• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2006 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 421 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

A Ride of Value

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

"I am the original owner of a 2005 XC90 2.5 T with 90000 miles no repairs needed except for general scheduled service. I go to the Volvo dealer at the recommended 7500 mile interval. The rear right door latch was replaced at 35000 miles it would not come out of child lock mode. I average 18 to 22 MPG. The FWD basic loss leader model was a great buy in basic black. The plastic left cover part by seat wore out from entry and exit-a design flaw. When are they going to introduce the hybrid four cylinders that get 40 MPG into the USA or the hybrid diesel? I will look for both when I visit Sweden this summer."

Solid great SUV

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid comfortable and very capable Lux SUV"

Cons: "Price of parts tends to be high..."

"Drives great, good gas mileage for a suv. VERY comfortable seats. Overall, for the money the best lux SUV....."

We love this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Large inside, small outside. Decent gas mileage."

Cons: "Hard to park due to turning radius."

"We have 3 kids so we were looking for something with 3 rows. We decided on the 2004 xc 90 AWD T6. Very roomy. 3rd row is great for kids. We wanted a 3rd row where half of the seat would fold down so that we could use the other half to haul things like luggage or stroller. Decent gas mileage. We average about 17-18 overall. We do wish it had a tighter turning radius. It is a little hard to park. My Lincoln Navigator is easier to park even though it is much bigger. Other than that, we are very pleased with our xc90."

Underpowered but otherwise a winner

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Safty, Quality, Prestige"

Cons: "Handling, Acceleration, Cost of parts"

"The 3.2L engine causes this car to need a lot of RPMs to get up to highway speed in a reasonable amount of time. the other downside to this car is that there are very few sold in the US so parts are very expensive. Right now the car is under warranty but, once the warranty runs out, the cost to own will skyrocket. Another critique is that although probably designed for safety reasons; the turn radius is horrible. I never expect to pull into a parking spot on the first try."

Not flashy, repairs a must, but a fun ride

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Costs less than competitors in market"

Cons: "Lots of repairs, lots"

"My 2003 has 130,000 miles and it's still going on its second transmission (replaced at 65K for @$6,000). I get the oil changed when I need to and make sure to get it serviced when it tells me to. I drive almost 100 miles to and from work, round trip and the XC90 is smooth and comfortable. However, it's starting to show its age. The air freezes up frequently and I've had to make minor repairs a lot more often it seems. Last year the navigation system went kaput and its way too expensive to replace. I don't know if I'd buy one again, but I'd think about it."

I can honestly say I love my car!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

"I enjoy my car so much, I will be purchasing a newer model when the time comes! It's a car to be proud of, a smart investment.... And when it comes to your family, keeping them safe is most important. I believe I chose wisely. I have already had offers from family to purchase it when it becomes available."

I LOVE IT!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "comfy, fast (V8), flashy, safe"

Cons: "gas guzzler (V8)"

"Best SUV yet. Iv'e leased a BMW X5 and had a Caddy Escalade and this one takes the cake. I've had it 2.5 years now and the only real problem was a stuck ignition tumbler. Got the car back in two days, volvo transported to dealer for free. Lots of room, xenon lights and V8 are great. Very comfy seats. I do hear a little noise in the front end but same noise with BMW, as these are very heavy SUVs that are driven aggressively. I have the 20 inch rims and quad tailpipes this SUV smokes most others! Im looking to buy a C70 as my second car."

Solid performance and good ride

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Power, ride, comfort features, good sounds"

Cons: "Steering wheel sits higb and feels awkward"

"The V8 is amazing and power is no problem. The ride is whisper quite and smooth. seating is comfortable and heated. Huge interior space and roof rack make it easy to pack lots of stuff for traveling. 7 seats gives lots of room. driving, yousit high and have good visability. the weight of the vehicle is appartent in the feel--solid and safe. The CD system has great power and great sound"

much more stylish than the BMW alternative

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"This car is built so good, it's safe and reliable, I'm going to get my kid one to drive, once she gets to the driving age. Luxurious, beautiful. The double DVD screens in the rear are worth every penny if you have kids, not a peep comes from them while on the road. :-)"

Best SUV/X-over

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, Stability, Reliability"

Cons: "Tech Features"

"Best SUV/X-over makes me proud and my neighbors envy. Stable, comfortable, reliable, safe, all wheel drive, 3-row 7-seat and yet 17 mpg overall average."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Lots of power, very safe"

Cons: "lack of leg room for 3rd row seat and blind spot"

"Although the 2006 Volvo XC90 didn't come with all the bells and whisles, it is a great SUV. Lots of power and handles well. There is a bit of a blind spot and 3rd row seating has little to no leg room, so is only good for young children, but love my Volvo and can't beat the safety for my family."

