1998 Volvo V70

7.0

Based on 188 Ratings for the 1998 - 2000 models.

7.4/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

I keep buying Volvos

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"99 V70 non-turbo. Bought 5 yrs ago with 39k, now has 130k. Have owned several Volvos - this has been a very good one - no electrical or mechanical gremlins on this car. Find a good, honest Volvo specialist-you will save lot$-dealer is almost as costly as for German makes. Stay on top of the regualar maint-newer models aren't like the old 240s that can be abused forever. Many who have not owned a newer series Volvo are expecting these cars to be like the old ones-they aren't! Have had best luck with those cars that fall lower in the trim/performance/complexity level for a given model. This car is the base model wagon, optioned up. Volvo wagons are fantastic flexible haulers. Has the best seats of any car - comfy for hours and plenty of room for a 6'4'' driver. Has never left me walking. Reasonably entertaining to drive - tighter and stiffer than than 2001 and newer and if you keep the revs up it will really go. Gets 22 mpg in daily mostly city driving. On hwy gets about 30 and has been as high as 35 on really long legs at 65-70 mph. Well engineered and well thought out, if you buy one that isn't problem-prone or a lemon it will serve well. Probably costs more to own than a Japanese car but there isn't much else out there in this size of car that has such a high level of comfort, utility, performance and economy."

Simple, perfect

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"In my opinion, this is the perfect car! Why? I am a handy man type and this is a simple and easy car to work on. It has so many fans, reliable information and parts are easy to source. 14 years old and never let me down. Sure, it needs parts and such, but all cars do. As I said, never let me down. Wish list? My non turbo feels under powered. Not horribly, but I wish it had some more umph. When the suspension expires, it goes from great to ok to horrible in a hurry. Perspective, I have 170K on parts made for 100K. Upon a refresh ($650 parts, I do the labor) its like a new car. Amazing finish. Looks like new. Interior? 14 years, no garage, NC sun, leather is looking a little beat. Not bad, but getting a little aged. It is more fun to drive than newer AWD versions, which feel really heavy and have comparably huge turning radius. Seriously folks, you can pick up a decent 98 for less than 3 grand. Are you kidding me? I've got kids and a dog, plenty of space. Six feet of level area with the seats down. I've slept in her plenty of times. Throw into winter mode in the slush and ice, and she's like a truck."

Love the car, bought it used only had 1 owner safe

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "safe, reliable, comfortable, cheap, great engine"

Cons: "boxy, expensive fixes especially if its electrical"

"Recently got in bad accident this car is a tank!!! The other car was a plastic Hyundai that was totaled..This car is fine besides some damage to the front light!! I was fine. Very reliable, just have to watch the upkeep. Great brakes, leather interior is awesome, sun roof, heated seats, wonderful hope to have it for a very long time!!"

Many problems - very expensive

By on Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Bought the car used (98 V70 GLT) with 122,000 miles and it was about 8 years old. Thought it was OK since the CarFax report showed the change of ownership indicated that the bulk of the milage had only happened in the past 2-3 years which seemed to indicate a lot of highway miles. Long story short- the car is very comfortable but I had 2 main issues with it. Poor gas milage around town (15 mpg) although I did get 25 on highway. Yes, I had tuned up and filters changed etc. I expected more from a 5 cyl. car. - Then there were the repairs, everything from major engine work to the headlight on/ off switch. Thank goodness I had a private mechanic that softened the labor blow. Volvo parts are expensive and many parts even required a wait. Sensor and check engine lights were constantly coming on, also ABS and traction control. I have car serviced for oil every 3-4K, so I know that it was not routine maint. problem. - I am sure if I had bought new and only leased for 3 years or traded in then I would have had a different experience, but I could only afford used and I am sad to say that I had a very disappointing experience. That is really sad is I know someone who also bought the same year and model used and is having a similarly bad experience (although I think mine was worse). Sad to say that I am turned off to Volvo and will never purchase another one, new or used. I just traded it in to buy a new vehicle and I literally limped it up to the dealership as I thought I might have to have it towed in!"

Still Going Strong

By on Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I bought this car used 10 years ago. At the time I paid $21,500. for the car. almost 1/2 the MSRP. I have driven this car with the help of a local non-dealer Volvo mechanic for 72,000 miles. I have had the regular maintanance performed, and except for a new air conditioning condensor ($1500.00) I have had not other issues with the car. For the 142 CID this high pressure turbo screams through rush hour traffic when needed. I'm never worried about having enough gitty-up to merge with traffic from a highway on ramp. I have often thought about a new car but this little paid for gem still is going strong. Long may you run."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo V70 near Honolulu. See local deals