2006 Volvo XC70

Based on 132 Ratings for the 2003 - 2007 models.

really great car

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

"This is a very comfortable and safe wagon. I am 6'2", 225lbs and I'm very comforatble in these seats. I average 28 miles per gallon on the highway and 25 in town. Really had no problems with this car. I service the oil every 3500 miles and perform the major Volvo service only at 60,000 95,000 and now with 133,000. I'll have a hard time replacing it when the time comes."

Value for the Money

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Cons: "Driver seat split but Colorado sun is hard"

"I just love my Volvo and will never own any thing else for a passenger car. I have owned 20+ cars in my lifetime...everything from a huge HD pickup, sports cars, cheap cars, mid size passenger vehicles, domestic and foreign, you name it. BUT this is the longest I've owned a vehicle and its not due to the economy. Fantastic engine - pickup to pass when you need it on two lane winding mountain roads, security - you and your family are safe in this heavy safety cage vehicle, comfortable - short trip or cross country I never have any comfort issues, good on gas. Excellent cup holders. Repairs are pricey at Volvo dealers but you can find other repair shops but watch what the products they install..especially brakes...you want to keep your good quality parts...I've replaced both brakes, radiator, spark plugs, flushed radiator, etc. but at 110K miles in hard conditions of the Rockies, what car would not need these repairs? I highly recommend my XC70 basic model...I did not pay the the high end package."

Love this car!! Never want to give it up!

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "Great to drive; comfortable; reliable; feel safe;"

"Bought this car as a dealer demo car and have loved it from first sight and drive. We have never had any problems with this car and we drive quite a bit. I usually get "tired" of a vehicle after 2-3 years, but not this car!"

Great Family Car - Comfy, Reliable and Safe

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, reliable, comfy"

Cons: "Light bulbs come loose, giving warning lights"

"We've had our 2004 Volvo XC70 for about 5 years. It's been a great car! We bought it used (it was a corporate leased car before we owned it), no major problem at all in the time we've owned it. The biggest expense we've come up against is new tires. You apparently should get the Pirellie (sp) tires for this car, which are expensive ($300 a tire). Other than that, this car is great on fuel, the heated seats are great (they heat your bum and your back), good pick up, easy to drive. Highly recommended!!"

Disappointed

By on Saturday, December 06, 2008

"I bought this vehicle for my wife as a special gift, since it was always one of her dream cars. In 40,000 miles, it has been in and out of the shop about 8 times for a variety of problems such as: leaks, suspension component replacement, broken window regulator, and a failed power steering pump. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty. Because of the reliability issues, we're going to sell this car before the warranty is up. My wife is heartbroken. I wouldn't recommend the Volvo to anyone, unless you don't mind shelling out thousands a year in repairs on what should be a top quality vehicle."

By on Sunday, November 09, 2008

"Am enjoying my XC70 as much four years after purchase as the day I bought it. Mechanically outstanding. Handling on highway clear snow or ice is unbelievable. When family needs to travel on winter evenings this is the choice. Positive handling at all speeds. Pulls the largest Uhaul trailer. A real workhorse! However, all family and guests compliment the comfort of the seats, whether front or back. Will keep for another six years at least. The best vehicle I have had in 45 years of driving, which includes other Volvos, Mercedes, Cadillacs, Fords, Buicks and Pontiacs."

Style over Substance

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"We wanted a somewhat stylish vehicle alternative to the practical minivan. The XC70 had it all: a third row for the carpools, AWD for skiing and camping trips, built in booster seats - and the Volvo reputation for reliability and longevity. What could go wrong? - How about at least one significant ($1k or more) problem with the vehicle per year? Problems w/ the tranmission, vehicle locks, vehicle latches, etc. To Volvo's credit, none of the problems has left us stranded on the side of the road, but we visit the service center more often than we should - and we pay for it each time. [For $40k, I expect reliability, this car is disappointing.] - The ownership cost is excessive, as a result. Regular service alone is relatively expensive already. - But, for a family wagon, it's stylish and it handles well in the snow. - We're getting a Sienna - anyone interested in a XC 70?"

Best One Yet...2007 CX70

By on Thursday, May 17, 2007

"There is nothing I would add or subtract from this car. It arrived as ordered and it has given me no issues to deal with. It is great for multiple dogs and I don't miss the sedan at all! I took most of the options and love them. This is my third Volvo and I love these cars. The only reason I have ever traded my Volvos was for changes in my life which required a different type of transportation. I also love my dealer and my mechanic - I travel 30 minutes to get to them, sadly I can't say that about my in town dealer. I would highly recommend this car for the person who wants a work horse with minimum cost of upkeep."

Great ride

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "lots of room, great quality"

Cons: "little higher than expected road noise"

"great build quality"

My black xc70 wagon

By on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive nice car"

Cons: "too many repairs......."

"Everyone of my friends made fun of me until they drove it. I had some rather expensive repairs, wheel bearings because when volvo ships they tie them down hard and the boat rocks and it doesn't help the bearings. I showed this to my V dealer and they admitted to it and paid for two of the four. Also tie rods.... Would I buy another? No probably not I need to move on..but it is very comfortable and fun to drive. I can only get 20 in city and almost 24 on road trips. I like it but its not cheap to run."

Maintenance is expensive

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"I LOVE this car. However, after about the 3rd year of owning it, the maintenace costs far outweigh the value. We are trading it in, for the sole reason that our maintenance bill was close to $3000 this year. Last year it was $2000. It is just out of control. As another reviewer said - it is at least $1000/year for general maintenace. When things go wrong - look out! It saddens me to see it go. Best car I ever had."

Pricey Maintenance

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Most expensive car I have ever had to maintain. It's a very nice car to drive and of course very safe. Make sure you have a very fat wallet if you want to keep it running in top condition."

This has been a great car for us!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Drives great in all conditions, safe and solid!"

Cons: "Expensive for replacement parts, road noise"

"This car has been very reliable for us. Very little maintenance, only the recommened services. I do hear that the year of the Volvo makes a lot of difference in the amount of reliabilty you get from your Volvo. Well, 2004 was a great year! I do have a couple of small problems with Volvo though. We bought it used from someone we new who had unfortunatly cut out the third row seatbelts that we replaced - that was expensive! That is one of my two gripes with Volvo, Expensive to replace parts (I lost a very expensive remote key - ugh) Finding the right shop is important. The Spokane area Volvo dealer is tops - had to run in there once on a long road trip (my local dealers short sightedness - Spokane dealer rocks!) My second gripe with this Volvo is road noise! It has a lot. However, I have been told it would make a substantial difference if I would take the all season tires off and put different ones on. But hey, its a cross country, shouldn't it be able to have a heavier tire?"

very safe car

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

"very comfortable on trips,awd went out at 70,000 miles. new radiator at 50,000 miles. like car but just to many problem."

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Friday, February 03, 2012

Pros: "SAFE - Great in the snow - and very safe in all co"

Cons: "Volvos have some quirks but very few came up my ca"

"I have owned many cars and with the 100K miles it still runs and rides like a new car. No squeaks rattles knocks or pings. It has been serviced at Volvo since new. It has been waxed once but when washed it looks like it just came out of the showroom. What a great solid safe car. Worth every penny"

wonderful safe car

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "price,safety,reliable,comfort"

Cons: "rear seat room"

"I have owned this car for 3 years, purchased from a new car dealer with 60k on it. I put almost 30k on it first year of ownership, trips to Cooperstown NY with 4 adults was a pleasure even after 5 hours in car. I have put nothing into this car except oil changes every 5k and now a set of new tires, I also put almost 55k on the Pirelli Scorpion tires which I hear is rare. The seats are as comfy as a couch the safety is first rate and the winter traction is better then my 4x4 suv. The only drawback is rear seat room kinda cramped for taller adults."

Super Car!

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Drives like a sedan with the space of a wagon. MPG is great....over 30 on highway. With over 120,000 miles this car has been a gem to own and drive."

A solid european engineered Wagon

By on Wednesday, August 04, 2010

"I've owned my car going on 4 years now and this is my first Volvo. I've owned all kinds of cars (listed in worst to best from my personal experience). VW, Nissan, Mazda, Chev, and Honda. This car is by far my most favorite auto I have ever owned. As a family car, it is incredibly versatile with its huge cargo space in the rear, where the all the seats can fold down for additional room, even the front passenger. Gas economy is averaging 20mpg city and 30 highway. It is also a great vehicle to tow tent trailers. Reliability is average for a Volvo, which issues experienced are all well known weaknesses but none of the repairs are expensive and are all wear related - not faults. Common issues include top and lower mounts, end-links, and the odd wheel bearing. Again, none of these repairs were overly expensive, several I was able to do myself with a simple ratchet set. Driving and comfort - this car puts to shame most luxary sedans, it's like driving on lazyboy chairs, making long trips easy and relaxing. Coupled with its fantastic haldex AWD system, traction control (standard) and optional stability control, this vehicle is very solid in all kinds of weather no matter where you live. The 2.5T engine also provides PLENTY of power and pick-up with 0-60 times in the mid-7 seconds - more than enough oomph to merge and pass cars even when fully loaded. It's not a light vehicle, weighing in at a hefty 4200lbs, but with that girth also comes safety, with curtain airbags that go all the way around the driver and passenger compartments, and anti-whiplash seats. I also feel very safe in this car, especially since i have a couple of small children that sit in the back. For me, it's versatility coupled with safety, decent fuel economy for a vehicle of this size and AWD system, this car is a no-brainer for those looking for a wagon for the family or for those who need the extra space in the trunk for varied lifestyles."

Great all around car

By on Saturday, September 26, 2009

"When we moved out 'in the country' my husband insisted I have an AWD. I looked at the XC90 but prefered the XC70. I bought a low milage 04. I drive a lot and I love the comfortable seats and the decent milage (20+ in town, 24+ highway). I frequently need to carry cargo and it holds much more than it looks like it would. Today I hit a deer while going 70 mph on the interstate. The airbags deployed and aside from some abrasions I am fine. I love this car and won't even look at anything else as long as they make the XC70."

