2001 Acura TL

Based on 491 Ratings for the 1999 - 2003 models.

I love my TL

By on Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pros: "Great handling, power and stereo system."

Cons: "2003 model had transmission problems."

"I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and this one has responded extremely well. Very nimble and always ready with a burst of power when needed. The only reason I'm even considering another vehicle is to move more people and pets."

99 TL with 252,000 miles

By on Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, super reliable"

Cons: "A highway cruiser not a canyon carver."

"Great car, the power train has outlasted the steering wheel and dash lights. I'm sick of looking at it but it just won't die."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Go for it, you won't be sorry"

Cons: "make sure timing belt was changed"

"Except for some initial teething problems, this is the best car I've ever owned. The car had to have the transmission swapped out at 34,000 miles, but since then, nothing else has broken down on it. Who ever thought the entire exhaust system would last 13 years and 149,000 miles, and still is intact? Ditto, the alternator, radiator, power steering, shock absorbers, etc? My Acura mechanic (who by the way, always asks me to sell my car to him)told me the engine will easily pass 350,000 miles. Go Acura!"

Falling Apart

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"I am the original owner of this '02 TL. Initialy, I loved the car. A great highway cruiser. 28+ mpg on the road. Great sound system. Rode and drove very well. Then, the clearcoat started to turn white. After that, it started to peal off the trunk area, then all over. Very disapointing. The entire car needs repainting. Then the transmission went out. Yes, a new one had to be installed. The front left wheel bearing went out, and the transformer for one of the headlights also. A $880 fix for the headlight at the dealer. I now have more money in the car than it's worth. My 17 yr. old drives it now."

Very reliable, even after 15 years.

By on Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Pros: "Reliable"

"I bought my TL as my first car with just under 150K miles on it. I got it fairly cheap, but the car has been anything but cheap. The VTEC engine runs very strong and hard, and is very fun to drive. Im over 170,000 miles and the only problems I've had were a starter (normal for a 15 year old car) and dents from previous owner. This car is very reliable, and if you keep up with maintenance it will last you well over 200K miles. Its got all the bells and whistles such as leather seats and bose sound systems. I will be coming back to Acura for my next vehicle."

It keeps going and going and going

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Very zippy and sporty feel. Great gas mileage."

Cons: "If I had to knit pick, seats are a little stiff."

"To keep it short and simple this car has never let me down. I almost hate to move on from it. 158,000 miles and not a single malfunction or repair needed.... just remarkable."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Good acceleration, handling, smooth ride, reliable"

Cons: "Outside door frame wrap peels"

"I bought my 2000 TL new in late 1999 and have only put 73,000 miles on it because of a short work commute and a hubbie who likes to drive his own vehicle for trips. The only time this car has not started right up is twice when it needed new batteries. It's has great acceleration and handling and is very comfortable to sit in and drive. Being geographically challenged, the Nav system has been a blessing! The Nav is easy to use and delivers me to the accurate location. I'll be sorry to sell it but my nephew is bugging me...he wants it next."

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSIONS

By on Friday, June 4, 2010

"DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING ONE OF THESE...TRANNYS ARE TERRIBLE...SO BAD IN FACT THAT ACURA HAD TO EXTEND THE TRANSMISSION WARRANTY DUE TO THE PRESSURE FROM OWNERS."

just a great car

By on Saturday, April 3, 2010

"My TL Type S has 232000k miles. Never had a problem. My miles are all freeway Los Gato to Auburn, Auburn to Los Gatos every week since new in 2002. Great MPG."

Best BANG for your BUCKS car

By on Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Bought this car for $6K even w/ 150K miles. Why so many miles you might ask? With Acuras, I don't hesistate 'cause like my last Acura w/ 200K miles (which got totaled by another car), they don't break...period. Got my mechanic to check this one out before buying, he said 'Wow, 150K and no oil Leaks?' No CV joint issue, no a/c problem. Just leather, cold A/C and Bose sound system...perfect. Dollar for Dollar, I don't think u can beat the value and reliability offered by an Acura in any luxury class."

As good as it gets

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"I have owned this car for 7 years and it has been the best all round car I have owned in 38 years of driving. Comfortable, roomy, reliable, drives and handles well. All the desired options are standard and the climate control is strong and quiet. I love that engine. Ample power, and gets 23-24 mpg around town and 28-31 on the highway @ 75+. Transmission is smooth and solid. Paint and interior still look new although it is not garaged. Acura service and warranty top notch. Only a couple minor issues in 114k miles. The automatic rear mirror went bad, but replaced under warranty even though car had 60k on it. Passenger seat airbag sensor failed and also replaced under warranty. One set of front brakes, 4 tires and 1 battery is all it has needed other than routine fluid and filter changes. If I had to replace this car tomorrow I would buy a 2002 or 2003. The TL was redesigned in 2004 into a slightly larger version. The 2000-2003s are a "just right" fully optioned, comfortable and reliable car. Conservative and pleasant styling that looks reasonably upscale, but a frugal car that is always ready to go when I turn the key. I plan to get 200k miles out of my car."

