2009 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 429 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

Nice, but...

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this car because it was a great lease deal at the right time. After test driving it, I loved the powerful engine, and the seats were very comfortable. My 6 & 4 year old loved the "televisons" mounted in the front seat headrestraints. After owning the car for 13 months on a 2 year lease, I am looking to get out of the lease. Reliabiity stinks. The car goes in the shop for many minor issues. Ball bearings, windshield wipers, etc. My local dealer only has a loaner avialable every 3 weeks. Standard 15k service is $150. Of much more import, is the horrible blind spots in this SUV. I have owned other SUV's and cars and this is by far the worst. My wife refused to drive it with our kids in it, and at least once per week I cut someone off or almost get t-boned because you cannot see other cars. Other issues are smaller, but should not be there for a $55,000 SUV. No sunglasses holder? Come on. No satellite radio. No iPod input. The DVD is nice, but you cannot control the DVD from the navigation screen and are forced to twist and turn while driving to help your children. No voice interaction with the navigation and no bluetooth. Honestly, the car reminds me of my GMC Envoy, 2003, but it is $20,000 more. Nice, but not worth it."

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

Safe, but unreliable

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We have owned ours for 3+ yrs. It has been in the shop for everything under the sun (and Volvo has been less than helpful). Needless to say, we have been extremely disappointed. However, we bought the XC90 because of the safety features, and fortunately have never had to use them, but I have seen them in action during my employment as a Trooper. Dump truck blows a stop sign and broadsides a XC90. In any other car, the occupants would have been killed - these folks had only minor injuries. As mad as I am about the reliability, I would buy another - there isn't a safer car on the road."

Good car with some flaws

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Let's be upfront about something......people who own cars are not always the best reviewers. They have a vested interest in keeping up the value of their investment so they will tend to temper their criticism. That said, this is a good car that I would consider owning again. I bought the standard engine and was a bit concerned when I bought a boat whether it would be adequete for pulling the load. Absolutely no problem. We drive it to Big Bear and going up the mountain is almost effortless. I had an Infinity QX4 before and wanted to buy another but Infinity, in its wisdom, stopped making QX4. I needed a reasonably sized vehicle that could handle heavy loads and be confortable. This is certainly that vehicle. My criticism of it has to do with small squeaks and noises that I've heard from the car. The dealer has been very accommodating but they have not seemed to be able to eliminate this problem entirely. Also, the trim isn't as luxurious as one would expect with a vehicle at this price. I love the split back tailgate which makes loading easy and is tall enough for a person 6' plus. The seats are very comfortable for a tall person. (I found most of the Japanese manufacturers make seats meant for people under 5'8") The AWD has been great in the mountains. The sound system is just adequete so I'd recommend installing an after market system since Volvo will charge you an arm and leg for the upgraded one. I also wish there was more storage areas for stuff. And no built case for eyeglasses is inexcusable! This is an option and should be standard. Gas mileage is quite an improvement from the QX4 even though the Volvo is larger. And one can't beat the good looks of the vehicle! So all in all a good vehicle that could be great with some small improvements."