2008 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 424 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

My Sweet XC90

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, good family vehicle, comfortable ride."

Cons: "MPG"

"I have had nothing but positive experiences since buying this used car 18 months ago. Aside from routine maintenance that all cars require, I have spent no extra money on this car. When buying used, I always factor in timing belt replacement, hoses, etc. that people usually don't take care of if they are getting rid of a vehicle. The XC90's cost of replacement parts/labor is comparable to all European brands, which usually run higher than American cars. The car rides and handles great, passengers are comfortable, and the sound is good quality. The MPG is not great, coming in around 18, but it's not terrible."

I love my car

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "comfortable and most reliability."

Cons: "price"

"I have had this car for 8 years and I love it and I will get another one."

Super Fun Rig

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"Caper green with tan leather interior. I have loved having this car. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I have added a kayak rack to the top, but it can easily be removed if it is not wanted. The body is almost flawless, the interior is also in great shape. I am simplifying my life now that my kids are grown and gone. I just don't need this much vehicle any more."

third row seat not convenient to use.

By on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Pros: "Fairly priced against other European SUV. Gd. val"

Cons: "Awkward third seat. Haven't used."

"3.2 engine is not fruga lon gas. Averaged 18.6 mpg on 4 separate trips from Long Island to Stuart, Fl. Vehicle feels safe, good on long trips. A bit cumbersome in heavy traffic. Cargo space is adequate."

Repairs Repairs and weak A/C on these cars...

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

"As a family car the Volvo is comfortable and looks GREAT! As a father of four...we have had astronomical bills on repairs....A/C condenser then compressor....then leaks.....I recommend another car if you are looking for a reliable A/C."

I have had this car since Oct 2003 its a GEM

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable drive and very good on gas"

Cons: "Pricey: Tire replacements high AWD"

"This vehicle is our mine travel car. It has been cross country three times from San Diego to Michigan via cross Canada, cross Northern USA and Southern USA. It has been to Canada twice and several trips to Northern CA, NV and AZ. The interior is designed exceptionally and the exterior is sharp. I am awaiting the arrival of the 2016 model this spring. This has been my most favorite vehicle!!! The ride is exceptional - comfortable - reliable and resilient etc... the best vehicle yet. The cars I have had are Olds, Renault, Mazda, Toyotas (very good) VWs. The color is Ice Green. One feels very safe in this vehicle. Pictures will be loaded later."

BAD, BAD REPAIRS on THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Nice to look at when purchased in 2004"

Cons: "HORRIBLE REPAIR BILLS"

"Love the sleek styling at first glance. However, we have had the WORST possible experience with this car in the world. After the 50,000 mile warranty was up, EVERY major system on this car broke down and needed extensive repairs. I would NEVER recommend this car to a friend or family member. Just took it in for more repairs (trading it in finally) and found that we need $1700. 00 in additional repairs. I asked the service personnel to look at history of repairs and he said it had been repaired 31 times. And I can truthfully say that those were each substantial in dollar amounts. I would even venture to say that we spent as much on repairs as the car cost in the time period we had it. If not more, very close. Maybe we got a lemon, but the dealership did not help out much. Volvo Corporation should be ashamed to call this a reliable car. NEVER, EVER, AGAIN."

this vehicle is l new. new timingbelt tires brakes

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "runs like new"

"I own a repair shop for forty years . This Volvo has been gone over front to back new timing belt , tuned up new brakes and parking brakes, and much much more. This vehicle looks new drives like new and smells like new, and has been kept in a garage since new. If you put it on a Volvo show room floor it would pass as new.This vehicle has passed Maryland state inspection , which is the strictest in the USA . This car is absolutely beautiful"

Our Second XC-90; Still GREAT!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Great utility, comfort, visibility, and power!"

Cons: "Roof mounted antenna wire comes loose."

"Our 2006 XC-90 was hit by a red light runner and totaled, with NO serious injuries to either occupant. A small ankle bruise from the brake pedal, was the ONLY injury. We decided to replace her 2006 with a 2011 XC-90, and we are SURE that was a GREAT decision. After 25000 miles, the engine started smoking, and Volvo replaced the ENTIRE engine after trying two repairs. Very impressive! It is roomy enough to fit five comfortably and seven with the back seats up. With the beach seats easily folded away, a split rear door is comfortable to use and provides access to LOTS of ROOM for groceries and other supplies. We will likely get another XC90 within the next 16 months. We just LOVE this car."

Second Volvo purchased and both have been great!

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "Safe, roomy, family oriented vehicle."

Cons: "Hwy mileage is good, city could be better."

