• New Car Buyer's Guides
  • The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015

2008 BMW 3 Series

Based on 1040 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

I've enjoyed it, my favorite BMW to date

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "Fun Reliable Convenient"

Cons: "cup holders are shallow"

"I bought the car new, it's a 2008, and it was perfect for me. I love to drive, and thoroughtly enjoyed the handling of this car. I just couldn't live without the carrying capacity and convenience of a wagon, and love the sporty look along with the zippy drive. Back home, the road are windy and hilly, and this car loved the terrain. I particularly liked the panoramic roof, it opened wide enough that I didn't miss the convertible I used to have! Have I mentioned how great the wagon is? I transported a full kitchen of ready to assemble cabinets from an Ikea back home to my place on the the Gulf Coast of Florida. Another time, I drove straight through 1100 miles, to make a deadline and definitely wished the seat was more plush, but that might have been the case with any car. I've had several BMW's through the last 25 years, and this is the smallest one yet, and it's been a gem, reliable, convenient and very fun to drive. I'm replacing it, because my husband has a long upper body, and at 6'3" and 245# finds the headroom a bit cramped for his height, but his head nearly touches the roof of his car, so he often offers to drive, even though I prefer to drive, hence the reason why my mileage is so low. (I secretly think he's jealous how much I love my car, and that the local fireman during the boot collection remarked that he didn't realize BMW made wagons, and that it looked sexy!) I wish BMW made this body style still, I'm not as fond of the "chunky" looking X1, so, not sure what else I'll buy. Maintainance was always done at the dealership, and since I never had anything beyond oil changes, tires and brakes, I can't complain about maintenance cost, but I also spent $4000 for the platinum extended warranty since I often travel long distance alone. Not that I expected to use it, but that I haven't needed it. As insurance, BMW warranties are expensive, but if I had needed it, I wouldn't have complained about the price! If I had any complaint, the cup holders were adequate and held my large Iced Tea securely. However, none of my BMW's had cup holders to get excited about, but I knew this going in. This car is for driving, so pay attention and leave the snacks behind!"

Good 2nd car for single person

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "Extremely high cost of ownership"

"An auto mechanics dream. AC repair, brake sensors, brake pads, and other less costly repairs plus high cost routine maintenance and I have spent almost $5000 in the past 5000 miles. No wonder the warranty ends at 40,000 miles."

BEST CAR EVER OWNED

By on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Pros: "great price and great car"

"From the time I steped on the lot this was the vehicle that caught my eye. A rare BMW color of barrique red. I then looked at the nomenclature (the number) and noticed that it was an XI model. 6mt, awd, 4 door, beautiful color, with brown lether interior and burled walnut accents. What a perfect car. Handling is great in all weather conditions. Will instill confidence in your driving ablities. Great car to own and drive."

Best Car BMW Makes

By on Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Pros: "Torque, ride, handling, mileage"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires"

"This car is absolutely amazing. It drives great, sporty but with a decent ride. The 425 lb ft of torque combined with terrific handling make it a blast to drive. And, to top it off, it gets between 35-40 mpg going about 80 mph. Out of 7 previous BMWs, this is unquestioningly the best I have owned. My only quibble is BMW's practice of using run-flat tires. They are horrible. I changed them out the first week I bought the car, drastically improving ride quality, handling, and tire noise."

highly recommended for a sporty family car

By on Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Pros: "Consumer reports said unreliable but not for me!"

Cons: "Too fast for teens!"

"Relative expensive new but it proved to be worth the price I will buy a new one again. Once the turbo cutting out was fixed under warranty the car proved to be very reliable! The power of this car is spectacular but driven normally I average 27 mpg and better! My car is 2 wheel drive but with good snow tires I never feared getting stuck in ne pa. I now have 88'ooo and the car is still tite and runs like new."

Solid car great handling and economical

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

"This is my third BMW three series and I'm not disappointed. This is a solid car,great handling and economical."

a real driving machine

By on Sunday, March 08, 2015

"this is not for kids or going to grocery. meant to be driven. no american made like it. very fast."

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

"Great handling and stability. Solid car"

Amazing car, smooth, fast pick up.. gorgeous lines

By on Saturday, February 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, low profile tires, looks fantastic"

Cons: "No back up cam, limited interior storage"

"Love, love this car... such a pleasure to look at and drive; every time I get in I have fun, and the heated seats just add to that! I've never owned a car that hugged the turns so well, or allowed me to enter traffic and keep up a brisk pace with such ease and confidence. The only drawback is the bucket seat, in that it is a little hard to get in and out of if you're not used to a low profile car. Not good for someone who needs tons of cushioning or who has bad hips let's say. It's a sports car, and that's what makes it awesome! This driving machine is to love and use if that's what you're looking for! Only reason I'm selling it is that we are getting ready to move out west to mountain area, and I need to look at 4WD... sad to let her go, but this is truly a driver's car with good looks and a spectacular engine!!"

