2015 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $37,664 - $39,351.

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Used '01 S80

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I bought this car with 65K on it for 12,000. It had bad struts and needed new tires which I knew going in to the deal. With those items fixed it has been a fabulous car, reliable and excellent for road trips. 3 adults of medium size fit comfortably in the back. My only major complaint it the turning radius. I was used to my '83 Volvo DL and was completely spoiled. The S80 has a terrible turning radius. Would I buy this car again - yes but I like the newer models better."

Very Solid Car

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Smooth Ride, Decent Mileage, Comfortable Interior"

Cons: "Repairs at the dealership are can get expensive"

"I purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 about five years back with miles. It replaced a 1994 Volvo 850 SE 2.5 with over 190k miles on it. Around this same time I began commuting more than 500 miles/week for work so it was important to have another practical and comfortable vehicle. The S80 certainly excels in both of these categories. Needless to say, I have had very good luck with this car. It has consistently delivered a smooth and quiet ride day after day. The interior of the car is very well designed and functional. Admittedly I do use mid-grade gas, change the oil religiously with full synthetic and flush the coolant and transmission regularly, which probably added to its reliability. At 100k miles I replaced timing belt, drive belt, water pump, etc. which was a bit costly. Other than that, issues have been limited to slightly broken/worn trim pieces and necessary suspension/front end repairs (mostly due to very rough New England roads). Fuel economy averages at 27 MPG which is not terrible (much better than what it's rated for). Certainly better suited for highway driving but fine on rural roads and in the city. For a FWD its surprisingly good in snowy conditions with the right tires. Compared to other cars in its class from 2000, I feel the S80 is still fairly stylish and modern looking. I would certainly recommend this vehicle, or any other Volvo I've driven, to anyone looking for a very solid car."

Most expensive and unreliable ever

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Cost to repair is unreasonably high and you can be sure that there will be something wrong with this vehicle every it goes in for an oil change or mileage service service. This vehicle has a new transmission, new computers, front end suspension, two alternators, motor mounts and many more parts and now it needs the oxygen sensor replace at 4 x $400.00 each = $1600.00 Parts are approx 80.00 each Lots of labor"

Very comfortable reliable and safe ride.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, very reliable, good for all weather"

Cons: "Interior design lacks many bells and whistles"

"Bought my car in 2004 and drove it every single day since. At 121 K miles, the car still brand new and drives like that too. Unlike other cars that start to rust and fall apart, this car is very well made. The drive is fun, powerful and steady. I will buy another Volvo in the future. For now I am trading it for a SUV due to family lifestyle reasons."

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."