2012 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 430 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

2007 Volvo XC 90 AWD. A car to fall in love with

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "It has your bells and whistles it just can't yodel"

Cons: "7 qts blend synthetic & change every 7500 miles"

"This dark blue XC90 is awesome and great to drive. A 3.2 6cyl engine is surprisingly powerful and responsive. I have never had an engine or component issue. Tires at least 66%. Leather interior, driver and passenger power seats, they are heated as well, power front and rear windows. 6 disc CD changer, retractable moon roof and heated exterior mirrors with remote adjustment. Front fog lights and an additional fog light to switch on so that you are easier to see to drivers behind you. Rear passenger area also has A/C vents with front and rear controls. Front windshield can sense rain and intensity and adjust itself automatically. Traction control is augmented with adjustment for wet road conditions. Immaculate inside and out. No cuts or tears on leather."

One of the best SUV's i have driven.

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

"VOLVO QUALITY AND SAFETY. SPORTS CAR SPEED AND HANDLING. FOR THE PRICE YOU CAN NOT BEAT THE SAFETY AND RELIABILITY OF THIS VEHICLE. VOLVO SAFETY SPORTS CAR POWER AND SPEED. ACCLERATION IS FANTASTIC AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE LETS YOU HANDLE CORNERS FLAWLESSY."

I have loved this car!!!

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"I can't say enough about this vehicle, no rust on a 10 year old car is amazing to me!! Made to last, performs great, AWD is great in Michigan weather! I would buy another Volvo XC90, but am disappointed that the 2014 interior looks just like my 2004! I would like to see some changes, so it feels like a new car inside and out!"

XC90 Volvo

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

"Have owned this vehicle for about 4 years, purchased new. Owned another Volvo before that (also purchased new). My XC90 (AWD 3.2) was the most comfortable, right size, and had the needed 4WD and other amenities. Extremely good leather seats, not as good as previous Volvo but close. Good visibility, easy controls, comfortable controlled ride, luxury details without a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles. Handles well on open rode and trips, no problems even in heavy winds with lots of semis around. No, it' not the fastest thing out of the gate but it moves just fine and safely through traffic and passing lanes and it rides very smooth and sound. Ok in snow, not great, but using caution no problems...far better than some SUVs I've drive in snow. Center control area could be better designed - however, looking at photos of the new to be future 2015 XC90, Volvo appears to be going in reverse instead of forward with their design ideas (i.e. good use of space )less cabin comforts and overuse of cold unfriendly looking high tech metals. I want a nice safe ride, luxury ad comfort - if I wanted a sport high tech vehicle I'd buy a sports car. They seem to have lost sight of the more basic European luxury wants and needs of their base clientele that may still be looking to buy these vehicles in the future. I don't particularly like the added sporty elements of the 2014 XC90 version but still considering the 2014 because compared to what is out there it still has the most of what I am looking for in the price range and it's been an excellent vehicle thus far. Everything interior/exterior has held up like new. It's a heavy vehicle, you will have to replace tires about 30K or more that is a given. Volvo doesn't make the tires (read tire reviews, most are bad). Gas mileage could be better - of course - but it's higher than posted here. I average 20-21 between city and highway, mostly around town driving which for this size is still not bad. The 3rd row seating is useless to me, never used, always down. This should be optional, and it would reduce the cost for those of us who do not need it too. I don't intend to purchase past 2014 (if I do ) the 2015 looks like an XC60 on slight steroids, is not particularly luxurious for this price range nor well thought out inside either. Volvos have slowly evolved to look like most vehicles out there, not distinctive and not good. Having driven an XC60 too can say it was also not their best effort with a very uncomfortable and useless cramped cabin/ interior and nothing special otherwise. I expect a future XC90's to be a disappointment to many longtime Volvo drivers. Unfortunately, the choices are getting smaller instead of larger for those looking for real European SUV's in this size and price range."

V8 Beware!

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Thank God I had an extended warrantee! Right at 90K the Balance Shaft Bearing blew. It took a month of fighting with the warrantee folks but they finally agreed to replace the engine with a rebuild aftermarket. Volvo said that a new engine would cost $16,500.00. Stay clear of this V8 from 2005 they were made wrong and Volvo decided not to do a re-call. The Balance Shaft Bearing does not get lubed from the engine oil. Aftermarket and engines made 6 months after the first release are fixed, but if you have one of the first models off the rack beware it’s a ticking time bomb!"

2005 AWD 5Cyl Turbo

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Safety, stability, handling, comfort, looks"

Cons: "Tire wear, repair part cost,"

"Test drove this vehicle against all popular SUV's prior to purchase in 2004. XC-90 was a true 7 passenger SUV with excellent handling and adequate power. The vehicle condition is 9/9 inside and out and looks fresh after 9 years. Since new have replaced tires 3x, brakes once, heater core, fuel pump, fuel distributor. The repair costs are comparable for the brand and class. The vehicle has provided excellent service with a level of comfort and safety not experienced with other vehicles. Recent 'check engine' light codes for very minor items are annoying but not serious which may be software issues as opposed to failing components. Would like to purchase a new XC-90 but plan to keep this vehicle for the next 3-5 years."

