• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2011 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 421 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 ... 15 16 17 | Next

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

it stops

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"While riding in heavy traffic it turned off for the 3rd time. Not happy with service for this problem. This is my 6th Volvo..Will be my last"

Awesome Ride

By on Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Highway, off-road or snow this car has been awesome to drive. Look forward to road trips!"

Volvo XC 90 2.5T AWD

By on Thursday, September 20, 2007

"The Pros...Good fuel economy for an SUV, comfortable ride, etc. The split hatch is fantastic. Safety is top notch. Cons...Tires needed to be replaced at 20k miles and are expensive. Car has been in shop for multiple recalls/repairs. Unsure as to keeping the SUV? Issues with brakes that keep on recurring. Overall... worried post warranty...."

can`t wait to get rid of it!

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"This vehicle (all wheele drive) burns thru tires like it burns thru gas! I expected better quality from a $50,000 car. I`ve had the gas fill door fall off. seat control plastic nobs break. And most recently - the transmission went - after only 70,000 miles. With POOR service on the part of Volvo - despite extended warranty!"

last volvo

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"This is by far the worst vehicle I have purchesed ever. Have a 91 jag that costs me less in maintenance costs. If you buy one be prepared for new brake shoes every 8000 miles. Car was bought new at dealer $50,000 After 52000 miles. had 6 sets of brake shoes, 3 sets rotors, new transmission. Now being told I need motor mounts and rear diff seals replaced. The cruise control never did work. Dealers response horrible, had to fight to get anything done under warranty. Trading in on Toyota this year due to big hit in value. Check used car prices on ebay. $20,000 for comp vehicle. Thats approx $10,000 loss per year. Last volvo for me. Oh yeah, they also got my trade in 3 year old V70 should have kept that one. Before Ford bought it. Probably be on the original transmission."

Volvo XC-90

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Purchased this Volvo SUV with 38,000 miles on it and it has been in the shop on and off approximately 10-12 times in the past 5 months. Never had issues this bad with a car. Main problem has been the transmission which has given me fits from week one. I have been scared to take a left onto a street or at a red light for fear of being side swiped. My 15 year old almost had a wreck in it as she tried to cross a busy street due to transmission failing once again. Took it in more than 10 times when under warrenty for transmission and all they did was redownload software. Finally at 1000 miles past warrenty I had to put in a new transmission at the tune of 4600 dollars . Volvo did not cover this even though it had been a complaint since I owwned it. Volvo knows they have problems with this but they are doing nothing about it. I also hear the replacement transmissions dont last more than 50000 miles either. Don't buy this car if your hard earned money is worth anything to you!"

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

Fatally Flawed

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Dont buy this car. I have owned mine for a little over a year now, and spent about $8,000 on repairs. The T6 XC90s come with a horribly unreliable transmission, which I had to pay full cost to replace at 56,000 miles. Transmissions should not be going dead 6,000 after the warranty, and Volvo should front some of the bill, which they do not. Please beware of this car. Other than the ridiculous reliability though, I do love the car. It handles wonderfully and has great power. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I do think its stupid that Volvo cant get an iPod adaptor for it though."

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"excellent ride for big suv.could use more power for intown driving"

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"I love my Volvo, I get about 23 to the gallon. The only thing is the maintence is very expensive."

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

Nice, but...

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this car because it was a great lease deal at the right time. After test driving it, I loved the powerful engine, and the seats were very comfortable. My 6 & 4 year old loved the "televisons" mounted in the front seat headrestraints. After owning the car for 13 months on a 2 year lease, I am looking to get out of the lease. Reliabiity stinks. The car goes in the shop for many minor issues. Ball bearings, windshield wipers, etc. My local dealer only has a loaner avialable every 3 weeks. Standard 15k service is $150. Of much more import, is the horrible blind spots in this SUV. I have owned other SUV's and cars and this is by far the worst. My wife refused to drive it with our kids in it, and at least once per week I cut someone off or almost get t-boned because you cannot see other cars. Other issues are smaller, but should not be there for a $55,000 SUV. No sunglasses holder? Come on. No satellite radio. No iPod input. The DVD is nice, but you cannot control the DVD from the navigation screen and are forced to twist and turn while driving to help your children. No voice interaction with the navigation and no bluetooth. Honestly, the car reminds me of my GMC Envoy, 2003, but it is $20,000 more. Nice, but not worth it."

