2001 Volvo V40

7.3

Based on 58 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

7.6/10

Great at first and now won't start….

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Was a good car at first"

Cons: "Became a bad car as the miles added up"

"I have had this car for around 3.5 years now and I loved it at first. It was very reliable and a smooth ride, however the older it has gotten the more and more it is in the shop and I am out of a car. This past year has been the worst for my car and I have put thousands of dollars into a car that is just not worth it. It has died on me in the middle of the road before and had major oil leakage issues and now my alternator just went. However, it is an older car with lots of miles so I guess I can understand. I would recommend staying away from this car now unless you can get one with little mileage on it because apparently once the miles add up the car just dies or is in need of constant repair. I am looking for a new car now and am learning towards an Acura."

Repair Bills are High

By on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pros: "reliable, good gas milage"

Cons: "repair bills, parts no longer being made"

"I bought my 2000 V40, from someone who was not honest in what the car need, slowly making the repairs and it is wel worth it. on the high way I get 37 mpg, the turbo is fun! and for some one who is 6'1 fit realy well inside, it may not be for every, try it you might like it!"

Loved it while it was good!

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "good on gas, fast, and spacious."

Cons: "Expensive repairs, and often troublesom"

"When I first got my v40 I was in love. I paid $3,800 for it last year and So far I have mad about $4,000 dollars in repairs. once you fix one thing, another goes wrong. Its a lovely car to drive when its in good condition or before it starts giving trouble. it is luxurious though, so repairs are NOT cheap!"

Very good overall buy

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Price was good, great power, leather seats"

Cons: "Car was on smaller size"

"THe car has lasted 11 years to date and has not had any major repair requirements. I have used this car for many things and it has been great. THe power has worked great especially getting onto highways The only negative commment is size of car - not a problem -but on the smaller size and got used to it I will look at volvos again when i need my next car"

Nice car, but VERY expensive to maintain

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, powerful for a 1.9L"

Cons: "$$$ Maintanence, bad mechanical"

"So I bought this car in July and it had 123K on it, timing belt done, new cv axles, main seals and top end seals replaced, so I thought I was getting a great deal for $3000. BUT I have put around $2500 into it over the past 6 months. It ran well for a few months, and then it threw a check engine light (CEL) code for the temperature sensor. We cleared the code to see if it would come back on and then the radiator cracked. I figured this was just bad luck and it ended up costing $600 for the temperature sensor, radiator, and thermostat plus labor. A month or so later, I went to start it, turned the key all the way on and nothing happened. It didn't try to turnover, everything was working, so I figured the battery was dead. I tried it one last time, and it started normally but threw another CEL. It threw an ignition CEL. I still haven't fixed this because it only happens once every few weeks. Battery, terminals, and wires are great. The mechanic thinks its the antenna key (recognizes the key for the security system). Next a few months later, I go to warm it up on a cold morning and it starts and idles very rough until it's warm and throws another CEL. Now it's a misfire code, so I replace both coils (luckily still under 1 yr warranty). It runs good for a few weeks, and then I hear a knocking radomly in the suspension but not everytime I go over a bump so it's not a blown shock. It's the anti-roll bar and the the lower part of the bushing is gone so it was knocking on the subframe. Additionally, the right front shock was starting to go (could hear it knock over speed bumps). Well the strut assembly is ridiculous on this car, it needs special "spring seats" with the new shocks. So the total with the anti-roll bar bushings, two new shocks, and the spring seats was around $620 (w/o labor). To avoid labor costs, I changed the struts myself (had pulled my 1989 Nissan 240sx engine apart twice, and made a couple suspension modifications a few years back). The anti-roll bar bushings are in the dumbest locations that it takes 2 hours (quoted by the mechanic) to change, I didn't bother. I just shot some windshield seelant under the anti-roll bar when changing the struts; still working for 2000 miles. My Nissan 240sx anti-roll bar bushings would've taken me 30 minutes to replace at most. The bushings are extremely bad designs as well. My Nissan 240sx and most other cars have a one piece, rubber bushing that have a slit in them to get over the bar. The V40's are two pieces that are held together by little clips and to keep the bottom part from sliding, there are opposing knotches in the rubber bushing; so if those knotches wear down, oops, there goes the bottom part of the bushing (what had happened to me). Just after I finished the struts, the CEL comes on when I'm driving. It's the misfire code again! So now, 6 months after I bought the car @ 130K, I'm replacing the spark plugs ($60 with labor) and hoping it's those. Furthermore, there has been a kind of grinding noise developing. It turns out the bearing on the alternator has gone out and the pulley is grinding into the alternator. So for $400 (with labor), I have to replace the alternator ($175) and the serpentine belt (which is $40!). In conclusion, this car is comfortable, relatively powerful, roomy, and looks good for a Volvo. But, it is a low end Volvo, poorly designed, and from what my Volvo mechanic says, was rushed out the door. It is a nice car, but has many issues that were never worked out and very expensive to maintain."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volvo V40 near Honolulu. See local deals