2008 Volvo XC70

Based on 50 Ratings for the 2008 - 2016 models.

Safe Quiet Ride

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

"I bought our Volvo last January used with 12,000 miles for $27,000. Great in the snow of Minneapolis. I average 21 MPG in mixed driving. and have gotten 27MPG on a road trip. The seats are very wide and comfortable. No added expenses for repairs in my 12,000 miles of use. Good value used, too high priced new!"

Love My Volvo

By on Saturday, April 11, 2009

"This is the 4th Volvo we have owned. It took some getting use to as it was not as responsive as my V70 turbo. But now I just love this car. It could use a little more leg room in the back seat but other than that the features will quickly spoil you for any other vehicle. There's nothing like a VOLVO!"

By on Saturday, August 08, 2009

"Our third Volvo, second XC70, and definately a great automobile."

Best car I've owned

By on Monday, August 08, 2011

Pros: "power, mpg, comfort"

Cons: "nav and back up camera screen poorly designed"

"fast car, decent mpg, rear booster seats are awesome idea/design pop up nav/rear camera screen is poorly designed with warning message that blocks view. the camera also takes forever to come up."

Not your parent's station wagon, LOVE it!

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "price, style, safety, interior room, rims, power"

Cons: "slightly heavy vs normal cars, but good for safety"

"This car has everything a family could ever need in a car. Style, safety, convenience, plenty of cabin room, and plenty of trunk loading capacity for groceries to satisfy MOM. Sporty, power, all-wheel drive for weather and camping, lots of technology, 19" rims, full size spare, plenty of trunk loading space for packing trips to make DAD smile. Plenty of cabin room, built-in lifting booster seats, high outdoor visibility, plenty of trunk capacity for toys to handle the kids on any drive. Easy on budget based on sale price and 60k miles/5yr bumper-bumper warranty/full service package. We plan to own it for at least ten years. We would highly recommend this vehicle if you are cool parents looking for a family car that has more style/sport than a mini-van, more power/handling than a crossover, and more family/mom friendly than an SUV."

Significant reliability issues

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Lots of great features, very comfortable"

Cons: "Software glitch that they cannot fix"

"Have had the car for only 4 months and have had it in the shop 5 times already. Some minor issues, but the recurring major issue is that the "low oil" light comes on every few thousand miles. Generally the oil is fine, and they have upgraded the software twice, soon to be three times as the car is having the issue as I write this. But as there doesn't seem to be a fix, you basically have to allow an extra 20 minutes to get anywhere in case you have to stop and check the oil. Or alternatively, you essentially lose your low oil warning feature because you ignore it and continue driving (at the risk that this time the oil is actually low). Having this reliability issue at this price point is inconceivable."

Drove them all

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I was looking for a new car because my xc70 2002 had a lot of miles on it so I started driving everything. I thought I would get a SUV or Crossover (something bigger). After driving everything and not liking any of the SUV's I went back and drove the new xc70 2008. Loved it. Everything that I was looking for in a new car. All the interior upgrades were better then the Mercedes and BMW's I drove. Great Job VOLVO! Handles Great! More interior room than the older xc70's. My 6'2" husband fits and with the built in booster seats my daughter is very comfy! I love my car."

Great car - expensive

By on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"This is our 3rd XC70 - 2000SE, 2004 XC70 and this 2008 XC70. I like this one best. The 04 seemed to have better performance (sort of, it did have a turbo). This on is sluggish on the freeway onramps and passing, BUT if you use high octane fuel it performs MUCH better and even gets 2 mpg better! Have not worked the calculator on that one, we just use the cheap stuff 99% of the time. LIKES: Keyless entry, fold up mirrors when you lock the doors, power tailgate, fantastic upgraded stereo (although my BMW logic 7 will blow this one's doors off), super leather seating, each seat is comfortable, confident driving feel, superb safety features (like the sensor that tells you an accident is eminent and brakes, lights up the lower windshield and beeps like an airplane), this is a BIG car - like driving my Dad's '72 Cadillac - only with that tight European feel, distinctive look inside and out, a winner! DISLIKES: No bluetooth (really?), sometimes the power mirrors don't open up when you open a door other than the drivers door or do not use the keyfob to unlock the car, 16mpg city and 21mpg highway (Mr. leadfoot I am), optimistic outside thermometer (reads 118 on a 95 degree day at start up), makes funny whiring sounds sometimes - the power rear liftgate seems to strain to open and close, the auto a/c makes silly sounds while adjusting vents, etc. and a whinny sound at a cold startup. Lastly, I bought a full service plan for 36 months at $600 - RIP OFF ... I would buy this car again, my wife LOVES it, kids are rough on it, dog (70lb) loves the "head out the window" routine ... great piece of machinery, at 3 years it cleans up great and looks nearly new after a car wash."

Even better than my 2005 XC70

By on Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Everything is better in my 2008 XC70. Very quiet,smooth ride,luxurious interior,more stylish exterior,great options (Blind Spot Info Sysytem, folding outside mirrors, keyless entry and starting, self closing tailgate, great sound system, Active Bi-Xenon headlights, and more...). My wife loved her 2005 XC70, but she's even happier with her 2008 XC70. It rides better and handles better than the SUVs we tried, including the Acura MDX and all the others. It has the refinement of a car with the utility of an SUV. It's one of a kind and stands above the other choices."

Great car, if you're not in a hurry

By on Sunday, May 24, 2009

"This is my first Volvo (I'm a long-time BMW owner) and find it to be a very comfortable, quiet, solid, ruggedly attractive vehicle. It has been completely reliable for the first 22,000 miles so far. My only complaint is that the 3.2 liter normally aspirated engine is overwhelmed by this vehicle's weight (over 5,000 lbs). This vehicle is as heavy as an SUV, it's slow and the engine is buzzy during acceleration. I have to plan merges into highway traffic carefully. I've driven the turbo XC70 and there is a huge difference. This will be a great vehicle for anyone who places a premium on luxury/safety and whose driving doesn't require merging frequently onto congested highways."