2010 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 444 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Not flashy, repairs a must, but a fun ride

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Costs less than competitors in market"

Cons: "Lots of repairs, lots"

"My 2003 has 130,000 miles and it's still going on its second transmission (replaced at 65K for @$6,000). I get the oil changed when I need to and make sure to get it serviced when it tells me to. I drive almost 100 miles to and from work, round trip and the XC90 is smooth and comfortable. However, it's starting to show its age. The air freezes up frequently and I've had to make minor repairs a lot more often it seems. Last year the navigation system went kaput and its way too expensive to replace. I don't know if I'd buy one again, but I'd think about it."

2.5T is a Great SUV

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "Handling, Looks, Safety"

Cons: "Rear Seat Comfort (for over 6 ft), So many around"

"I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T with 94,000 miles. This was my first Volvo and it has made me a life time Volvo buyer. Perfect blend of space,price,luxury, and reliability, not bad gas mileage either. I know the T6 model has transmission issues, but if you get or have the 2.5T you should have no problems. Went from a Lexus to this SUV and am impressed by everything about the XC90 and Volvo brand, including amazing customer service at my local dealership. If you are in the market for one, make sure it's been well taken care of, but if you find a good example, snatch it up."

Fantastic SUV

By on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"My XC90 is my fourth Volvo. I have enjoyed them all, but this one is the best. I have 98,000 miles and it runs like it's new. I have had virtually NO problems, it is a maintenance dream. Drive is tight, interior is luxurious and comfortable. Great SUV, would definitely recommend it."

GREAT car

By on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"GREAT car. Family of 5 fits easily with 2 more seats in the back and room for luggage. Drives super smooth. Great engine. Great quality. Never had any issues even after 65,000 miles"

Unbiased in Maine

By on Sunday, January 03, 2010

"Purchased a silver 2004 XC90 2.5T 3years ago from Lexus dealer for wife. Vehicle now has approx. 115K miles. No major mechanical issues thus far. 2.5 has adequate acceleration. Goes down highway excellent (extremely straight and smooth). Does have some creaks when hitting substantial bumps on secondary roads. Need to keep tires rotated. Use caution backing up due to limited visability. Dealership scheduled maintenance can be pricey. Chrome trim around windows beginning to oxidize. Excellent factory sound system. Despite some flaws, I'm rating this Volvo as a good solid vehicle...thus far."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, November 05, 2009

"I absolutely love my Volvo XC90 with a V8. This car has so much power yet not with a huge gasoline price tag. I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a classy car with get up and go power."

Excellent vehicle

By on Saturday, July 11, 2009

"Owned for 5+ years and 75M miles.Drives and rides great. Very versatile for hauling and pulling trailers."

Tons of problems

By on Monday, January 12, 2009

"I was sold on this car when I rode it in the dealership, but soon after it has been nothing but problems. It was a used car that fell out of warranty while I had it and I should have bought the extended warranty. Instead, I have spent about $6K in the year and a half that I've owned it. The last time it was in the shop was for a full transmission overhaul that was priced out at $7K for me, but the dealership called Volvo Inc for us and got them to comp the parts ($4,500) because they thought the parts were faulty. We shouldn't have to overhaul the transmission at 70K miles. Still had to pay $2500 for the service though. On top of that, the residual value of the car has plummeted, and I'm upside down on the car - otherwise I would have just sold it. Kudos to our great local dealership, but I wouldn't buy again."

OK Vehicle, not excellent

By on Monday, December 15, 2008

"we leased this car after our child's birth, mainly for safety reasons. we've had it for two years. It started off with minor problems which later on became more pronounced. For example the first week of the lease, we were in winter, and the heater fan was so loud i couldn't even hear the music out of the radio. Electrical problems and noises entered this symphony of noise about a year into the car's life. Dealer kept telling me it's nothing, but I know better. Service was really expensive, windshield wiper $85.00 for instance. The sales staff were unprofessional beyond imagination. At some point I felt that I was haggling in a thrift shop. Much disappointed with Volvo's reputation as a leading European Car. Additional options such as blue tooth, i-pod are a joke. Dealers charges an insane amount of money for both, when I picked up the car I was so disappointed. The I-pod doc, was basically a $50 fm radio transmitter which you can buy from best buy. The blue tooth, was a stand alone unit as well that you can install yourself. Overall cost for both was over a thousand dollars, for two units that wold have cost me less than $300 to do it myself. I don't even want to talk about navigation. Bells and Whistles on this car do not "RING" at all to my ears. I would recommend leasing it, but DO NOT BUY."

