2006 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Nobody Ever Said Volvo Is Cheap To Maintain

By on Saturday, October 03, 2009

"We have owned this vehicle since March 2006 and have only had to perform regular maintenance. I own 2 Volvo's; this '06-S80 & an '02-V70. My wife & I feel Volvo has good safety, quality and reliability. Volvo is not inexpensive to maintain, so don't be misled. Labor costs are more than that of domestic makes. So, do your homework before buying and you'll know what you're getting into. I am not trying to down-play -OR- encourage buying a Volvo. Some people have unpleasant car experiences... and I know I have too but, our experience with Volvo has been very good. Properly maintained, these vehicles will last at least 12 years. The safety provided by Volvo far outways the cost. This S80 has performed very well. Good handling, performance, responsiveness, styling and, comfort. This vehicle seats 4 adults very comfortably with all your luggage and the styling is quite desirable. The rear seat folds down if extra cargo room is needed even though the trunk space is very generous in size. Once the driver's seat has been adjusted properly and you're strapped-in, one feels snug and in control. A couple of inconsequential rattles - 1 in the back support of front passenger seat and 1 in the dash are the only reason I rate quality lower. My wife is 5'-4" and says that she finds it difficult to find comfort while driving due to the contour of the headrest (which has no adjustment). She feels that people under 5'-6" will not find this vehicle as desirable. The sticker says 21/30 mpg and has been pretty accurate, although I typically get 22/29. I have gotten as high as 33 on the highway. Oh, just to reiterate... maintaining your vehicle will optimize performance !... so you're better off not buying this make vehicle if you can't afford to maintain it."

No major problems, but an expensive car to own

By on Monday, February 23, 2009

"I bought my 2000 T6s80 from a Volvo dealer with 20k miles on it, just as it came off lease in 2002. It was an auto executive's company car and it was (and still is) just like new. I paid half of its new car sticker price (in cash). We have enjoyed the car very much, especially the comfort and feeling of security on long trips. I also have three tall sons (6'+) and this is the only luxury sedan (we test drove them all) where they can all fit into the back seat with ease. I still get complements on how sharp it looks and the on-ramp acceleration is still unbelievable. It has over 85k now on it and I just got 34mpg hwy (at 70mph) during a 1500 mile road trip. I think those reviewers who complained about a harsh ride need to get a different style tire; I went to a taller less 'performance rated' Michelin (still $200 each) and I got a great improvement in ride without any loss of 'performance' handling. But its too heavy to be driven like a 'sports car' anyway, although the turbo boost, the quick handling, and the excellent brakes can make it feel like one. I think some of the reliability problems that other owners have had is that they have driven their s80 too hard, and by this I don't mean too fast. This car is designed to go 160 mph on the Autobahn (as a friend of mine did in his German brother-in-law's stock s80; he said it rode like they were only going 70mph). All this said, this is not a car for someone who is on a budget. The repair costs are frequent and high. I have been fortunate to find a non-dealer Volvo specialist who takes good care of it without robbing me blind. I also made sure I got the 100k/10 year extended warrantee when I bought it. Now that I have over 85K on it I am ready to trade it in (reluctantly) while it is still well covered. My wife and I have enjoyed the car very much, but I believe it qualifies in all ways as a luxury car. If you can afford the upkeep you will love it, but otherwise don't buy one."

Lemon

By on Friday, December 26, 2008

"We bought this car with 85K miles 9 months ago. We were in love after 6 months, but in the last 3 its fallen apart - needed a new throttle, new brakes, new transmission, new radiator...and its in the shop right now waiting for another $1500 in repairs. This doesn't include the 90K mile check up for a grand, and the 105K mile timing belt check for $400. Everything that can go wrong is very expensive to fix, we've spent more than the car is worth in the last 3 months just to keep it running and are desperately trying to get rid of this lemon."

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"

VERY GOOD CAR FOR ME

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "GREAT SOUND SYSTEM, VERY COMFORTABLE FOR TRAVEL, VERY STYLISH"

Cons: "DOESN'T HOLD IT'S VALUE WELL"

MY BABY

"I purchased my S80 in 2006 it is a 2002 an had 67,000. I hav looked @ the othr reviews on this vehicle and I am sorry the other people have had such bad experiences. My volvo has been very good 2 me I hav had it goin on 6 years now an the only major thing I've had 2 do is replace both catalyc converters. I hav had 2 do suspension an brakes but that is expected of a used vehicle. My only other issue is that it doesn't hold it's value well. Oh an I hav an excellent mechanic. Overall it gets a thumbs up."