"This is a true SUV. Not one of the crossovers or wannabees. You can tow a boat, pack up a family and be comfortable on a road trip. It's also one of the safest vehicles on the road. I find it comfortable to drive as I have owned a number of other SUV's. There is more room than needed w/ full third row seating (that an adult can fit in). While gas mileage around the city averages 15, I do get mid 20's on the highway. So gas mileage could be better, but could also be worse for what you have. Last, one reason I bought it is because my in-laws own one. They now have 190k miles on it and it is still going strong (and looks good too). Other than normal wear and tare, replacing tires/brakes, they have put less than $2,200 in repairs. So as far as I'm concerned, they got their monies worth."

First car

By on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, easy to drive"

Cons: "maintenance, no navigation, no sensors"

"My mom passed this car down to me with only 30,000 miles while I was in high school and it's still going strong in college! This car is extremely reliable and is made for comfort. The only thing about Volvo is that it is difficult to get parts fixed quickly since it is not made in the US. Besides that I have loved driving my Volvo!"

terrible XC90

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Reason: bad gas mileage bad ride

"I have had Hyundai, Acuras, Volvos and Lexus before this and I was very unhappy with this SUV. We have 2 little children and no problem on back seat. The pickup is HORRIBLE on the 6 Cylinder engine and gas mileage. 17 miles to gallon city driving. This was my first SUV and last. This will also be my last Volvo as they don't hold their value at all when trading in... I really like my 2002 S60 but this one was a mistake."

best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "great"

"I owned 2 grand cherokees and didn't like the noise level in the cabin. My 05 xc90 was quieter, had more torque for getting on the freeways and very reliable. I'd like to get a new one but I'd like them to change something on the newer models...new should not look old."

Volvo XC-90 saved my LIFE !!!! Best car EVER !

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "Safety car , #1 !!!!"

"I would really recommend this car to everyone, especially people who want safety, comfort, and luxury. Its a great car for anyone who has kids but at the same time it is not too bulky like most SUVS. After getting into a major accident (the car was a total loss) in which I shockingly came out alive, I was reassured that I made the right choice in purchasing this car. After losing this car, I do not have to think twice about buying another Volvo."

Bought Used and am very dissatisfied

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"I bought this car with around 26k mile and now has nearly 87K. I am putting on my second set of tires the last set lasted about 30k. The nav/GPS system is ergonomically unfirendly and hard to use. You blindly have to set it and often push the wrong button and it retracts into the dash. Then you have to restart the process. Now the GPS does not always retract into the dash when shutting off. Have had to jump start car 3 times because of that and replace the battery once. I took out the fuse to stop this problem but then the radio does not work. This time it will cost over $1400 to fix. I am having them just unplug the GPS. Parking sensor went out and will cost $470 to replace. Leaking oil and the vaccum pump seal will be another $247. Remember this only has 87K miles. The seating capacity is falsly advertised. My family is scrunched in it. The third row person's knees hit the middle row seat and the middle row is pushed against the front row. My son is only 5'10" so the 3rd row is really for show only. The radio is somewhat complicated and you have to play with it to understand it. It is a gas guzzler too."

Gas hog. Expensive maintain.

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Very safe and nice ride"

Cons: "Gas hog."

"Purchased car new for wife. Car have had two transmissions replaced by dealer because of known problem. Car is great if you drive and get rid of before the warranty is off as it is expensive to maintain. I would not purchase another one. The car still drives great, but burns too much gasoline if one person is riding in it."

Safe & Sturdy - Poor gas mileage

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Super safe. It's a tank with all wheel drive."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and limited technology."

"It gave us 9 years of safety and was pretty reliable after some initial glitches. The gas mileage is low - 14 to 16 mpg in the city. The technology from this era of Volvo's was behind the competition."

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "Excellent AWD, spacious, surprisingly agile"

Cons: "Disappointing city mpg,lack of BLIS in bad weather"

"Lots of space, handles the snow and pavement and anything in between like a champion. Easy-to-use navigation system. BLIS doesn't usually work in rain or heavy snow, but is helpful at night on the highway. Interior is nothing to write home about, but the leather seats are pretty comfortable."

This car saved our life!

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

Pros: "Safety and quality and reliable"

Cons: "High Maintenance cost"

"We bought this car in 2006 best decision ever made.I am a busy mom with three kids of various ages. We wanted a family sized vehicle and we liked the third row seat option. Love the versatility and style. We never had any serious problems with it so it's very reliable and has the endurance for a busy family.The normal wear has not changed the look of interior and the exterior has no rust or fading. Still drives great after over 140000 miles. The maintenance can be pricey but worth it. The main thing is the fact that we survived a major accident with a three car pile up with the least damage of all cars involved. Can't put a price on my kids, lives so yes I Love this car and will buy another soon."