Lemons galour

By on Sunday, November 02, 2008

"My wife and I bought this vehicle after our second child. Great design BUT...if you ever have any problems like we did, you better open your wallet. THis was our second Volvo. Transmission problems, Rear Main seal(very expensive). Tons of electrical problems that come full circle to everything else. The dealer will give you a runaround excuse and hand you an astronomical bill. Do not ever buy Volvo and I'm hearing the same thing from my friends. If you want safety then its there,but YOU WILL pay for everything else!"

DO NOT BUY this vehicle

By on Thursday, October 30, 2008

"I was a loyal Volvo owner prior to purchasing this car, but will never buy another Volvo. I purchased the vehicle for the safety record, reliability (which was above average at the time of purchase), styling and comfort. My story, please don't make the same mistake: I've owned an '04 XC90, paid sticker price and have regretted the decision shortly after taking delivery. The vehicle has seen the dealer repair shop a total of 27 times for suspension problems, defective radio (replaced three times), brake problems, hardware squeaks and various electrical problems that were never repaired correctly. The service experience is awful. The service technicians play dumb, like they have never seen the problems before, but after talking with the other customers in the waiting room, the problem is wide spread. There appears to be design issues with the transmission and suspension that continue to plague the vehicle but Volvo refuses to replace the probelm parts for free. They will provide a "good-will" discount, but I expect a free replacement especially since the service department will admit that Volvo has had probelms with the parts. News flash, this is not a way to keep customers or bring them back to the show room. After 4 years my car has lost 75% of it's value. Don't waste your time, energy and hard earned money on this vehicle. Please purchase a car that has a better reliability record. Oh ya, the local Acura dealer say's thanks, they earned my business."

By on Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Bad transmission, normal maintanance is too expensive"

Hate my Volvo!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2008

"I've had my XC90 three years and can't wait to turn it in at the end of my lease! Nothing but problems. The worst is the awful smelling A/C. It smells like feet! I've had it in to the dealer at least 6 or 7 times to have the A/C system flushed and deodorized and whatever else they do. Finally, when the smell went from smelly feet to a urine smell so bad that I couldn't use the a/c at all in an Arizona summer, they replaced the entire system and admitted that Volvos are prone to developing mold in the a/c. That fix worked for about 6 months and now the smell is back. Other problems: very noisy tires that were eventually recalled and had to be replaced (only partially paid for by Volvo), windows that don't work, Homelink doesn't work, clogged washer fluid, lots of electrical issues and false service warnings. I've been to the dealer so many times for so many little things. Other complaints: not enough leg room in second row, hard to get to 3rd row, terrible gas mileage. There has to be a better SUV out there for the money!"

nothing but problems

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"I had to replace the transmission twice on this car. $5,000 later and with only 65,000 miles i am not a happy consumer. I will never shop for any Volvo product again. I will make sure I tell my story to everyone i know."

04 T6 Solid

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"I am a multiple SUV owner and this the best one so far. Regular maintenance and a new set of tires after 29K is all it has taken. I just upgraded the tires to 255/65/18 and it just happens that is what is coming on the new rigs. I just drove it across the country with 2700 miles in five days without a single issue. Installed and aftermarket 10" DVD and my daughter asked if she could have the car when she grew up. I will get the V8 next now that the turbo has been discontinued."

