2004 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 447 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Like it so much getting a new XC-90

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pros: "safety, safety, safety"

Cons: "it is a heavy vehicle on an S-80 frame so mileage is so-so"

"I purchased this car new and followed the maintenance schedule. It has proven to be a safe and reliable family SUV. I got the 5-cyl model which was a proven workhorse of Volvo. It is a shame they dropped that. If you are looking at purchasing a used 2004 XC-90 it is a great car for a growing family. However, make sure that is has been properly serviced."

Love this car

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "very responsive, great on gas, very solid"

Cons: "little bugs to be fixed, repairs are expensive."

"I really love this car. Fully loaded with DVD player, 4wd, 2.5t. So sorry they dont have the turbo on new ones because the car has such good pick up off the line and really surprisingly good on gas (we got 26 mpg on trips). Handles like a car but fits my family (2 kid) so well we dont fly anywhere anymore, just drive on trips. Super comfortable. Feels like a very safe car, very solid and heavy. Only criticism I would have is its pretty involved to work on so dealership really has to do everything including something so simple like changing the brakes. I would highly recommend certified used as we did. The repairs are expensive and being very close to a dealership helps. We let a friend and a relative drive the car for the day as they were shopping SUVs and they both ended up buying the exact same car. This was supposed to be my car but my husband and I battle over who gets to drive it and our other car is an SUV too."

Solid great SUV

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid comfortable and very capable Lux SUV"

Cons: "Price of parts tends to be high..."

"Drives great, good gas mileage for a suv. VERY comfortable seats. Overall, for the money the best lux SUV....."

Reliable But Expensive

By on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Leased the car new in April 2006. Drove it 48 months & 48,000 miles. Car was a good runner. Overall got 14 miles to the gallon for the time I had it... Mostly city driving. Would get up to 26 mpg on the highway. The only downfall was that it was very expensive to maintain... Lots of brake pads. Spent $2400.00 on regular maintenance during the time I had it... It irritated me just enough to not want to buy another Volvo"

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"2005 V-8 XC 90. Surprised by all of the negative reviews. We have had few problems with our Volvo, possibly due to the engine transmission. Brakes and tires were both replaces at apx. 40,000 miles, so no excessive wear. Actually went with another set of OEM tires. They wore out evenly and were only rotated once. For our family this car has been excellent. We take it to Mt. Baker and Whistler skiing whenever we can. It is comfortable for the kids (and with their friends-seats 7) and drives great for us. Snow is never a problem. Unfortunately, like most higher end cars, it depreciates a lot off the initial purchase price. That is the only reason why I did not rate it higher in value. We might end trading up to a newer XC90, but probably won't purchase another new one. As a used car I believe it is an excellent value."

XC90 Pluses and Minuses

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"I've had my 2008 XC90 for two months; bought used 1 year old. Previous vehicle was a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport which I loved. XC90 Minuses that I've discovered: Engine a bit noisy Radio/CD very complicated to use Clock and Temperature not viewable by passenger Not enough interior storage compartments Door lock control is only 1 button which means that you have to press twice Blind spots to the rear Gas hog but I knew that when I bought XC90 Pluses that I've discovered: Good road handling Great sound from the premium radio/CD Great forward view without the hood visibile Comfortable interior Nice styling and features Overall, a good vehicle and many good prices now since buyers are wary of SUVs due to fuel economy concerns. But, if you like SUVs and don't mind the mileage, I recommend the XC90."

Amazing in Snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Buy this Vehicle for your family's safety if you live in the snow or ice. Three blizzards in Colorado, towed our Volvo S60 R to California over 14,000 foot Rockies, after 81,000 miles the car is still going strong. Buy the extended warrentee: many repairs needed cost only $100 per deductable. Two engine mounts, propeller shaft (drive shaft), new rack & Pinion Steering. Gyroscope under driver's seat is amazing and the STC sensors on the wheels. The result: it is impossible to put this car into a skid in snow. . . believe me I tried. The antio skid system puts the right amount of braking and reduced the engine power to straighten out the car! During one of the three Blizzards of 2006/2007 we passed dozens of stranded cars, trucks, and even a police officer stuck at an intersection. Get studless snow tires with ground up Walnut Shells (Blizex) and it stops even on black ice! Amazing. Now we live in California and enjoy sun every day and our 7 month old has plenty of room for her car seat and baby equipment. Bottom line: great car, some repairs needed, but I was surprised to see all of the people's complaints about repairs -- just like humans cars need a little investment. I will go with a Volvo again."

Transmission Failure, Tire burner

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"I own a 2005 Volvo XC90 that I purchased in 2007 and this has not been a inexpensive car to maintain. This is my first Volvo and I've been very disappointed with my purchase. This car goes through tires rapidly and the transmission has just gone out at 89K. This is the first time I've ever had to replace a transmission in any car I've ever owned and I've never would have thought I'd have to replace a transmission for any vechile under 100K. On the plus side it's a confortable car that has a suitable amout of get up and go, however, it's not with the trade off."

Dream Car gone bad

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"This vehicle looks great and the interior appoints are great. Too bad the vehicle does not deliver. It has been nothing but mechanically problems and a dealer network that just does not care nor understand the concept of customer service. Volvo is on par with their parent company Ford."

63,000+ and Rolling

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"I love the look; comfort and ride my XC90 T6 provides. Had minor transmission issue at 40k - dealer replaced under warranty. Vehicle had an exceptional amount of service performed for my expectations of the Volvo name but my service dept. is absolutely great. They did everything they could to keep me happy in spite of my vehcile issues (they did not build it, they service it). It pays to purchase an extended warranty the parts and service for this vehicle are ridiculous. Tires: The original Michelins may get about 18k - did that 2x then learned my lesson. Recently purchased Nokian's and they ride and handle just as good or better than the Michelin and they cost less. They also have a better reputation for longevity and for winter driving. Highly recommended by tire "specialists". Safety is important so may have to find a comparable next time because I'm not sure if I would buy another. Why? Because the premium gas is burning a hole in my purse."