2014 Volvo XC70 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $31,181 - $32,840.

10/7.0

Based on 50 Ratings for the 2008 - 2016 models.

Significant reliability issues

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Lots of great features, very comfortable"

Cons: "Software glitch that they cannot fix"

"Have had the car for only 4 months and have had it in the shop 5 times already. Some minor issues, but the recurring major issue is that the "low oil" light comes on every few thousand miles. Generally the oil is fine, and they have upgraded the software twice, soon to be three times as the car is having the issue as I write this. But as there doesn't seem to be a fix, you basically have to allow an extra 20 minutes to get anywhere in case you have to stop and check the oil. Or alternatively, you essentially lose your low oil warning feature because you ignore it and continue driving (at the risk that this time the oil is actually low). Having this reliability issue at this price point is inconceivable."

Drove them all

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I was looking for a new car because my xc70 2002 had a lot of miles on it so I started driving everything. I thought I would get a SUV or Crossover (something bigger). After driving everything and not liking any of the SUV's I went back and drove the new xc70 2008. Loved it. Everything that I was looking for in a new car. All the interior upgrades were better then the Mercedes and BMW's I drove. Great Job VOLVO! Handles Great! More interior room than the older xc70's. My 6'2" husband fits and with the built in booster seats my daughter is very comfy! I love my car."

Great car - expensive

By on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"This is our 3rd XC70 - 2000SE, 2004 XC70 and this 2008 XC70. I like this one best. The 04 seemed to have better performance (sort of, it did have a turbo). This on is sluggish on the freeway onramps and passing, BUT if you use high octane fuel it performs MUCH better and even gets 2 mpg better! Have not worked the calculator on that one, we just use the cheap stuff 99% of the time. LIKES: Keyless entry, fold up mirrors when you lock the doors, power tailgate, fantastic upgraded stereo (although my BMW logic 7 will blow this one's doors off), super leather seating, each seat is comfortable, confident driving feel, superb safety features (like the sensor that tells you an accident is eminent and brakes, lights up the lower windshield and beeps like an airplane), this is a BIG car - like driving my Dad's '72 Cadillac - only with that tight European feel, distinctive look inside and out, a winner! DISLIKES: No bluetooth (really?), sometimes the power mirrors don't open up when you open a door other than the drivers door or do not use the keyfob to unlock the car, 16mpg city and 21mpg highway (Mr. leadfoot I am), optimistic outside thermometer (reads 118 on a 95 degree day at start up), makes funny whiring sounds sometimes - the power rear liftgate seems to strain to open and close, the auto a/c makes silly sounds while adjusting vents, etc. and a whinny sound at a cold startup. Lastly, I bought a full service plan for 36 months at $600 - RIP OFF ... I would buy this car again, my wife LOVES it, kids are rough on it, dog (70lb) loves the "head out the window" routine ... great piece of machinery, at 3 years it cleans up great and looks nearly new after a car wash."

Even better than my 2005 XC70

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Everything is better in my 2008 XC70. Very quiet,smooth ride,luxurious interior,more stylish exterior,great options (Blind Spot Info Sysytem, folding outside mirrors, keyless entry and starting, self closing tailgate, great sound system, Active Bi-Xenon headlights, and more...). My wife loved her 2005 XC70, but she's even happier with her 2008 XC70. It rides better and handles better than the SUVs we tried, including the Acura MDX and all the others. It has the refinement of a car with the utility of an SUV. It's one of a kind and stands above the other choices."

Great car, if you're not in a hurry

By on Sunday, May 24, 2009

"This is my first Volvo (I'm a long-time BMW owner) and find it to be a very comfortable, quiet, solid, ruggedly attractive vehicle. It has been completely reliable for the first 22,000 miles so far. My only complaint is that the 3.2 liter normally aspirated engine is overwhelmed by this vehicle's weight (over 5,000 lbs). This vehicle is as heavy as an SUV, it's slow and the engine is buzzy during acceleration. I have to plan merges into highway traffic carefully. I've driven the turbo XC70 and there is a huge difference. This will be a great vehicle for anyone who places a premium on luxury/safety and whose driving doesn't require merging frequently onto congested highways."