2001 Volvo V40

7.4

Based on 60 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

7.6/10

Reliable but full of quirks

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"it has always been a reliable car but has enough quirks to ward you off... needed a recall for brake vacuum assist--now car has uneven braking feel. Never failed, but when I mentioned to the dealer, response was "yep, that's a V40". Cup holder in console breaks easily and is expensive to repair. But the car is incredibly comfortable--smooth riding but not "sloshy". After 11 hour drives I don't feel tired--very comfortable seats. So what to make of that? you decide. Note: this was a first venture by the Ford acquired Volvo to share platforms with another in Ford's portfolio--Mazda, I think. Also note that the V40 was completely redesigned to the V50 after only 5 years in production--that's unusual for a Volvo. The V70 was redesigned this year after a decade run of only minor updates."

By on Saturday, September 18, 2010

"We've had our V-40 for over 5 years and it's been very reliable. It gets geat gas milage and even though it's small, it very comfortable. When the turbo kick in, it's gone."

Good family car

By on Sunday, February 7, 2010

"We bought one for my wife who loved it. It's reeeealy easy to drive - automatic everything. She's towed our daughter and all her junk around in it for 5 years. Spilt soda, crackers, etc on everything. The seats and console are easy to clean and held up pretty well considering. The turbo went out at about 100k mi. Mechanic said because we didn't change the oil soon enough. That was expensive. Later a plastic radiator fitting broke and dumped all the coolant. Watch out for that!"

Dont Buy, Keep Looking

By on Thursday, January 8, 2009

"I bought this vehicle because alot of people said they were good cars. Not this one! It only has 60000 miles and the axle, struts, tie rods and few other things already need replacing. The parts are expensive to. Maybe I got a lemon??? If I were you I would keep looking."

Good car

By on Saturday, August 2, 2008

"I've had my 01 v-40 for 4 years. I've put about 85K miles on it since I've had it (I drive a lot for work) - and what's more, I bought it with 65K miles already on it! Note on previous review: the rear seats DO fold flat - you first have to flip the back seat cushion up towards the front, then fold the back seat rest down flat (read the owner's manual - the directions are right there). The sunroof/moonroof is 8 years old and still works perfectly and I use it every day - now that's saying something. The stereo still sounds great. The V40 is very quick, responsive and VERY, VERY, VERY comfortable on the freeway. The front seats are some of the most supportive I have ever felt. I always look forward to getting back in this car after driving a rental. Yup, I'll miss this car when I finally get rid of it. When it was in like new condition it received nice compliments all the time. Downsides: small backseat, silly front cupholder (which was redesigned in 2002/2003). drive safe!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo V40 near Honolulu. See local deals