2008 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1070 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Great performance marred by reliability issues.

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Performance"

Cons: "Reliability and cost to own"

"My BMW 335i has a great engine and, with the sport package, excellent handling although the ride is quite firm but I like it like that. I bought it used - it was not CPO - with about a year left on the original warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when the original expired. Good thing I did, because the extended warranty has saved me thousands, more than twice what it cost with a year still remaining. Problems include water pump, fuel sending unit and injectors, electric window and mirror mechanisms, suspension mounts, plus more and not to mention that maintenance and tires are insanely expensive. I love the car and will probably get another but would not own any Bimmer without warranty protection."

Good 2nd car for single person

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Extremely high cost of ownership"

"An auto mechanics dream. AC repair, brake sensors, brake pads, and other less costly repairs plus high cost routine maintenance and I have spent almost $5000 in the past 5000 miles. No wonder the warranty ends at 40,000 miles."

fun to drive, expensive to repair

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "very expensive to repair"

"car has had some problems, nothing major. The red warning light for the transmission just started coming on and it had to get water pump replaced, $1000. I would not buy a used bmw without having a well trained shop check it out and run diagnostic computer tests on it before buying it."

Nice ride when running!

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Styling. Ride."

Cons: "Not reliable. Money pit. Bad engineering"

"Does not deserve the reputation for quality or engineering. Beautiful styling, and comfortable ride. But that's where the positives end. Ordered mine from the factory new. Had problems from the first month I took delivery. First 4 years (50K miles) BMW fixed everything at no charge. But after 50K when the warranty expired I started paying about $4,000 to $6,000 per year for repaires, not counting scheduled maintenance. Before buying the BMW I had 5 Hondas. I thought I was upgrading in quality when I bought the BMW. What a mistake! New Honda CRV just came out. I am trading the BMW in and never buying one again."

Great car

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "Handling, quality, looks (from the front)."

Cons: "Smallish back seat. Slow acceleration."

"Purchased car as 3rd vehicle about 1 year ago. It had about 55k miles on it. We love the vehicle. So much so that it has moved up to a daily driver rather than a 3rd vehicle. Thus far (knock on wood) no issues with reliability. The car handles great. Acceleration could be better but then again if you want acceleration you buy a M series. I am a big guy (6 ft 2 and about 275) I can drive/ride compfortably. The back seat is a little small for anyone but adults that are smaller or children."

unreliable

By on Saturday, December 19, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "too much maintenance. cheap plastic parts"

"I had 3 series since 2000. The first one, a 1987 model was very good, a daily driver. The second was a 2002 model, very good that my son now drives, at 151kmiles. Then I bought my wife a 2011 328 which now has 55kmiles and I drive a 09 335i. Both Late models consistently eat a quarter of oil every 3000 miles. They also like chewing on spark plugs and ignition coils. The 2011 had plugs replaced at 50kmiles, completely worn, along with a 5th cylinder ignition coil. Water pumps go between 45k miles and 70 k miles, expect to spend around $1,200, and don't delay replacing these, they are plastic made and will fail. If you drive on a failed pump your engine will fry. Window regulators are made of cheap plastic, expect to replace them after 50 k miles. A/C compressor used to fail at 120 k miles, the E90 models start growling at 60 k miles. Also, the heat in Texas makes the interior panels peel off. In summary, it seems like BMW currently makes 60k mile cars. I doubt I will have another one. I will miss the sharp driving but it is just not worth the hassle."

Premium Performance Machine at a Great Value

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "Excellent daily driver for the money!"

Cons: "Other cars can't get out of the way fast enough ;)"

"Simply put this is my favorite car that I've ever owned. Sporty Coupe, with the sport package for great handling like its on rails. The factory sound system is the best, wishing my home system sounded this good! The 335 twin turbo has bunches of power and torque for spirited driving anytime you want."

For those that love driving

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Handling, responsive, acceleration, gas mileage"

Cons: "Interior features, run flat tires with no spare"

"I was looking for a dependable, well built, 4 door sedan that still retained a sporty feel. This car fit the bill and then some. I looked at lexus, toyota, honda, acura, but it seemed most of the cost of the higher end vehicles went into interior bells and whistles and NOT how the car handled. The BMW is first a sports car, second a sedan and you can feel that when driving it. Love love the handling, the braking and the responsiveness of the car. Its solid, well built and I have had no mechanical problems. The gas mileage on this car is GREAT for a V-6 (and with my heavy footed driving). I get 26 mpg with mostly in town driving, and 31.5 mpg on the highway. There are only a couple complaints I have that prevent this from being a 5 star vehicle. First, run flat tires are a pain, and with no spare in the trunk you are a bit stuck with your choices. In a colder climate with winter damaged roads, run flats are not real practical and a rough hard ride. I finally went with a better non run flat tire, and purchased triple A coverage. The car rides MUCH better now, I am just crossing my fingers for no flat anytime soon. The interior is lacking a lot of extras, which I am fine with but some folks might find a negative. Cup holders are not very practical, very little interior storage (the manual will not even fit in the glove box), and for some reason they decided to put the lock/unlock button in the center of the dash which means you have to get IN the car to unlock the doors essentially. Also, some of the orange text in the displays is a pain with polarized sun glasses (seems minor, but you cannot read the radio/display with them on). If you can afford it and you live in a colder climate, I highly recommend the xi model for the AWD. Rear wheel drive in snow run flats equals no fun."

Truly an ultimate driving machine!

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Great car to drive, less maintenance"

Cons: "Mileage"

"I owned my 325xi since March of 2006. So far, I just love my car! It is a pleasure to drive it. You wouldn't appreciate the real pleasure of driving this car unless you drive a rental car for maybe couple of weeks and come back to it. Maintenance - After the factory warranty had expired in 2010, I had two major expenses out of pocket - 1) Replaced the front and rear break pads in 2011 ~ $500 2) Replaced the battery for the first time in 2014 ~ $300. Other than those two expenses, I just do the normal engine oil service, break fluid flush, etc. The only concern I have at the moment is about the mileage, I only get ~18 Miles/Ga at the moment maybe due to my city commute to work."

I love this car PERIOD.

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Power, handling, options"

Cons: "Maybe just the window switch placement."

"I have had this car for 3 years and still can't wait to drive it everyday. I don't have a single complaint. I have an 2000 BMW 328ci (I just couldn't say goodbye) and a 2012 Camaro SS. The Camaro may have a bit more power but this beast does what all BMW claim to give the ultimate driving experience. The Camaro is nice to drive sure but I still can't get over how a sedan with a six cylinder handles and puts out enough power to plant you in your seat and the best part is my wife doesn't have to hold on for dear life as she doesn't realize I just got off a 180 degree exit ramp doing 80, haha. Just a great car all around. No problems to date except a window regulator which I fixed with a replacement part for $18."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals