2006 Volvo XC70

Based on 133 Ratings for the 2003 - 2007 models.

Love this car!! Never want to give it up!

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive; comfortable; reliable; feel safe;"

"Bought this car as a dealer demo car and have loved it from first sight and drive. We have never had any problems with this car and we drive quite a bit. I usually get "tired" of a vehicle after 2-3 years, but not this car!"

Great Family Car - Comfy, Reliable and Safe

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, reliable, comfy"

Cons: "Light bulbs come loose, giving warning lights"

"We've had our 2004 Volvo XC70 for about 5 years. It's been a great car! We bought it used (it was a corporate leased car before we owned it), no major problem at all in the time we've owned it. The biggest expense we've come up against is new tires. You apparently should get the Pirellie (sp) tires for this car, which are expensive ($300 a tire). Other than that, this car is great on fuel, the heated seats are great (they heat your bum and your back), good pick up, easy to drive. Highly recommended!!"

Bought Before 08 Change

By on Sunday, December 02, 2007

"Saw previews of 08 and just had to buy the last of the 07. XC70 for 08 is "pansy girly-car" while the 07 still retains its' "hostile and aggressive ... get out of my way car" attitude. Besides, end-of-model dealer rebate lowered the price to where I could not resist. This is my 11th Volvo in 30 years. Kids still have 3 of my older models, each w/over 100K [245 has 200K + and still w/o any major work]. Other 2 still running w/o any major work. Gotta say Volvo did make good cars ... too bad FORD got their hands into the mix! My next new car will probably NOT be a Volvo due to Ford's gimmericky!"

Style over Substance

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"We wanted a somewhat stylish vehicle alternative to the practical minivan. The XC70 had it all: a third row for the carpools, AWD for skiing and camping trips, built in booster seats - and the Volvo reputation for reliability and longevity. What could go wrong? - How about at least one significant ($1k or more) problem with the vehicle per year? Problems w/ the tranmission, vehicle locks, vehicle latches, etc. To Volvo's credit, none of the problems has left us stranded on the side of the road, but we visit the service center more often than we should - and we pay for it each time. [For $40k, I expect reliability, this car is disappointing.] - The ownership cost is excessive, as a result. Regular service alone is relatively expensive already. - But, for a family wagon, it's stylish and it handles well in the snow. - We're getting a Sienna - anyone interested in a XC 70?"

Best One Yet...2007 CX70

By on Thursday, May 17, 2007

"There is nothing I would add or subtract from this car. It arrived as ordered and it has given me no issues to deal with. It is great for multiple dogs and I don't miss the sedan at all! I took most of the options and love them. This is my third Volvo and I love these cars. The only reason I have ever traded my Volvos was for changes in my life which required a different type of transportation. I also love my dealer and my mechanic - I travel 30 minutes to get to them, sadly I can't say that about my in town dealer. I would highly recommend this car for the person who wants a work horse with minimum cost of upkeep."

Great ride

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "lots of room, great quality"

Cons: "little higher than expected road noise"

"great build quality"

very safe car

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

"very comfortable on trips,awd went out at 70,000 miles. new radiator at 50,000 miles. like car but just to many problem."

I love this car.

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "great car, fun to drive, very good mileage"

Cons: "small amount of backseat legroom"

"I am very happy with this car. Best features: great looks, acceleration, interior trim and finish, comfortable seats. Handles tremendously in the snow. Least favorite features: small amount of legroom in the backseat, no MP3 capability."

Great, reliable, safe, fun vehicle

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Full of safety features and a comfort to drive"

Cons: "Routine maintenance costs higher than other brands"

"I've driven this very car in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Belgium, France, Austria, Netherlands, Illinois, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Washington. It does great in winter, fits my family of six (fold-down rear-facing, rear seat option)--has grown with us from having one infant to toting that 8 year old to soccer with all the siblings. Only negative, if I have to name one, it the expense of dealer repairs when needed. To that I say its a quality vehicle, kept up to standard. It hasn't needed anything unusual and I'm confident I'll have it still to give over as that "infant's" first car."

My black xc70 wagon

By on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive nice car"

Cons: "too many repairs......."

