• 2014 Compact SUVs

2004 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 403 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Very durable 140000 miles and still going strong

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, good fuel economy, safe"

Cons: "Repairs (if needed) are costly, tires"

"Bought our 2004 XC90 2.5 about 5 years ago. Since then only oil changes, a break job (3000$ once all said and done - new calipers, discs and as the parking break was done as well) - other than that no real problems. Some quality issues (DVD system went a year ago, one of the door speakers - tweeters broke off, steering wheel volume,channel control went a few years ago). Tires are a bit of an issue as well (Michelins went in 15000 miles). But we are now looking for another XC90 (2009/10) as my wife does not want any other car. So would I recommend it - YES (but it's a premium vehicle so running cost aren't as low as buying cost for vehicle suggest - see cost of break job). Wonderful fuel economy though (21mpg in mostly short range driving)."

Superb handling, great for hills where it snows

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "Sturdy, outstanding handling, reliable"

Cons: "needs premium gas"

"Shortly after buying it (used)the turbo went out. The previous owner didn't do proper oil changes, not the car's fault. Since then it's been perfect. Handles great on icy roads. Super easy to drive, even for an SUV."

Has been a great vehicle, reliable, minimal maint

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Great vehicle for dress up or dress down"

Cons: "Gets only 24,000 miles on tires of highest quality"

"Reliable, reasonable maintenance costs, nice appearance, sturdy, comfortable on a trip, great storage space out of the weather, and just a great all round vehicle."

The perfect EVERY day SUV for EVERY body!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pros: "All around great SUV"

Cons: "None I can think of"

"I have owned two Volvo XC90's and am so bummed they no longer make the 8 cyl. This car has some major giddy up and go. The car feels safe, drives like a luxury car and has excellent quality and reliability."

Great SUV

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

Pros: "safe, good mpg, rides well"

Cons: "the interior needs a refresh, same since 2006"

"great suv for the family. its smaller but still can hold 7. gets 20mpg consistently. very safe. rides like a car with a little exception on turns because it's so heavy. I do wish they'd update the interior in the new ones. This model is due for a upgrade so you can get the normal technology stuff you can in almost every other SUV on the market. For 2007 is was great."

vary,vary,vary safe

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"vary,vary,vary safe car i love it and its so safe i now its safe becose i was in bad wreck a toyota jf cruiser slammed itue the side of my volvo i was not tucht i love my volvo xc90"

My 12 th vehicle

By on Friday, May 11, 2012

"Truly enjoy driving this car. This was a used, post-lease SUV, 2.5 turbo, 5 cyl, AWD, 7-seater with about 39k miles when I bought it. Now have 90k miles. i commute 70-100 mi a day. Handles very well. Turning radius is not the best but that's tolerable for me. Very comfortable and use it for everything, work, grandkids, occasional car pool, carry horse feed...except what i need my truck to haul. Gets me out of deepest snow and mud (had to replace with good tires, first). Repairs so far- sensor/computer issue cost about $400. Otherwise nave only had regular maintenance, new tires. One peeve is only Volvo dealer can do certain things like turn off a maintenance indicator. Not a big deal but a little irritating. Was rear-ended last week. The pontiac that hit me was a mess. All I had was dust scuffs on the bumper. Since I drive a lot, safety and solid handling are a priority. This car does it for me. Love it."

A Ride of Value

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

"I am the original owner of a 2005 XC90 2.5 T with 90000 miles no repairs needed except for general scheduled service. I go to the Volvo dealer at the recommended 7500 mile interval. The rear right door latch was replaced at 35000 miles it would not come out of child lock mode. I average 18 to 22 MPG. The FWD basic loss leader model was a great buy in basic black. The plastic left cover part by seat wore out from entry and exit-a design flaw. When are they going to introduce the hybrid four cylinders that get 40 MPG into the USA or the hybrid diesel? I will look for both when I visit Sweden this summer."

Solid great SUV

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Solid comfortable and very capable Lux SUV"

Cons: "Price of parts tends to be high..."

"Drives great, good gas mileage for a suv. VERY comfortable seats. Overall, for the money the best lux SUV....."

We love this vehicle.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Large inside, small outside. Decent gas mileage."

Cons: "Hard to park due to turning radius."

"We have 3 kids so we were looking for something with 3 rows. We decided on the 2004 xc 90 AWD T6. Very roomy. 3rd row is great for kids. We wanted a 3rd row where half of the seat would fold down so that we could use the other half to haul things like luggage or stroller. Decent gas mileage. We average about 17-18 overall. We do wish it had a tighter turning radius. It is a little hard to park. My Lincoln Navigator is easier to park even though it is much bigger. Other than that, we are very pleased with our xc90."

Underpowered but otherwise a winner

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Safty, Quality, Prestige"

Cons: "Handling, Acceleration, Cost of parts"

"The 3.2L engine causes this car to need a lot of RPMs to get up to highway speed in a reasonable amount of time. the other downside to this car is that there are very few sold in the US so parts are very expensive. Right now the car is under warranty but, once the warranty runs out, the cost to own will skyrocket. Another critique is that although probably designed for safety reasons; the turn radius is horrible. I never expect to pull into a parking spot on the first try."

Not flashy, repairs a must, but a fun ride

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Costs less than competitors in market"

Cons: "Lots of repairs, lots"

"My 2003 has 130,000 miles and it's still going on its second transmission (replaced at 65K for @$6,000). I get the oil changed when I need to and make sure to get it serviced when it tells me to. I drive almost 100 miles to and from work, round trip and the XC90 is smooth and comfortable. However, it's starting to show its age. The air freezes up frequently and I've had to make minor repairs a lot more often it seems. Last year the navigation system went kaput and its way too expensive to replace. I don't know if I'd buy one again, but I'd think about it."

I can honestly say I love my car!

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

"I enjoy my car so much, I will be purchasing a newer model when the time comes! It's a car to be proud of, a smart investment.... And when it comes to your family, keeping them safe is most important. I believe I chose wisely. I have already had offers from family to purchase it when it becomes available."

I LOVE IT!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "comfy, fast (V8), flashy, safe"

Cons: "gas guzzler (V8)"

"Best SUV yet. Iv'e leased a BMW X5 and had a Caddy Escalade and this one takes the cake. I've had it 2.5 years now and the only real problem was a stuck ignition tumbler. Got the car back in two days, volvo transported to dealer for free. Lots of room, xenon lights and V8 are great. Very comfy seats. I do hear a little noise in the front end but same noise with BMW, as these are very heavy SUVs that are driven aggressively. I have the 20 inch rims and quad tailpipes this SUV smokes most others! Im looking to buy a C70 as my second car."

Solid performance and good ride

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Power, ride, comfort features, good sounds"

Cons: "Steering wheel sits higb and feels awkward"

"The V8 is amazing and power is no problem. The ride is whisper quite and smooth. seating is comfortable and heated. Huge interior space and roof rack make it easy to pack lots of stuff for traveling. 7 seats gives lots of room. driving, yousit high and have good visability. the weight of the vehicle is appartent in the feel--solid and safe. The CD system has great power and great sound"

much more stylish than the BMW alternative

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"This car is built so good, it's safe and reliable, I'm going to get my kid one to drive, once she gets to the driving age. Luxurious, beautiful. The double DVD screens in the rear are worth every penny if you have kids, not a peep comes from them while on the road. :-)"

Best SUV/X-over

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, Stability, Reliability"

Cons: "Tech Features"

"Best SUV/X-over makes me proud and my neighbors envy. Stable, comfortable, reliable, safe, all wheel drive, 3-row 7-seat and yet 17 mpg overall average."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Lots of power, very safe"

Cons: "lack of leg room for 3rd row seat and blind spot"

"Although the 2006 Volvo XC90 didn't come with all the bells and whisles, it is a great SUV. Lots of power and handles well. There is a bit of a blind spot and 3rd row seating has little to no leg room, so is only good for young children, but love my Volvo and can't beat the safety for my family."

A fantastic car!

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Quiet drive, great seats"

Cons: "Acceleration has a hiccup"

"This car is great to haul a bunch of people in comfort. We've done many long trips ( 1K miles each) with 6 and 7 people on board and it was always great. One of the things that always takes people by surprise is how quiet it is. Loud cars or bikes do not interfere with conversation or the radio. The seats are probably the most comfortable I've ever tried: you stay fresh even after driving for several hours. The specific model I have (T6) has a bad reputation but, frankly, I never had any real problem - just normal wear and tear. The only thing I'm not happy with is the transmission: with hard acceleration, the transmission disengages momentarily between 1st and 2nd gear. In my 8 years' ownership, I've spent roughly $3500 in maintenance and repairs. Not bad for a 2nd-year model, $55K european car!"

Junk

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "None"

Cons: "With only 50 characters, I won't attempt to list.."

"Just about every major component of this car has either failed or is on the way to failing. This include the transmission, all 4 wheel bearings, both turbos (seals have failed and causes the car to smoke), front and rear struts needed to be replaced at 80,000 miles ($1400 for parts only) and the list goes on and on. The good news? This Volvo (my 3rd) has caused me to have an "American" only approach to car buying from now on."

Would buy it again.

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, stylish"

Cons: "can't think of any!"

"I've had my 2006 XC90 for three years. I bought it as a certified used car with 28K miles on it. It has been a gem. I have two small children and this car is the perfect Mom-mobile. Large enough to haul a couple of extra kids, a ginormous dog, and a load of groceries but small enough to be fairly fuel efficient. My husband recently closed a few deals leaving us with a nice chunk of change and he offered to buy me a new vehicle in the 35-50K price range and I really can't think of a reason to get rid of my XC90. I have the service records from the previous owner and between the two of us we have never had to do anything more than regular maintenence on this vehicle. This is my 3rd Volvo and I am a devoted buyer after our first saved my husband's life. If you are looking for a luxury vehicle that won't cost you an arm and a leg to maintain and will look good for years to come then the XC90 is for you."

Nice Car for the age

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Solid to drive, Not too big but not too small"

Cons: "Wish 6CYL had more pwr; would like more storage"

"We picked up this car as a CPO and have had it for 18 months. It's been a great addition to our family, solid and reliable. I regretted not getting the V8 but with the all bells"

Many mechanical problems which cost a small fortun

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

"Not much more to say"

Super fun family car

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cons: "Use of 3rd row seats leaves small cargo space"

"This SUV drives like a sedan, short turning radius and good gas mileage. I am short, and appreciate all the power adjustments on the drivers seat. We shuttle our three sons friends to lots practices with just enough room for six lacrosse players and their gear bags. We have taken several long road trips in this car and it is quite comfortable. We did not get the built in DVD player or heated seats, and those are two things I would get in my next Volvo. This car is very reliable and I plan on driving it for another 100,000 miles!"

NEVER BUY T6

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Interior/Exterior looks sharp"

Cons: "Not reliable in the least bit."

"Long story short I bought a 05 XC90 T6 with 38,000 miles on it, and a new transmission cd player and steering rack later ($9,500 in total) I only have 41,000 miles on it and getting rid of it as soon as possible. DO NOT BUY"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25