• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2011 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 415 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 ... 15 16 17 | Next

Volvo XC-90

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Purchased this Volvo SUV with 38,000 miles on it and it has been in the shop on and off approximately 10-12 times in the past 5 months. Never had issues this bad with a car. Main problem has been the transmission which has given me fits from week one. I have been scared to take a left onto a street or at a red light for fear of being side swiped. My 15 year old almost had a wreck in it as she tried to cross a busy street due to transmission failing once again. Took it in more than 10 times when under warrenty for transmission and all they did was redownload software. Finally at 1000 miles past warrenty I had to put in a new transmission at the tune of 4600 dollars . Volvo did not cover this even though it had been a complaint since I owwned it. Volvo knows they have problems with this but they are doing nothing about it. I also hear the replacement transmissions dont last more than 50000 miles either. Don't buy this car if your hard earned money is worth anything to you!"

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

Fatally Flawed

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Dont buy this car. I have owned mine for a little over a year now, and spent about $8,000 on repairs. The T6 XC90s come with a horribly unreliable transmission, which I had to pay full cost to replace at 56,000 miles. Transmissions should not be going dead 6,000 after the warranty, and Volvo should front some of the bill, which they do not. Please beware of this car. Other than the ridiculous reliability though, I do love the car. It handles wonderfully and has great power. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I do think its stupid that Volvo cant get an iPod adaptor for it though."

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"excellent ride for big suv.could use more power for intown driving"

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"I love my Volvo, I get about 23 to the gallon. The only thing is the maintence is very expensive."

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

Nice, but...

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this car because it was a great lease deal at the right time. After test driving it, I loved the powerful engine, and the seats were very comfortable. My 6 & 4 year old loved the "televisons" mounted in the front seat headrestraints. After owning the car for 13 months on a 2 year lease, I am looking to get out of the lease. Reliabiity stinks. The car goes in the shop for many minor issues. Ball bearings, windshield wipers, etc. My local dealer only has a loaner avialable every 3 weeks. Standard 15k service is $150. Of much more import, is the horrible blind spots in this SUV. I have owned other SUV's and cars and this is by far the worst. My wife refused to drive it with our kids in it, and at least once per week I cut someone off or almost get t-boned because you cannot see other cars. Other issues are smaller, but should not be there for a $55,000 SUV. No sunglasses holder? Come on. No satellite radio. No iPod input. The DVD is nice, but you cannot control the DVD from the navigation screen and are forced to twist and turn while driving to help your children. No voice interaction with the navigation and no bluetooth. Honestly, the car reminds me of my GMC Envoy, 2003, but it is $20,000 more. Nice, but not worth it."

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

Safe, but unreliable

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We have owned ours for 3+ yrs. It has been in the shop for everything under the sun (and Volvo has been less than helpful). Needless to say, we have been extremely disappointed. However, we bought the XC90 because of the safety features, and fortunately have never had to use them, but I have seen them in action during my employment as a Trooper. Dump truck blows a stop sign and broadsides a XC90. In any other car, the occupants would have been killed - these folks had only minor injuries. As mad as I am about the reliability, I would buy another - there isn't a safer car on the road."

Good car with some flaws

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Let's be upfront about something......people who own cars are not always the best reviewers. They have a vested interest in keeping up the value of their investment so they will tend to temper their criticism. That said, this is a good car that I would consider owning again. I bought the standard engine and was a bit concerned when I bought a boat whether it would be adequete for pulling the load. Absolutely no problem. We drive it to Big Bear and going up the mountain is almost effortless. I had an Infinity QX4 before and wanted to buy another but Infinity, in its wisdom, stopped making QX4. I needed a reasonably sized vehicle that could handle heavy loads and be confortable. This is certainly that vehicle. My criticism of it has to do with small squeaks and noises that I've heard from the car. The dealer has been very accommodating but they have not seemed to be able to eliminate this problem entirely. Also, the trim isn't as luxurious as one would expect with a vehicle at this price. I love the split back tailgate which makes loading easy and is tall enough for a person 6' plus. The seats are very comfortable for a tall person. (I found most of the Japanese manufacturers make seats meant for people under 5'8") The AWD has been great in the mountains. The sound system is just adequete so I'd recommend installing an after market system since Volvo will charge you an arm and leg for the upgraded one. I also wish there was more storage areas for stuff. And no built case for eyeglasses is inexcusable! This is an option and should be standard. Gas mileage is quite an improvement from the QX4 even though the Volvo is larger. And one can't beat the good looks of the vehicle! So all in all a good vehicle that could be great with some small improvements."

Love this vehicle

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"I was in the market shopping and looking around for months before I finally ordered my XC90. I got it in Jan 2007 and love it. My wife has a BMW and says she would rather be driving the Volvo as it rides and handles better for her. I have the V8 and am getting about 16 MPG so far. Tried to go with normal unleaded when gas prices were creeping up and my check engine light came on. Put mid grade back in and the light has gone off. (keep in mind that the octane levels are lower in Germany). My only complaint is where the plug in for the mp3 connector is.. that is it... I love this car and would buy another one."

