• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $36,411 - $38,050.

7.7

Based on 416 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Very durable 140000 miles and still going strong

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, good fuel economy, safe"

Cons: "Repairs (if needed) are costly, tires"

"Bought our 2004 XC90 2.5 about 5 years ago. Since then only oil changes, a break job (3000$ once all said and done - new calipers, discs and as the parking break was done as well) - other than that no real problems. Some quality issues (DVD system went a year ago, one of the door speakers - tweeters broke off, steering wheel volume,channel control went a few years ago). Tires are a bit of an issue as well (Michelins went in 15000 miles). But we are now looking for another XC90 (2009/10) as my wife does not want any other car. So would I recommend it - YES (but it's a premium vehicle so running cost aren't as low as buying cost for vehicle suggest - see cost of break job). Wonderful fuel economy though (21mpg in mostly short range driving)."

Good but not great

By on Monday, June 16, 2008

"2005 XC90 T6 AWD touring edition. This is a good vehicle, and I like it, but for the price tag it leaves me wanting more. Pros: The performance and handling are excellent; it has plenty of acceleration and it handles like a sedan. It has loads of safety features including a build in booster seat. The premium sound system that comes with the touring package is second to none. The interior materials (leather / plastics / headliner and wood trims) are of the highest quality. Cons: More road noise than I would like, and the ride could be smoother. I’ve had some weird electrical problems; occasionally when I hit a bump in the road the radio station changes. I’ve also had problems with the keyless entry not opening the doors (but of course the service dept can never find any problems as it only happens occasionally). I have 45000 miles on it and I’m on the second set of tires, third set of front brakes, second set of front rotors, and second set of rear brakes. Conclusion: You can spend $10,000 less and get just as good if not a better vehicle and you'll spend a fraction on the maintenance."

2005 AWD 5Cyl Turbo

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Safety, stability, handling, comfort, looks"

Cons: "Tire wear, repair part cost,"

"Test drove this vehicle against all popular SUV's prior to purchase in 2004. XC-90 was a true 7 passenger SUV with excellent handling and adequate power. The vehicle condition is 9/9 inside and out and looks fresh after 9 years. Since new have replaced tires 3x, brakes once, heater core, fuel pump, fuel distributor. The repair costs are comparable for the brand and class. The vehicle has provided excellent service with a level of comfort and safety not experienced with other vehicles. Recent 'check engine' light codes for very minor items are annoying but not serious which may be software issues as opposed to failing components. Would like to purchase a new XC-90 but plan to keep this vehicle for the next 3-5 years."

This car saved our life!

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Safety and quality and reliable"

Cons: "High Maintenance cost"

"We bought this car in 2006 best decision ever made.I am a busy mom with three kids of various ages. We wanted a family sized vehicle and we liked the third row seat option. Love the versatility and style. We never had any serious problems with it so it's very reliable and has the endurance for a busy family.The normal wear has not changed the look of interior and the exterior has no rust or fading. Still drives great after over 140000 miles. The maintenance can be pricey but worth it. The main thing is the fact that we survived a major accident with a three car pile up with the least damage of all cars involved. Can't put a price on my kids, lives so yes I Love this car and will buy another soon."

One of the best touring cars on the road

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable road trip car. Fantastic value!"

Cons: "Not enough interior storage, reliability question"

Shot through the trees on a German forest road

"I have owned this car for three years and put just over 41k miles on it. All in all, I think it has been a tremendous value. For what you get per dollar, compared to any competition, the XC90 is hard to beat. I took delivery of this vehicle in Germany (it is US spec) and took it on several family road trips there, with no issues at all. I've had the car here in the states for 2 years I've been very pleased after a number of interstate family trips with five of us and all the luggage, still nice and comfortable as can be. Fuel economy is on par or slightly better for a seven passenger AWD. I've observed 16 city/23 hwy/18 combined, by my calculations, as the computer tends to be about 1-2 mpg on the generous side. Felt engine power and fuel economy did improve noticeably after I got the car properly broken in. Ride comfort is fantastic, with decent handling for a heavy front drive biased SUV. In the snow/Ice/and Mud, the AWD and traction control systems work seamlessly. I feel very good about having my family drive around in the XC90 during inclement weather. Interior noise levels are quite low, on par with the rest of the herd of lux SUV's. Build quality and workmanship seem to be top notch. Nice supple leather seating, although the leather scratches and marks very easily. Interior squeaks and rattles are all but non-existant. The factory Continental tires were garbage and wore out within 25k miles, but the Falken's on it now handle much better and are wearing very well. Maintenance has been a bit high, I think. Had the front wheel bearing assemblies replaced after a long trip after I took it in with complaints of an extreme amount of road noise; I thought the tires were needing rotation badly, but turned out the bearings were on their way out. Also had to have the battery changed out just the other day and needed software updates to fix some entertainment system bugs. All of these issues have been covered 100% under warranty and the included regular scheduled maintenance has been a real time and money saver for me, so I really can't complain. My only concern is the maintenance of the vehicle after the warranty expires."

Shot through the trees on a German forest road