2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews

Bad tranmission - warning

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I owned this car until very recently but bought it brand new. I did not know the problems I was going to have until after I owned it for three years. Then the fun started. First, an intermitant electrical problem confounded the mechanics. After four attempts it was realized the engine sensor was bad and nothing was wrong with the car. That was a relatively inexpensive $500 repair covered under the extended warranty I purchased. Then, at 63,000 miles the tranmission went. I rescued my wife and drove the car to the dealership in third gear (the only gear working) There we found out we were #8. Number 8 of what? In line for a transmission - there were 7 other Acura TLs in for the same transmission replacement, and it was on back order since they are failing all over the United States on Acura TLs, Acura MDXs, and Honda Accord V6s (they all share the same five speed transmission). After a month of waiting we were finally able to get a $4500 transmission installed. This was also under the extended warranty, which cost about $1200 - well worth it considering the car had $5000 repairs at this point. We were warned that this replaced the transmission, but did not fix the problem as it was still in the new transmission - and to expect it to fail again at double the mileage if our driving habits stayed the same. At 81,000 miles the electrical problem returned, this time it was the oxygen sensor on the engine as well as the engine senor failing a second time. This repair was another $1500 - again under the extended warranty bringing the total to $6500. Immediately after this repair, we sold the car (with the $50 fee to transfer the warranty to the next owner). The warranty was going to run out in 19,000 miles and I did not want to have to pay for repairing a car that had never been super reilable."

I love my TL

By on Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, power and stereo system."

Cons: "2003 model had transmission problems."

"I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and this one has responded extremely well. Very nimble and always ready with a burst of power when needed. The only reason I'm even considering another vehicle is to move more people and pets."

horrible transmissions

By on Sunday, September 2, 2007

"these cars look awsome and are very comfortable. the only problem is the transmissions are very prone to failure. acura extended the warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles. there is a safty recall for the transmissions and there are numerous people who are on there third and fourth transmissions. i will be staying away from acura from now on."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo...

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted