2006 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 443 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

63,000+ and Rolling

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"I love the look; comfort and ride my XC90 T6 provides. Had minor transmission issue at 40k - dealer replaced under warranty. Vehicle had an exceptional amount of service performed for my expectations of the Volvo name but my service dept. is absolutely great. They did everything they could to keep me happy in spite of my vehcile issues (they did not build it, they service it). It pays to purchase an extended warranty the parts and service for this vehicle are ridiculous. Tires: The original Michelins may get about 18k - did that 2x then learned my lesson. Recently purchased Nokian's and they ride and handle just as good or better than the Michelin and they cost less. They also have a better reputation for longevity and for winter driving. Highly recommended by tire "specialists". Safety is important so may have to find a comparable next time because I'm not sure if I would buy another. Why? Because the premium gas is burning a hole in my purse."

Nice, but requires a lot of maintenance!

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"Got my 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD used with 30K miles. Love the way it handles --excellent in snowy or slippery conditions. I have the third row, which has come in very handy for carting kids around. Drawbacks include: need for premium fuel $$, gas mileage, and lots of frequent maintenance. In the last year and a half I've had to replace tires, front brakes, washer pump, etc.. Thankfully, not huge ticket problems, but I'd be lying if I said that I have 100% faith that this car is reliable...or won't give me a headache in the future. It's a beauty to look at and drive -- but be ready to pay for it!"

Volvo XC 90 2.5T AWD

By on Thursday, September 20, 2007

"The Pros...Good fuel economy for an SUV, comfortable ride, etc. The split hatch is fantastic. Safety is top notch. Cons...Tires needed to be replaced at 20k miles and are expensive. Car has been in shop for multiple recalls/repairs. Unsure as to keeping the SUV? Issues with brakes that keep on recurring. Overall... worried post warranty...."

Safe, but unreliable

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"We have owned ours for 3+ yrs. It has been in the shop for everything under the sun (and Volvo has been less than helpful). Needless to say, we have been extremely disappointed. However, we bought the XC90 because of the safety features, and fortunately have never had to use them, but I have seen them in action during my employment as a Trooper. Dump truck blows a stop sign and broadsides a XC90. In any other car, the occupants would have been killed - these folks had only minor injuries. As mad as I am about the reliability, I would buy another - there isn't a safer car on the road."

Volvo XC90 V8 Trivial concerns

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Navigation should be part of a package that people can't live without. Being a $3k option on it's own made me shy away from it and I purchased a unit off the shelf. I'd also like to see multiple options for rear hatch configurations. The split level hatch is nice, but I'd prefer a single unit or one with an electric window similar to the 4Runner. Perhaps having multiple configurations available would make the vehicle more customizeable giving people a more personal feel about their vehicle. Also, the center seats should recline and the rear seats should be on rails also so that they could go back all the way. There are times when I could have 7 people in the car to go to dinner and I won't need the luggage space at all. I would love to see more space made available for passengers. If both center and reat seats could recline and had more distance on their rails it would improve comfort. The room is available, and making that available to passengers would be great! Overall, it is a great vehicle and I have no plans to get rid of it. I enjoy the ease of how the V8 reacts. I have had it full of people and luggage and it reacts as if I'm alone. The auto-leveling suspension eliminates any tail sag from the extra weight. The adaptive steering and gearing is very intuitive to what I'm doing. Shifting at higher RPM's when I'm driving harder makes it react like a big sports car. Especially when you can feel the suspension tighten up and the steering become firm. The 6-speed transmission is effortless and never makes the engine labor when passing. I lived in Germany for the first year I owned it and I did a lot of Autobahn traveling. Even at 90 MPH it does everything effortlessly. Styling is great, as are the amentities within. My only problem was with Navigation. In Europe we could not load the European disc, we were told we'd have to keep it in the computer and use it in "READ-ONLY". But I was told this before-hand which made me not order it. (Good customer service in my book). The drivers seat has me somewhat concerned as I think it could wear out much quicker than I'd expect from an SUV of this price. The outer bolster seems to be softer and not as supportive as it was when we originally drove it home. A little extra support in the front seats regardless wouldn’t hurt my feelings. When I took it in for it's 15k mile service I had 3 rubber boots that had to be put back on. The one around where the turn indicator meets the steering column had come off, as well as two that were under the center seats. That had me questioning the quality at first. They have not given me any troubles since, just sort of an annoyance. A good friend has had a VW Touraeg about the same amount of time and has had numerous troubles with the adjustable suspension in his as well as service lights coming on. This has landed him in a courtesy car for a few weeks. Compared to his troubles, mine have been quite trivial, so I feel that I have a better vehicle, and he agrees with me. Everyone should own one!"

2007 Volvo XC 90 AWD. A car to fall in love with

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "It has your bells and whistles it just can't yodel"

Cons: "7 qts blend synthetic & change every 7500 miles"

"This dark blue XC90 is awesome and great to drive. A 3.2 6cyl engine is surprisingly powerful and responsive. I have never had an engine or component issue. Tires at least 66%. Leather interior, driver and passenger power seats, they are heated as well, power front and rear windows. 6 disc CD changer, retractable moon roof and heated exterior mirrors with remote adjustment. Front fog lights and an additional fog light to switch on so that you are easier to see to drivers behind you. Rear passenger area also has A/C vents with front and rear controls. Front windshield can sense rain and intensity and adjust itself automatically. Traction control is augmented with adjustment for wet road conditions. Immaculate inside and out. No cuts or tears on leather."

Great SUV

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

Pros: "safe, good mpg, rides well"

Cons: "the interior needs a refresh, same since 2006"

"great suv for the family. its smaller but still can hold 7. gets 20mpg consistently. very safe. rides like a car with a little exception on turns because it's so heavy. I do wish they'd update the interior in the new ones. This model is due for a upgrade so you can get the normal technology stuff you can in almost every other SUV on the market. For 2007 is was great."

Not flashy, repairs a must, but a fun ride

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Costs less than competitors in market"

Cons: "Lots of repairs, lots"

"My 2003 has 130,000 miles and it's still going on its second transmission (replaced at 65K for @$6,000). I get the oil changed when I need to and make sure to get it serviced when it tells me to. I drive almost 100 miles to and from work, round trip and the XC90 is smooth and comfortable. However, it's starting to show its age. The air freezes up frequently and I've had to make minor repairs a lot more often it seems. Last year the navigation system went kaput and its way too expensive to replace. I don't know if I'd buy one again, but I'd think about it."

2.5T is a Great SUV

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "Handling, Looks, Safety"

Cons: "Rear Seat Comfort (for over 6 ft), So many around"

"I have a 2004 XC90 2.5T with 94,000 miles. This was my first Volvo and it has made me a life time Volvo buyer. Perfect blend of space,price,luxury, and reliability, not bad gas mileage either. I know the T6 model has transmission issues, but if you get or have the 2.5T you should have no problems. Went from a Lexus to this SUV and am impressed by everything about the XC90 and Volvo brand, including amazing customer service at my local dealership. If you are in the market for one, make sure it's been well taken care of, but if you find a good example, snatch it up."

Fantastic SUV

By on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"My XC90 is my fourth Volvo. I have enjoyed them all, but this one is the best. I have 98,000 miles and it runs like it's new. I have had virtually NO problems, it is a maintenance dream. Drive is tight, interior is luxurious and comfortable. Great SUV, would definitely recommend it."