Good for safety...mechanically a piece of junk

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

"WE purchased the car new. After the warrantly expired the rear wheel bearing failed...$600. Volvo did not flinch. One year later the other bearing failed. This time with a lot of noise the split the cost with me. Shortly thereafter the transmission failed. I spent a lot to have them diagnose it and then they finally agreed to replace it after I found web material that a class action suit was pending. There are many more other items that add up to a piece of junk car mechanically."

Very reliable and I feel very safe in this car.

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"I never owned a Volvo before this one, but if I could afford a new one I would buy again."

Luxury & Safety--I got both!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "affordable luxury, safe, spacious, fun, classic"

Cons: "average gas mileage, not good for off-road travel,"

"I wanted a luxury vehicle that would also give me the peace of mind of safety. After shopping around for months, I found that I'd have to sacrifice one option to have the other or pay out the nose for all. That isn't the case with the Volvo! My XC90 provides me with the luxury and comfort I desired for me and the long-known Volvo safety, dependability, and comfort that I wanted for driving with my kids."

Will never buy another Volvo

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "comfortable, smooth drive"

Cons: "gas guzzler, wears out tires and brakes fast."

"I have a top of the line XC90 and it has been a lemon since day one. Cheap leather on upholstery. Within the first year, I fought to get my seat leather replaced. It was wrinkled and cracking. Transmission has been replaced by them, my headlights changed to a dull color the first few years and no one can buff it to a shine. the arm rest leather is fake, has peeled completely off, looks awful. This car eats up tires and gas. I only drive it 6 miles a day to work and have to replace it once a year. Brakes wear out constantly. We have 3 other Volvos and this is the worst by far. Our S40 has been a big disappointment too. Will write about that as well."

This has been a great car

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

"I am selling this car as I have purchased another, its priced at $7250 firm 214-205-5870"

XC90 R-Design; superb road machine

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Very safe. Stongest passenger cage vs competition"

Cons: "Needs a little more horsepower for stop and go"

"The R-design model is equipped with larger disc brakes, larger stabilizer bars, larger tires and stronger suspension than the standard XC90. Steering is quicker and more precise. A real pleasure for long distance interstate trips."

great reliable-safe car

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "soloid hwy driving-handles great -comfortible ride"

Cons: "Better gas milage."

"Just a solid dependable suv."

Good vehicle...eats tires

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable and capable vehicle"

Cons: "Eats tires, also likes to swill gas"

"Great riding car! Took it on a 1,500 trip with my parents in middle row, kids in the third row and me and wife up front...and no one complained about their comfort. Cannot think of another vehicle where I have ever experienced that before and we have had several over the years. The XC90 has never stranded us but a couple of trips to the service bay have set us back some cash. Also, I only get about half of the tread life/wear that tire makers claim with this vehicle. So in summary, if you want a great riding/comfortable car and are O.K. with getting handed the occasional bill for repair and tires then this is the car for you."

VOLVO4LIFE

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Safety, interior quality, built quality, Comfort,"

Cons: "Performance, underpowerd V6"

"This car is as wonderful, safe, and comfortable SUV for your family. It is one of the SAFEST SUVS ever made. If your looking for more performance opt for the 4.4Liter V8 otherwise this car is more than adequate for power. Gas mileage isn't the best but not the worst.. VOLVO FOR LIFE."

Best car very dependable and no major repairs. Ver

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, safe"

Cons: "Lacks a little pep"

"Best car i ever owned. Only brakes and tires changed, amazing!!"

Best car very dependable and no major repairs. Ver

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, safe"

Cons: "Lacks a little pep"

"Best car i ever owned. Only brakes and tires changed, amazing!!"

Wow what a ride!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Holds value, fun to drive long distances as well a"

Cons: "No double visors like Tahoe for driver & passenger"

"I am a diehard Tahoe truck lover yet recently purchased a used Xc90...and I am ecstatic. Talk about maneuverable, powerful, comfortable and smooth. I thought I'd have to give up room....not so, the cargo area is huge. This vehicle is a dream to own and drive...much easier on the wallet at the pump too."

Been an awesome car!!!

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "seating, comfortable, well built materials,"

Cons: "gas mileage, expensive maintenance"

"Have only owned the car little over a year now and it has been awesome! Has never left us sitting nor has any major problems. Wheel bearings are a common problem for the xc90 so those needed to be replaced. Love my volvo and would recommend to anyone. I have read terrible review on the xc90 t6 so i went with the xc90 2.5T. Wouldnt trade it for anything!"

What a safe feeling driving my Volvo, Love it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"My XC90 has been an awesome car. Bought it used but have have no mechanical problems with it. The maintenance/tires are a bit expensive and now that I will also have a teen drivning it part time I can't afford what it will cost me in brakes and tires once a year. But all and all I have been extreamly happy with my Volvo. If you have a turbo watch the oil level. My burns extra oil and I have to add a quart between oil changes, there are no leaks or any problems. Many mechanics have assured me that all is good with my car. Runs like a dream!"