Fatally Flawed

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Dont buy this car. I have owned mine for a little over a year now, and spent about $8,000 on repairs. The T6 XC90s come with a horribly unreliable transmission, which I had to pay full cost to replace at 56,000 miles. Transmissions should not be going dead 6,000 after the warranty, and Volvo should front some of the bill, which they do not. Please beware of this car. Other than the ridiculous reliability though, I do love the car. It handles wonderfully and has great power. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I do think its stupid that Volvo cant get an iPod adaptor for it though."

Wouldn't do it again

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Back to the shop for clunking in the front end at least 3x. They don't hear it, claim I need new tires, with only 21000 miles on them. No help from volvo, dealer or manuf.. I guess it should be expected that the tires don't last. Very expensive item to replace annually"

Bullit Proof

By on Sunday, August 05, 2007

"I bought my XC90 AWD new in 2004. I have had zero problems in 40,000 miles. The car is very comfortable on long trips and I feel ultra safe in the car. The stying is great and the packaging and use of space is very good. Even the third row seats are not bad for short trips for adults and my teenagers still fit. I have the base 2.5 turbo charged motor and the power is adequate, but I did not buy the vehicle for it's acceleration times. The sound of the engine leaves a little to be desired but reliability has been great. In the snow the vehicle has been very good... unstoppable so far. So far, a satisfied owner."

First Volvo

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This is my first Volvo, bought it sight unseen. Never even been in a XC90 before. Bought it for the safety record. Handles well, nice interior, sharp exterior. They say the V8 has some gitty up, so far the smaller turbo engine has plenty of go for me. I have yet to tow anything, we will see what it can do with some snowmobiles behind it. Solid truck, will continue to buy Volvo."

Amazing safety, quality, and design.

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

Pros: "Great, comfortable, safe, controlable"

Cons: "Gas mileage, cost of repairs, cost of parts."

"Great, comfortable, safe, controlable, great all around car."

Would buy it again.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, stylish"

Cons: "can't think of any!"

"I've had my 2006 XC90 for three years. I bought it as a certified used car with 28K miles on it. It has been a gem. I have two small children and this car is the perfect Mom-mobile. Large enough to haul a couple of extra kids, a ginormous dog, and a load of groceries but small enough to be fairly fuel efficient. My husband recently closed a few deals leaving us with a nice chunk of change and he offered to buy me a new vehicle in the 35-50K price range and I really can't think of a reason to get rid of my XC90. I have the service records from the previous owner and between the two of us we have never had to do anything more than regular maintenence on this vehicle. This is my 3rd Volvo and I am a devoted buyer after our first saved my husband's life. If you are looking for a luxury vehicle that won't cost you an arm and a leg to maintain and will look good for years to come then the XC90 is for you."

Do your home work first!

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Great styling"

Cons: "very high total cost of ownership"

"I love the styling of the XC90 and the performance is great. Long road trips are a pleasure and the seats are comfy. I think there could be more storage in the arm rest. However, when this vehicle goes to the shop (and it will) be prepared to fork out some cash. My XC90 has 83k miles and the transmission shift valve went out. The vehicle was shifting too soon which made it jerk at low speeds. This was a $3500 repair and I have completely lost my confidence in this vehicle. When my warranty for the work has expired I am trading this thing back in and getting a Toyota."

Best Family Vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, September 23, 2011

Pros: "Handles well, solid driving experience."

Cons: "Would like to have factory tinted windows in the driver and passenger side of the cabin."

"I bought this from the dealer in Seoul, drove it around South Korea for two years before shipping it to the States. Great car, very solid, handles well, especially in inclimate weather. I like driving on long trips, the XC90 cruises effortlessly at highway speeds, you don't feel the road as you cruise along. I recommend this particular to anyone concerned with safety as well as performance."

transmission gone

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Have v8 xc90 90k miles. transmission shot and cant by parts. Volvov only warrenties 50k miles. Have to spend 5k to replace whole transmission. Also brakes go quickly and need replaced frequently."

By on Friday, October 22, 2010

"Volvo for life, means you'll find much more driver and passenger friendly features with top of the line quality most consumers says volvo parts expensive parts actually cheaper because lasts longer .... driving one it's not enought you need to own one..."