• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2006 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

A joy to drive, expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, fun to drive, great gas mileage, even in the city"

Cons: "leather seats wear out and moon roof tends to rattle"

"We picked this vehicle up at the factory in Sweden and have had it for 11 years. It is smooth drive, very responsive and takes to the highway like a dream. It is however, expensive to maintain as parts and mechanics are not the easiest to find. The leather seats quickly wore out and we ended up with cloth covers to hide the wear and tear, and the moon roof rattles in high winds. This is probably because it is an older vehicle, but has put me off any kind of hole in the roof for future vehicles. The main reason we continue to hold onto this car is the mileage....this older, large car (it is considered a luxury vehicle in the insurance world)still manages to achieve over 26 miles to the gallon! Something that in any economy is worth the ownership. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a luxury vehicle that still gets great gas mileage."

Very Dependable

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my 1999 s80 for $3,500 with 132,000 on it a few years ago. I now have over 200,000 on it and have put very little money into it. The suspension finally needs to be replaced but I cant complain. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone I know."

A service nightmare with no end...

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Got this car from a deceased relative in 2006. Thought I had it made. 2 months later the transmission was gone and it cost me 3700. Less then a year after that had to have it replaced again. 4 years later and over $11,000 in repair bills, I have had enough."

2004 S80 AWD - BUY USED

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I purchased the car used 3 years ago with 48,000 miles from a local individual with all maintenance records. I paid 1/3 the original sticker price with every option Volvo offered. You get a lot of car for not a lot of money. I now have 85,000 miles registered, and I've driven the car from Mexico to Oregon in 100 degree weather to 3 feet of snow. The car is extremely comfortable, reliable, great gas mileage - for a large four door sedan (I drove the car from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ on a tank of gas), and handles superbly in winter conditions (AWD). I've replaced brakes, rotors, and tires, which is standard for any car (you can purchase all the OEM parts for half the price on ebay and have the Volvo dealership install them). I'm disappointed in the faux wood trim and cup holder, but that is my only complaint. My friends made jokes about me driving a Volvo, but after they drove the car from Southern California to Lake Tahoe for a ski trip, they all fell in love with it. Seats 4 comfortably with all your luggage. Dealer mechanic told me the AWD 2.5T was the best and most reliable engine in the S80 series."

Don't be deceived

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"This car may look appealing, but is heavy maintenance and questionable reliability. I'm having to ditch mine due to the ongoing issues. It has been a highly dissatisfactory experience to own a volvo, 2000 S80. I would not recommend this vehicle or a volvo to anyone. My wife was right, it's a piece of junk."

Comfortable, lots of room but unreliable

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"This car is in the shop all the time. I have never had a car that has more rattles, squeaks, or noises in general. There is a horrible grinding noise in one of the rear wheel wells when you make a turn and it has been to the shop many times for this. Finally, a Volvo dealer said that this was a "design defect" and they could not fiz it. This car had been in production multiple years before my 2002, how did Volvo not catch this? Do not buy this car unless you would like to be the most loyal customer at your local Volvo service department. On the positive side, the turbo is great and the gas mileage is good for a vehicle of this size/power."

2002 S80 2.9

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"The S80 is a smooth-riding almost-luxury sedan, on a par with a similar year's Lexus, Audi, etc. A little less sporty than a Saab, a little less prestigious than, say, a Mercedes (though the 2001-2003 Mercedes are notoriously bad cars). Very comfortable, very safe, very reliable. Cold AC with dedicated vents for the rear passengers, plenty of room front and back, nice driving position, intuitive control layout. Decent accelleration from the 2.9L engine, much nicer than and smoother all around than the S40. Also, I hate to disagree with Decky from Jax, but there are no GM parts on a Volvo. GM owns Saab. Ford is partnered with Volvo. Anyway, for the price at which you can now obtain a mid-mileage S80, I think they are a great value."

Fantastic Four

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I love this car! Have three kids and they all fit comfortably in the car. Smooth ride, great handling, strong engine and awesome gas mileage. I consistently avg 24 mpg between highway/city driving of 35%/65%. A minor vibration sound on front inside door panels occassionally due to their design is the only "quality" issue I had. Handles great in the snow with FWD. AWD doesn't improve wet/snow traction that considerably for the price difference."

European class luxury and performance

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "excellent styling and power, extremely comfortable"

Cons: "reliability is an issue"

"I purchased this car when it was 2 years old, and I have put over 130,000 miles on it myself. The T6 is wonderfully powerful and so comfortable. It makes long trips effortless and fun. The only bad thing about the car is...it simply will eat you alive on maintenance once things start to go wrong. Coil packs are a particular item it consumes with wild abandon, to the cost of about $400 per visit. If you are prepared to spend some money now and then, and have some decent mechanical skills to where you can do some of the work yourself, this car is awesome. Otherwise, pass...pass...PASS!"

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"This is now my 10th car-have owned everthing under the sun over the years. I bought my S80 used with 60,000 miles and it has never given me trouble. It now has 135,000 on it. I am an architect and do a ton of driving-The Volvo-is the car most found in the parking lot of the our firm-Smart Architects buy this car. The S 80 is so comfortable on long drives. The sound system is superior. The build is true volvo-There is a web site called my volvo saved my life-The construction is superior and well built. At 135K I am torn-trade it in? Next car-you guessed it-S 80..."

Reliable, Very fast.

