2008 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 448 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Tons of problems

By on Monday, January 12, 2009

"I was sold on this car when I rode it in the dealership, but soon after it has been nothing but problems. It was a used car that fell out of warranty while I had it and I should have bought the extended warranty. Instead, I have spent about $6K in the year and a half that I've owned it. The last time it was in the shop was for a full transmission overhaul that was priced out at $7K for me, but the dealership called Volvo Inc for us and got them to comp the parts ($4,500) because they thought the parts were faulty. We shouldn't have to overhaul the transmission at 70K miles. Still had to pay $2500 for the service though. On top of that, the residual value of the car has plummeted, and I'm upside down on the car - otherwise I would have just sold it. Kudos to our great local dealership, but I wouldn't buy again."

OK Vehicle, not excellent

By on Monday, December 15, 2008

"we leased this car after our child's birth, mainly for safety reasons. we've had it for two years. It started off with minor problems which later on became more pronounced. For example the first week of the lease, we were in winter, and the heater fan was so loud i couldn't even hear the music out of the radio. Electrical problems and noises entered this symphony of noise about a year into the car's life. Dealer kept telling me it's nothing, but I know better. Service was really expensive, windshield wiper $85.00 for instance. The sales staff were unprofessional beyond imagination. At some point I felt that I was haggling in a thrift shop. Much disappointed with Volvo's reputation as a leading European Car. Additional options such as blue tooth, i-pod are a joke. Dealers charges an insane amount of money for both, when I picked up the car I was so disappointed. The I-pod doc, was basically a $50 fm radio transmitter which you can buy from best buy. The blue tooth, was a stand alone unit as well that you can install yourself. Overall cost for both was over a thousand dollars, for two units that wold have cost me less than $300 to do it myself. I don't even want to talk about navigation. Bells and Whistles on this car do not "RING" at all to my ears. I would recommend leasing it, but DO NOT BUY."

Lemons galour

By on Sunday, November 2, 2008

"My wife and I bought this vehicle after our second child. Great design BUT...if you ever have any problems like we did, you better open your wallet. THis was our second Volvo. Transmission problems, Rear Main seal(very expensive). Tons of electrical problems that come full circle to everything else. The dealer will give you a runaround excuse and hand you an astronomical bill. Do not ever buy Volvo and I'm hearing the same thing from my friends. If you want safety then its there,but YOU WILL pay for everything else!"

DO NOT BUY this vehicle

By on Thursday, October 30, 2008

"I was a loyal Volvo owner prior to purchasing this car, but will never buy another Volvo. I purchased the vehicle for the safety record, reliability (which was above average at the time of purchase), styling and comfort. My story, please don't make the same mistake: I've owned an '04 XC90, paid sticker price and have regretted the decision shortly after taking delivery. The vehicle has seen the dealer repair shop a total of 27 times for suspension problems, defective radio (replaced three times), brake problems, hardware squeaks and various electrical problems that were never repaired correctly. The service experience is awful. The service technicians play dumb, like they have never seen the problems before, but after talking with the other customers in the waiting room, the problem is wide spread. There appears to be design issues with the transmission and suspension that continue to plague the vehicle but Volvo refuses to replace the probelm parts for free. They will provide a "good-will" discount, but I expect a free replacement especially since the service department will admit that Volvo has had probelms with the parts. News flash, this is not a way to keep customers or bring them back to the show room. After 4 years my car has lost 75% of it's value. Don't waste your time, energy and hard earned money on this vehicle. Please purchase a car that has a better reliability record. Oh ya, the local Acura dealer say's thanks, they earned my business."

By on Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Bad transmission, normal maintanance is too expensive"

Hate my Volvo!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2008

"I've had my XC90 three years and can't wait to turn it in at the end of my lease! Nothing but problems. The worst is the awful smelling A/C. It smells like feet! I've had it in to the dealer at least 6 or 7 times to have the A/C system flushed and deodorized and whatever else they do. Finally, when the smell went from smelly feet to a urine smell so bad that I couldn't use the a/c at all in an Arizona summer, they replaced the entire system and admitted that Volvos are prone to developing mold in the a/c. That fix worked for about 6 months and now the smell is back. Other problems: very noisy tires that were eventually recalled and had to be replaced (only partially paid for by Volvo), windows that don't work, Homelink doesn't work, clogged washer fluid, lots of electrical issues and false service warnings. I've been to the dealer so many times for so many little things. Other complaints: not enough leg room in second row, hard to get to 3rd row, terrible gas mileage. There has to be a better SUV out there for the money!"

Outstanding SUV

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"We own a 2004 XC90 T6. It has simply been an outstanding vehicle. When you consider the size, performance, comfort, safety, and fuel economy it is an outstanding value and satisfying vehicle to own and drive. We've only put 40K on the vehicle but have had no maintenance issues. Vehicle has been serviced by the dealer. The only "part's" replaced were the front brake pads at 30K. This was to be expected with the amount of city driving we do and use of non-metalic brake pads. It's a great vehicle."

nothing but problems

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"I had to replace the transmission twice on this car. $5,000 later and with only 65,000 miles i am not a happy consumer. I will never shop for any Volvo product again. I will make sure I tell my story to everyone i know."

Awesome car horrible navigation system

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"I have a 2004 XC 90 and love it. However, I do not trust the navigation system in the car. It has brought me on the longest routes possible and I have the settings checked on the system for shortest route. I have had my trips doubled in time because of this navigation system. Now I have to use my Garmin GPS and mount it to the window to get reliable directions. I do not recommend getting the Navigation system in this car. It's an older technology that isn't very good. Save your $ and buy a Garmin. Also, with the rising fuel costs I find myself cringing everytime I fuel up the car. Gas milage is only 20mpg. It's still better gas milage then most SUV's on the market today. And you really can't beat the safety that comes with a Volvo. Really is the best out there!"

04 T6 Solid

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"I am a multiple SUV owner and this the best one so far. Regular maintenance and a new set of tires after 29K is all it has taken. I just upgraded the tires to 255/65/18 and it just happens that is what is coming on the new rigs. I just drove it across the country with 2700 miles in five days without a single issue. Installed and aftermarket 10" DVD and my daughter asked if she could have the car when she grew up. I will get the V8 next now that the turbo has been discontinued."