• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2010 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 416 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

2007 Volvo XC 90 AWD. A car to fall in love with

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "It has your bells and whistles it just can't yodel"

Cons: "7 qts blend synthetic & change every 7500 miles"

"This dark blue XC90 is awesome and great to drive. A 3.2 6cyl engine is surprisingly powerful and responsive. I have never had an engine or component issue. Tires at least 66%. Leather interior, driver and passenger power seats, they are heated as well, power front and rear windows. 6 disc CD changer, retractable moon roof and heated exterior mirrors with remote adjustment. Front fog lights and an additional fog light to switch on so that you are easier to see to drivers behind you. Rear passenger area also has A/C vents with front and rear controls. Front windshield can sense rain and intensity and adjust itself automatically. Traction control is augmented with adjustment for wet road conditions. Immaculate inside and out. No cuts or tears on leather."

One of the best SUV's i have driven.

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

"VOLVO QUALITY AND SAFETY. SPORTS CAR SPEED AND HANDLING. FOR THE PRICE YOU CAN NOT BEAT THE SAFETY AND RELIABILITY OF THIS VEHICLE. VOLVO SAFETY SPORTS CAR POWER AND SPEED. ACCLERATION IS FANTASTIC AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE LETS YOU HANDLE CORNERS FLAWLESSY."

Not a reliable car

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable ride & large back cargo area"

Cons: "Price, unreliable & costly upkeep"

"Purchased new. Think it was built with used parts. Paid top $ & it doesn't even have a compass. First week light bulbs had to be replaced & then driver seat belt didn't work. Had to replace 3 of the original performance tires before the first yr was out. Warning lights come-on all the time. Each time have to take it in & Volvo just re-sets system. Have had to replace so many parts in the 5 yrs I've had it. I get it serviced & aligned regularly by Volvo dealership, so shouldn't be having all the problems I've had with it. Not a reliable car & very expensive once 60k warranty expires. Had to replace 2 hubs/bearings & it was over $1,200. Getting ready to trade car in before anything else goes wrong with it."

I have loved this car!!!

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"I can't say enough about this vehicle, no rust on a 10 year old car is amazing to me!! Made to last, performs great, AWD is great in Michigan weather! I would buy another Volvo XC90, but am disappointed that the 2014 interior looks just like my 2004! I would like to see some changes, so it feels like a new car inside and out!"

XC90 Volvo

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

"Have owned this vehicle for about 4 years, purchased new. Owned another Volvo before that (also purchased new). My XC90 (AWD 3.2) was the most comfortable, right size, and had the needed 4WD and other amenities. Extremely good leather seats, not as good as previous Volvo but close. Good visibility, easy controls, comfortable controlled ride, luxury details without a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles. Handles well on open rode and trips, no problems even in heavy winds with lots of semis around. No, it' not the fastest thing out of the gate but it moves just fine and safely through traffic and passing lanes and it rides very smooth and sound. Ok in snow, not great, but using caution no problems...far better than some SUVs I've drive in snow. Center control area could be better designed - however, looking at photos of the new to be future 2015 XC90, Volvo appears to be going in reverse instead of forward with their design ideas (i.e. good use of space )less cabin comforts and overuse of cold unfriendly looking high tech metals. I want a nice safe ride, luxury ad comfort - if I wanted a sport high tech vehicle I'd buy a sports car. They seem to have lost sight of the more basic European luxury wants and needs of their base clientele that may still be looking to buy these vehicles in the future. I don't particularly like the added sporty elements of the 2014 XC90 version but still considering the 2014 because compared to what is out there it still has the most of what I am looking for in the price range and it's been an excellent vehicle thus far. Everything interior/exterior has held up like new. It's a heavy vehicle, you will have to replace tires about 30K or more that is a given. Volvo doesn't make the tires (read tire reviews, most are bad). Gas mileage could be better - of course - but it's higher than posted here. I average 20-21 between city and highway, mostly around town driving which for this size is still not bad. The 3rd row seating is useless to me, never used, always down. This should be optional, and it would reduce the cost for those of us who do not need it too. I don't intend to purchase past 2014 (if I do ) the 2015 looks like an XC60 on slight steroids, is not particularly luxurious for this price range nor well thought out inside either. Volvos have slowly evolved to look like most vehicles out there, not distinctive and not good. Having driven an XC60 too can say it was also not their best effort with a very uncomfortable and useless cramped cabin/ interior and nothing special otherwise. I expect a future XC90's to be a disappointment to many longtime Volvo drivers. Unfortunately, the choices are getting smaller instead of larger for those looking for real European SUV's in this size and price range."

V8 Beware!

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Thank God I had an extended warrantee! Right at 90K the Balance Shaft Bearing blew. It took a month of fighting with the warrantee folks but they finally agreed to replace the engine with a rebuild aftermarket. Volvo said that a new engine would cost $16,500.00. Stay clear of this V8 from 2005 they were made wrong and Volvo decided not to do a re-call. The Balance Shaft Bearing does not get lubed from the engine oil. Aftermarket and engines made 6 months after the first release are fixed, but if you have one of the first models off the rack beware it’s a ticking time bomb!"

2005 AWD 5Cyl Turbo

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Safety, stability, handling, comfort, looks"

Cons: "Tire wear, repair part cost,"

"Test drove this vehicle against all popular SUV's prior to purchase in 2004. XC-90 was a true 7 passenger SUV with excellent handling and adequate power. The vehicle condition is 9/9 inside and out and looks fresh after 9 years. Since new have replaced tires 3x, brakes once, heater core, fuel pump, fuel distributor. The repair costs are comparable for the brand and class. The vehicle has provided excellent service with a level of comfort and safety not experienced with other vehicles. Recent 'check engine' light codes for very minor items are annoying but not serious which may be software issues as opposed to failing components. Would like to purchase a new XC-90 but plan to keep this vehicle for the next 3-5 years."

Good for safety...mechanically a piece of junk

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

"WE purchased the car new. After the warrantly expired the rear wheel bearing failed...$600. Volvo did not flinch. One year later the other bearing failed. This time with a lot of noise the split the cost with me. Shortly thereafter the transmission failed. I spent a lot to have them diagnose it and then they finally agreed to replace it after I found web material that a class action suit was pending. There are many more other items that add up to a piece of junk car mechanically."

Very reliable and I feel very safe in this car.

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"I never owned a Volvo before this one, but if I could afford a new one I would buy again."

Luxury & Safety--I got both!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "affordable luxury, safe, spacious, fun, classic"

Cons: "average gas mileage, not good for off-road travel,"

"I wanted a luxury vehicle that would also give me the peace of mind of safety. After shopping around for months, I found that I'd have to sacrifice one option to have the other or pay out the nose for all. That isn't the case with the Volvo! My XC90 provides me with the luxury and comfort I desired for me and the long-known Volvo safety, dependability, and comfort that I wanted for driving with my kids."