Completely smitten over this SUV

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "nice drive, luxury feel, great in snow"

Cons: "pricey to repair"

"I bought this car used, in 2009 with around 58,000 miles on it. It is a 2006. For the price we paid for it, and the amount of wear and tear I have put on it in 4 years, it has been a real trooper. I lived in Kansas City at the time, and my family lived 3 hours away, so it was driven over 400 miles at least once a month, sometimes twice to three times a month. The ride this car will give you if you travel a lot is unbeatable. Every other SUV is subpar to the luxury this car will offer in a road trip. The drive is quiet and smooth, and it is hard to stay under the speed limit because it drives so naturally. It has tons of room, and I can attest to how much stuff you can pack in that car, and still not feel any drag from the weight. Also, if you live in an area that can be hit by heavy snow, this car does great. I was flying by other SUVs in the most recent snow storm we had, and it really eased my mind to feel that safe during a blizzard. My volvo has run into a few problems in the last few years though. For example, my AWD sleeve has gone out TWICE and luckily both times it was covered by my warranty. I also have had to replace my headlights, which each cost 100 dollars. While the car is fantastic, it can become costly fast. I definitely recommend this car, esp. if you travel alot, or have children and want an insanely safe car. It is worth the money you pay for it, but just be willing to pay a little more when things go wrong with it."

Do Not buy this year and model

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "nice looking, comfortable, size and shape"

Cons: "severe mechanical problems"

"I love this car, but is has been nothing but a cash eater since I bought it a few years ago. This particular model and year is known for severe mechanical problems. My engine just burned up inside even though it had just been checked over and we've serviced it well while we have owned it. I'm now stuck with a car that will cost $8k (not to mention the already $4k that was put into it while owning it) to put a new engine in and I am upside down already in the loan. I will make sure that anyone I know considering this year of Volvo will not buy it."

Second XC90, loved my 04 more than the 08

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and mostly quiet"

Cons: "Perelli Tires Junk at 23k miles"

"No problems with the 04--turbo, nice, solid, not a single issue. The 08, I love, but have had noise issues with rattles in the door and popping in the transmission. I like the turbo 5cyl better than the V6, but both are great and have no regrets"

One of the best touring cars on the road

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable road trip car. Fantastic value!"

Cons: "Not enough interior storage, reliability question"

Shot through the trees on a German forest road

"I have owned this car for three years and put just over 41k miles on it. All in all, I think it has been a tremendous value. For what you get per dollar, compared to any competition, the XC90 is hard to beat. I took delivery of this vehicle in Germany (it is US spec) and took it on several family road trips there, with no issues at all. I've had the car here in the states for 2 years I've been very pleased after a number of interstate family trips with five of us and all the luggage, still nice and comfortable as can be. Fuel economy is on par or slightly better for a seven passenger AWD. I've observed 16 city/23 hwy/18 combined, by my calculations, as the computer tends to be about 1-2 mpg on the generous side. Felt engine power and fuel economy did improve noticeably after I got the car properly broken in. Ride comfort is fantastic, with decent handling for a heavy front drive biased SUV. In the snow/Ice/and Mud, the AWD and traction control systems work seamlessly. I feel very good about having my family drive around in the XC90 during inclement weather. Interior noise levels are quite low, on par with the rest of the herd of lux SUV's. Build quality and workmanship seem to be top notch. Nice supple leather seating, although the leather scratches and marks very easily. Interior squeaks and rattles are all but non-existant. The factory Continental tires were garbage and wore out within 25k miles, but the Falken's on it now handle much better and are wearing very well. Maintenance has been a bit high, I think. Had the front wheel bearing assemblies replaced after a long trip after I took it in with complaints of an extreme amount of road noise; I thought the tires were needing rotation badly, but turned out the bearings were on their way out. Also had to have the battery changed out just the other day and needed software updates to fix some entertainment system bugs. All of these issues have been covered 100% under warranty and the included regular scheduled maintenance has been a real time and money saver for me, so I really can't complain. My only concern is the maintenance of the vehicle after the warranty expires."

Shot through the trees on a German forest road

This has been a solid suv

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Great AWD system, comfy seats, exterior design."

Cons: "Uninspiring handling, interior quality, mpgs"

"I purchased this vehicle used. It is my 3rd Volvo. It has been a solid and reliable vehicle. The car is excellent in the snow. It is very comfortable. It has needed very little service. The car averages about 18 mpg combined. It is a bit mushy to drive- not exactly thrilling or engagning, but it wasn't designed to be. I still love the look of these cars even though this is the 10th year of the design. It is one of the few suv's that isn't overly feminine. One thing I'm not thrilled about is the interior build quality. Some of the cabin bits haven't worn well, not as well as the previous Volvos or my Lexus RX. Also, the electronics are really dated. The dash and HVAC design is the same as my 02 S60."