2012 BMW 3 Series

Based on 100 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Makes you want to get out and drive, everyday!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2016

Pros: "Quick, planted, tech for days, always fun to drive"

Cons: "Rough ride on Michigan's bad roads,"

2016 328i xDrive M Sport

"About 8 years ago I passed on purchasing a new 2008 328 and ever since I have kept my eyes on the advancements and improvements that BMW has come up with. This past month I traded in my 15' Ford SHO for a 16' lightly used dealer CPO Msport,IMO the best looking set up outside of the M3. Going from my 365 hp 4400 lb SHO that felt like a freight train the 328 feels like a go cart and in a good way. Power always at the ready and the transmission always seems happy to play. The different drive modes are actually effective unlike some other brands. I love the idrive dial and technology and yet it keeps the classic BMW feel inside. Drove in a bad snow storm over the weekend and the awd system always felt planted and in control even when I pushed it. So far I love this car and I am excited to get in and drive it everyday."

2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Computer geeks ruined the ultimate driving machine

By on Sunday, October 2, 2016

Pros: "Great turbo 4 engine, responsive transmission"

Cons: "Infuriating electronics"

"BMW has taken what used to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine" and made it into a computer geek nightmare. The absurd electronics on my 2012 328i were an annoyance since the beginning, but when the $450 battery, which cannot be owner-replaced, failed after three years, that was the last straw. The battery failed because the electrical system never turns off, so if you go away for a week without hooking the car to a battery charger, the battery runs down. You can’t even disconnect the battery, or all the computers in the car crash. (Even modern jet aircraft let you do that!) Technology is wonderful when it makes something safer, more efficient, or somehow better, but technology for its own sake is a distraction, an annoyance, and an unjustifiable expense. Run-flat tires are fine, but if you live in the American West and venture more than 50 miles from a major city, you need a spare tire. Neglecting to provide one was bad enough; eliminating a well in the trunk to put an aftermarket spare was just plain stupid. Every car made since the invention of the automatic transmission has had a "P" position on the shifter. BMW replaced that with a separate button that must be pushed or you are faced with warning bells and flashing lights. Again, just stupid. Likewise removing the two-dollar oil dipstick and replacing it with a computer-driven system that probably costs a few hundred dollars and requires warming up the car, parking it on a perfectly level surface, and drilling down through menus on the iDrive system just to check the oil. But the last straw -- the reason that after driving BMWs for 30 years I am getting rid of this car and buying something reliable and Japanese that just works -- is the ridiculous computers that will never allow the electrical system to go to sleep, and therefore run the battery down if I go away for a week, to the point of giving a barrage of error messages and warnings, turning off accessories, and ultimately requiring battery replacement. And what genius came up with a system that determines battery state by driving history rather than the actual condition of the battery, so that even charging it before driving it doesn't clear the error messages or turn the accessories back on? Even the vaunted BMW driving experience was dumbed down when BMW switched from its marvelous hydromechanical power steering to an electronic system that feels dead by comparison I loved my previous BMWs. This one is nothing but a pain in the butt. I’m trading it for a Subaru."

Still a Great Sports Sedan

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Well built, great handling, fuel economy, BMW feel"

Cons: "Could use more grunt, engine can sound weak"

"I bought my new 320i as my commuter car. I traded in a 2011 Subaru WRX which was a real hoot to drive, but was noisy and fairly crude. I had owned a 2005 325i so was not new to BMW. Firstly, my car came with the Premium package, heated seats, and leather. So-equipped it is luxurious, has tons of bells and whistles, and looks very upscale. I debated about the 320i over the 328i because of engine power. As it turns out, saving the $4-7k by going with the 320i was a good decision for the most part. Acceleration is more than adequate but won't take your breath away (no match for the WRX). Particularly in normal driving, it will keep up with anything. Handling is typical 3-series - planted, confidence-inspiring, and predictable. The 8-speed auto seems a little busy to me, but it helps with mileage and performance. So far I'm getting 33 mpg in my daily driving. I wish I could have found one with the sport package as well, but I can live without it. What I don't like about the car is as follows: could use a little more power, the seats are a little too flat for my taste (but nicely upholstered in leather), the iDrive (though hugely improved) is still a little odd at times, the engine can at times sound a little anemic even if not. If you've ever heard a WRX with the optional SPT exhaust, you'll know what a 4-cylinder should sound like. All of these are minor nits and I highly recommend the car. I looked at the Mercedes C250 (underpowered and some of the styling details are weird), the Audi A4 (great build quality but didn't feel as robust or fast the 320i) and the Acura TL (couldn't bring myself to buy a non-German car this time around though it was certainly well equipped and well built)."

Love this car!!!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, looks great, best value among 3's"

Cons: "none!!!"

"We bought the '14 320i a couple of months ago, and are loving it so far!!! Also drove the '14 328i, and glad we didn't pony up the extra $4K because the 320i felt virtually the same. The car has 3 transmission modes which you can select at your fingertips, and feels like 3 different cars. In the sport mode, the steering suddenly becomes much tighter and the car just leaps out when you tap lightly on the gas pedal - always leaves me smiling ear to ear! We chose the drivers assistance package, and the rear camera plus sensors at the 4 corners are a HUGE help. The navigation system has a nice large color screen and voice commands. The iDrive controller has a touch pad, and best of all, it lets you search stuff such as a restaurant's name by "writing" the first few characters with your finger (the software recognizes the handwriting)! The car automatically syncs with the iPhone unfailingly, and the steering even includes controls to look up recent numbers. The audio system is great, and the car lets you save entire CD's (we were told upto 2000 CD's) onto its internal hard disk - not sure if this feature comes only with the navigation system, but we find this very useful. The '14 3-series has the best looking exterior design among BMW's in recent memory, and we love the refined interiors too. We were told that the car sends a different encryption code to the remote every time, and that the car doesn't turn on when the remote is not in the immediate vicinity, so in theory, no one intercepting your remote's signal should be able to break in - hopefully that's true. Overall very very satisfied!"

328ix:The best sport sedan!

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

Cons: "Not cheap."

"An absolute joy to drive. I have a 60 mile commute. My previous car was a Honda Insight- never again. 30 mpg real world. Fast. Handles like a sports car. Comfortable. Excellent seats. I have had a range of fun and exciting cars (Miata, 911, Corvette, Audi S4, Subaru WRX, Saab 9000 Aero), and this is the first automobile that does everything so well."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals