• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2004 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 417 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Good vehicle...eats tires

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable and capable vehicle"

Cons: "Eats tires, also likes to swill gas"

"Great riding car! Took it on a 1,500 trip with my parents in middle row, kids in the third row and me and wife up front...and no one complained about their comfort. Cannot think of another vehicle where I have ever experienced that before and we have had several over the years. The XC90 has never stranded us but a couple of trips to the service bay have set us back some cash. Also, I only get about half of the tread life/wear that tire makers claim with this vehicle. So in summary, if you want a great riding/comfortable car and are O.K. with getting handed the occasional bill for repair and tires then this is the car for you."

VOLVO4LIFE

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Safety, interior quality, built quality, Comfort,"

Cons: "Performance, underpowerd V6"

"This car is as wonderful, safe, and comfortable SUV for your family. It is one of the SAFEST SUVS ever made. If your looking for more performance opt for the 4.4Liter V8 otherwise this car is more than adequate for power. Gas mileage isn't the best but not the worst.. VOLVO FOR LIFE."

Best car very dependable and no major repairs. Ver

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, safe"

Cons: "Lacks a little pep"

"Best car i ever owned. Only brakes and tires changed, amazing!!"

Best car very dependable and no major repairs. Ver

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, safe"

Cons: "Lacks a little pep"

"Best car i ever owned. Only brakes and tires changed, amazing!!"

Wow what a ride!

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "Holds value, fun to drive long distances as well a"

Cons: "No double visors like Tahoe for driver & passenger"

"I am a diehard Tahoe truck lover yet recently purchased a used Xc90...and I am ecstatic. Talk about maneuverable, powerful, comfortable and smooth. I thought I'd have to give up room....not so, the cargo area is huge. This vehicle is a dream to own and drive...much easier on the wallet at the pump too."

Been an awesome car!!!

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "seating, comfortable, well built materials,"

Cons: "gas mileage, expensive maintenance"

"Have only owned the car little over a year now and it has been awesome! Has never left us sitting nor has any major problems. Wheel bearings are a common problem for the xc90 so those needed to be replaced. Love my volvo and would recommend to anyone. I have read terrible review on the xc90 t6 so i went with the xc90 2.5T. Wouldnt trade it for anything!"

What a safe feeling driving my Volvo, Love it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"My XC90 has been an awesome car. Bought it used but have have no mechanical problems with it. The maintenance/tires are a bit expensive and now that I will also have a teen drivning it part time I can't afford what it will cost me in brakes and tires once a year. But all and all I have been extreamly happy with my Volvo. If you have a turbo watch the oil level. My burns extra oil and I have to add a quart between oil changes, there are no leaks or any problems. Many mechanics have assured me that all is good with my car. Runs like a dream!"

Completely smitten over this SUV

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "nice drive, luxury feel, great in snow"

Cons: "pricey to repair"

"I bought this car used, in 2009 with around 58,000 miles on it. It is a 2006. For the price we paid for it, and the amount of wear and tear I have put on it in 4 years, it has been a real trooper. I lived in Kansas City at the time, and my family lived 3 hours away, so it was driven over 400 miles at least once a month, sometimes twice to three times a month. The ride this car will give you if you travel a lot is unbeatable. Every other SUV is subpar to the luxury this car will offer in a road trip. The drive is quiet and smooth, and it is hard to stay under the speed limit because it drives so naturally. It has tons of room, and I can attest to how much stuff you can pack in that car, and still not feel any drag from the weight. Also, if you live in an area that can be hit by heavy snow, this car does great. I was flying by other SUVs in the most recent snow storm we had, and it really eased my mind to feel that safe during a blizzard. My volvo has run into a few problems in the last few years though. For example, my AWD sleeve has gone out TWICE and luckily both times it was covered by my warranty. I also have had to replace my headlights, which each cost 100 dollars. While the car is fantastic, it can become costly fast. I definitely recommend this car, esp. if you travel alot, or have children and want an insanely safe car. It is worth the money you pay for it, but just be willing to pay a little more when things go wrong with it."

Do Not buy this year and model

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "nice looking, comfortable, size and shape"

Cons: "severe mechanical problems"

"I love this car, but is has been nothing but a cash eater since I bought it a few years ago. This particular model and year is known for severe mechanical problems. My engine just burned up inside even though it had just been checked over and we've serviced it well while we have owned it. I'm now stuck with a car that will cost $8k (not to mention the already $4k that was put into it while owning it) to put a new engine in and I am upside down already in the loan. I will make sure that anyone I know considering this year of Volvo will not buy it."

Second XC90, loved my 04 more than the 08

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and mostly quiet"

Cons: "Perelli Tires Junk at 23k miles"

"No problems with the 04--turbo, nice, solid, not a single issue. The 08, I love, but have had noise issues with rattles in the door and popping in the transmission. I like the turbo 5cyl better than the V6, but both are great and have no regrets"

One of the best touring cars on the road

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable road trip car. Fantastic value!"

Cons: "Not enough interior storage, reliability question"

Shot through the trees on a German forest road

"I have owned this car for three years and put just over 41k miles on it. All in all, I think it has been a tremendous value. For what you get per dollar, compared to any competition, the XC90 is hard to beat. I took delivery of this vehicle in Germany (it is US spec) and took it on several family road trips there, with no issues at all. I've had the car here in the states for 2 years I've been very pleased after a number of interstate family trips with five of us and all the luggage, still nice and comfortable as can be. Fuel economy is on par or slightly better for a seven passenger AWD. I've observed 16 city/23 hwy/18 combined, by my calculations, as the computer tends to be about 1-2 mpg on the generous side. Felt engine power and fuel economy did improve noticeably after I got the car properly broken in. Ride comfort is fantastic, with decent handling for a heavy front drive biased SUV. In the snow/Ice/and Mud, the AWD and traction control systems work seamlessly. I feel very good about having my family drive around in the XC90 during inclement weather. Interior noise levels are quite low, on par with the rest of the herd of lux SUV's. Build quality and workmanship seem to be top notch. Nice supple leather seating, although the leather scratches and marks very easily. Interior squeaks and rattles are all but non-existant. The factory Continental tires were garbage and wore out within 25k miles, but the Falken's on it now handle much better and are wearing very well. Maintenance has been a bit high, I think. Had the front wheel bearing assemblies replaced after a long trip after I took it in with complaints of an extreme amount of road noise; I thought the tires were needing rotation badly, but turned out the bearings were on their way out. Also had to have the battery changed out just the other day and needed software updates to fix some entertainment system bugs. All of these issues have been covered 100% under warranty and the included regular scheduled maintenance has been a real time and money saver for me, so I really can't complain. My only concern is the maintenance of the vehicle after the warranty expires."

Shot through the trees on a German forest road

This has been a solid suv

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Great AWD system, comfy seats, exterior design."

Cons: "Uninspiring handling, interior quality, mpgs"

"I purchased this vehicle used. It is my 3rd Volvo. It has been a solid and reliable vehicle. The car is excellent in the snow. It is very comfortable. It has needed very little service. The car averages about 18 mpg combined. It is a bit mushy to drive- not exactly thrilling or engagning, but it wasn't designed to be. I still love the look of these cars even though this is the 10th year of the design. It is one of the few suv's that isn't overly feminine. One thing I'm not thrilled about is the interior build quality. Some of the cabin bits haven't worn well, not as well as the previous Volvos or my Lexus RX. Also, the electronics are really dated. The dash and HVAC design is the same as my 02 S60."

Buy AWD or live in Florida

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Nice size, easy to get to 3rd row seats"

Cons: "Does not handle weather, Rear camera poor"

"2nd Volvo, first had for 7 years XC70. Bought this car in Florida, but ended moving to Ohio for job. FWD only so this car is very poor in weather. Tires are useless in anything but dry pavement. Rear view camera takes 1-2 minutes to pop up and by that time I am usually out of the drive and on my way. Rear camera also resets so often that I never have the lines they raved about that show you where the care is headed. I am sorry that I did not buy the Acura MDX, needed seating for 7"

Great vehivle

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Two days after I purchased this car I left on a 7200 mile trip and it was a pleasure to drive. I would like for it have gotten better fuel orformance, but over all it is a great vehicle."

Very durable 140000 miles and still going strong

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, good fuel economy, safe"

Cons: "Repairs (if needed) are costly, tires"

"Bought our 2004 XC90 2.5 about 5 years ago. Since then only oil changes, a break job (3000$ once all said and done - new calipers, discs and as the parking break was done as well) - other than that no real problems. Some quality issues (DVD system went a year ago, one of the door speakers - tweeters broke off, steering wheel volume,channel control went a few years ago). Tires are a bit of an issue as well (Michelins went in 15000 miles). But we are now looking for another XC90 (2009/10) as my wife does not want any other car. So would I recommend it - YES (but it's a premium vehicle so running cost aren't as low as buying cost for vehicle suggest - see cost of break job). Wonderful fuel economy though (21mpg in mostly short range driving)."

Superb handling, great for hills where it snows

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "Sturdy, outstanding handling, reliable"

Cons: "needs premium gas"

"Shortly after buying it (used)the turbo went out. The previous owner didn't do proper oil changes, not the car's fault. Since then it's been perfect. Handles great on icy roads. Super easy to drive, even for an SUV."

Has been a great vehicle, reliable, minimal maint

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Great vehicle for dress up or dress down"

Cons: "Gets only 24,000 miles on tires of highest quality"

"Reliable, reasonable maintenance costs, nice appearance, sturdy, comfortable on a trip, great storage space out of the weather, and just a great all round vehicle."

The perfect EVERY day SUV for EVERY body!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pros: "All around great SUV"

Cons: "None I can think of"

"I have owned two Volvo XC90's and am so bummed they no longer make the 8 cyl. This car has some major giddy up and go. The car feels safe, drives like a luxury car and has excellent quality and reliability."

Great SUV

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

Pros: "safe, good mpg, rides well"

Cons: "the interior needs a refresh, same since 2006"

"great suv for the family. its smaller but still can hold 7. gets 20mpg consistently. very safe. rides like a car with a little exception on turns because it's so heavy. I do wish they'd update the interior in the new ones. This model is due for a upgrade so you can get the normal technology stuff you can in almost every other SUV on the market. For 2007 is was great."

vary,vary,vary safe

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"vary,vary,vary safe car i love it and its so safe i now its safe becose i was in bad wreck a toyota jf cruiser slammed itue the side of my volvo i was not tucht i love my volvo xc90"

My 12 th vehicle

By on Friday, May 11, 2012

"Truly enjoy driving this car. This was a used, post-lease SUV, 2.5 turbo, 5 cyl, AWD, 7-seater with about 39k miles when I bought it. Now have 90k miles. i commute 70-100 mi a day. Handles very well. Turning radius is not the best but that's tolerable for me. Very comfortable and use it for everything, work, grandkids, occasional car pool, carry horse feed...except what i need my truck to haul. Gets me out of deepest snow and mud (had to replace with good tires, first). Repairs so far- sensor/computer issue cost about $400. Otherwise nave only had regular maintenance, new tires. One peeve is only Volvo dealer can do certain things like turn off a maintenance indicator. Not a big deal but a little irritating. Was rear-ended last week. The pontiac that hit me was a mess. All I had was dust scuffs on the bumper. Since I drive a lot, safety and solid handling are a priority. This car does it for me. Love it."

A Ride of Value

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

"I am the original owner of a 2005 XC90 2.5 T with 90000 miles no repairs needed except for general scheduled service. I go to the Volvo dealer at the recommended 7500 mile interval. The rear right door latch was replaced at 35000 miles it would not come out of child lock mode. I average 18 to 22 MPG. The FWD basic loss leader model was a great buy in basic black. The plastic left cover part by seat wore out from entry and exit-a design flaw. When are they going to introduce the hybrid four cylinders that get 40 MPG into the USA or the hybrid diesel? I will look for both when I visit Sweden this summer."

Solid great SUV

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid comfortable and very capable Lux SUV"

Cons: "Price of parts tends to be high..."

"Drives great, good gas mileage for a suv. VERY comfortable seats. Overall, for the money the best lux SUV....."

We love this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Large inside, small outside. Decent gas mileage."

Cons: "Hard to park due to turning radius."

"We have 3 kids so we were looking for something with 3 rows. We decided on the 2004 xc 90 AWD T6. Very roomy. 3rd row is great for kids. We wanted a 3rd row where half of the seat would fold down so that we could use the other half to haul things like luggage or stroller. Decent gas mileage. We average about 17-18 overall. We do wish it had a tighter turning radius. It is a little hard to park. My Lincoln Navigator is easier to park even though it is much bigger. Other than that, we are very pleased with our xc90."

Underpowered but otherwise a winner

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Safty, Quality, Prestige"

Cons: "Handling, Acceleration, Cost of parts"

"The 3.2L engine causes this car to need a lot of RPMs to get up to highway speed in a reasonable amount of time. the other downside to this car is that there are very few sold in the US so parts are very expensive. Right now the car is under warranty but, once the warranty runs out, the cost to own will skyrocket. Another critique is that although probably designed for safety reasons; the turn radius is horrible. I never expect to pull into a parking spot on the first try."