2003 Volvo XC90

7.7

Based on 443 Ratings for the 2003 - 2014 models.

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"2005 V-8 XC 90. Surprised by all of the negative reviews. We have had few problems with our Volvo, possibly due to the engine transmission. Brakes and tires were both replaces at apx. 40,000 miles, so no excessive wear. Actually went with another set of OEM tires. They wore out evenly and were only rotated once. For our family this car has been excellent. We take it to Mt. Baker and Whistler skiing whenever we can. It is comfortable for the kids (and with their friends-seats 7) and drives great for us. Snow is never a problem. Unfortunately, like most higher end cars, it depreciates a lot off the initial purchase price. That is the only reason why I did not rate it higher in value. We might end trading up to a newer XC90, but probably won't purchase another new one. As a used car I believe it is an excellent value."

XC90 Pluses and Minuses

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"I've had my 2008 XC90 for two months; bought used 1 year old. Previous vehicle was a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport which I loved. XC90 Minuses that I've discovered: Engine a bit noisy Radio/CD very complicated to use Clock and Temperature not viewable by passenger Not enough interior storage compartments Door lock control is only 1 button which means that you have to press twice Blind spots to the rear Gas hog but I knew that when I bought XC90 Pluses that I've discovered: Good road handling Great sound from the premium radio/CD Great forward view without the hood visibile Comfortable interior Nice styling and features Overall, a good vehicle and many good prices now since buyers are wary of SUVs due to fuel economy concerns. But, if you like SUVs and don't mind the mileage, I recommend the XC90."

Transmission Failure, Tire burner

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"I own a 2005 Volvo XC90 that I purchased in 2007 and this has not been a inexpensive car to maintain. This is my first Volvo and I've been very disappointed with my purchase. This car goes through tires rapidly and the transmission has just gone out at 89K. This is the first time I've ever had to replace a transmission in any car I've ever owned and I've never would have thought I'd have to replace a transmission for any vechile under 100K. On the plus side it's a confortable car that has a suitable amout of get up and go, however, it's not with the trade off."

2005-XC90

By on Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Bought the car used with 59k, not even ten months later with 73k on it, the transmission is slipping badly and I just had the transmission serviced for over $300! To have a car payment plus looking at a potential $5k bill for a transmission, they can have it back! I agree with others, LEMON< LEMON"

Amazing in Snow

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Buy this Vehicle for your family's safety if you live in the snow or ice. Three blizzards in Colorado, towed our Volvo S60 R to California over 14,000 foot Rockies, after 81,000 miles the car is still going strong. Buy the extended warrentee: many repairs needed cost only $100 per deductable. Two engine mounts, propeller shaft (drive shaft), new rack & Pinion Steering. Gyroscope under driver's seat is amazing and the STC sensors on the wheels. The result: it is impossible to put this car into a skid in snow. . . believe me I tried. The antio skid system puts the right amount of braking and reduced the engine power to straighten out the car! During one of the three Blizzards of 2006/2007 we passed dozens of stranded cars, trucks, and even a police officer stuck at an intersection. Get studless snow tires with ground up Walnut Shells (Blizex) and it stops even on black ice! Amazing. Now we live in California and enjoy sun every day and our 7 month old has plenty of room for her car seat and baby equipment. Bottom line: great car, some repairs needed, but I was surprised to see all of the people's complaints about repairs -- just like humans cars need a little investment. I will go with a Volvo again."

Dream Car gone bad

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"This vehicle looks great and the interior appoints are great. Too bad the vehicle does not deliver. It has been nothing but mechanically problems and a dealer network that just does not care nor understand the concept of customer service. Volvo is on par with their parent company Ford."

108,000 MILES OF DREAD

By on Friday, September 28, 2007

"108,000 MILES ON XC90. THREE SETS OF REAR BEARINGS, MOTOR MOUNTS REPLACED. 4 SETS OF TIRES. THIS IS NOT A GOOD ENTRY INTO THE SUV MARKET BY VOLVO. SAFETY IS GREAT BUT WHAT GOOD IS IT WHEN THE VEHICLE IS IN THE SHOP. WHEN THE MESSAGE LIGHT COMES ON IT SHOWS DOLLAR SIGNS INSTEAD OF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. $-FOR INEXPENSIVE ($500), $$-FOR UP TO $1,000, AND $$$ FOR EVERYTHING ABOVE. MY $$$ IS BURNED OUT FOR BEING ON SO LONG."

Nice, but...

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"I bought this car because it was a great lease deal at the right time. After test driving it, I loved the powerful engine, and the seats were very comfortable. My 6 & 4 year old loved the "televisons" mounted in the front seat headrestraints. After owning the car for 13 months on a 2 year lease, I am looking to get out of the lease. Reliabiity stinks. The car goes in the shop for many minor issues. Ball bearings, windshield wipers, etc. My local dealer only has a loaner avialable every 3 weeks. Standard 15k service is $150. Of much more import, is the horrible blind spots in this SUV. I have owned other SUV's and cars and this is by far the worst. My wife refused to drive it with our kids in it, and at least once per week I cut someone off or almost get t-boned because you cannot see other cars. Other issues are smaller, but should not be there for a $55,000 SUV. No sunglasses holder? Come on. No satellite radio. No iPod input. The DVD is nice, but you cannot control the DVD from the navigation screen and are forced to twist and turn while driving to help your children. No voice interaction with the navigation and no bluetooth. Honestly, the car reminds me of my GMC Envoy, 2003, but it is $20,000 more. Nice, but not worth it."

Reliable But Expensive

By on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Leased the car new in April 2006. Drove it 48 months & 48,000 miles. Car was a good runner. Overall got 14 miles to the gallon for the time I had it... Mostly city driving. Would get up to 26 mpg on the highway. The only downfall was that it was very expensive to maintain... Lots of brake pads. Spent $2400.00 on regular maintenance during the time I had it... It irritated me just enough to not want to buy another Volvo"

worst car ever

By on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Bought the car brand new. Loved it at first. Had to replace the transmission right after the warranty expired. Now it needs a new steering rack, brake column, and major computer problems. $4000 in repairs on top of what I have already spent. I have never had a car with this many problems and have never had to have a car towed. I thought Volvos were suppose to last. Good bye Volvo, I will never own another one."