A fantastic car!

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Quiet drive, great seats"

Cons: "Acceleration has a hiccup"

"This car is great to haul a bunch of people in comfort. We've done many long trips ( 1K miles each) with 6 and 7 people on board and it was always great. One of the things that always takes people by surprise is how quiet it is. Loud cars or bikes do not interfere with conversation or the radio. The seats are probably the most comfortable I've ever tried: you stay fresh even after driving for several hours. The specific model I have (T6) has a bad reputation but, frankly, I never had any real problem - just normal wear and tear. The only thing I'm not happy with is the transmission: with hard acceleration, the transmission disengages momentarily between 1st and 2nd gear. In my 8 years' ownership, I've spent roughly $3500 in maintenance and repairs. Not bad for a 2nd-year model, $55K european car!"

Junk

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "None"

Cons: "With only 50 characters, I won't attempt to list.."

"Just about every major component of this car has either failed or is on the way to failing. This include the transmission, all 4 wheel bearings, both turbos (seals have failed and causes the car to smoke), front and rear struts needed to be replaced at 80,000 miles ($1400 for parts only) and the list goes on and on. The good news? This Volvo (my 3rd) has caused me to have an "American" only approach to car buying from now on."

Would buy it again.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, stylish"

Cons: "can't think of any!"

"I've had my 2006 XC90 for three years. I bought it as a certified used car with 28K miles on it. It has been a gem. I have two small children and this car is the perfect Mom-mobile. Large enough to haul a couple of extra kids, a ginormous dog, and a load of groceries but small enough to be fairly fuel efficient. My husband recently closed a few deals leaving us with a nice chunk of change and he offered to buy me a new vehicle in the 35-50K price range and I really can't think of a reason to get rid of my XC90. I have the service records from the previous owner and between the two of us we have never had to do anything more than regular maintenence on this vehicle. This is my 3rd Volvo and I am a devoted buyer after our first saved my husband's life. If you are looking for a luxury vehicle that won't cost you an arm and a leg to maintain and will look good for years to come then the XC90 is for you."

Nice Car for the age

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Solid to drive, Not too big but not too small"

Cons: "Wish 6CYL had more pwr; would like more storage"

"We picked up this car as a CPO and have had it for 18 months. It's been a great addition to our family, solid and reliable. I regretted not getting the V8 but with the all bells"

Many mechanical problems which cost a small fortun

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

"Not much more to say"

Super fun family car

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cons: "Use of 3rd row seats leaves small cargo space"

"This SUV drives like a sedan, short turning radius and good gas mileage. I am short, and appreciate all the power adjustments on the drivers seat. We shuttle our three sons friends to lots practices with just enough room for six lacrosse players and their gear bags. We have taken several long road trips in this car and it is quite comfortable. We did not get the built in DVD player or heated seats, and those are two things I would get in my next Volvo. This car is very reliable and I plan on driving it for another 100,000 miles!"

NEVER BUY T6

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Interior/Exterior looks sharp"

Cons: "Not reliable in the least bit."

"Long story short I bought a 05 XC90 T6 with 38,000 miles on it, and a new transmission cd player and steering rack later ($9,500 in total) I only have 41,000 miles on it and getting rid of it as soon as possible. DO NOT BUY"

Love this car

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "very responsive, great on gas, very solid"

Cons: "little bugs to be fixed, repairs are expensive."

"I really love this car. Fully loaded with DVD player, 4wd, 2.5t. So sorry they dont have the turbo on new ones because the car has such good pick up off the line and really surprisingly good on gas (we got 26 mpg on trips). Handles like a car but fits my family (2 kid) so well we dont fly anywhere anymore, just drive on trips. Super comfortable. Feels like a very safe car, very solid and heavy. Only criticism I would have is its pretty involved to work on so dealership really has to do everything including something so simple like changing the brakes. I would highly recommend certified used as we did. The repairs are expensive and being very close to a dealership helps. We let a friend and a relative drive the car for the day as they were shopping SUVs and they both ended up buying the exact same car. This was supposed to be my car but my husband and I battle over who gets to drive it and our other car is an SUV too."

