2013 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 441 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

A Ride of Value

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

"I am the original owner of a 2005 XC90 2.5 T with 90000 miles no repairs needed except for general scheduled service. I go to the Volvo dealer at the recommended 7500 mile interval. The rear right door latch was replaced at 35000 miles it would not come out of child lock mode. I average 18 to 22 MPG. The FWD basic loss leader model was a great buy in basic black. The plastic left cover part by seat wore out from entry and exit-a design flaw. When are they going to introduce the hybrid four cylinders that get 40 MPG into the USA or the hybrid diesel? I will look for both when I visit Sweden this summer."

We love this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Large inside, small outside. Decent gas mileage."

Cons: "Hard to park due to turning radius."

"We have 3 kids so we were looking for something with 3 rows. We decided on the 2004 xc 90 AWD T6. Very roomy. 3rd row is great for kids. We wanted a 3rd row where half of the seat would fold down so that we could use the other half to haul things like luggage or stroller. Decent gas mileage. We average about 17-18 overall. We do wish it had a tighter turning radius. It is a little hard to park. My Lincoln Navigator is easier to park even though it is much bigger. Other than that, we are very pleased with our xc90."

Love this car

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "very responsive, great on gas, very solid"

Cons: "little bugs to be fixed, repairs are expensive."

"I really love this car. Fully loaded with DVD player, 4wd, 2.5t. So sorry they dont have the turbo on new ones because the car has such good pick up off the line and really surprisingly good on gas (we got 26 mpg on trips). Handles like a car but fits my family (2 kid) so well we dont fly anywhere anymore, just drive on trips. Super comfortable. Feels like a very safe car, very solid and heavy. Only criticism I would have is its pretty involved to work on so dealership really has to do everything including something so simple like changing the brakes. I would highly recommend certified used as we did. The repairs are expensive and being very close to a dealership helps. We let a friend and a relative drive the car for the day as they were shopping SUVs and they both ended up buying the exact same car. This was supposed to be my car but my husband and I battle over who gets to drive it and our other car is an SUV too."

Not worth the money

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"My car has had electrical problems since the first month when I bought it new in 2006. Dealer has not been able to fix it because "cannot duplicate" the problem. No longer under warranty and repairs are costly, not to mention regular maintenance. Would not recommend Volvo cars to anyone!"

Hate this vehicle

By on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"I bought this vehicle about 3 years ago, and have had major, major repairs. I spent more than I wanted to, thinking the Volvo name would mean quality. Unfortunately it has been nothing but a money pit. The ride is comfortable and the design and styling is nice, but the excessive repairs have ruined the whole experience for me."

So-So

By on Thursday, August 26, 2010

"I bought this vehicle for a safe, long term car. Instead I've had to put in a new transmission, coolant system, radiator, steering column, alarm siren (it wouldn't stop going off), and soon to be shocks. Beware when considering this vehicle. It is the first XC90 model and it's too much weight for many of its components. Besides the functioning of the vehicle, it is very comfortable, and has many safety features. If you own one, trade it in as soon as possible. Volvo replaces transmission under warranty, but they put in the same kind, no upgrades."

The perfect EVERY day SUV for EVERY body!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pros: "All around great SUV"

Cons: "None I can think of"

"I have owned two Volvo XC90's and am so bummed they no longer make the 8 cyl. This car has some major giddy up and go. The car feels safe, drives like a luxury car and has excellent quality and reliability."

Solid great SUV

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid comfortable and very capable Lux SUV"

Cons: "Price of parts tends to be high..."

"Drives great, good gas mileage for a suv. VERY comfortable seats. Overall, for the money the best lux SUV....."

Like it so much getting a new XC-90

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pros: "safety, safety, safety"

Cons: "it is a heavy vehicle on an S-80 frame so mileage is so-so"

"I purchased this car new and followed the maintenance schedule. It has proven to be a safe and reliable family SUV. I got the 5-cyl model which was a proven workhorse of Volvo. It is a shame they dropped that. If you are looking at purchasing a used 2004 XC-90 it is a great car for a growing family. However, make sure that is has been properly serviced."

Perfect for our purpose

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, quality construction, durable, with good tires goes great in snow."

Cons: "Not cutting edge design."

"We bought this when they first came out (2003). We live above 8,000' in the Colorado foothills. We traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Volvo had better low-end torque, better gas mileage and more ground clearance than the Jeep. We're just now trading it in on an XC60. After nearly 100,000 miles, I can say that everything held together very, very well. It pulled through deep snow when Subaru Legacys were getting stuck. The ride quality, and the seats in particular, were superb, and held up throughout that 100,000 miles. It is not a sports car, but it handles better than most so-called SUVs. Most of all, it did not break down or give us grief. It just kept on going. The XC60 was not available when we bought the XC90. The shorter turning circle and length will make it easier to park. After 80,000 miles the Jeep was literally falling apart. After nearly 100,000 miles, much of it on washboard dirt roads, the Volvo is rock solid."