Wouldn't do it again

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Back to the shop for clunking in the front end at least 3x. They don't hear it, claim I need new tires, with only 21000 miles on them. No help from volvo, dealer or manuf.. I guess it should be expected that the tires don't last. Very expensive item to replace annually"

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

Buyers BEWARE

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"Let me get straight to the point - buying my Volvo XC90 T6 was one of the worst decisions I have ever made and I made the mistake twice. I'll explain - I bought the first XC90 in September 2004. It was a brand new 2004 model with about 350 miles on the odometer. An hour after I drove it off the lot, the check engine light came on. A month, five trips into the retail repair shop, and countless phone calls later, Volvo decided to repurchase my car as a Lemon because they could not get the check engine light to go off (they even put in a new engine!). I made my fatal error that day deciding to merely trade the Lemon (what are the chances of getting ANOTHER Lemon, right?) for another XC90. They offered to trade it for a 2005 model and after some arm wrestling, they threw in an extended warranty. I wish I could say my compaints end there and we drove happily into the sunset. No, the car has been nothing but trouble. It has been in the shop every three months. It has had its suspension worked on, the power steering changed, the struts replaced, the shocks changed, and the cream on the cake - the entire transmission had to be replaced when it was around 40,000 miles. These are just the things I remember - I'm sure there are about half a dozen other things I don't. This car has been nothing short of a nghtmare and for the amount we paid for it - it should be a crime to make such an unreliable car and charge so much for it. I would absolutely NEVER EVER buy a Volvo again. So, if you are even considering buy this car - DON'T. Trust me - you'll regret it - I do, everyday."

safe and fun

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"In the collision repair industry and see safty features most pass by.This is an excellent SUV that has fit, finish, and features beyond the pack. Many choices out there but look beneath the skin and there is only one. The XC90V8 is head and sholders above others for innovative safety. And runs with the best of them, very fun to drive."

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bullit Proof

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"I bought my XC90 AWD new in 2004. I have had zero problems in 40,000 miles. The car is very comfortable on long trips and I feel ultra safe in the car. The stying is great and the packaging and use of space is very good. Even the third row seats are not bad for short trips for adults and my teenagers still fit. I have the base 2.5 turbo charged motor and the power is adequate, but I did not buy the vehicle for it's acceleration times. The sound of the engine leaves a little to be desired but reliability has been great. In the snow the vehicle has been very good... unstoppable so far. So far, a satisfied owner."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Thursday, August 02, 2007

"The most safety, confortable, and stylish vehicle there is. Specially, if you are young mother this car is for you."

Volvo XC90 V8 Trivial concerns

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Navigation should be part of a package that people can't live without. Being a $3k option on it's own made me shy away from it and I purchased a unit off the shelf. I'd also like to see multiple options for rear hatch configurations. The split level hatch is nice, but I'd prefer a single unit or one with an electric window similar to the 4Runner. Perhaps having multiple configurations available would make the vehicle more customizeable giving people a more personal feel about their vehicle. Also, the center seats should recline and the rear seats should be on rails also so that they could go back all the way. There are times when I could have 7 people in the car to go to dinner and I won't need the luggage space at all. I would love to see more space made available for passengers. If both center and reat seats could recline and had more distance on their rails it would improve comfort. The room is available, and making that available to passengers would be great! Overall, it is a great vehicle and I have no plans to get rid of it. I enjoy the ease of how the V8 reacts. I have had it full of people and luggage and it reacts as if I'm alone. The auto-leveling suspension eliminates any tail sag from the extra weight. The adaptive steering and gearing is very intuitive to what I'm doing. Shifting at higher RPM's when I'm driving harder makes it react like a big sports car. Especially when you can feel the suspension tighten up and the steering become firm. The 6-speed transmission is effortless and never makes the engine labor when passing. I lived in Germany for the first year I owned it and I did a lot of Autobahn traveling. Even at 90 MPH it does everything effortlessly. Styling is great, as are the amentities within. My only problem was with Navigation. In Europe we could not load the European disc, we were told we'd have to keep it in the computer and use it in "READ-ONLY". But I was told this before-hand which made me not order it. (Good customer service in my book). The drivers seat has me somewhat concerned as I think it could wear out much quicker than I'd expect from an SUV of this price. The outer bolster seems to be softer and not as supportive as it was when we originally drove it home. A little extra support in the front seats regardless wouldn’t hurt my feelings. When I took it in for it's 15k mile service I had 3 rubber boots that had to be put back on. The one around where the turn indicator meets the steering column had come off, as well as two that were under the center seats. That had me questioning the quality at first. They have not given me any troubles since, just sort of an annoyance. A good friend has had a VW Touraeg about the same amount of time and has had numerous troubles with the adjustable suspension in his as well as service lights coming on. This has landed him in a courtesy car for a few weeks. Compared to his troubles, mine have been quite trivial, so I feel that I have a better vehicle, and he agrees with me. Everyone should own one!"

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I had always wanted a xc90 and finally purchased one. It is a very comfortable and stylish vehicle... I love it!"

The best one Yet

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Great Vehicle"

Great vehicle for my wife

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"My wife loves her 2005 XC90 Volvo and would only sell it for a newer version. I have been wanting to trade it for something a little cheaper and that is better on gas, but that won't happen. Other than the price, I love the vehicle as well; its very fun to drive. The fuel economy lately has been averaging 20 mpg in town and 22 mpg highway. This is as good if not better than any other vehicle in its class, especially if you compare to other 7 passenger vehicles."

Previous | 1 ... 15 16 17 | Next