"Everyone of my friends made fun of me until they drove it. I had some rather expensive repairs, wheel bearings because when volvo ships they tie them down hard and the boat rocks and it doesn't help the bearings. I showed this to my V dealer and they admitted to it and paid for two of the four. Also tie rods.... Would I buy another? No probably not I need to move on..but it is very comfortable and fun to drive. I can only get 20 in city and almost 24 on road trips. I like it but its not cheap to run."

Great all around car

By on Saturday, September 26, 2009

"When we moved out 'in the country' my husband insisted I have an AWD. I looked at the XC90 but prefered the XC70. I bought a low milage 04. I drive a lot and I love the comfortable seats and the decent milage (20+ in town, 24+ highway). I frequently need to carry cargo and it holds much more than it looks like it would. Today I hit a deer while going 70 mph on the interstate. The airbags deployed and aside from some abrasions I am fine. I love this car and won't even look at anything else as long as they make the XC70."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"I bought my 2005 XC70 New and have loved it from the day I brought it home! It is AMAZING in the snow and will plow through just about anything. The seats are comfortable, it gets good gas mileage for an AWD wagon, and there is enough space for my family of four. For a wagon, it has a sleek and sexy look to it. We had all of the windows tinted on ours, which helps. Doesn't look like the rest of suburbia."

Maintenance is expensive

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"I LOVE this car. However, after about the 3rd year of owning it, the maintenace costs far outweigh the value. We are trading it in, for the sole reason that our maintenance bill was close to $3000 this year. Last year it was $2000. It is just out of control. As another reviewer said - it is at least $1000/year for general maintenace. When things go wrong - look out! It saddens me to see it go. Best car I ever had."

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"THis car is a comfortable car to drive however it has been a nightmare to deal with. The transmission is shot after 85000 and Vovlo is terrible to deal with. Nothing but a hole on the road into one pours money..Never again"

Pricey Maintenance

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Most expensive car I have ever had to maintain. It's a very nice car to drive and of course very safe. Make sure you have a very fat wallet if you want to keep it running in top condition."

This has been a great car for us!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Drives great in all conditions, safe and solid!"

Cons: "Expensive for replacement parts, road noise"

"This car has been very reliable for us. Very little maintenance, only the recommened services. I do hear that the year of the Volvo makes a lot of difference in the amount of reliabilty you get from your Volvo. Well, 2004 was a great year! I do have a couple of small problems with Volvo though. We bought it used from someone we new who had unfortunatly cut out the third row seatbelts that we replaced - that was expensive! That is one of my two gripes with Volvo, Expensive to replace parts (I lost a very expensive remote key - ugh) Finding the right shop is important. The Spokane area Volvo dealer is tops - had to run in there once on a long road trip (my local dealers short sightedness - Spokane dealer rocks!) My second gripe with this Volvo is road noise! It has a lot. However, I have been told it would make a substantial difference if I would take the all season tires off and put different ones on. But hey, its a cross country, shouldn't it be able to have a heavier tire?"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Friday, February 03, 2012

Pros: "SAFE - Great in the snow - and very safe in all co"

Cons: "Volvos have some quirks but very few came up my ca"

"I have owned many cars and with the 100K miles it still runs and rides like a new car. No squeaks rattles knocks or pings. It has been serviced at Volvo since new. It has been waxed once but when washed it looks like it just came out of the showroom. What a great solid safe car. Worth every penny"

wonderful safe car

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "price,safety,reliable,comfort"

Cons: "rear seat room"

"I have owned this car for 3 years, purchased from a new car dealer with 60k on it. I put almost 30k on it first year of ownership, trips to Cooperstown NY with 4 adults was a pleasure even after 5 hours in car. I have put nothing into this car except oil changes every 5k and now a set of new tires, I also put almost 55k on the Pirelli Scorpion tires which I hear is rare. The seats are as comfy as a couch the safety is first rate and the winter traction is better then my 4x4 suv. The only drawback is rear seat room kinda cramped for taller adults."

Super Car!

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Drives like a sedan with the space of a wagon. MPG is great....over 30 on highway. With over 120,000 miles this car has been a gem to own and drive."

A solid european engineered Wagon

By on Wednesday, August 04, 2010

"I've owned my car going on 4 years now and this is my first Volvo. I've owned all kinds of cars (listed in worst to best from my personal experience). VW, Nissan, Mazda, Chev, and Honda. This car is by far my most favorite auto I have ever owned. As a family car, it is incredibly versatile with its huge cargo space in the rear, where the all the seats can fold down for additional room, even the front passenger. Gas economy is averaging 20mpg city and 30 highway. It is also a great vehicle to tow tent trailers. Reliability is average for a Volvo, which issues experienced are all well known weaknesses but none of the repairs are expensive and are all wear related - not faults. Common issues include top and lower mounts, end-links, and the odd wheel bearing. Again, none of these repairs were overly expensive, several I was able to do myself with a simple ratchet set. Driving and comfort - this car puts to shame most luxary sedans, it's like driving on lazyboy chairs, making long trips easy and relaxing. Coupled with its fantastic haldex AWD system, traction control (standard) and optional stability control, this vehicle is very solid in all kinds of weather no matter where you live. The 2.5T engine also provides PLENTY of power and pick-up with 0-60 times in the mid-7 seconds - more than enough oomph to merge and pass cars even when fully loaded. It's not a light vehicle, weighing in at a hefty 4200lbs, but with that girth also comes safety, with curtain airbags that go all the way around the driver and passenger compartments, and anti-whiplash seats. I also feel very safe in this car, especially since i have a couple of small children that sit in the back. For me, it's versatility coupled with safety, decent fuel economy for a vehicle of this size and AWD system, this car is a no-brainer for those looking for a wagon for the family or for those who need the extra space in the trunk for varied lifestyles."

Me and my car have been through so much

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "tons of space, fun to drive in winter, reliable"

Cons: "stuff falls between seat and center console"

"This is my first car and will be my car for years to come. it is so reliable, and does everything i could possibly want it to. I attatched a trailer hitch and can tow stuff, I have a roof rack and can carry stuff. I camp, sleep, and spend so much time in this car i could never sell it even if I wanted to. seriously a great car and will last forever. although im embarrassed to admit it, I have needed anti-skid service since last winter and its ran perfectly despite that the whole time. It even has parking assist!!! I live in new england and it is perfect for winter and camping and outdoors and all the things you could possibly want. totally comfortable for long drives out of state and all around. Ive slept in it under multiple circumstances and it is always comfortable to recline the seat and lay there, or if you need more room put the back seats down and chill out in the back, you could even fit an air mattress if you really wanted to. amazing car. VOLVO XC70 <333333333333"

Love this car!

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I swore I would NEVER own a station wagon - this one changed my mind. Our first experience was with a rental in Germany and I got in this car and everything just felt like it was in the right place. When it came time to buy this was what we decided on - both of us have owned many cars and worked on them ourselves. It drives so smooth - in Germany I got up to about 150 mph without even realizing it and it still felt safe. It has taken us all over Europe - to the Alps, up a volcano - and never a worry. And the looks - from the front these cars look great - stylish, aggressive and not trimmed in too much garish plastic. We already owned two Jeeps - a Cherokee and an old CJ - we always thought our move up to a "nicer" car would be a Grand Cherokee - but not anymore. This is the one! The only thing close to a complaint - if Volvo could improve the gas mileage just a bit - it's not bad, but more would be better."

excellent 2004 Volvo wagon ever

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "great car, love the wagon for storage"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Long distance miles from Florida to Washington DC, South Dakota, Ohio."

Wonderful family car

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

"We have loved this car. We bought it as our first family vehicle and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It was super for putting in a car seat for our child. We will miss it very much when we replace it."

Second XC70 I've been disappointed with

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "first three to four years are GREAT, then trouble."

Cons: "Transmission flaws, leaking sealants"

"This car served me relatively well until the past year when I've had to put more than $5,000. into it for repairs. I now need a transmission and it leaks inside during heavy rains. As a loyal Volvo customer, I am saddened, but this will be my last of 4/5."