• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2008 Volvo S80

9.3

Based on 93 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Keeping this until it dies

By on Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Bought the vehicles for city driving after it served as a dealer service loaner with 5k miles. It has not disappointed me. My second Volvo, plan on keeping this one until it dies. Now with 41,000 miles, bought tires, done basic service, but no major problems, service, or recalls. I gave Performance "4 stars" for "good", but the 3.2 I bought is perfect for my driving habits. It is not about performance for me. That is why they make a turbo. Drives great in snow, ice, rain, and dry conditions. Love the BLIS (blind spot warning lights) in traffic. The climate package and rubber floor mats are a must for northern climates. Gas mileage has been 17mpg in city, 25 on highway, but 30 if I drive 65mph. Great basic stereo. I rear ended a SUV at idle speed and suffered a minimal surface scratch to the front end. The SUV needed $1,100 in repairs. Negatives: For a family of five, wish it had more interior and trunk room on longer road trips. But that's not why we bought it. I would recommend the '08 S80!"

By on Wednesday, March 09, 2011

By on Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Handles wet roads like a dream. Milage is good for a all wheel drive, handle the road well and goes over the steep grades like they were not there."

One great car.

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Great style. Awesome acceleration with the Yamaha V8. Owned it 3 years and have had to do nothing but oil changes and tires (of course)."

By on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

LOVE MY NEW VOLVO

By on Sunday, January 02, 2011

"FROM A LEXUS LUXURY SEDAN INTO THIS SWEDISH SPENDOR. DRIVES LIKE A BENTLY, COMFORT OF A MAYBACH, PERFORMANCE OF A PORSCHE. I LOVE THIS CAR AND EVERY ONE OF ITS FEATURES, DEPENDABILITY, NO PRESSURE SALES, PRICING, FEATURES, TECHNOLOGY AND SAFETY. BEST CAR FOR THE MONEY ON THE US MARKET."

By on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Awesome Vehicle!

By on Sunday, November 21, 2010

"Hands down an outstanding car! This is the third Volvo I have bought and is the best of the fleet that I now own. I have an 02 S60, 07 C70, and now a 2010 S80 and for the $$$ you pay, you get a whole lot vehicle. Especially in my case, as I purchased all mine while station in Germany as a member of the US military. You cannot go wrong by purchasing a Volvo, no matter which model you like. My only recommendation is, if you are buying one, take the factory delivery option and make a vacation of it. I guarantee you will not regret it."

Fantastic car

By on Thursday, November 18, 2010

"I've owned my S80 for two years and 28k miles without a single hiccup. I've also owned many Japanese and German vehicles. Nothing can touch an S80 for the money. The best part is that it costs almost $10,000 less than anything comparable."

Best all around vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"I have the S80 All Wheel Drive model with the Yamaha 4.4 V8 engine. It is extremely quick but at the same time has one of the most comfortable rides. Of course with 3 ride settings to choose from you can cruise in total comfort. Fit and finish is superb. I've had mine 2 years now and put around 30K on it with no problems. My wife keeps wanting to drive it! The growl of the exhaust turns heads but not noticeable in the cabin. The features are too numerous to list. Stickered over 57K! The more I drive it the more I like it. I live in the snow mountains of PA so I stuck some nice snow tires on it during the winter. It performed terrifically as long as I stayed within its proper ground clearance of snow. (Not uncommon to snow over a foot at a time here). If you cannot tell by now I'll spell it out: Love the performance and love the comfort. It's the best of both worlds."

By on Saturday, August 14, 2010

Great Value

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Without question the best value in it's class. I've owned or driven extensively most everything in this class. For the money; BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Jaguar, and Lexus can't touch the S80's overall ride, handling, styling, and reliability. All of these competitors are many thousands of dollars more. Good job Volvo."

'08 S80 V8 sport pkg

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"I recently purchased an '08 S80 V8 w/ 8K miles in silver w/ the sport pkg. MSRP was $54K , paid exactly 1/2. Traveled to DC area to buy it from a Volvo dealer who used the car a svc loaner, so technically it was used, but had all the books, window sticker, etc. Drove it back last month to NE Ohio; love the power, comfort and value! Was about to purchase a Jag XF or '09 Mecedes E350 Sport, but found this car instead. I like the fact that I seldom see any and having the extra power on-tap, but usually just cruising in it easy. I do wish it was somewhat smaller and lighter, but compared to the new Taurus SHO & MKS, it seems tiny. These are underated and great cars IMO and highly recommended, especially pre-owned."

Fantastic Car

By on Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Without doubt the best automobile I've ever owned and I'm 55 years old."

By on Thursday, May 20, 2010

Love my S80

By on Monday, May 17, 2010

"I have an '09 3.2, black with tan leather. Love the looks , ride and comfort. Only problem was a failed power steering rack which is very unusual. These racks rarely go bad, if ever and mine must have had an undetected defect. Power is very good when you want it, especially on the highway when passing, stomp on the gas and it takes off! Around town the power is very reserved when you are light on the pedal, but from a stop if you are aggressive when pulling into traffic, the car takes off in a much more spirited manner, it flies! I have owned 5 other Volvos and this one is by far the best all around Volvo I have owned."

I love my S80

By on Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"I leased my S80 V8 with Sport package and I love it! They had an incredible deal on the 36 month lease which I just couldn't pass up. The power and growl of the V8 is spectacular. The AWD is good (not great) but with the addition of some decent all weather tires I had no problems even during one of the worst winters on record. The car is highly comfortable and allthough it doesn't have all the bells & whistle of a Lexus, that's not really a bad thing. I would personally never buy a Lexus or Mercedes anyway. I gave up my big Land Rover (which I also loved) for the S80 and I am really very happy. Dealer service is fantastic. Even though this car is much smaller than my old SUV I still feel very safe. This car is extremely solid and well made!"

By on Saturday, April 03, 2010

great car for the buck

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"I have owned this car for two years, no problems at all. I have had to take it in two times though, for software updates to to computer. A excellant car that is fun to drive, the T6 with twin turbo is spunky without over powering. The AWD goes quite well in the northern states winter weather. If the brand was not in danger I would recommend it with out question."

Quite Elegance

By on Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Clean lines inside and out. Interior is especially pleasing to the eye, the subtle lines of the dash, heck that's how I'd characterized the exterior as well. Love the Sandstone leather interior. Stereo (Dyaudio) is a winner w/ the USB connection. So far no concerns about quality. Engine is adequate; 3.2 L, ride is certainly comfortable. Clearly near luxury for less than its competitors."

DISAPPOINTING!

By on Sunday, February 21, 2010

"We've owned several Mercedes and BMW's before but this is our first Volvo. It will probably be the last. The car is extremely comfortable, but it's behind the competition in amenities. Dealer service is awful and the "limited" warranty covers little to nothing. Our car has squeaks, rattles, and parts falling off. Our dealers (we've taken it to 4) fix rattles and loose trim pieces with double sided sticky tape (an "approved Volvo repair method") which does not last, look attractive, or solve the problem. We've had numerous recalls, gone through three complete front suspension systems and the leather and switches are all fading and wearing poorly (and we treat our cars extremely well). The turning radius is awful ... makes parking in parking lots difficult. It is a very comfortable car, but we can't look past the poor quality and awful dealership experiences. They just can't compete with other German and Japanese brands. I don't think we'd buy another Volvo ever again."

Love My S80

By on Saturday, February 13, 2010

"This is my second S80. The comfort and reliability are second to none. I've owned many of it's competitors and find the S80 the best overall value. It was many thousands of dollars cheaper than the lexus, BMW, mercedes, and cadillac. Way to go Volvo."

It shows what a car supposed to be

By on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

"I own a 3.2 front wheel drive model, and it is a comfortable one to drive. Not just in driving... but the seats- I love the seats, the enviornment inside the cabin, and the entire feel of the car. It is not jello comfy as a caddie, nor as ambiant sensory deprivaton of the Lexus. It is a middle ground between the European stiffness and the comfort of the Japanese ones. The thing about this car is the 'wholeness' of the entire staying in the car, which means, it is a well balanced car for the pleasure of the driving experince, not just the speed and fun in turning wheels and feeling the G-force. You can experience that in, lets say... a sports car. Anyway, it is definitely not a sports sedan at least the 3.2 model,It does not have the acceleration power which the T6 and V8 model has, but it is adequate for most, and to me, all the driving. So if you want power pay about $4000 more and go for the T6. I saw reviews that the T6 is almost par with the V8 which is the ultimate model of the s80 line up. If you really want the epitome of Swedish automaking - well, not the super super one like Koeenigsegg etc. -go for the V8. It's just a lovely car and about $10K expensive. But it will be fun to own in my point of view. I added the optional BLIS system and it is quite a helpful one. And the catching the timing to change lanes is far less stressful. The last car I had was an SUV and I almost mowed this civic at night and I did not see it in the mirror!!! Consequently I got a chance to witness the expression of the other driver in sign language. I don't think it will happen when I ride the S80. The optional Audio is fantastic. If you like car surround system, it will please the ears You could expect 20~21Mpg city and highway combined. And It is a volvo, IIHS test approved, traditionally regarded to be the safest car maker. If there are things to mention unsatisfactory about the car, lack of compartment to carry stuff is one. The Lack of AWD for the 3.2 is another, a bigger Gas tank would have been good And what else... the navi sys could have been tweaked better. But the compament problem you can fold the back seat so, it will help. AWD if you want one the T6 carries it. Gas tank... fill frequently. I hope they make a larger one volvo if they can. The navi, 2 free upgrades that volvo give will do it. Well, basically this is a luxury sedan for a great price. Thanks for reading"

Best Car EVER

By on Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Got it brand new with all of the options, one of the best was the 12 speaker Dynaudio sound system super loud and great sound quality. The refrigerator was handy too and the 2 glasses that come with it are perfect for enjoying the moment. The rear seats are super comfortable, better than any Mercedes I've ever been in and the front seats as well. And it's a Volvo so you know that this car is safe, the Sport Package came in handy in terms of car handling as I drive to and from Big Bear CA and the rims are very very nice to look at. All of the intirior gadgets are easy to use and of good quality, though mabey Volvo could have another look at the navigation system just to bring it up to date. The navigation system is the same one used in an Aston Martin DBS which is, for those of you who don't know, James Bond's car. Well anyways the gas mpgs are on par with it's competition. Best Volvo Ever, which also means it's better than any Mercedes in this class."

Exceptional Value

By on Monday, November 16, 2009

"The best value in it's class. The 2007 used is $7000 cheaper than the 5 series BMW, mercedes E class, or cadillac CTS. 25000 miles and has never been in the shop except for oil changes. The comfort is second to none. I've owned mercedes and bmw and there is no comparison for what you get at this price point. It's much cheaper to maintain. I will be a loyal Volvo owner as long as they produce a vehicle this good."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next