2004 Volvo V40

7.4

Based on 59 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

7.6/10

Nice car, but VERY expensive to maintain

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, powerful for a 1.9L"

Cons: "$$$ Maintanence, bad mechanical"

"So I bought this car in July and it had 123K on it, timing belt done, new cv axles, main seals and top end seals replaced, so I thought I was getting a great deal for $3000. BUT I have put around $2500 into it over the past 6 months. It ran well for a few months, and then it threw a check engine light (CEL) code for the temperature sensor. We cleared the code to see if it would come back on and then the radiator cracked. I figured this was just bad luck and it ended up costing $600 for the temperature sensor, radiator, and thermostat plus labor. A month or so later, I went to start it, turned the key all the way on and nothing happened. It didn't try to turnover, everything was working, so I figured the battery was dead. I tried it one last time, and it started normally but threw another CEL. It threw an ignition CEL. I still haven't fixed this because it only happens once every few weeks. Battery, terminals, and wires are great. The mechanic thinks its the antenna key (recognizes the key for the security system). Next a few months later, I go to warm it up on a cold morning and it starts and idles very rough until it's warm and throws another CEL. Now it's a misfire code, so I replace both coils (luckily still under 1 yr warranty). It runs good for a few weeks, and then I hear a knocking radomly in the suspension but not everytime I go over a bump so it's not a blown shock. It's the anti-roll bar and the the lower part of the bushing is gone so it was knocking on the subframe. Additionally, the right front shock was starting to go (could hear it knock over speed bumps). Well the strut assembly is ridiculous on this car, it needs special "spring seats" with the new shocks. So the total with the anti-roll bar bushings, two new shocks, and the spring seats was around $620 (w/o labor). To avoid labor costs, I changed the struts myself (had pulled my 1989 Nissan 240sx engine apart twice, and made a couple suspension modifications a few years back). The anti-roll bar bushings are in the dumbest locations that it takes 2 hours (quoted by the mechanic) to change, I didn't bother. I just shot some windshield seelant under the anti-roll bar when changing the struts; still working for 2000 miles. My Nissan 240sx anti-roll bar bushings would've taken me 30 minutes to replace at most. The bushings are extremely bad designs as well. My Nissan 240sx and most other cars have a one piece, rubber bushing that have a slit in them to get over the bar. The V40's are two pieces that are held together by little clips and to keep the bottom part from sliding, there are opposing knotches in the rubber bushing; so if those knotches wear down, oops, there goes the bottom part of the bushing (what had happened to me). Just after I finished the struts, the CEL comes on when I'm driving. It's the misfire code again! So now, 6 months after I bought the car @ 130K, I'm replacing the spark plugs ($60 with labor) and hoping it's those. Furthermore, there has been a kind of grinding noise developing. It turns out the bearing on the alternator has gone out and the pulley is grinding into the alternator. So for $400 (with labor), I have to replace the alternator ($175) and the serpentine belt (which is $40!). In conclusion, this car is comfortable, relatively powerful, roomy, and looks good for a Volvo. But, it is a low end Volvo, poorly designed, and from what my Volvo mechanic says, was rushed out the door. It is a nice car, but has many issues that were never worked out and very expensive to maintain."

Expensive maintenance

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"I've had the V40 for 7 1/2 years, but only have 60,000 miles on it. I'm replacing brake pads every six months, and the brakes are noisy the rest of the time. The transmission is going out and will need to be replaced within a year (by the next owner). The vent system acts very erratically (sudden blasts of air). Speaker grill on the passenger door didn't survive the kids. The gas mileage could be better too. This is the first automatic I've ever owned, and I can't believe how fast the car has worn out. I'm a gentle driver and its never been in a collision or accident of any kind. Its a cute, solid car, but I wouldn't buy one again."

Lots of expensive maintenance.

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

"We've owned this car for four years and have spent well over $4000 on constant but minor repairs. There seeems to be something consistantly wrong with the car. I'm pretty handy and have been able to repair some of the small stuff, but I cant keep up. We drive our cars for a long time, and this one has cost us more than the last four combined. Right now its idling so rough that it rattles at stops (after a $900 tune up 2 months ago) and the headight housings are loose in thier mounts (with no way to tighten them) so we are constanly replacing the headlight bulbs from the bouncing. Seems mechanically cheap.."

Great all around ride

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "great value, safety"

Cons: "not very sexy"

"Best car I've ever owned. Works like a truck. Plenty of room in the back. Fun to drive - has some pep even on the highway. Nothing but routine maintenance in the 10 yrs I've owned it."

very reliable

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I bought this car new and have owned it since 2000. Never had a major problem. There are some minor things that keep going bad like the headlights & taillights keep going out, the cupholder broke, etc. The window controls are in the worst spot, too. Other than that, I can't say a bad thing about it. I had a VW before this and that car broke every other week. I have 120k miles on this one and it still runs like a champ. I would definitely buy another volvo in the future."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo V40 near Honolulu. See local deals