2008 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 448 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Amazing in Snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Buy this Vehicle for your family's safety if you live in the snow or ice. Three blizzards in Colorado, towed our Volvo S60 R to California over 14,000 foot Rockies, after 81,000 miles the car is still going strong. Buy the extended warrentee: many repairs needed cost only $100 per deductable. Two engine mounts, propeller shaft (drive shaft), new rack & Pinion Steering. Gyroscope under driver's seat is amazing and the STC sensors on the wheels. The result: it is impossible to put this car into a skid in snow. . . believe me I tried. The antio skid system puts the right amount of braking and reduced the engine power to straighten out the car! During one of the three Blizzards of 2006/2007 we passed dozens of stranded cars, trucks, and even a police officer stuck at an intersection. Get studless snow tires with ground up Walnut Shells (Blizex) and it stops even on black ice! Amazing. Now we live in California and enjoy sun every day and our 7 month old has plenty of room for her car seat and baby equipment. Bottom line: great car, some repairs needed, but I was surprised to see all of the people's complaints about repairs -- just like humans cars need a little investment. I will go with a Volvo again."

Nice, but requires a lot of maintenance!

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"Got my 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD used with 30K miles. Love the way it handles --excellent in snowy or slippery conditions. I have the third row, which has come in very handy for carting kids around. Drawbacks include: need for premium fuel $$, gas mileage, and lots of frequent maintenance. In the last year and a half I've had to replace tires, front brakes, washer pump, etc.. Thankfully, not huge ticket problems, but I'd be lying if I said that I have 100% faith that this car is reliable...or won't give me a headache in the future. It's a beauty to look at and drive -- but be ready to pay for it!"

Unbiased in Maine

By on Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Purchased a silver 2004 XC90 2.5T 3years ago from Lexus dealer for wife. Vehicle now has approx. 115K miles. No major mechanical issues thus far. 2.5 has adequate acceleration. Goes down highway excellent (extremely straight and smooth). Does have some creaks when hitting substantial bumps on secondary roads. Need to keep tires rotated. Use caution backing up due to limited visability. Dealership scheduled maintenance can be pricey. Chrome trim around windows beginning to oxidize. Excellent factory sound system. Despite some flaws, I'm rating this Volvo as a good solid vehicle...thus far."

Transmission Failure, Tire burner

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"I own a 2005 Volvo XC90 that I purchased in 2007 and this has not been a inexpensive car to maintain. This is my first Volvo and I've been very disappointed with my purchase. This car goes through tires rapidly and the transmission has just gone out at 89K. This is the first time I've ever had to replace a transmission in any car I've ever owned and I've never would have thought I'd have to replace a transmission for any vechile under 100K. On the plus side it's a confortable car that has a suitable amout of get up and go, however, it's not with the trade off."

63,000+ and Rolling

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"I love the look; comfort and ride my XC90 T6 provides. Had minor transmission issue at 40k - dealer replaced under warranty. Vehicle had an exceptional amount of service performed for my expectations of the Volvo name but my service dept. is absolutely great. They did everything they could to keep me happy in spite of my vehcile issues (they did not build it, they service it). It pays to purchase an extended warranty the parts and service for this vehicle are ridiculous. Tires: The original Michelins may get about 18k - did that 2x then learned my lesson. Recently purchased Nokian's and they ride and handle just as good or better than the Michelin and they cost less. They also have a better reputation for longevity and for winter driving. Highly recommended by tire "specialists". Safety is important so may have to find a comparable next time because I'm not sure if I would buy another. Why? Because the premium gas is burning a hole in my purse."