2006 Volvo XC70

Based on 135 Ratings for the 2003 - 2007 models.

Super Ski Wagon

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

"They just keep making them better. I really liked my 01 X/C, but my 06 is even better. The safety features are superior to any vehicle in its class. Load it up and it will take you to the mountains for skiing without any problems. It is comfortable with room for all your gear."

I love this car!

By on Thursday, June 12, 2008

"We ordered this car without even test-driving one (this is our fourth Volvo wagon) and picked it up at the factory. I love this car so much that I'm having a very difficult time parting with it now that the mileage is getting rather high. It's been a great car although at around 100,000 miles we did have to replace the transmission and drive line. Both very expensive repairs! I still love this car though.....hate our dealership, but love the car!!"

XC 70

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"I have had the car for around a year and have to say that I do not have one complaint. the car handles great in snow, rain etc. Very comfortable the trunk space is big!"

love this car

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"this is my second XC70. My first was a 2001 and I just loved the handling and safety for my family. I thought I needed the extra seating so I traded it for a 2006 XC90. I just hated the XC90, didn't feel as well built as the XC70. I traded back to a XC70 3 months after having the XC90. I just hated that car. I am happy once again in my XC70. I just bougth a 98 S70 for my daughter and am confident it will keep her safe."

alaska

By on Friday, February 8, 2008

"This is car is a tank, handles great in snow and ice."

Why do I keep buying these?

By on Saturday, January 26, 2008

"This is my seventh Volvo in a span of 25 years. Although the first few... a 142, 144, 164 were just for cheap transportation post military and going to college, the rest: a 740GL, 940T sedan, 940T wagon, and now, a XC70 have been for family and lots of miles traveled. 740-100,000+ [bored of it and traded it, solid and reliable], 940T-230,000+ [so far the best car, very little maintenance], 940T wagon-100,000+ [never satisfied and more repairs] Now of course all these cars were used and the actual miles were much higher per vehicle upon donation; I only posted what I drove during ownership. The XC70 although 1 year old when purchased with 16,000 miles, is still like a brand new car. Comfortable, super-safe, so-far reliable...a light year ahead of what I've owned; of course I no longer drive the Volvo, it's my wife's new ride. Some things DO change. I never did tell you why I keep buying them... I just do."

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

Great car...purchased new in 04 & not selling it

By on Saturday, August 3, 2013

Pros: "Winter driving and hauling"

Cons: "Ugly soccer moms check you out"

"I use this wagon like most people use trucks. I am a single guy with no kids and love my wagon. I have over 135 000 miles on it and have put next to nothing into it. I have hauled two large dog into Canada numerous times, transported a dingy from one end of the Chesapeake to the other, dock boxes 1000 lbs of sails and equipment from Daytona to Baltimore all without a problem and she still drives like the day I drove it off the lot. And she will smoke most other cars off the line and when most people are unable to get through 1 to 2 feet of snow I can still make the seed limit"

2004 much better than previous except 850

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Safe!!Safe!!Safe!! 27mpg"

Cons: "cupholder plastics break -wish it had an ipod adap"

"This car was garage kept and serviced. I would recommend any volvo owner to change the transmission fluid at dealer and do it every 40000 or so for reliability. The previous xc 70 had saved our lives when someone rearended us on the highway doing over 90 mph...we were going 65 and the traction system engage and we were able to pull over safely. If we were in the toyota we would possibly have flipped and may not be here today. So having put 1500.00 in "routine" service I can not put a value on life. This car has great steel construction that is built for such an impact."

A workhorse

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Ok, it's my wife's car but I take care of it and I use it to pick up supplies from the garden center and hardware store. We're going on 5 years with our 2004 XC-70 and in a nutshell it's a great car to own if you can only have one car in the garage. Drives like a sedan (an AWD S60 of course), decent mileage (21 mpg), decent pick up, great sense of safety, great residual value, and of course versitility in hauling stuff. Why anyone would drive an SUV/crossover when you can drive an AWD wagon is beyond my reasoning. This is our 2nd Volvo after a 98 S70 and I see no reason why a 3rd isn't in our future. If you think the XC70 seats are comfortable, they're nothing next to those in that S70. Volvo does seats right people. Why can't others? Make no mistake however, it's no sport sedan and I know because I keep those for myself. Other downsides: the stock Pirelli tires which you have to get get chewed up, brakes go fast likely due to the heavier weight of AWD, and the interior is now behind the times for a luxury brand. Still, I'd have a tough time trading this one in for a new one as I don't see enough difference with the new 2008. After a few more years however..."

All around awesome all road vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"I have owned Volvo's for 40+ years, and the XC 70 is the best of the bunch! Wonderful roadability, exceptional dependability,easy to maintain, and quality throughout. Still going strong at 200k miles (she's just getting her second wind)!"

Best Dog Car

By on Thursday, June 4, 2009

"I Googled "best car for dogs" and up came the XC70 and XC90. I didn't like the look of the XC90 so went with the wagon. I now imagine having a Volvo wagon as our dog wagon for life. The Volvo accessories are great - dog doors, dividers, tailored waterproof floor and trunk mats. Dogs also appreciate the softer ride. They barfed all the time in our ML55! I thought I would miss my Mercedes but once I upgraded the stereo to get Bluetooth, XM and nav, I had myself the perfect vehicle for a multi-dog family. MPG could be better and a bit more oomph would be nice, but the raised ride height in wet weather and all wheel drive is great. Brakes are probably the only real weak point."

Sturdy, comfortable, reliable vehicle

By on Monday, April 1, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe, and solid, luxury feel"

Cons: "A little expensive"

"This Volvo was extremely comfortable and easy to drive for someone who never felt at ease driving a larger car. The feel of the interior is very luxurious, and it is an excellent car in every way. Most importantly, I recently lost my Volvo after we were hit by a driver going at least 80 miles an hour, but everyone in our car walked away unharmed. The area that was hit was completely destroyed, but the side airbag and the solidity of the car probably saved our lives. It was definitely the best car I've owned, and I will be looking for another just like it!"

Lots of Good.. just a few "not so".

By on Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, powerful"

Cons: "More than expected tire wear. Dealer parts are VERY expensive."

"Definitely happy with this car, with a few exceptions you should be aware of. Be prepared to do a bit of extra-curricular parts hunting to avoid dealer's exorbitant pricing. Cases in point: HID ballast resitors, HID bulbs"

Multipurpose

By on Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"Drove for 4 straight hours without ever moving neck/back. Most comfortable seats on the market. Gettitng 27mpg highway and 19city on REGULAR GAS! Unbelievable cargo capacity (more than most SUV's). We put a queen sized air mattresess is back and camped in the car overnight. Great for hauling baby/dog stuff everywhere. Great handling in the snow/rain and comparable 0-60 times to the Audi allroad. Bought as a CPO vehicle and have had 0 problems. Looks great while driving through the snow or pulling up to an expensive restaraunt. The true multipurpose vehicle. Hope it runs for 10 more years. Check out the offroad test in Motor Trend too... it beat out the V6 Tourag, BMW X5, and the audi allroad in offroad capability). In fact the X5 didn't even finish the test!"

Disappointed

By on Saturday, December 6, 2008

"I bought this vehicle for my wife as a special gift, since it was always one of her dream cars. In 40,000 miles, it has been in and out of the shop about 8 times for a variety of problems such as: leaks, suspension component replacement, broken window regulator, and a failed power steering pump. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty. Because of the reliability issues, we're going to sell this car before the warranty is up. My wife is heartbroken. I wouldn't recommend the Volvo to anyone, unless you don't mind shelling out thousands a year in repairs on what should be a top quality vehicle."

I've owned four of these

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"2 white ones, 1 brown one, and currently own a maroon one. This vehicle takes the C out of compromise. I've had back problems for years and this vehicle is the only one I can drive for thousands of miles and not get out sore. Yet, I never get stuck in the snow, and I ski a lot and am in snowy conditions all the time. The ground clearance is substancial and gives me the confidance to go on dirt, rough roads, or just pull up to the curb without scraping anything. This car just works, I put in the key, turn, and I'm off. Be aware however that taking this vehicle into the dealer for routine maintiance is expensive. Try and find a local independent shop and you'll save. This car is not for driving-entheusasts, actually it's boring. But, if your purpose is utility, confort, safety, and reliability then buy one. :)"

Love my volvo XC70!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, solid and safe but has pick up!"

Cons: "console is a bit awkward to reach"

"This car is a dream to drive and I have not had any issues with it. Great in snow, awesome turbo when you need it for the mountain passes or to scoot out of the way. Very comfortable and smooth on road. Great car for Colorado weather!"

Value for the Money

By on Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cons: "Driver seat split but Colorado sun is hard"

"I just love my Volvo and will never own any thing else for a passenger car. I have owned 20+ cars in my lifetime...everything from a huge HD pickup, sports cars, cheap cars, mid size passenger vehicles, domestic and foreign, you name it. BUT this is the longest I've owned a vehicle and its not due to the economy. Fantastic engine - pickup to pass when you need it on two lane winding mountain roads, security - you and your family are safe in this heavy safety cage vehicle, comfortable - short trip or cross country I never have any comfort issues, good on gas. Excellent cup holders. Repairs are pricey at Volvo dealers but you can find other repair shops but watch what the products they install..especially brakes...you want to keep your good quality parts...I've replaced both brakes, radiator, spark plugs, flushed radiator, etc. but at 110K miles in hard conditions of the Rockies, what car would not need these repairs? I highly recommend my XC70 basic model...I did not pay the the high end package."

really great car

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

"This is a very comfortable and safe wagon. I am 6'2", 225lbs and I'm very comforatble in these seats. I average 28 miles per gallon on the highway and 25 in town. Really had no problems with this car. I service the oil every 3500 miles and perform the major Volvo service only at 60,000 95,000 and now with 133,000. I'll have a hard time replacing it when the time comes."

By on Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Am enjoying my XC70 as much four years after purchase as the day I bought it. Mechanically outstanding. Handling on highway clear snow or ice is unbelievable. When family needs to travel on winter evenings this is the choice. Positive handling at all speeds. Pulls the largest Uhaul trailer. A real workhorse! However, all family and guests compliment the comfort of the seats, whether front or back. Will keep for another six years at least. The best vehicle I have had in 45 years of driving, which includes other Volvos, Mercedes, Cadillacs, Fords, Buicks and Pontiacs."

Style over Substance

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"We wanted a somewhat stylish vehicle alternative to the practical minivan. The XC70 had it all: a third row for the carpools, AWD for skiing and camping trips, built in booster seats - and the Volvo reputation for reliability and longevity. What could go wrong? - How about at least one significant ($1k or more) problem with the vehicle per year? Problems w/ the tranmission, vehicle locks, vehicle latches, etc. To Volvo's credit, none of the problems has left us stranded on the side of the road, but we visit the service center more often than we should - and we pay for it each time. [For $40k, I expect reliability, this car is disappointing.] - The ownership cost is excessive, as a result. Regular service alone is relatively expensive already. - But, for a family wagon, it's stylish and it handles well in the snow. - We're getting a Sienna - anyone interested in a XC 70?"

Trade our 4th Volvo wagon for one at the factory.

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pros: "Best station wagon made."

Cons: "No diesel engine option for the US."

Picking up a San Juan 21 in Kansas to sail back on the Chesapeake Bay.

"Our fourth Volvo wagon is eleven years old and we're looking forward to a trip to Gothenburg to get the latest XC70 T6 and enjoy a vacation in Europe. This is our favorite wagon to accomodate two grandsons with their own booster seats, to hoist our canoe onto roof racks lower than any SUV's and to install a factory trailer hitch for various trailers, not to mention safety and the world's best seats."

Picking up a San Juan 21 in Kansas to sail back on the Chesapeake Bay.

very safe car

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"very comfortable on trips,awd went out at 70,000 miles. new radiator at 50,000 miles. like car but just to many problem."

Love this car!! Never want to give it up!

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive; comfortable; reliable; feel safe;"

"Bought this car as a dealer demo car and have loved it from first sight and drive. We have never had any problems with this car and we drive quite a bit. I usually get "tired" of a vehicle after 2-3 years, but not this car!"