Me and my car have been through so much

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "tons of space, fun to drive in winter, reliable"

Cons: "stuff falls between seat and center console"

"This is my first car and will be my car for years to come. it is so reliable, and does everything i could possibly want it to. I attatched a trailer hitch and can tow stuff, I have a roof rack and can carry stuff. I camp, sleep, and spend so much time in this car i could never sell it even if I wanted to. seriously a great car and will last forever. although im embarrassed to admit it, I have needed anti-skid service since last winter and its ran perfectly despite that the whole time. It even has parking assist!!! I live in new england and it is perfect for winter and camping and outdoors and all the things you could possibly want. totally comfortable for long drives out of state and all around. Ive slept in it under multiple circumstances and it is always comfortable to recline the seat and lay there, or if you need more room put the back seats down and chill out in the back, you could even fit an air mattress if you really wanted to. amazing car. VOLVO XC70 <333333333333"

excellent 2004 Volvo wagon ever

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "great car, love the wagon for storage"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Long distance miles from Florida to Washington DC, South Dakota, Ohio."

Second XC70 I've been disappointed with

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "first three to four years are GREAT, then trouble."

Cons: "Transmission flaws, leaking sealants"

"This car served me relatively well until the past year when I've had to put more than $5,000. into it for repairs. I now need a transmission and it leaks inside during heavy rains. As a loyal Volvo customer, I am saddened, but this will be my last of 4/5."

A fine, solid, well-made vehicle.

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Sturdy, attractive, reliable, great winter car."

Cons: "Parts can be pricey."

"This car has been reliable, comfortable and has kept my family safe for the past few years. I recommend it."

Worst car I have ever owned

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "All wheel drive"

Cons: "Everything under the sun."

"I purchased this car in 2012 with 90000 miles and have had unending trouble. It seems that the check engine light has a timer set for every month, and every time it comes on I have to insert a $1000 dollars. The latest is a transmission that is failing (a $7000 replacement). This car has poor steering dynamics that result in a sluggish feeling in turns. While the engine produces good power and the car accelerates well, the transmission is tuned extremely poorly and clunks into and out of lower gears. The interior initially feels comfortable and well made, but with closer inspection is poorly thought out. The head rests are not adjustable and will force you to sit with your neck extended forward unless you are >6'5 (I am 6'5, my wife is not). Automatic windows have auto up and down feature, but switches wear out and the window will hit the top and automatically roll all the way down, may sound minor but it is infuriating when you are trying to roll up the windows while trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Rear windshield wiper switch is impossible not to constantly bump. Stereo volume knob responds randomly to a turn in a given direction. I realize that this may not reflect all XC 70s and even all from this particular year, but I have hard time forgiving Volvo (or the dealership) for selling such a thoroughly disappointing."

SWISS MONEY PIT!!!

By on Monday, October 25, 2010

"The XC70 is a way cool and fun car. Volvo finally made a car that did not resemble a shoe box. Very comfortable in every way on any kind of road. And at only 2.5liters this thing really runs. The engine is very impressive for a 3700lbs car and moves it quite well. The R version must be a blast to drive. It handles like my 85 IROC and rides like my 70 Imperial. A very hard combination to engineer. In bad weather it would be hard to beat by anything without a more aggressive treaded tire. As long as you were not pushing snow with the bumper it never got stuck. Very versatile and has lots of room for travel. We both loved this car when my wallet stayed in my pocket. Bought it with 60k and trading it in with 140k. It is very expensive to buy, did not hold its value. It was even more expensive to maintain. Lots of plastic that seemed to break easily, like the center console arm rest hinge, mirror adjustment switch, stereo and heater knobs, etc. Which the same things were broke on half the cars I seen like this one. The "maintaince free" rear wheel hub assemblies are a joke. At $200+ a side, are junk every 2 years but were very easy to change. Alternator cost 2 times as much as other makes. Well pretty much everything did. The plugs and wires were the cheapest item bought for the XC70. The worst problem with this car is you better own a tire manufacture. This thing eats tires like a 1 ton 4x4. If the tread is worn at all and you have a tire cut or ruined somehow all 4 have to be replaced or risk drive train failure according to Volvo. A set of tires cost around $800 at Dobbs, plus the alignment, which did only have to be adjusted one time in 4 sets of tires. Free rotation came with them so it got done every other oil change which was done every 3k miles. As for oil changes I did the first one and that was the ONLY one. I had never paid someone for a oil change until I owned a Volvo. You have to remove the skid plate from under the engine bay which is about 3' x 3', at least it is plastic, then unscrew a plastic cup out of the oil pan which is where the open filter is located. This is like changing the oil in a antique tractor. Come on now Volvo engineers, they make filters that are self contained and have for a half a century. So you are lying on your back taking bolts out of all for corners of the front end then you have oil running down your arm and dripping all over you and the ground. Then you have to roll around in the oil to reassembly the car. First and last Volvo I will ever own!"