1997 Acura TL

Based on 130 Ratings for the 1995 - 1998 models.

love this car

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"my acura has 220,000 miles and is still running.....nothing like it....people are still asking me do i want to sale it. its my baby"

Awesome car

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I've owned my '96 3.2TL for 9 year and put more than 210,000 miles on it. It is the most reliable car I've ever know. The odometer reads 250,000 and the only maintenance it's needed was a timing belt/water pump, battery, brakes and oil. The standard. It's never had anything malfunction or fail. Great power, handling, and comfort for 5 adults. I recently put a new engine in at 215K and was hoping to get another 200K out of it. Unfortunately it was hit and totalled by the insurance company. I was very sad to lose this great car. =( The newer TL's manufactured in the US don't have the same quality as these ones built in Japan. I won't plan to buy a newer TL because of this. But maybe another Acura."

Super car. Best ever 4me. LOVE IT!

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "no mechanical issues, extremely reliable"

Cons: "premium fuel"

"Purchased with 122k, put 132k more on it.NOT ONE PROBLEM with engine or transmission. When gas shot up a couple of years ago I used 87 as no 93 was available. Caused me to purchase an EGR valve and 2 02 sensors. Replaced the AC two summers ago, still frosty. Aside from these issues,she runs like a top. My ADVICE: BUY ONE, take care of it, it will take care of you. I am about to put a new motor in it and keep it rolling!"

Acura Rocks!

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"I bought my '98 3.2TL about three years ago. It is a stylish car with very deceptive power. It has a great stock sound system and is fun and comfortable to drive. The only knock that I have is that they made the sills on the windows too tight which causes a loud sqeaking sound when you put the windows up and down. The car will run fine on regular gas but does prefer premium for optimum power."

This car rocks !

By on Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"I bought this car used in 2000 with 55k on it ..it is now 2008 and I have 166k on it ! This car is amazingly dependable ..and I have DRIVEN this sucker at some amazing speeds ..handles great , looks great , the best car I have ever owned ! Maintanence ? who needs to do anything with this car but change the oil & rotate the tires ..P.S I have put Regular gas in it for the past 4 years ...no pinging at all , just slight power reduction ...I'd name my kid Acura if my wife would let me !"

worst transmission

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"The TL is a fun car to drive until that day when, like so many TL owners have found, the transmission goes out. It's a recall item, though Acura didn't anounce until years after knowing of problems. Acura and Honda have done very little to assume responsibility, even after a class action suit to which they settled. Try a google of Acura transmission problems. It'll net over 1 million hits!"

Affordable luxury

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"This car is great. Had it for over 2 years with no mechanical problems. Bought it with 88,000 miles now have 115k+ . Can't ask for more!"

Excellent driving vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pros: "Great price"

"Has beenanexcellent car, but want to purchase a new car."

very reliiabliable no bad comments

By on Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pros: "Little maintance"

"I had the car over ten years and love it very reliabiliable. Maintance next to nothing just keeping the oil changed. Just begining to have problems starting up."

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"If you have this car in California be very careful about CAT Converter. Dealer sells part for $1,600. I didn't think twice when Firestone told me I needed to replace mine in 2009, which they replaced with junk for $400.00. Keep in mind only certified smog station can test if you need new CAT unless it is completely blocked which is unlikely. I barely passed 3 months after and failed smog checked two years after they replaced. I then ordered my own online made by Magnaflow universal fit for this car CA CERTIFIED for 260.00 then installed for 70.00 and now my emissions are extremely low."

Amazing

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"This car has gone 250000 miles without anything but oil changes and can still hit 140 mph in a breeze"

A very attractive, comfortable, driving machine

By on Monday, May 4, 2015

Pros: "Great to drive, a lot of nice features"

Cons: "Passenger's seat can't be raised or lowered"

"I leased this car new in '97 for three years and then bought out the lease and kept it. I adore this car and I have from the moment I got it. It is so attractive, fun to drive, has the cushy feel of a more expensive luxury vehicle, but was still not overly expensive. It has been a dream machine to own! This car has NEVER let me down and has been reliable and well taken care of, not to mention loved! It hugs the road and in Northern CA where roads are serpentine, winding and curvy, this feature is remarkable. No body lean and I don't have to lean either as we deal with hairpin turns on treacherous coastal and inland roads. I am only sorry that I cannot keep the car forever! Did I mention I LOVE this car? Acura did a great job of designing this model and my one criticism is that the passenger's seat, which is a 4 way power seat, should also have had the ability to raise and lower it, up and down, like the driver's seat, because it is a low slung car and as a driver of 5'6", I like my seat in the highest position. My passengers wished they could adjust their seat to a higher position too. Also, no rear seat headrests. Maybe that was the sign of the times. I respect this car and will keep it as long as possible."

the seems to be comforterable

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "none ok has cup holders to small"

