2012 BMW 3 Series

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

German engineering and performance rules

By on Monday, May 1, 2017

Pros: "Quality, Performance"

Cons: "Electronic features are substandard"

"This was my first BMW and probably will not be my last. Although I purchased the car in the fall of 2013, I still enjoy driving it 3.5 years later. Overall, Ive had no significant issues with the vehicle. I did have to have the on-board computer replaced early on, but that was because I had trouble connecting my phone to the sound system. The vehicle has great power for a 4-cylinder, especially when its in sport mode. Note, tough, its still a 4 cylinder, so its initial take off isnt like that of a 6 cylinder. The vehicle looks and feels like it did on the day that I bought it, even though it has more than 56,000 miles on it. It doesnt have rattles, but it does have a little more road noise than I would expect. My only criticism of the 328 xi is its electronic gadgetry. For a modern car, the electronic features are cumbersome to use. For example, I rarely use the navigation system because its not intuitive and you have set the state, city, etc.. every time you use it. Additionally, it requires time and effort to input each digit of the house number and much of the street address. Also, the vehicle was supposed to allow me to access my text and emails through my iPhone. After much research, I found that the only way that it might work was to buy a 300 holder for my phone (which would have been obsolete a year later when the new model of iPhones came out). Lastly, the hands off feature easily gets confused. When I push the button, I never know if I will get the cars system or Siri. The choice appears random. Again, I truly enjoy the car and plan to keep driving it for several years to come. The only downside is the electronics, but I didnt buy a German-made car for its electronic gadgets."

Computer geeks ruined the ultimate driving machine

By on Sunday, October 2, 2016

Pros: "Great turbo 4 engine, responsive transmission"

Cons: "Infuriating electronics"

"BMW has taken what used to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine" and made it into a computer geek nightmare. The absurd electronics on my 2012 328i were an annoyance since the beginning, but when the $450 battery, which cannot be owner-replaced, failed after three years, that was the last straw. The battery failed because the electrical system never turns off, so if you go away for a week without hooking the car to a battery charger, the battery runs down. You can’t even disconnect the battery, or all the computers in the car crash. (Even modern jet aircraft let you do that!) Technology is wonderful when it makes something safer, more efficient, or somehow better, but technology for its own sake is a distraction, an annoyance, and an unjustifiable expense. Run-flat tires are fine, but if you live in the American West and venture more than 50 miles from a major city, you need a spare tire. Neglecting to provide one was bad enough; eliminating a well in the trunk to put an aftermarket spare was just plain stupid. Every car made since the invention of the automatic transmission has had a "P" position on the shifter. BMW replaced that with a separate button that must be pushed or you are faced with warning bells and flashing lights. Again, just stupid. Likewise removing the two-dollar oil dipstick and replacing it with a computer-driven system that probably costs a few hundred dollars and requires warming up the car, parking it on a perfectly level surface, and drilling down through menus on the iDrive system just to check the oil. But the last straw -- the reason that after driving BMWs for 30 years I am getting rid of this car and buying something reliable and Japanese that just works -- is the ridiculous computers that will never allow the electrical system to go to sleep, and therefore run the battery down if I go away for a week, to the point of giving a barrage of error messages and warnings, turning off accessories, and ultimately requiring battery replacement. And what genius came up with a system that determines battery state by driving history rather than the actual condition of the battery, so that even charging it before driving it doesn't clear the error messages or turn the accessories back on? Even the vaunted BMW driving experience was dumbed down when BMW switched from its marvelous hydromechanical power steering to an electronic system that feels dead by comparison I loved my previous BMWs. This one is nothing but a pain in the butt. I’m trading it for a Subaru."

Beatiful. Clean. Classy. Versatile.

By on Thursday, July 7, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, efficient, sporty, classy, techy"

Cons: "Price."

"I have the 2015 328I X-drive in silver and it is fantastic in all aspects. I have an affinity for well engineered machines, which is why I have gravitated towards BMW. They blend aesthetics with practicality, luxury, power and efficiency, and the end result is a car that capture the essence of who I am. The exterior of the vehicle is beautiful, clean, and classy. It is a pleasure to look at. The interior is well designed with elements that incorporate luxury with technology to envelope you in smart, classy, ergonomic, sporty and state of the art features. I was hesitant to go with a 4 cylinder engine...until I drove it. Again, even in this aspect BMW absolutely exceeds expectations. Most people expect a 4 cylinder engine to be sluggish and to under perform. BMW, however, changes that. They have optimized the performance of their 4 cylinder engine and added a "twin power" turbo. Everyone looks at horsepower, which appears a little low on these 328's, but what really throws you back into the seat isn't the horse power, it's the torque. This twin power turbo creates 255 lb-ft of ab strengthening torque. When you select sport mode, and step on the gas, it feels like you are getting launched off of an air craft carrier, pushing you from zero to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. To give you some perspective, a dodge viper is a dedicated, 2 seat sports car with an 8 liter, V-10 645 horse power engine. A 2015 Dodge Viper GTC does zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds. The 328 is no dodge viper, but it really gets up and moves. But, if you select Eco Pro, your 328 suddenly becomes so gas friendly oil companies start laying off workers. Most of the time you will probably be in comfort mode, which is a very satisfying combination of performance and fuel efficiency. If you have an affinity for design excellence, class, performance, efficiency, and luxury like I do, this is absolutely the car for you."

Fun, expensive

By on Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pros: "HUD - will never get another car without; I-Drive"

Cons: "Maintenance costs; attracts rocks & curbs"

"My 5th BMW, which have included two 5s and one convertible. This is a sedan with Heads Up Display and most bells and whistles. It's also my last BMW. I've had it with $1K visits to BMW service. The cars are great; price isn't even bad for what's included. Reliability is only OK, and Service is way out in left field for today's competition. Not worth it. Prolonged love affair over."

2013 BMW 335i M sport line

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "power, luxury, ipdo/iphone integration, beautiful"

Cons: "not digging the auto start option, neutral about r"

"This car is the definition of fun and class, I have been smiling since I got it. I love the sound of the engine and mostly the power that gives you once you press the pedal. Everybody would enjoy this car, even if you are driving to the market or cruising at high speeds in the highway."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals