2006 Volvo XC70

Based on 130 Ratings for the 2003 - 2007 models.

My black xc70 wagon

By on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive nice car"

Cons: "too many repairs......."

"Everyone of my friends made fun of me until they drove it. I had some rather expensive repairs, wheel bearings because when volvo ships they tie them down hard and the boat rocks and it doesn't help the bearings. I showed this to my V dealer and they admitted to it and paid for two of the four. Also tie rods.... Would I buy another? No probably not I need to move on..but it is very comfortable and fun to drive. I can only get 20 in city and almost 24 on road trips. I like it but its not cheap to run."

Lots of Good.. just a few "not so".

By on Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, powerful"

Cons: "More than expected tire wear. Dealer parts are VERY expensive."

"Definitely happy with this car, with a few exceptions you should be aware of. Be prepared to do a bit of extra-curricular parts hunting to avoid dealer's exorbitant pricing. Cases in point: HID ballast resitors, HID bulbs"

Great car, wish it were hybrid

By on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"My only complaint about this Volvo XC wagon is that the gas mileage doesn't equal that of a hybrid. I am very concerned with the amount of money I'm paying for gas as well as the increased environmental damage that internal combustion engines are doing. Guess I'm going to have to compromise on comfort and carrying capacity."

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"I bought my one-owner 2003 XC70 from a dealer 2 1/2 years ago for $17600. It has had, to date, over $16000 in repairs, half within two months of buying the vehicle. Most mileage is hgwy. This is the 15th car I've owned. It's maintenance is getting near the total maintenance cost of the preceeding 14 -two of which were junkers."

Great car

By on Sunday, January 30, 2011

"I bought a 2004 in 2009. The car had 93K miles. More than 10K miles and a year later I could not have been any happier. This is a great car. It is very comfortable, it handles extremely well and is a joy to drive on any road condition. The only negative is the fuel consumption. I get about 16 miles in the city and 20 in the highway. This is the only reason I put 4 stars for value. I recommend this car and I have become a Volvo enthusiast."

Great family vehicle

By on Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Vehicle feels like a european touring sedan. Handles terrific and is amazing in the snow. The built in child booster seats are great. I was able to have all three kids in the second row because of the two (yes two) boosters. With the third row jump seat I can put 7 in this car. And did I mention I get 19 miles per gallon in the city and have gotten as high as 29 on the highway. She is great on gas! Purchased as a certified vehicle. Put this one high on your list when shopping for a used car."

Best Volvo I ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"I love this car. I have owned the car for 7 years, and I have not had a single problem with it. I replaced brakes & rotors after 110K miles. The car is driven in the eastern sierra with mostly highway driving"

Comfortable and practical

By on Tuesday, November 09, 2010

"The most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned; I have the power leather seats. I actually use it off-road several times each year, so the AWD and the high clearance really helps. And like the traditional Volvo wagon, it holds a lot for its size."

SWISS MONEY PIT!!!

By on Monday, October 25, 2010

"The XC70 is a way cool and fun car. Volvo finally made a car that did not resemble a shoe box. Very comfortable in every way on any kind of road. And at only 2.5liters this thing really runs. The engine is very impressive for a 3700lbs car and moves it quite well. The R version must be a blast to drive. It handles like my 85 IROC and rides like my 70 Imperial. A very hard combination to engineer. In bad weather it would be hard to beat by anything without a more aggressive treaded tire. As long as you were not pushing snow with the bumper it never got stuck. Very versatile and has lots of room for travel. We both loved this car when my wallet stayed in my pocket. Bought it with 60k and trading it in with 140k. It is very expensive to buy, did not hold its value. It was even more expensive to maintain. Lots of plastic that seemed to break easily, like the center console arm rest hinge, mirror adjustment switch, stereo and heater knobs, etc. Which the same things were broke on half the cars I seen like this one. The "maintaince free" rear wheel hub assemblies are a joke. At $200+ a side, are junk every 2 years but were very easy to change. Alternator cost 2 times as much as other makes. Well pretty much everything did. The plugs and wires were the cheapest item bought for the XC70. The worst problem with this car is you better own a tire manufacture. This thing eats tires like a 1 ton 4x4. If the tread is worn at all and you have a tire cut or ruined somehow all 4 have to be replaced or risk drive train failure according to Volvo. A set of tires cost around $800 at Dobbs, plus the alignment, which did only have to be adjusted one time in 4 sets of tires. Free rotation came with them so it got done every other oil change which was done every 3k miles. As for oil changes I did the first one and that was the ONLY one. I had never paid someone for a oil change until I owned a Volvo. You have to remove the skid plate from under the engine bay which is about 3' x 3', at least it is plastic, then unscrew a plastic cup out of the oil pan which is where the open filter is located. This is like changing the oil in a antique tractor. Come on now Volvo engineers, they make filters that are self contained and have for a half a century. So you are lying on your back taking bolts out of all for corners of the front end then you have oil running down your arm and dripping all over you and the ground. Then you have to roll around in the oil to reassembly the car. First and last Volvo I will ever own!"

The Best

By on Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Confort is great but safety is #1 I just got T boned and after my car roll on its side and back again I walked out without a scrash, even more I have to back up and move it out of the way, incredible, smoking and all bend it started at once. I can´t imagine driving anything else."

Good Value

By on Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Wanted a good 4wd car for my wife to go to California in the winter. She really likes the smooth, quiet ride and performance and ease around trown. Can't get a better value for a European car."

great value

By on Saturday, August 14, 2010

"This vehicle has done everything that it was asked to do, very well. Even though it is a wagon, it kind drives like a sports car. Comfortablility is unsurpassed, with the heated leather seats. It has been one of the best vehicles that I have ever driven in real bad weather. It is my belief that Volvo sets the standards for building a great vehicle."

A solid european engineered Wagon

By on Wednesday, August 04, 2010

"I've owned my car going on 4 years now and this is my first Volvo. I've owned all kinds of cars (listed in worst to best from my personal experience). VW, Nissan, Mazda, Chev, and Honda. This car is by far my most favorite auto I have ever owned. As a family car, it is incredibly versatile with its huge cargo space in the rear, where the all the seats can fold down for additional room, even the front passenger. Gas economy is averaging 20mpg city and 30 highway. It is also a great vehicle to tow tent trailers. Reliability is average for a Volvo, which issues experienced are all well known weaknesses but none of the repairs are expensive and are all wear related - not faults. Common issues include top and lower mounts, end-links, and the odd wheel bearing. Again, none of these repairs were overly expensive, several I was able to do myself with a simple ratchet set. Driving and comfort - this car puts to shame most luxary sedans, it's like driving on lazyboy chairs, making long trips easy and relaxing. Coupled with its fantastic haldex AWD system, traction control (standard) and optional stability control, this vehicle is very solid in all kinds of weather no matter where you live. The 2.5T engine also provides PLENTY of power and pick-up with 0-60 times in the mid-7 seconds - more than enough oomph to merge and pass cars even when fully loaded. It's not a light vehicle, weighing in at a hefty 4200lbs, but with that girth also comes safety, with curtain airbags that go all the way around the driver and passenger compartments, and anti-whiplash seats. I also feel very safe in this car, especially since i have a couple of small children that sit in the back. For me, it's versatility coupled with safety, decent fuel economy for a vehicle of this size and AWD system, this car is a no-brainer for those looking for a wagon for the family or for those who need the extra space in the trunk for varied lifestyles."

unhappy

By on Sunday, March 21, 2010

"we bought a used 2001 and have had nothing but trouble. the trans has had a problem from the get go and unless it shows up on the computer no one can fix it. finaly it went out completely. the cost of ownership does not justifiy nice seats. we have many more problems but too many to list. remember, never buy a volvo that isn't at a volvo dealership, no one knows how to check them out right."

love this car!

By on Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Over the past ten years I've had an '86 Cadillac sedan, a '91 Peugeot wagon, an '86 Volvo 240 wagon, an '89 Volvo 240 wagon and now THIS car for one year. I love my european wagons and I love my Volvos! This is the newest most luxurious car I've thus far owned and the only complaint I have about it is that it's a gas guzzler and oil change is more expensive since you have to use synthetic. That's it!"

By on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

By on Saturday, January 30, 2010

"This is my 5th Volvo after a 740, 850, S70, C70, and not XC70. Yes, all Volvos are on the expensive side to maintain, but with Volvos safety and absolute comfort I can live with the expense of yearly maintenance. The seats in the XC70 are not as comfortable as the C70 or S70, but they are still orders of magnitude more comfortable than the X3 or E Class Merc. Decent gas mileage and pickup."

Awesome Mom Ride

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"Love this car. Bought a loaner from dealer and it has been the very best car for me, my kids and their sports equipment and my dog with the retractable rear netting."

By on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Great all around car

By on Saturday, September 26, 2009

"When we moved out 'in the country' my husband insisted I have an AWD. I looked at the XC90 but prefered the XC70. I bought a low milage 04. I drive a lot and I love the comfortable seats and the decent milage (20+ in town, 24+ highway). I frequently need to carry cargo and it holds much more than it looks like it would. Today I hit a deer while going 70 mph on the interstate. The airbags deployed and aside from some abrasions I am fine. I love this car and won't even look at anything else as long as they make the XC70."

wonderful car

By on Monday, September 14, 2009

"most comfortable vehicle to drive, with top-notch reliability. sorry they no longer make red metallic available."

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"We bought this car to drive our two kids to and from skiing and soccer. Volvo engineers, with all of their wisdom, failed to create a comfortable back seat. It is too small and doesn't recline to a comfortable position. They could easily have reduced the trunk room and increased the back seat."

FIFTH AND LAST

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"Volvo has lost its edge. Our "04 XC has been in the shop six times in the past 14 months. Fortunately we had the extended warranty which covered in excess of $6K worth of repairs, coupled with the scheduled maintenance this is a VERY expensive vehicle to drive. We have our eye on a used Mercedes wagon which appears to be a suitable substitute that we're willing to try the next time around."

By on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

By on Monday, July 06, 2009

"We have had the car for over trhree years. no issues. A comfortable functional car."