• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2011 Volvo XC60

8.3

Based on 63 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Too many problems

By on Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"Three years, three batteries....three flat bed tows. Something is obviously draining the battery and I was told they thought it might be the Serius radio that I don't subscribe to but they said that because it's available they think it's still "on"??? Sun Roof leaked requiring 3 separate trips to finally repair, car spent about 2-1/2 wks in the service dept. drying out. Three more flat bed tows when I couldn't shift out of park before they diagnosed a solenoid malfunction. Hope that's it and the kinks are worked out otherwise I'll drive this until the warranty is up. It's too bad because if not for these issues I love this car!"

The XC60 is overall an excellent SUV.

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Price, comfort, ride, safety, and features."

Cons: "Not the best mileage but it's an SUV."

"Aesthetics aside, sitting and driving in this car has been an absolute pleasure. The ride is comfortable for an SUV. Noise level is very good only noticeable above 80mph. Steering has very good feel and excellent response.The seats are fabulous, comfortable for short or long runs. Volvo designs in the little things that make driving enjoyable. Touches like a versatile audio system, bluetooth, power tailgate, panoramic moonroof, quality craftsmanship, and many many more niceties. But the primary reason I chose the XC60 were all the safety features, I feel safer driving this car than the others I've had.Another plus is the value you get when compared to other SUVs like the X3, RDX, Q5, etc. The other SUV I like is the X5 but it approached 56k when customized. I purchased the XC60 T6 Platinum with tech, climate, and blis for much less. It was also much more pleasant working with my Volvo sales person than the BMW one I leased my 328 three years ago. I love this car and would recommend it without hesitation."

I wanted so much to love this car!

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Safety features"

Cons: "everything else"

"But I don't. Bought it pre-owned with 39K miles on it, which is probably the source of my frustration and angst. It's at the dealership every few months for something. The check engine light came on twice in the first week, dealer blamed it on low amount of gas in the tank while it was sitting around the parking lot waiting to be sold. The latest issue was the low oil warning light. How could the car practically be out of oil with only 1000 miles over the next oil change? I love the car's safety features and have felt safe in the car since day 1. I just can't keep taking days off from work to have it looked at. Sorry to say, I can't wait to get rid of it."

Safe car with exceptional handling

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Good value, exceptional handling"

Cons: "Nothing major"

"We bought the XC60 3.2 (no turbo, 2WD) as a commuter car for my wife's 50+ mile commute. Main reason was safety. Volvo's always had the reputation for being safe and looking bad - this one actually looks good too. We got a 60.000 mls free maintenance and repairs and that means we don't pay anything - even wiper blades are free. There are two issues with the car: the software has a few glitches and it took the dealer a few visits to finally make it work properly. All the glitches were minor, i.e. it wouldn't beep when locking. The second issue is really bad design on the seatbelts in the front. The angle of the slot where the seatbelt goes in is off, thus kinking the belt and sometimes not really rolling it up properly. Also minor, but it's odd to see such a flaw on an otherwise well designed car. That all said, if you want a vehicle you can pull off the road onto a soft gravel shoulder at 70 mph and have no problem controlling the car, the XC60 is the car to go. I had to do that on I5 when someone pushed me off the road and I would be in the hospital if not dead had I driven our second car (ford escape). The chassis is incredibly stiff for an SUV - it's more like a porsche or other high end sportscar. So don't wonder when your inner rear wheel lifts off when you pull into an elevated driveway. The stiff chassis gives you exceptional handling in corners and emergencies. The mileage is pretty good for a car that weight. We average close to 26 mpg with around 80/20 highway to city. It's a safe fun car to drive and for the price it outperforms pretty much all of it's more expensive competitors."

Transmossion problems

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Reason: Transmission problems

Pros: "It's a beautiful car very luxurious."

Cons: "Transmission problems, terrible GPS"

"After a week of driving the XC60, I noticed a problem with the transmission, a hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop/speeding up to pass etc. Like driving manual transmission in the wrong gear. Took it for service repetedly. Volvo wouldn't admit a problem and told me to use premium fuel. One mechanic said it's a 5000lb car you have to gun it (!!). Finally they said they knew what was wrong and to wait for a software update, that took 6 months. It helped but the problem was still there. Volvo went back to saying there was nothing wrong with the car. After a year, I had had it and asked how much they would give me for the car to end this, Carmax gave me more. The GPS stinks too. I didn't have the time or energy to persue the lemon law."

Nice cross over!

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Power is nice with the T6"

Cons: "Never use the tiptronic transmission or CD, waste"

"I got 50K on this with no problems. The T6 is the way to go..nice! The CD payer is a waist. Who uses CD's? The tiptronic transmission is not needed. Just push on the peddle that’s on the right (its fast), no need to change gears or try to make it into stick shift, just going to mess up the trans. Arm rest in the door is small and not in the correct location and I could really use a remote starter (Buffalo NY). I had no other problems! Picked up snow tires and it holds the road, summer tires do not do it for the winter. Safty Safty is the key feature. Third Volvo for me. Good size with power and speed!"

A Luxury drive in the lap of safety

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

"This car is an exhibit in practicality, safety, luxury and speed! Gorgeous interior, sound system amazing. Honestly, I realized the true value of this car when a few days after my purchase, I drove about 750 miles in horrific storms. It was raining sideways, visibility was very low and there was flooding on I-95. This car handled the road so securely as cars slid off to the side in droves. While it is beautiful, nothing compares to the feeling of confidence developed when a vehicle is truly tested in dangerous conditions and performs well beyond expectations. Don't think twice, by the way, insurance companies LOVE this car and you see it in your rates."

I love this car

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Practical car with great get up and go!!"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Great value for the money."

Cons: "Wish it was about 4 inches higher."

"I have owned quite a few cars in my lifetime, "60 plus years of driving," including 7 different Jaguars. This Volvo is really the best car I have ever owned. Picked it up at the factory last year and drove around Europe for month. Car handles well, rides great, visibility is good. Found out the wipers worked well the first few days. Averaged 26.6 MPG for the 3500 miles I put on in Europe. I really can't find fault with anything about the car. By the way, this is my first Volvo. Drove Jeep Grand Cherokees before buying this Volvo. Was looking to duplicate as close to the overall size that I found I really liked in the 1998 to 2004 Grand cherokees. Didn't like the newer Jeeps, they just looked fat."

My first Volvo

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, feels solid and safe."

Cons: "Center (wave) open console annoys me."

"After having gotten into a potentially life-threatening accident in my boyfriend's Volvo, I realized how safe they were-we all came out without a scratch--even the 2 dogs! I've owned about 20 new cars in my life, the last three were a Honda Accord V-6 Ex-L, with navigation. I loved my last Honda and kept it the longest of any of my other cars, so it was difficult for me to change, but I'm glad I did. The Volvo XC-60 sits higher up, is more comfortable, and has the hands-free feature for my Blackberry phone. I am used to having more power, though. My commute is 40 minutes each way every day, so to save gas, I didn't get the Turbo version. I don't like the open area under the center console. The flip down back headrests are a nice feature for visibility and it is easy to put the seats down for loading large items. I feel safe in this car and as an older lady, who would heal a bit slower than younger people, I'm glad I made the change. I've owned the car about a month and put 1200 miles on it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo XC60 near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for