1999 Volvo V70

7.1

Based on 191 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

Simple, perfect

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"In my opinion, this is the perfect car! Why? I am a handy man type and this is a simple and easy car to work on. It has so many fans, reliable information and parts are easy to source. 14 years old and never let me down. Sure, it needs parts and such, but all cars do. As I said, never let me down. Wish list? My non turbo feels under powered. Not horribly, but I wish it had some more umph. When the suspension expires, it goes from great to ok to horrible in a hurry. Perspective, I have 170K on parts made for 100K. Upon a refresh ($650 parts, I do the labor) its like a new car. Amazing finish. Looks like new. Interior? 14 years, no garage, NC sun, leather is looking a little beat. Not bad, but getting a little aged. It is more fun to drive than newer AWD versions, which feel really heavy and have comparably huge turning radius. Seriously folks, you can pick up a decent 98 for less than 3 grand. Are you kidding me? I've got kids and a dog, plenty of space. Six feet of level area with the seats down. I've slept in her plenty of times. Throw into winter mode in the slush and ice, and she's like a truck."

Love the car, bought it used only had 1 owner safe

By on Friday, December 7, 2012

Pros: "safe, reliable, comfortable, cheap, great engine"

Cons: "boxy, expensive fixes especially if its electrical"

"Recently got in bad accident this car is a tank!!! The other car was a plastic Hyundai that was totaled..This car is fine besides some damage to the front light!! I was fine. Very reliable, just have to watch the upkeep. Great brakes, leather interior is awesome, sun roof, heated seats, wonderful hope to have it for a very long time!!"

Many problems - very expensive

By on Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Bought the car used (98 V70 GLT) with 122,000 miles and it was about 8 years old. Thought it was OK since the CarFax report showed the change of ownership indicated that the bulk of the milage had only happened in the past 2-3 years which seemed to indicate a lot of highway miles. Long story short- the car is very comfortable but I had 2 main issues with it. Poor gas milage around town (15 mpg) although I did get 25 on highway. Yes, I had tuned up and filters changed etc. I expected more from a 5 cyl. car. - Then there were the repairs, everything from major engine work to the headlight on/ off switch. Thank goodness I had a private mechanic that softened the labor blow. Volvo parts are expensive and many parts even required a wait. Sensor and check engine lights were constantly coming on, also ABS and traction control. I have car serviced for oil every 3-4K, so I know that it was not routine maint. problem. - I am sure if I had bought new and only leased for 3 years or traded in then I would have had a different experience, but I could only afford used and I am sad to say that I had a very disappointing experience. That is really sad is I know someone who also bought the same year and model used and is having a similarly bad experience (although I think mine was worse). Sad to say that I am turned off to Volvo and will never purchase another one, new or used. I just traded it in to buy a new vehicle and I literally limped it up to the dealership as I thought I might have to have it towed in!"

Dependable; excellent handling; excellent fuel eco

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "Secure, economical to operate, excellent handling."

Cons: "They don't make this size engine anymore."

"Been driving for 40+ years in hard MN Winters...this car is the best for winter snow and ice driving conditions...beats out trucks I've driven too. Easy to maintain for the not-so DIY; changing headlights, wipers, interior lights. Excellent owners manual, if you read it. HWY mileage, at 70 mph, varies between 26mpg (in winter at -15 below) to 32 mpg (50+ degrees). I've always changed the oil at 3-500-4,000 miles. It has a design flaw: 4 tie rods. The integrity of the paint- no rust, leather seats-no cracks, and knobs-no losses; after 13 years is super. I asked my insurance to replace the windshield after 150,000 (they did) - it was semi sand blasted from fine grit windshields get with high mileage, and when driving into a rising/setting sun the windshield would glare out. If I could find a low mileage one, and it cleared my test drive, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!"

Still Going Strong

By on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I bought this car used 10 years ago. At the time I paid $21,500. for the car. almost 1/2 the MSRP. I have driven this car with the help of a local non-dealer Volvo mechanic for 72,000 miles. I have had the regular maintanance performed, and except for a new air conditioning condensor ($1500.00) I have had not other issues with the car. For the 142 CID this high pressure turbo screams through rush hour traffic when needed. I'm never worried about having enough gitty-up to merge with traffic from a highway on ramp. I have often thought about a new car but this little paid for gem still is going strong. Long may you run."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo V70 near Honolulu. See local deals