1995 Alfa Romeo 164

Based on 18 Ratings for the 1992 - 1995 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"This is a wonderful car. I had it for 3 years, and it was excellent for me. I had no good mechanic, but I was able to conduct much of the maintenance myself. It performs like a car 20 times the price! Don't think this is competition for a E-300 or a 525i of the same year, because it is in another league performance and styling wise entirely!"

Great Italian Sports Sedan

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"I am the second owner of a 1991 L and have had a great deal of fun driving this car. It is important to find a good Italian car mechanic as I have had "European" auto shops turn me away because they don't want to work on Alfas. Even though this car was made on the same platform as some other European cars and has Bosch FI as all Euros do. You will be hard pressed to find a better handling sports sedan. Even with FWD it is a great car to drive hard; you hardly notice that it is FWD unless you break the front tires loose when leaving all other sedans at the stop light. Mine walks to the right when broken loose and it is something that you must acclimatize yourself to. There are probably a couple of sedans that can beat it from 0 to 60 but I have yet to have ANY sedan (and a good deal of "sports" cars) keep up from 0 to 100. That is just what I hear as I would never do that myself. I mean, what fun is it to be a forty-something white guy in a sedan and blow the twenty-somethings in their mustangs and camaros off the line. I do need to hang on to them in first gear but once we get to 2nd it's adios amigo. I have had no engine or transmission related problems in the 10+ years that I have owned the 164 but do have some difficulty dummying down the engine to get it through the annual emission inspection."

Excellent Sedan

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I have owned a 1991 164 S for 8 years and it is a wonderful car. Fast, beautiful, fun, safe (I am told), and economical, at 27 MPG highway. Mine has about 160,000 miles. It can be hard to find a good mechanic who will work on it, but once you do, the car is as reliable as other European cars, however, some parts can be hard to find. A mass air flow meter needed replacement and aside from being extremely expensive, the mechanic had difficulty locating one. I am, however, told this part is something that rarely goes, so that can explain the reason for this. Also, the spark plugs on the S and Q can be hard to find and expensive if using the factory plugs, although other plugs work fine and are easier to find. That said, most parts are less than those for BMWs, Mercedes, way less than Jag, Porsche, and Audi parts, and about the same as parts for Saabs and Volvos. One strange thing, the car has diffuculty running on California's 91 octane- I usually mixed it with some 100 octane at certain 76 stations, although 93 octane in other states works normally (I have owned the car while living on both coasts). It can be run on 91(most owners do this) although there may be some knocking at certain RPMs. On 91 while in CA, I never had trouble passing the strict emissions there, even with high mileage. The car is quiet and rides well, plus, you get many "thumbs up". I definately recommend a 164."

Always a big smile

By on Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Sold this car once and bought a 97 BMW 528. Loved the 528 but the 1995 164Q kept haunting me. It came up for sale about 2years ago and I bought it back. I've owned over 60 cars in my life but this one just put's a big smile on my face (except when something goes wrong, but it doesn't often enough to ruin it) everytime I fire it up with the Magnaflow I put on it. 150K miles and doesn't burn any oil and if fast as stink. If you can get one, do it."

European luxury

By on Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pros: "For a sedan it is very sporty and fast"

Cons: "A lot of electrical, alarm is tricky"

"Even tho this car is old, it is amongst the nicest I have owned. I would not sell it for what they say it is worth. It handles very well, gets good mileage, very reliable, never breaks down. It has power everything, which I thought would be a problem...so far so good. I will keep this car until it gets a decent burial!"

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Alfa Romeo 164 near Honolulu. See local deals