"the car is fun to drive"

Not up to par

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Reason: Did not like

Pros: "Quick, handles well, sharp"

Cons: "Wind noise"

"I purchased mine used. It was the 3.2 model, black with beige leather. I’ve owned many used cars and work on them myself. I was really disappointed right from the beginning with this one. It overheated a block from the dealer. They were great, towed it back, apologized profusely, and fixed it right away (fan sensor). It was quick, fully loaded and handled well, but for a high end car I was disappointed. Outside air would get behind the frameless windows and cause irritating wind noise. I’d lose heat at idle and had to bleed and re-bleed the cooling system over and over, but had no real luck. I took it to a known good mechanic that specialized in Acuras and Hondas and they bleed the system, but felt like it had a weak head gasket. I sold it to my friend’s niece and she drove for a year or so until—it severely overheated and she fried the engine."

Wish I never bought it

By on Friday, October 30, 2009

"I purchased this vehicle used 3 years ago with about 90k miles on it. I had it for about a month and then it started acting up. Since then, I've had to spend thousands of dollars each year fixing one thing or another. I wish I never bought this car."

This has been the best the best car I ever owned

By on Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pros: "Easy to drive, low maintenance, very reliable"

"This has been the best car I ever owned. Bought used, in excellent condition in 2000 for $12k (now used are $22k). It just keeps plugging along. Unfortunately, due to a big box store who destroyed the oil pan while changing the oil and refused to pay for repairs, I have to get another car. Repairing an aluminum oil pan will cost about as much as a down payment on a newer used car. You get what you pay for, no more cheap oil changes for me. Too bad used cars are so expensive, will not be able to afford another Acura. But if I could, would not hesitate."

19 years old and still reliable

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pros: "well-made dependable, comfortable car"

"I bought this car when it was about 8 years old. It had been well-maintained; it drove beautifully, very comfortable, CD player and cruise control didn't work but neither a big problem. For years, it didn't need anything other than regular maintenance. Engine light came on but was still under the 150,000 warrantee. Only in the last year has it started to have some problems - small leaks, ac stopped working, rust underneath, engine light (not a major problem). But for it's age, I'm not surprised. Still gets 20 mpg, more on highway. Great car!"

Very comfortable and reliable car buttttttt

By on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Reason: totaled

Pros: "Very very comfortable"

Cons: "lack of power and back seat room"

"I owned this car for 2 years i bought it for 5200 with 98k miles on it. I was the second owner of this car. Its a very comfortable car. Very smooth car and the seats and options in the car are very nice. Did nothing but regular maintenance on the car until it was totaled at 148k. Even then the insurance company valued it at $3900. The gas mileage was okay 18-23 on a good day. Over all the car is very good for someone that likes a comfortable cruiser. There are some cons though. NOT ENOUGH POWER IN THE ENGINE. The car gets you from point a to b but doesnt shift nor get up to speed like you would want it to. Also the transmissions are known to go bad on these cars as well so watch out. The inside could be a little bit more roomy though as the people in the back had no room when i had my seat back and i didnt have that much room when i would have to move it foward."

By on Sunday, October 25, 2009

Such a great car

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "Very sturdy and smooth"

Cons: "only two cup holders"

"I love my car and its ran great for so many years and long lasting. Right now i just got a new axle and the right after the dealer it started vibrating they say its old, yeah right. I am thinking its the dealers problem because i had a problem with the dealer before. This is a very sturdy car and i just need a new car for college."

By on Friday, July 4, 2008

Vehicle year no good with alot of miles

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Me and my husband bought one from a used car lot in february of 2008, and have been having problems with it every since. We haven't even been able to enjoy our car for 30 days yet without having to keep taking it back for something to be fixed on it. I just don't rate a car like this to anyone especially if it has alot of miles on it. Research and check the car facts first if you do choose to buy one."

Great day to day vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"I have had this car for about a year now and have already put on about 60,000 miles. The car just rolled over 175,000 miles and no problems. Just regular maintnance and replace the tires and rear brake pads (fronts were replaced a month before I purchased the vehicle). This car still looks great and is very comfortable and gets great gas mileage and yet is still fairly sporty for a sedan. Considering it is almost 9 years old I think that is a great deal."

Best car ever!!

By on Friday, January 3, 2014

Pros: "just a great car , very comfy on long drives"

Cons: "Handling good, but I like it a little sportier"

"other than routine maint. no other problems, 245,000 miles and still running like a champ. Would buy again in a heart beat. Trading in now just for something newer."

Excellent car

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Stylish and fast"

Just parked at my garage

"Purchased this car and fell in love with it drives like a dream and has pick up and go when I need it the best part is it only has 79,8250 miles on it had to put 100,000 on milage hard to believe the low miles I guess"

Just parked at my garage

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura TL near Honolulu. See local deals