2005 Acura MDX

Based on 416 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

Can't sell it, great suv!

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, and everything else"

Cons: "gas mileage and requires premium"

"I've been looking at buying a new car and just don't feel like many of the new cars are much of an upgrade to my MDX. I bought this car with 90k miles on it, it now has 209k. In that time, I've only had to put an EGR valve in and do routine maintenance. There is a clunking in the front end now but that's pretty much a given on Michigan roads for high mileage cars. It seems like my friends and family always have their car in the shop but I'm confident in mine. The AWD and traction control gets this car through the snow without a problem. I've almost forgotten that snow is a problem for some people. Sound system is great. The car drives as smooth as silk, even with its high miles. The only thing that I don't like about this car is the gas mileage and the fact that it must be run on premium. Also there have been a few times that the stability control has involuntarily braked on dry pavement recently."

192K miles with normal maintenaince!!

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "best navigation still, great ride"

Cons: "tow hitch rusts"

"I bought this car new in 2004, it currently has 192K miles on it and all I have had to do is the normal scheduled maintenance. Just finishing up on third set of tires and still get the average gas mileage as when new. If you take care of this car it will last a long time and won't break your wallet to maintain."

GOOD, BUT...

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Loved it initially then had several issues hit right near warranty expiration date: electrical issue with interior lights (covered), fuel injector system/valves (?) replaced twice (covered both times), rear AC unit went out (replaced at my cost), rear view mirror fell off and had to replace entire system at my cost, towing package electrical system went out and argued to get Acura to replace at their cost, and the biggies- we're on the 2nd transmission and 1 torque converter despite having the towing package installed and maintaining vehicle according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and towing far below the vehicle's capacity for only 2 years. That being said, the MDX's HP did a great job pulling the light load and up even steep boat ramps when locked in 4WD. The good news- Acura covered the transmissions at their cost both times despite being beyond warranty but boy, what a nuisance. Moving on to another vehicle before this one ends up costing me more than it is worth as it begins to self destruct. Despite issues, enjoyed the vehicle for over 100K miles but need something more reliable where it is easier to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats in place in 2nd row when transporting additional passengers. Yup- the dreaded minivan. MDX was great for the 2 of us then 4 of us but only folks with short legs who are nimble can get to that 3rd row easily and stay there comfortably for longer trips especially when you have any cargo in back."

Not worth the money

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I have had more problems with this 1 car than my last 5 Toyota's combined and I average 150K miles before getting rid of a car. Transmission vibration, road noise, the oil shocks have gone out TWICE EACH in only 115K miles, Entire electrical system shut down due to a short in the firewall, the rear AC is out, door switches for lights are sticking, rear wiper assembly came off, etc. This car has been dealer maintained (expensive and below average service) and garaged since I bought it new. It had problems from the start and is not aging gracefully. When I purchaced again last year, it was another Toyota. The best thing about the MDX is the all wheel drive. It performs well in wet conditions."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"My wife and I bought our 03 w/touring package new and had a few minor issues in the beginning but all were covered under warranty. Since then it has been nothing but smooth sailing. We have all services performed at the dealer (can be expensive but we have a record of all services done) and use premium gas in it. We average 17 mixed driving and 21 on the road, my wife can get better but I drive a bit more aggressively than her. The kids love the factory dvd player and use it everytime they get into it. It has been a very good vehicle and we plan on keeping it for a long time to come. I would recommend one to anyone!"

Wow. Just wow.

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Great engine, bulletproof and strong"

Cons: "Not the prettiest vehicle, seat warmers suck"

"I bought mine with 140k miles on it and am nearing 200k. It needed a valve adjustment and new struts in the last 20k miles, but since then this thing still runs like new. Seats show some wear, driver seat warmer didn't work when we bought it (and broke again since we fixed it). Nav system only works partially but I use my phone anyway.Jumps off the line if you need it to, rides super smooth. No head turner, but it just keeps on running SUPER smooth. Sound system rocks."

I love this car

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "super"

Cons: "Directions clearer on how to take the jack out"

"I am now at 166,000 miles. My husband has gotten 2 new cars since our marriage and he can't rip this one out of my hands. i love it because of the turning radius and absolutely no blind spot. It handles well to this day and acura stands by their cars having replaced my transmission for free at 103,000 miles. Yes, out of warranty, a new transmission for free! This was the first year for the MDX.(2001). I can't seem to find a replacement vehicle I like. Sure wish the new MDX had the same window view we grew up with. The old school,turn and look, is a thing of the past? I just can't get used to the rear camera my husband has. Just not me... Come on Acura make your new MDX with the same 2001 windows!"

Best car owned

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"Bought new, 180,000 miles later no problems. Truly amazing. Our 3 boys learned how to drive in this car and beat up on it pretty well, but never have had any abnormal issues to date. Definatley get what you pay for. Have had to FL from OH more times than we can count with 4 passengers and although can get cramped truly is a great traveling car. Great on the highway and good pickup around town."

295,000 miles!!..still comfortable ride

By on Saturday, August 4, 2007

"I bought this 2002 Touring in autumn of 2001, day after 9/11...handles great, especially on wet pavement....I have 295,000 miles on this car...transmission was replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles, I put a rebuillt transmission in at 222,000 ($2,800)...never any other problems...road noise is more so than Lexus, but handles much better than lexus..mud guard on back tire rotted after 2 years...engine still runs great, no vibrations from engine or interior..gas mileage is 16-18 mpg consistantly...you do not have to use premium gas-91 octane, but I always have...great car..I like the body style better than the new model..new model looks too much like crv.."

Great bang for the buck

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"I have owned several SUV's and this by far is the best. I have 20k miles on it thus far. Great family car. People cant believe the size inside. Is bigger then shows outside. Was rear-ended by a school bus. Very little damage to the MDX. The Bus however was banged up in the front completely. Cars like this are a rare build these days. Gave styling a 4 star. Only knock I could give given I own a 2006 and the styling didnt change from 2001. **BOTTOM LINE- If you can find a deal on one of these Babies....BUY IT!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Acura MDX near Honolulu. See local deals