I love this car...!!

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pros: "German Engineering"

Cons: "German Engineering is expensive"

"This car drives like a dream, it zips around town hugging the edges, is sexy. This is the "ultimate" driving experience. I have driven loaner cars while I have had my regular maintenance and I do not like the new models as well. The road handling and power is the best for the price."

Great performance

By on Friday, February 13, 2015

Pros: "Great stying, perfomance and comfort"

Cons: "run flat tires expensive and no spare if others"

"This car handles better than any car i've owned and is a blast to drive. It is comfortable around town and on a road trip and has been reliable."

this car is a dream!

By on Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, sporty, a pleasurable drive"

Cons: "maintenance is pricey, but it's a BMW so expected."

"I have owned my 2009 328i since 2012 and to date I have had NO problems with this vehicle. Other than routine maintenance, this car is like easy street. I truly love this car!"

Poor quality & reliability!

By on Monday, January 19, 2015

"Very poor quality & reliability. I seldom drive the car because I am afraid a warning light will come on."

Love it!

By on Thursday, January 15, 2015

"This is the ultimate driving machine!"

Love it, but I'm going to have to sell it

By on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Pros: "Best car ever"

Cons: "Maintenance is ridiculous"

"I absolutely love my car. It was my dream. But not even 2 years later and almost $8,000+ in repairs I just cannot continue. The hardest part is that it's the best car I've ever owned. Fun to drive. Sexy. Comfortable and the drive experience is absolutely amazing. If you can afford to fix the issues it doesn't matter but repairs are outrageous and totally necessary. In looking up reviews sadly I am not the only person with this problem thus my decision to let her go. I may buy another BMW but I will be very wary of what I decide to get.. Sad to let her go :("

Superman in the rain, sport luxury perfection

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Power, MPG, Grip, Stereo, Fit and Finish"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance and eats tires."

"We have owned this car for 7 years and it's been a great car the entire time. Better in the snow than our X5. Surprisingly fast everyday, but in the rain its the fastest thing on the road. The stereo that comes with the luxury pack is amazing. The car has been flawlessly reliable, but maintenance is expensive. It does chew up tires every 30k miles. Sporty handling in all conditions. Everything works as you would expect on a BMW and has held up well. No surprises."

Can't tell it is diesel, snow is trouble

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "great to drive"

Cons: "needs 4 wheel drive, now offered"

"The diesel is quiet, cannot tell any difference with gasoline engines. Great comfort features, quality body, some minor and one major concerns. Minor concerns: Navigation system cumbersome, does not store contacts for phone, takes minutes to load each trip Major concern: Rear wheel drive needs snow tires, cannot handle ice, adds to expense to have two sets of wheels and tires"

Love this car

By on Friday, November 28, 2014

Pros: "Great car to drive with good mileage"

Cons: "Cup holder feels like cheap material."

"This 6-speed manual is very smooth and exciting to drive. We feel safe taking corners. Have had no mechanical or electrical problems. Minor issues have been a broken cup holder which seems cheaply manufactured for this car. Four year warranty covered the cup holder, torn leather sleeve covering the hand brake, and a broken seat glide shield. Purchased our sportswagon in Orange County NY in Sept 2011. The following month we drove to St. Petersburg, FL where we now live. This vehicle made the drive enjoyable and easy."

Best imaginable Car at the Price

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Performance, Range, Handling, Fuel Economy, MaxFun"

Cons: "High initial cost of BNWs, but the best value."

"Read the professional reviews of this car. They all agree that it's one of the best they've ever driven thanks to the incredible straight 6 cylinder twin scroll turbo diesel with 260 hp and 425 lb-ft of torque. The car is under-stressed at highway speed (80 mph at 2000 rpm) and with the sports package, will do an honest 150 mph. (Check out the YouTube videos of this car on the autobahn!) I've never met a hill where it even slowed down! With all this performance, it still gets 25 mpg around town and 30+ on the highway (I've seen over 40 mpg cruising on Hwy 5.) This car has all of the features and performance of the best 335i's with more torque and much better mileage. Yes, diesel fuel can be more expensive than supreme, but the better mileage more than makes up for the difference. Also, the range of the car is 400 miles. A nice feature for us who want to limit our trips for refueling. This car has all the features of the best 3-series plus full torque from 1700 rpm, the highest top speed next to the M3, and incredible mileage. The 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty has covered everything except tires, including a new battery after 40,000 miles on the odometer! The 2011 335d was the last of the performance diesels in the 3-series. The new 328d is the European 320d and has a 4 cylinder turbo engine. It is really about 2/3 of this car in every way."