Wise purchase/ investment

By on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Pros: "reliable, safe, comfortable, versitile, handsome"

Cons: "blindspots, would like better mi/gallon"

"I love my XC90. After driving it for the last 5 yrs, I can say it is well worth the money. We bought used in 2006, and have had little trouble, other than the transmission dying at 20K mi, which was under warranty fixed for free. We bought Volvo due to their high safety ratings, comfort, and handsome appearance and have not been disappointed. I, being a military wife, love that I can fit everything from my HomeDepot purchases, to 7 during family visits, and easily mount a Yakima carrier on the top for trips. The seats in this car are the most comfortable ride(very supported for those of us with lumbar pains),and the built-in booster is priceless. The backup alarm has been very helpful with city curb parking. Yes there are some blind spots, delay in T6 power with sudden acceleration from stop, (but the power is great at acceleration at hwy speed), and there are costs that go along with regular maintanence, but overall I have been very satisfied with our purchase, and will buy Volvo again."

XC90 Pluses and Minuses

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"I've had my 2008 XC90 for two months; bought used 1 year old. Previous vehicle was a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport which I loved. XC90 Minuses that I've discovered: Engine a bit noisy Radio/CD very complicated to use Clock and Temperature not viewable by passenger Not enough interior storage compartments Door lock control is only 1 button which means that you have to press twice Blind spots to the rear Gas hog but I knew that when I bought XC90 Pluses that I've discovered: Good road handling Great sound from the premium radio/CD Great forward view without the hood visibile Comfortable interior Nice styling and features Overall, a good vehicle and many good prices now since buyers are wary of SUVs due to fuel economy concerns. But, if you like SUVs and don't mind the mileage, I recommend the XC90."

Transmission Failure, Tire burner

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"I own a 2005 Volvo XC90 that I purchased in 2007 and this has not been a inexpensive car to maintain. This is my first Volvo and I've been very disappointed with my purchase. This car goes through tires rapidly and the transmission has just gone out at 89K. This is the first time I've ever had to replace a transmission in any car I've ever owned and I've never would have thought I'd have to replace a transmission for any vechile under 100K. On the plus side it's a confortable car that has a suitable amout of get up and go, however, it's not with the trade off."

2005-XC90

By on Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Bought the car used with 59k, not even ten months later with 73k on it, the transmission is slipping badly and I just had the transmission serviced for over $300! To have a car payment plus looking at a potential $5k bill for a transmission, they can have it back! I agree with others, LEMON< LEMON"

Dream Car gone bad

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"This vehicle looks great and the interior appoints are great. Too bad the vehicle does not deliver. It has been nothing but mechanically problems and a dealer network that just does not care nor understand the concept of customer service. Volvo is on par with their parent company Ford."

108,000 MILES OF DREAD

By on Friday, September 28, 2007

"108,000 MILES ON XC90. THREE SETS OF REAR BEARINGS, MOTOR MOUNTS REPLACED. 4 SETS OF TIRES. THIS IS NOT A GOOD ENTRY INTO THE SUV MARKET BY VOLVO. SAFETY IS GREAT BUT WHAT GOOD IS IT WHEN THE VEHICLE IS IN THE SHOP. WHEN THE MESSAGE LIGHT COMES ON IT SHOWS DOLLAR SIGNS INSTEAD OF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. $-FOR INEXPENSIVE ($500), $$-FOR UP TO $1,000, AND $$$ FOR EVERYTHING ABOVE. MY $$$ IS BURNED OUT FOR BEING ON SO LONG."

Nice, but...

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this car because it was a great lease deal at the right time. After test driving it, I loved the powerful engine, and the seats were very comfortable. My 6 & 4 year old loved the "televisons" mounted in the front seat headrestraints. After owning the car for 13 months on a 2 year lease, I am looking to get out of the lease. Reliabiity stinks. The car goes in the shop for many minor issues. Ball bearings, windshield wipers, etc. My local dealer only has a loaner avialable every 3 weeks. Standard 15k service is $150. Of much more import, is the horrible blind spots in this SUV. I have owned other SUV's and cars and this is by far the worst. My wife refused to drive it with our kids in it, and at least once per week I cut someone off or almost get t-boned because you cannot see other cars. Other issues are smaller, but should not be there for a $55,000 SUV. No sunglasses holder? Come on. No satellite radio. No iPod input. The DVD is nice, but you cannot control the DVD from the navigation screen and are forced to twist and turn while driving to help your children. No voice interaction with the navigation and no bluetooth. Honestly, the car reminds me of my GMC Envoy, 2003, but it is $20,000 more. Nice, but not worth it."