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

Safe, but unreliable

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We have owned ours for 3+ yrs. It has been in the shop for everything under the sun (and Volvo has been less than helpful). Needless to say, we have been extremely disappointed. However, we bought the XC90 because of the safety features, and fortunately have never had to use them, but I have seen them in action during my employment as a Trooper. Dump truck blows a stop sign and broadsides a XC90. In any other car, the occupants would have been killed - these folks had only minor injuries. As mad as I am about the reliability, I would buy another - there isn't a safer car on the road."

Good car with some flaws

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Let's be upfront about something......people who own cars are not always the best reviewers. They have a vested interest in keeping up the value of their investment so they will tend to temper their criticism. That said, this is a good car that I would consider owning again. I bought the standard engine and was a bit concerned when I bought a boat whether it would be adequete for pulling the load. Absolutely no problem. We drive it to Big Bear and going up the mountain is almost effortless. I had an Infinity QX4 before and wanted to buy another but Infinity, in its wisdom, stopped making QX4. I needed a reasonably sized vehicle that could handle heavy loads and be confortable. This is certainly that vehicle. My criticism of it has to do with small squeaks and noises that I've heard from the car. The dealer has been very accommodating but they have not seemed to be able to eliminate this problem entirely. Also, the trim isn't as luxurious as one would expect with a vehicle at this price. I love the split back tailgate which makes loading easy and is tall enough for a person 6' plus. The seats are very comfortable for a tall person. (I found most of the Japanese manufacturers make seats meant for people under 5'8") The AWD has been great in the mountains. The sound system is just adequete so I'd recommend installing an after market system since Volvo will charge you an arm and leg for the upgraded one. I also wish there was more storage areas for stuff. And no built case for eyeglasses is inexcusable! This is an option and should be standard. Gas mileage is quite an improvement from the QX4 even though the Volvo is larger. And one can't beat the good looks of the vehicle! So all in all a good vehicle that could be great with some small improvements."

Love this vehicle

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"I was in the market shopping and looking around for months before I finally ordered my XC90. I got it in Jan 2007 and love it. My wife has a BMW and says she would rather be driving the Volvo as it rides and handles better for her. I have the V8 and am getting about 16 MPG so far. Tried to go with normal unleaded when gas prices were creeping up and my check engine light came on. Put mid grade back in and the light has gone off. (keep in mind that the octane levels are lower in Germany). My only complaint is where the plug in for the mp3 connector is.. that is it... I love this car and would buy another one."

Wouldn't do it again

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Back to the shop for clunking in the front end at least 3x. They don't hear it, claim I need new tires, with only 21000 miles on them. No help from volvo, dealer or manuf.. I guess it should be expected that the tires don't last. Very expensive item to replace annually"

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

Buyers BEWARE

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"Let me get straight to the point - buying my Volvo XC90 T6 was one of the worst decisions I have ever made and I made the mistake twice. I'll explain - I bought the first XC90 in September 2004. It was a brand new 2004 model with about 350 miles on the odometer. An hour after I drove it off the lot, the check engine light came on. A month, five trips into the retail repair shop, and countless phone calls later, Volvo decided to repurchase my car as a Lemon because they could not get the check engine light to go off (they even put in a new engine!). I made my fatal error that day deciding to merely trade the Lemon (what are the chances of getting ANOTHER Lemon, right?) for another XC90. They offered to trade it for a 2005 model and after some arm wrestling, they threw in an extended warranty. I wish I could say my compaints end there and we drove happily into the sunset. No, the car has been nothing but trouble. It has been in the shop every three months. It has had its suspension worked on, the power steering changed, the struts replaced, the shocks changed, and the cream on the cake - the entire transmission had to be replaced when it was around 40,000 miles. These are just the things I remember - I'm sure there are about half a dozen other things I don't. This car has been nothing short of a nghtmare and for the amount we paid for it - it should be a crime to make such an unreliable car and charge so much for it. I would absolutely NEVER EVER buy a Volvo again. So, if you are even considering buy this car - DON'T. Trust me - you'll regret it - I do, everyday."

safe and fun

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"In the collision repair industry and see safty features most pass by.This is an excellent SUV that has fit, finish, and features beyond the pack. Many choices out there but look beneath the skin and there is only one. The XC90V8 is head and sholders above others for innovative safety. And runs with the best of them, very fun to drive."

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007