2007 Volvo XC 90 AWD. A car to fall in love with

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "It has your bells and whistles it just can't yodel"

Cons: "7 qts blend synthetic & change every 7500 miles"

"This dark blue XC90 is awesome and great to drive. A 3.2 6cyl engine is surprisingly powerful and responsive. I have never had an engine or component issue. Tires at least 66%. Leather interior, driver and passenger power seats, they are heated as well, power front and rear windows. 6 disc CD changer, retractable moon roof and heated exterior mirrors with remote adjustment. Front fog lights and an additional fog light to switch on so that you are easier to see to drivers behind you. Rear passenger area also has A/C vents with front and rear controls. Front windshield can sense rain and intensity and adjust itself automatically. Traction control is augmented with adjustment for wet road conditions. Immaculate inside and out. No cuts or tears on leather."

One of the best SUV's i have driven.

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

"VOLVO QUALITY AND SAFETY. SPORTS CAR SPEED AND HANDLING. FOR THE PRICE YOU CAN NOT BEAT THE SAFETY AND RELIABILITY OF THIS VEHICLE. VOLVO SAFETY SPORTS CAR POWER AND SPEED. ACCLERATION IS FANTASTIC AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE LETS YOU HANDLE CORNERS FLAWLESSY."

I have loved this car!!!

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"I can't say enough about this vehicle, no rust on a 10 year old car is amazing to me!! Made to last, performs great, AWD is great in Michigan weather! I would buy another Volvo XC90, but am disappointed that the 2014 interior looks just like my 2004! I would like to see some changes, so it feels like a new car inside and out!"

XC90 Volvo

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

"Have owned this vehicle for about 4 years, purchased new. Owned another Volvo before that (also purchased new). My XC90 (AWD 3.2) was the most comfortable, right size, and had the needed 4WD and other amenities. Extremely good leather seats, not as good as previous Volvo but close. Good visibility, easy controls, comfortable controlled ride, luxury details without a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles. Handles well on open rode and trips, no problems even in heavy winds with lots of semis around. No, it' not the fastest thing out of the gate but it moves just fine and safely through traffic and passing lanes and it rides very smooth and sound. Ok in snow, not great, but using caution no problems...far better than some SUVs I've drive in snow. Center control area could be better designed - however, looking at photos of the new to be future 2015 XC90, Volvo appears to be going in reverse instead of forward with their design ideas (i.e. good use of space )less cabin comforts and overuse of cold unfriendly looking high tech metals. I want a nice safe ride, luxury ad comfort - if I wanted a sport high tech vehicle I'd buy a sports car. They seem to have lost sight of the more basic European luxury wants and needs of their base clientele that may still be looking to buy these vehicles in the future. I don't particularly like the added sporty elements of the 2014 XC90 version but still considering the 2014 because compared to what is out there it still has the most of what I am looking for in the price range and it's been an excellent vehicle thus far. Everything interior/exterior has held up like new. It's a heavy vehicle, you will have to replace tires about 30K or more that is a given. Volvo doesn't make the tires (read tire reviews, most are bad). Gas mileage could be better - of course - but it's higher than posted here. I average 20-21 between city and highway, mostly around town driving which for this size is still not bad. The 3rd row seating is useless to me, never used, always down. This should be optional, and it would reduce the cost for those of us who do not need it too. I don't intend to purchase past 2014 (if I do ) the 2015 looks like an XC60 on slight steroids, is not particularly luxurious for this price range nor well thought out inside either. Volvos have slowly evolved to look like most vehicles out there, not distinctive and not good. Having driven an XC60 too can say it was also not their best effort with a very uncomfortable and useless cramped cabin/ interior and nothing special otherwise. I expect a future XC90's to be a disappointment to many longtime Volvo drivers. Unfortunately, the choices are getting smaller instead of larger for those looking for real European SUV's in this size and price range."

V8 Beware!

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Thank God I had an extended warrantee! Right at 90K the Balance Shaft Bearing blew. It took a month of fighting with the warrantee folks but they finally agreed to replace the engine with a rebuild aftermarket. Volvo said that a new engine would cost $16,500.00. Stay clear of this V8 from 2005 they were made wrong and Volvo decided not to do a re-call. The Balance Shaft Bearing does not get lubed from the engine oil. Aftermarket and engines made 6 months after the first release are fixed, but if you have one of the first models off the rack beware it’s a ticking time bomb!"

2005 AWD 5Cyl Turbo

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Safety, stability, handling, comfort, looks"

Cons: "Tire wear, repair part cost,"

"Test drove this vehicle against all popular SUV's prior to purchase in 2004. XC-90 was a true 7 passenger SUV with excellent handling and adequate power. The vehicle condition is 9/9 inside and out and looks fresh after 9 years. Since new have replaced tires 3x, brakes once, heater core, fuel pump, fuel distributor. The repair costs are comparable for the brand and class. The vehicle has provided excellent service with a level of comfort and safety not experienced with other vehicles. Recent 'check engine' light codes for very minor items are annoying but not serious which may be software issues as opposed to failing components. Would like to purchase a new XC-90 but plan to keep this vehicle for the next 3-5 years."