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "Fast Fun Great looking car"

Cons: "Dont keep its value as other jap cars"

"This is my third volvo i've owned and boy isnt it the best. The only problem was the check eng light came on occasionally but it was all about the fuel cap and that was the only repair i've did to it ($9)yes Nine dollars thats all what i paid on the car since i've owned it, if you are thinking about buying one of these go with the T6 model i had the 2.9 s80 and i didnt like it at all it was really slow and under powered comparing to the T6 and there is no difference in the MPG at all"

Worst Car Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

"The quality just doesn't exist in this vehicle. With everything from the headlight wipers, driver side mirror, moon roof tracks, seat heaters, computer modules, relays, and side marker lights going bad and very high priced repair costs, this vehicle is one to avoid. This was my first and last Volvo. A person is much better off dealing with similar repair costs for a more reliable Japanese car or less expensive repairs (though less reliable) for a domestic car. There's no way I would recommend a Volve to anyone."

Love to Drive it

By on Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Bought used with 20,000 miles, was a rental car. Love the power of the turbo and gets great gas mileage. Not had problems with it."

Volvo for life

By on Friday, September 25, 2009

"This was my first Volvo we purchased and we love it we have always owned Honda, sorry Honda we have upped the ante. Hondas last but Volvos laaaaasssssttttt forever. We will buy another Honda when my son graduates if he wants a Volvo he will have to admire ours or buy his own. I love this car."

Swedish Beauty

By on Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Attractive car inside and out, and one of few cars in its category that accommodate a 6' 3' with headroom to spare. Biggest issue is Volvo as a company/dealer network does address what an independent mechanic will tell you are known and predictible service problems, and instead charges unconscionable prices for parts to address problems that are related to faulty design"

Great used car

By on Monday, February 23, 2009

"We bought our S80 in 2003 with 26k miles. It still had 3 years left on the warranty which we did have to use a few times. Most of the issues were with the suspension which is very tight and can be an issue with Pittsburgh pot holes. Since the warranty expired 3 years ago we have spent $500 in repairs. We maintain the car per the manual and it has been great. Still fun to drive and in reasonable condition. It is going on 10 years old and shows no signs of conking out."

WORK HORSE

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"This car is a work horse, drive it above 200-300 miles daily in LA-Southern Ca area. Great mpg, but if you don't turn wrenches you may want to think twice. Goes thru brakes but I just buy new rotors and ceramic pads for $80 bucks and swap out in garage. Coils go out but $57 bucks on internet and 15 min you can change them. Top motor mount went out, $98 and 5 minutes changed it and fuel pump went out $1100 bucks! would never buy one new but got mine with 25k on it for $18k just 2 years old! less than half the sticker, so for the price of a new Hyndai I got a great car. put 90k on it in 2.5 years other than fuel pump, just minor repairs, love it!"

Good car!

By on Friday, February 06, 2009

"2005 S80: My only complaint is the ride on rough roads; at highway speeds, it matches the big American cars. Handles well; never felt this secure in a car. One problem with the gearshift locking up on me, but that's been cured; otherwise, a solid and dependable car. Roomy enough on the inside; trunk's a bit on the small side. Dealerships (I've dealt with two, one at home, one on vacation) have been excellent. Plan to buy another S80."

Do NOT Recommend

By on Thursday, November 06, 2008

"I bought this car 3 years ago and have already pumped over $5,000 of repairs into it. I replaced the transmission in the summer of ‘07 and I found out today that I need to replace it again! The owner before me had the transmission replaced as well, so that makes at least 3 transmission replacements, that I know of! The car looks great and feels great, but it is NOT worth it at all. I’ve spent way too much money on this piece of junk and I’m done with it. I will never own another Volvo again, what a waste of money."

not the worst but not the best

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"did not hold up well, always an issue with the electrical system and sun roof . was hit in the front end buy a car going 50 miles and hour and the air bags did not deploy. I did walk away but afraid to own another one."

Good Safe and Reliable car

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"I have it since Sep 04 (2005 model). No major problem at all yet, but some minors covered under warranty. The Volvo dealer provided free coffee and free ride to/from work or home. This is very safe and reliable, but I wouldn't recommend this vehicle unless you live or work very close by a volvo dealer. You wouldn't find a mechanic who can work on this car easily (even for the engine oil change)."

EXCELLENT CAR!!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I bought a 2000 T6 model for my wife's birthday 3 years ago, and she loves it as much today as she did when she got it. Purchased another one for myself (2001 T6) a year ago for $4500 from someone who hated it. I haven't had any problems with either car, and DIY repairs are not all that difficult on them, either! Performance is excellent from both the engine and the suspension, and the braking system is the best I've seen on any vehicle I've owned. Also, with a car this safe, I don't have to worry about my family!"

not worth the price

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"We have a 2005 volvo s80 we bought it new. The car has good acceleration and is quiet. The problem that we have had is a starting problem. It has been in the shop 6 times for this problem and yet to be fixed correctly. Now the waranty has expired and I am left holding the bag. A very unplesant company to deal with. Good luck."

2005 Solid, comfortatble, trouble free

By on Saturday, November 03, 2007

"I don't know about earier models of the S80. Leased new, In line 5 turbo, is very strong in the power range that is typically used. Fuel ecconomy is quite good, Averaging about 24 in mixed driving, and over 30 on the highway. Impressive for a vehicle with this kind of room and performance. The only detractors are a wide turning radius and a radio with ackward tuning. It may have taken a few years but Volvo seems to have gotten the S80 sorted out. This will be replaced with another leased Volvo in 08. But will make someone a great 200,000K car."

Safe, Practical Luxury

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Bought this car as certified pre-owned almost 5 years ago when my commute was 65 minutes each way. Wanted, no, NEEDED to be comfortable... this car is like driving your living room! Now it's my 'station car' - 10 minutes each way, and 120,000 relatively trouble-free miles later, I'm sticking with Volvo, but can't decide among another S80, a C70, S60 or XC90. Not a bad dilemna to have!"