Well-Balanced Package

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Bought my 2003 Type-S certified with 64K, now has 83K. I like this car a lot and will be sad when it is time to part with it. Only major out-of-pocket expense was brake rotors. Basically a trouble-free car. I have not had the transmission issues well-known with this generation of the TL. I average 24 MPG mixed city and freeway driving, which is good for the ample power and size of the car. The TL Type-S is a great value because it has all of the modern safety features and luxury essentials, while providing a nice blend of performance and comfort. This is a well-balanced package. Honda deserves praise for the graceful styling, I like the newer exterior designs far less. The Bose sound system is excellent. Plenty of room for rear-seat passengers and cavernous trunk space. The interior is comfortable and of high quality, but lacks the more modern look. The gauges are large and nice to look at. Acceleration and handling are two strong points of the Type-S. This front-driver works better in the turns than my rear-drive BMW Z3 that is about 500 pounds lighter!"

Great for the money

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Bought my 2002 3.2 TL Type S brand spanking new in October 2001. Made the move to a "10-Year" car from my 1997 Honda Civic (which I love to this day) with 130,000 miles. Compared the Acura against the BMW 3 Series, Audi A-4, Lexus IS-250 and decided I could really enjoy the money I was saving by buying Acura. I knew the quality of Honda products and expected the reliability. Replaced first transmission at 50,001 miles at Acura's cost. Replaced 2nd transmission at 98,000 miles at Acura's cost. I've got 151,000 miles on the car now and the tranny is slipping a tad but not enough to make me worry...yet. Love the understated power of the car and how it "looks like another family car" until you punch it! Been through a boat load of tires but have had no issues other than the tranny. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles, I had the timing belt replaced at 100,000 and I still love the car. My only wish is they would have put the 6-speed manual from the CL Type S into this car."

My 4th Acura - Keep them coming!

By on Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, reliable, powerful, looks great."

Cons: "Some new toys are attractive - electric?"

"Previous three Acuras (back to a Legend) all went over 250K without a bit of mechanical trouble - compared to my cars from Ford, Buick, Mazda, Pontiac, Datsun (!) and even an Opal (that got totaled by the dealer while repairing). After 60 years riding around with others in everything from Porsche to Cadillac to Prius, I have never had or seen a more comfortable, thoughtful, reliable automobile."

Drives and feels brand new

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "Acceleration, reliability, fun to drive"

Cons: "Headlights are expensive."

"Love my 2000 TL. Rarely needs a repair and drives like brand new. Super solid structure. Exceptional radio and great acceleration."

Best Car Ever

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Excellent quality, comfortable and a joy to drive."

Cons: "None."

"This is the best car I've ever owned. There is nothing I don't love about my Acura 3.2 TL."

Reliable, comfortable and all around quality car

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"This car has a good look to it, is reliable, runs great despite high mileage. Gas pedal is a bit stiff and the controls on the dash and radio are a bit outdated for its year. Air conditioner and heater are great especially on auto and the defogger works in seconds. Overall a good car to have for a long time."

Love this car!

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Great to drive, comfortable (even the back seat)"

Cons: "Paint hasn't really held up after 10 years"

"I bought my 1999 Acura TL new and have loved it ever since! It still drives great and is a wonderful vehicle. It does need a good paint job right now, but other than that it's held up marvelously!"

Great Car- still have it

By on Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"The only thing I needed was a new transmission and Acura replaced it at no cost to me. That was a recall item that was covered if you had issues. It's been a great car which is why I still have my 2001! Hard to justify buying a new one when it runs so well. Figure it has another 100,000 to go,"

Its been a great car

By on Friday, September 4, 2009

"Bought new in July 2000. At a service around 12k miles the dealer identified that this car was impacted by the trasmission issue and replaced the transmission - no questions asked. I never knew the problem existed and the car has run perfectly since then (now 97k miles). The car is still comfortable, drives well, and everything still works. I had the Bose stereo replaced by an aftermarket model to get more features, sounds great! I plan to drive this car for another 100,000 miles."

The Best Car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"The Acura TL is a great value. It runs great and has not needed any repairs. Routine maintenance is all that has been needed to keep this car running great. The interior is really comfortable, with Heated Seats, Climate Control, and other convenient features. Avg. gas mileage based on my driving is 23 MPG. 19 MPG in the city and 31 MPG on the interstate. This is a great car, buy one if you can."

Great Car confortable and powerful

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"This is a wonderful car to drive. I did have a transmission problem with it last year at the 75K point, but found out the transmission problem was on a recall, so they fixed it for free. Car is very comfortable, handles well and has excellent power and pickup. I drive 500 miles a week to and from work and it makes the drive enjoyable. I'd buy another one..with a 100K warrantly as I have now."

saved a life

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Safety, style, powerful, got good milage"

Cons: "paint faded a little."

"Beautiful, classy, timeless. Saved a family member's life in an accident last week by crumpling around him. R I P to my favorite car."

The best car i have ever owned never let me down#1

By on Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pros: "Fun reliable"

"Exellent over all its comfortable hanles exellent feels great and looks great."

super safe, well built and designed...

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Listed in full review"

Cons: "Acuras aren't cheap, but are well worth it."

"pleasure to own. Rarely has mechanical issues even at 12 years old. It basically needs oil, gas and very occasionally brakes. I highly recommend this car. It hasn't given me a moments trouble. Carseats and booster seats fit in it well too. Excellent family car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals