2002 Volvo V40

7.4

Based on 59 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

7.6/10

Expensive maintenance

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"I've had the V40 for 7 1/2 years, but only have 60,000 miles on it. I'm replacing brake pads every six months, and the brakes are noisy the rest of the time. The transmission is going out and will need to be replaced within a year (by the next owner). The vent system acts very erratically (sudden blasts of air). Speaker grill on the passenger door didn't survive the kids. The gas mileage could be better too. This is the first automatic I've ever owned, and I can't believe how fast the car has worn out. I'm a gentle driver and its never been in a collision or accident of any kind. Its a cute, solid car, but I wouldn't buy one again."

Lots of expensive maintenance.

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

"We've owned this car for four years and have spent well over $4000 on constant but minor repairs. There seeems to be something consistantly wrong with the car. I'm pretty handy and have been able to repair some of the small stuff, but I cant keep up. We drive our cars for a long time, and this one has cost us more than the last four combined. Right now its idling so rough that it rattles at stops (after a $900 tune up 2 months ago) and the headight housings are loose in thier mounts (with no way to tighten them) so we are constanly replacing the headlight bulbs from the bouncing. Seems mechanically cheap.."

very reliable

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I bought this car new and have owned it since 2000. Never had a major problem. There are some minor things that keep going bad like the headlights & taillights keep going out, the cupholder broke, etc. The window controls are in the worst spot, too. Other than that, I can't say a bad thing about it. I had a VW before this and that car broke every other week. I have 120k miles on this one and it still runs like a champ. I would definitely buy another volvo in the future."

Pesky problems

By on Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I bought this vehicle new in 2000 and have driven it ever since. No kids. Three dogs. One spouse & 116,000 miles. A zippy and fun drive. Really comfortable - have happily napped in tilt-back seats in driveway after a very long day. Problems are the afore-mentioned cup holder (I no longer use mine and have not had it repaired), motor mounts needed replacing, headlamps burn out frequently and are difficult to replace, parts are expensive, and of all things, the sun roof (which got very little use) started clanking somewhere up inside its sleeve and must be repaired to the tune of $700.00. All in all, I like my car and can throw lots of stuff in the back; however, since these irritating problems continue to crop up, I am looking at replacement."

Reliable but full of quirks

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"it has always been a reliable car but has enough quirks to ward you off... needed a recall for brake vacuum assist--now car has uneven braking feel. Never failed, but when I mentioned to the dealer, response was "yep, that's a V40". Cup holder in console breaks easily and is expensive to repair. But the car is incredibly comfortable--smooth riding but not "sloshy". After 11 hour drives I don't feel tired--very comfortable seats. So what to make of that? you decide. Note: this was a first venture by the Ford acquired Volvo to share platforms with another in Ford's portfolio--Mazda, I think. Also note that the V40 was completely redesigned to the V50 after only 5 years in production--that's unusual for a Volvo. The V70 was redesigned this year after a decade run of only minor updates."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo V40 near Honolulu. See local deals