Comfortable Ride, but High Maintenance Costs

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, and handles well"

Cons: "Super high maintenance costs"

"Love the comfortable seats, and quiet comfortable ride. SUV has been reliable in that it has never broken down on the road, and gas mileage averages over 19 mpg combined. Hate the extremely high maintenance costs. I feel lucky when I walk out of the dealer with less than a $300 bill for routine service work. More typically, the dealer finds a problem that ends up costing $1000 plus at each service. Seems that something expensive breaks on this vehicle every 6 months. Very difficult to find qualified mechanics other than the dealership to work on this car. Because of the maintenance costs this is my first and last Volvo. I was warned by a friend that repair costs would eventually eat me alive with a Volvo. Now he just laughs every time I walk away from the dealership with another huge dent in the wallet. My wife drives an Acura SUV with more miles than my Volvo, and she has never had anything done other than routine stuff, and her bill is rarely more than $50 for service. We looked at operation costs and her Acura has cost over $5000 less to maintain over 10 years than the Volvo."

Not comfortable! Lots of bugs!

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Nice driving!"

Cons: "Tons of little problems, lack of space, uncomf."

"This is my 3rd Volvo - currently own this and a XC70 wagon. Our XC90 has the tow package, v8, touring package and dual DVD system. It is decked out! We have the 3rd seat as well. This vehicle is SO uncomfortable. The dash and console are slanted so I can't place my purse or phone anywhere. The console is so low and there are no additional arm rests so there is no where to rest your arms while driving or riding. The 2 air vents in the 2nd row are small and my children get little to no AC in the summer and NO heat at all in the winter - blows cold air period. Have spent tons of "nickel and dimes" fixes on little things - and now it needs a new circuit board (?) for the sound system, the blower motor is surging and stopping, had to replace something in the air filter to stop it from smelling like mold - just tons of little irritating things.Also - very bad blind spots in this one - worse than usual. The good: Excellent pick up and driving. Incredible space in the back when the 3rd seat is down. And a gorgeous vehicle."

DO NOT BUY - Unless you want to buy mine from me!

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Solid car, looks classy"

Cons: "Electrical nightmare! 3rd seat very small"

"Electrical problems from the very first mile. First trip to the dealer was the radio backlight coming on and going off. Sirius Radio constantly loosing signal and hands free not working properly. Dealer replaced the defective hands free and replaced the defective Sirius recieiver. could not duplicate the radio backlight problem so we are living with that isssue. Newest problem driver side window automatically rolls down and when placed up will not stay up. air conditioner smells like vomit. (cabin filter has been replaced with no luck). Battery died after 15,000 miles and 1 year. Dealers in our area are far and few so for each trip to the dealer is 100 miles round trip so getting these warranty issues corrected might be easier if we were closer to a dealer it might not be as frustrating."

Not happy with overall performance and comfort

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"I must have test drove a 8cyl and bought a 6cyl. The pickup leaves a lot to be desired. The all wheel drive does not do its job in the snow. I drove in the snow and was sliding all over the place. There is no room in the back seat if the driver sets his seat back. I would have thought for such an expensive truck that it would have had better pickup and that the all wheel drive sytem would work better than it does. Will trade in this year for a Mercedes E350 or Audi 6."

Love this car

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, safety, and comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I own the 2006 XC90 and love it. I have not had any of the mechanical difficulties that I have seen in the reviews. It's been on 2 cross country road trips and daily commutes on a tough Bay Area freeway. It still looks new, my only complaint is I wish it had better gas mileage; wish Volvo would consider hybrids."

Vehicle lacks in intuiative layout and control

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Well built,"

Cons: "Not intuiative, analog controls, unusual expense."

"Have had unusual maintenance expense; the key cylinder broke and required 3 days of wait time for part to arrive. With labor, parts and car rental this broken key cylinder cost were about $1000. When the cylinder broke the car was difficult to place on a flat bed tow truck then difficult to get off. The Volvo technician had to disconnect the steering cable to get car off the truck. A great deal of inconvenience that we have never experienced before. Very disappointing for a quality built car."