Very reliable car

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "Mileage is not the best."

Cons: "When repairs are needed they can be expensive. could used more front leg room."

"volvo has been the car I always wanted to own. When the SUV was designed I was certain I would get one. I love my car and I have had very few problems with this car. I bought it used from car max and would buy another. I think I am a lifetime volvo owner."

2004 T6 Still Going Strong

By on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Leased a 2004 T6 new in 2004, bought out the lease in 2008. Never has been a problem. Now 112,500 miles and about to put on forth set of tires. Last set of tires went with a harder compound and they have lasted about 45K miles. Rides a little firmer but still great for mostly city driving. Dealer service is pricy but when I leave it drives like new. First time I have ever just used the dealer for service. Liked Volvo so much, that wife, mother-in-law and 2 sisters-in-laws are driving them now."

Reliable But Expensive

By on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Leased the car new in April 2006. Drove it 48 months & 48,000 miles. Car was a good runner. Overall got 14 miles to the gallon for the time I had it... Mostly city driving. Would get up to 26 mpg on the highway. The only downfall was that it was very expensive to maintain... Lots of brake pads. Spent $2400.00 on regular maintenance during the time I had it... It irritated me just enough to not want to buy another Volvo"

worst car ever

By on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Bought the car brand new. Loved it at first. Had to replace the transmission right after the warranty expired. Now it needs a new steering rack, brake column, and major computer problems. $4000 in repairs on top of what I have already spent. I have never had a car with this many problems and have never had to have a car towed. I thought Volvos were suppose to last. Good bye Volvo, I will never own another one."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"2005 V-8 XC 90. Surprised by all of the negative reviews. We have had few problems with our Volvo, possibly due to the engine transmission. Brakes and tires were both replaces at apx. 40,000 miles, so no excessive wear. Actually went with another set of OEM tires. They wore out evenly and were only rotated once. For our family this car has been excellent. We take it to Mt. Baker and Whistler skiing whenever we can. It is comfortable for the kids (and with their friends-seats 7) and drives great for us. Snow is never a problem. Unfortunately, like most higher end cars, it depreciates a lot off the initial purchase price. That is the only reason why I did not rate it higher in value. We might end trading up to a newer XC90, but probably won't purchase another new one. As a used car I believe it is an excellent value."

Amazing in Snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Buy this Vehicle for your family's safety if you live in the snow or ice. Three blizzards in Colorado, towed our Volvo S60 R to California over 14,000 foot Rockies, after 81,000 miles the car is still going strong. Buy the extended warrentee: many repairs needed cost only $100 per deductable. Two engine mounts, propeller shaft (drive shaft), new rack & Pinion Steering. Gyroscope under driver's seat is amazing and the STC sensors on the wheels. The result: it is impossible to put this car into a skid in snow. . . believe me I tried. The antio skid system puts the right amount of braking and reduced the engine power to straighten out the car! During one of the three Blizzards of 2006/2007 we passed dozens of stranded cars, trucks, and even a police officer stuck at an intersection. Get studless snow tires with ground up Walnut Shells (Blizex) and it stops even on black ice! Amazing. Now we live in California and enjoy sun every day and our 7 month old has plenty of room for her car seat and baby equipment. Bottom line: great car, some repairs needed, but I was surprised to see all of the people's complaints about repairs -- just like humans cars need a little investment. I will go with a Volvo again."

63,000+ and Rolling

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"I love the look; comfort and ride my XC90 T6 provides. Had minor transmission issue at 40k - dealer replaced under warranty. Vehicle had an exceptional amount of service performed for my expectations of the Volvo name but my service dept. is absolutely great. They did everything they could to keep me happy in spite of my vehcile issues (they did not build it, they service it). It pays to purchase an extended warranty the parts and service for this vehicle are ridiculous. Tires: The original Michelins may get about 18k - did that 2x then learned my lesson. Recently purchased Nokian's and they ride and handle just as good or better than the Michelin and they cost less. They also have a better reputation for longevity and for winter driving. Highly recommended by tire "specialists". Safety is important so may have to find a comparable next time because I'm not sure if I would buy another. Why? Because the premium gas is burning a hole in my purse."

Nice, but requires a lot of maintenance!

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"Got my 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD used with 30K miles. Love the way it handles --excellent in snowy or slippery conditions. I have the third row, which has come in very handy for carting kids around. Drawbacks include: need for premium fuel $$, gas mileage, and lots of frequent maintenance. In the last year and a half I've had to replace tires, front brakes, washer pump, etc.. Thankfully, not huge ticket problems, but I'd be lying if I said that I have 100% faith that this car is reliable...or won't give me a headache in the future. It's a beauty to look at and drive -- but be ready to pay for it!"