Sad To Sell

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Performance, comfort, and reliability."

Cons: "Replacement tires are very expensive."

"This is the car I wanted for years, and I finally bought it as new. The car is so fun to drive, and the only reason I'm selling it, is because I've moved to a state where fwd or awd are mandatory due to the weather conditions. The performance, comfort, and reliability are excellent, and I will really miss my buddy."

Completely changed my mind about BMW's

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "twin turbo, awesome seats, exterior features"

Cons: "FACTORY TIRES, paddle shifters, interior, price"

"With this being my first German automobile, i can say that my mind is blown. The 335i offers awesome performance capabilities, while also possessing comfortability. The interior could offer more for the price you pay, but once you get behind the wheel, interior is a thing in the past. The exterior has neck breaking features that will look good even a decade from now. For being a 5,000lb car, the thing handles amazing in rain, sleet, and snow. This twin turbo machine possesses a lot of low-end torque that puts you in your seat and makes driving terrific when you're feeling like a speed demon. The gas mileage is a little disappointing. With this being a twin turbo 6 cylinder, i always find myself wanting to bury my foot in the gas, but even driving casually i find myself only getting around 15mpg city and 23hwy. This a sports car, so expect the suspension to be on the firm side, especially with factory run-flat tires."

Looks nice, but not worth it

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

"The amount of times I have had to service this car is absolutely insane. Every bit of service is incredibly expensive and all the random electronic parts go awry often. Additionally, I have not had the best experience with BMW as a company."

A true pleasure to drive

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "Style, performance, comfort, stereo system"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain"

"I've owned my 330xi for four years and put 80,000 miles on it. And I love it. It's great fun to drive on the highways, in the twisties, and in the snow. Repairs/replacements (brakes, shocks, struts, run-flat tires) can be fairly pricy, though. Shop around. Just can't beat the BMW driving experience."

Fantastic blend of luxury and performance

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Performance, Handling, Styling, Build Quality"

Cons: "Stock Rear Differential is Open Design"

"I am absolutely a gearhead and someone who pays close to attention to all of the details of how a car is made, it's aftermarket appeal, or the quality of the driving experience in stock form it delivers. Although many cars offer similar options as the 335i like heated and power seats, automatic windshield wipers (these are superior to others I've used/had in other makes version), moonroof, etc. there are some key differences in the 335i. BMW's rack and pinion steering is absolutely one of the best on the market. The car is predictable and you always feel like you are in complete control of the car but not pushing the car past what it can do. The powertrain is purely astonishing. Everything from the motor, transmission, and fuel system are designed to handle power levels far beyond it's stock rating. (which is underrated by about 10% by the way). This is great for someone who is looking into aftermarket enchancements for greater power, or someone who simply looking for long term reliability from a car in stock form. Once you combine the interior luxury (no it's not an Aston Martin of course), but the interior is completely functional. It's not overly flashy, but everything works and is very clean. The retractable cupholders are a great touch and storage is ample. What really sets this car apart for me though is the timeless exterior styling and the twin turbo inline 6 forged internals powerplant, or better known as the N54. Truly a fantastic car that is tough to be without jumping up into a much higher price point. It's the little things like the active headlights and additional side light that turns on when you make a turn, the automatic wipers, the adjustable seat bolsters, the twin turbo motor, you just know you're not in an average car."

Great Vehicle 2 have, you wont look back @ Gassers

By on Friday, October 17, 2014

Pros: "Excellent mileage,fun to drive,LOTS of Torque"

Cons: "EGR/DPF/Urea Tank all 3 are a pain on your 335d"

My car

"I ordered my car, the I6 Twin Scroll DIESEL is a beast once its moded, but there is a MAJOR flaw and it is that BMWoA did not see, and that is the infamous UREA tank, DPF and sensor will go out constantly luckily the warranty helps out. Also, the EGR(exhaust gas recirculator) is very detrimental for the engine and will cause CBU(carbon build up) something BMWoA i aware off and will not pay for , yes, you have to pay for the cleaning. Otherwise, the car is EXCELLENT, the other alternative is to forgo the DPF/EGR and code it out"

My car

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 3 Series near Honolulu. See local deals