2015 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $37,127 - $38,828.

7.2

Based on 314 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Lacks trunk room due to refrigerator. Excellent.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, Safety, Fridge, Entertainment"

Cons: "Trunk space, value loss, upkeep costs"

"The only complaint I have with the car is the limited trunk room due to the refrigerator. I broke my spine several times and this is one of the few vehicles I am comfortable in. With single cd in the dash and a ten disk CD player behind the wheel well in the trunk the premium sound system is pretty much unlimited. It has dual remote controls, front and back for the stereo, CD, CD changer, scanning TV, DVD entertainment system selections and control. There is a locking table for your laptop that is locked to the table. There are only four seats due to the full length burl wood center console, but worked fine for me. Excellent acceleration from still to highway speeds with the twin turbos. This car has literally been from coast to coast, Miami,FL to Eureka, CA and Colorado cold to Texas heat. It is extremely comfortable and very safe. Maintenance and repairs at the dealer are expensive. The car does not hold its value as well as other vehicles in its original price range. But for something unique that you want to keep, this is a good candidate."

29 mpg highway, very reliable

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Cons: "Chinese car company now"

"Original owner after 118000. 29 mpg highway. Very comfortable after long drives to Fl. Only had 1 repair (angle gear) early on and nothing since. A/C cools the car fast, heats up in the winter quickly, heated seats are the best I ever had. I was ready to buy another but too bad Volvo is now owned by the Chinese. I am very concerned about quality."

Still looks new. Get compliments on cleanliness

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "appearance--great pickup--5 cylinder better than 6"

Cons: "transmission--cooling system--engine problems"

"Transmission failed at 65K miles. Replaced radiator at 30K Replaced "mass air flow sensor" at 68K miles. People say you can drive this car for 200K miles. Not so! Car gets scheduled service at Volvo dealer. Great winter car. Transmission has W setting for snow--keeps you in third gear."

Love it and hate it

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and definitely enjoyed the luxury."

Cons: "To many small but expensive mechanical failures."

"This 2000 Volvo S-80 T6 is a fun luxury car that has all the bells and whistles. It drives like a sports car. The powerful 6 cylinder twin turbo engine has as much pep as a V8 engine in a similar size car. There are luxury features such as heated memory power seats for both driver and front passenger. It has a nifty trip computer, for fuel economy and current mpg. Leather seats and power sliding sun roof. It even has wipers for the headlights. The not so good things are that it has given me lots of headaches. It seems that just as I get finished making one repair another problem pops up. It's not the engine, that runs beautifully, Over the 2.5 years that I have owned this car, I have replaced the timing belt(as scheduled maintenance item not a mechanical failure), alternator, radiator, numerous leaking hoses. I still like the car, just not the expense that it is to own it. You have to be able to appreciate Volvo for making a great car but I think they were still trying to get all the bugs out of this new model that was only on the market since 1999. I've owned 2 Volvo's & this one has been fun to drive and enjoy, but hated it when so often something would go wrong. So if you don't mind the price of expensive minor repairs, you can enjoy a nice used luxury car for a low initial purchase price, when you consider this is Volvo's flagship luxury car. Today they run in the upper 40 K's to purchase brand new."

Very dependable & comfortable vehicle.

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Handles well; quiet; fuel efficient"

Cons: "lights burn out frequently"

"We have owned our Volvo S80 since it was new. It has been a very comfortable & dependable car. Paint has held up very well and I am amazed at the hits the windshield has taken and not been damaged. Build quality and mechanical items have been relatively trouble free. Now that the vehicle is getting some age on it, I believe the electronics are beginning falter. My biggest complaint has been that the lights frequently burn out. Volvo designs the car to have the lights on 100% of the time the engine is running so they are always on. LED headlights and "position" lights would eliminate this complaint but their use was limited in 2004. I have no intention of replacing this car anytime soon."

Love this car! Solid reliable car!

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "fast, durable, safe, fun to drive, good MPG"

Cons: "none!"

"I have really loved this car! I had this car and ended up getting a really bad accident where we were hit by a car and this car was so solid and protective. Probably one of the things i love most about this car is how safe you are in them. But i also love how it drives so I ended up buying another one. This car is awesome especially with the turbo in it. Driving on trips is so nice going up hills or passing other cars cuz the turbo gives it the power it needs but it is still pretty decent on gas due to the 5 cylinders."

Had car for about 6 months

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

"I love driving it , fast and so pretty.So far no problems"

Very good car.. I love the 268hp with the turbo..

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Everything is GREAT"

Cons: "NO cons"

"Very good car.. I love the 268hp with the turbo.."

I love this car and can't find a replacement.

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "A large car, but fun to drive and great utility."

Cons: "Repairs can be pricey, as most parts are Volvo."

"I've owned this car since new. In addition to being very stylish (still looks good after 12 years) it's still as peppy as a teenager. In addition, I have used it as a truck to carry lumber inside (the rear seats fold down) up to 10 feet long. I've looked at others and found that to replace the features to which I've become accustomed would cost me more than I'm willing to pay at this point."

Happy with my S80 T-6

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"Happy with my S80 T-6 2002 is stylish, safe, fast, has everything good my volvo is 2002 and when parking in a parking lot next to a luxury car of the year my Volvo S80 T-6 on sale because originality is a design truck only well thought out. I give maintenance however, also the timing belt and other parts to run well with 124,000 miles is excellent. in the future I'll buy another 2006 t-6 knowing where to buy the parts and having a good mecanido your sevice and maintenance can go cheap"

2004 volvo s80

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"people its the most comfortable car i have ever had no back pain its driving very well powerful car and gr8 to drive, i mean i drove alot of cars but this one is just amazing, 2004 Volvo s80"

Fair gas mileage, lots of problems

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, safety features, comfortable car,"

Cons: "mechanical problems galore - stay away!"

"Alternator went out, started having transmission issues at 120k, had suspension issues throughout the lifetime of the car, engine mount brackets always cracked, struts and ball joints constantly needed to be replaced because they were made with plastic components, etc. The Electric Throttle Control module went out at 190,000 and car went into limp home mode. Safe car but has a ton of problems."

I like this car

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "fuel mileage, comfort, great road car"

Cons: "cup holder was a bit under designed on this model."

"Excellent gas mileage, great comfort on trips, plenty of power, reliable, never a minutes trouble. I added grooved/drilled rotors front and rear at brake change time, and special brake pads to hold down dust but with great braking ability. Has had all regular required maintenance performed using Mobile 1 Synthetic oil 20w50. I was an engine builder for 20 yrs and know what it takes to keep one in ready to go condition. It has been garaged since new, never wrecked nor smoked in . Darryl Waltrip personally drove it to Florida on 2 occasions prior to my purchasing the car from his dealership November 2004."

Super Comfy, power and quiet and great Volvo!

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable. 29mpg on highway even w/T-6."

Cons: "Likes TLC - not cheap but worth it..."

"Have had since 2004. Almost traded it in but kept and am I glad I did. Can't find anything as comfortable and as nice. If you take care of it, it takes care of you. Easy to take care of yourself if you want and I think it will keep going and going forever."

Love, love, love my Volvo S80.

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Great handling car with lots of power!"

Cons: "No close dealership to have car serviced."

"My S80 is a great car, easy to handle once you get use to the power. I have own this car since 08/2004. It is beautiful. I get at least 20 miles to a gallon in the city driving. This car is great on road trips. Never had any problems. I do have it serviced as scheduled. Two concerns. First, the phone system was removed (analog) but they left the hand piece which made no sense to me. Second, I always have my car serviced at the dealership, but I have had two dealers to close. So I must travel farther each time to a Volvo dealership. I pray the third dealership does not close. I want to purchase another Volvo but I like the connivence of doing business close to home. I also owned a 1990 240 DL. loved that Volvo as well. The Volvo staff I have worked with are all outstanding service providers. Again. I love my Volvo!"

Very comfortable reliable and safe ride.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, very reliable, good for all weather"

Cons: "Interior design lacks many bells and whistles"

"Bought my car in 2004 and drove it every single day since. At 121 K miles, the car still brand new and drives like that too. Unlike other cars that start to rust and fall apart, this car is very well made. The drive is fun, powerful and steady. I will buy another Volvo in the future. For now I am trading it for a SUV due to family lifestyle reasons."

My 2002 Volvo Is The Best Car I've Ever Owned.

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks beautiful, the price was great"

Cons: "None has everything you would want in a vehicle!"

"The car has been to Ohio, New York and Florida. Along the way on each trip, no problems, and the ride is like riding on cloud 9. The leather is Luxurious, like riding on a comfortable couch! The wood grain trimmings put the icing on the cake. The cabin is so quite which allows me to listen to my music on one of the best systems ever! While riding in the summer heat the ice cold air condition unit has never let me down. Mileage on the highway is awesome, not bad around town as well. I Love my Volvo!!"

Great Car, Don't buy to save money

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Bad Gas Mileage"

"I bought this car as my first car, very reliable and sturdy car. It is fun to drive because and has great acceleration, and it has great safety features. But this car gets pretty bad gas mileage, especially if you do not drive often on the highway. Great car if you don't mind 17 miles to the gallon."

One great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Wonderful"

Cons: "None, really!"

"I have owned a lot of vehicles and 3 Volvo's plus this one . I pruchased this T6- top of the line with just over 200.000 miles and I would do it all over again. This is the top of the top of the live vehicle in my opinion. I have found it hard to find one wirh rust. They sure know how to make a real car."

One great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Wonderful"

Cons: "None, really!"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."

worst car I ever owned in 44 years

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "fun and confortable to drive. good looking car"

Cons: "bad transmissions/expensive repairs"

"This car eats transmissions! Transmission went out at 80K. Took the car to a certified Volvo repair shop 4 times trying to rebuild the transmission, only to have it break down again within 2 to 4 days. One time it blew gaskets and leaked transmission fluid all over my garage floor and had to be towed from my garage back to repair shop. Finally, on the 5th time trying to fix the problem the repair facility put in a used transmission from a wreaked 30K mile S80, since a brand new one is way to costly for most of us. That transmission lasted 30K miles and broke down just before I was going to have the transmission serviced. It now sets in my garage with a bad transmission deciding what to do with it. Don't waste your hard earned money on a Volvo. Expensive repairs and very unreliable."

Best I've owned

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Very pleasant luxury ride with great reliability."

Cons: "Don't have any."

"This car has been reliable and continues to supply excellent service. At this mileage it rides as well as when I bought it with 46,000 miles. The only repairs besides normal maintenance have been the emergency brake. Exhaust system is still original. Have replaced the rear struts, but after 200+K expected much worse."