MY BABY

day to day problems costly

By on Monday, May 18, 2009

"This car makes you feels afe and handles well on the road, however, it is very expensive to maintain and the most random things that occur cost a lot. Tires are alwyas 1000, brakes, 1000, many problems with the STC sensor and the ABS sensor which goes off all the time. It will cost about 1200 to repair the module, which only costs about 200, the rest is labor. It is worth it if you want a safe car, but be prepared to pay aobut 1000 per year just to maintain it. ALso, be aware the the oil changes at 5000-7500 miles is for synthetic oil changes. Most oil places do not know this and will mess you up. I found out the hard way after 3 years of waiting the 5000-7500 miles only to have problems. Finally, this car will not last long in areas wher eit is used for stop and go or short distances. It was made for long driving. Instead of lasting 250000 miles, you might get 150000 before any drive train issues. when getting repairs, go to the dealer. Most foreign auto shops are not trained on s80'sand they end up calling the dealer to trouble shoot."

Don't buy

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"I have had my 02 S-80 since new. Needed new transmission at 45000 miles(neighbor's replaced at 22000miles).Uncomfortable to drive for a man.Advised needs new brakes at 55000 miles but must also replace rotors. Weather stripping falling off. Will not buy another."

2003 S80T6 repair costs!

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"I bought this car after a three year lease, looked great, did some digging and found out it was owned by a 50+ year old male. So I bought it with around 45,000 miles on it and loved it at first site. Luckily, I opted for a mid grade warranty. I soon found out, its a nice car with tons of nice bells and whisltes. Those bells cost alot to fix. I had my car in the dealer over 6 times for a window actuator which kept freezing my passanger window from moving. It was fixed with no problem and luckily hasnt since. Word of advice, if you didnt know already, the most expensive place to go is to a dealer for anything! But nice they were, a brake pad swap costed me over $500, did it with a buddy cost me $100. The moral is find a good mechanic and have him do it all. Around the 90k mile mark coasting on the highway, my tranny locks in 3, or 4th gear. They reset the pc, all set....two weeks later the tranny blew. Had a private tranny company fix it for $2800. Not to mention the 7.3 qrts of syntheic it needs to run that little powerplant. All in all, great looking, running, fast car. But, any 25 or under drivers beware, i understand cars break but make sure you have the wallet to afford it! Hope this helps."

Used '01 S80

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I bought this car with 65K on it for 12,000. It had bad struts and needed new tires which I knew going in to the deal. With those items fixed it has been a fabulous car, reliable and excellent for road trips. 3 adults of medium size fit comfortably in the back. My only major complaint it the turning radius. I was used to my '83 Volvo DL and was completely spoiled. The S80 has a terrible turning radius. Would I buy this car again - yes but I like the newer models better."

Very Solid Car

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Smooth Ride, Decent Mileage, Comfortable Interior"

Cons: "Repairs at the dealership are can get expensive"

"I purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 about five years back with miles. It replaced a 1994 Volvo 850 SE 2.5 with over 190k miles on it. Around this same time I began commuting more than 500 miles/week for work so it was important to have another practical and comfortable vehicle. The S80 certainly excels in both of these categories. Needless to say, I have had very good luck with this car. It has consistently delivered a smooth and quiet ride day after day. The interior of the car is very well designed and functional. Admittedly I do use mid-grade gas, change the oil religiously with full synthetic and flush the coolant and transmission regularly, which probably added to its reliability. At 100k miles I replaced timing belt, drive belt, water pump, etc. which was a bit costly. Other than that, issues have been limited to slightly broken/worn trim pieces and necessary suspension/front end repairs (mostly due to very rough New England roads). Fuel economy averages at 27 MPG which is not terrible (much better than what it's rated for). Certainly better suited for highway driving but fine on rural roads and in the city. For a FWD its surprisingly good in snowy conditions with the right tires. Compared to other cars in its class from 2000, I feel the S80 is still fairly stylish and modern looking. I would certainly recommend this vehicle, or any other Volvo I've driven, to anyone looking for a very solid car."

Most expensive and unreliable ever

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Cost to repair is unreasonably high and you can be sure that there will be something wrong with this vehicle every it goes in for an oil change or mileage service service. This vehicle has a new transmission, new computers, front end suspension, two alternators, motor mounts and many more parts and now it needs the oxygen sensor replace at 4 x $400.00 each = $1600.00 Parts are approx 80.00 each Lots of labor"

Very comfortable reliable and safe ride.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, very reliable, good for all weather"

Cons: "Interior design lacks many bells and whistles"

"Bought my car in 2004 and drove it every single day since. At 121 K miles, the car still brand new and drives like that too. Unlike other cars that start to rust and fall apart, this car is very well made. The drive is fun, powerful and steady. I will buy another Volvo in the future. For now I am trading it for a SUV due to family lifestyle reasons."

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."

Great car, if you can afford to maintain it

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Solid car, no rattles, very comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain and repair, bad gas mileage"

My S80

"I purchased a used 2004 Volvo S80 2.9L with 90k miles two years ago. It currently has 107k on it. Previous owners took care of it and I think that has helped. My experience has been mostly positive but, I have sunk serious money into mine like others have. Steering box developed issues last year and cost $2500 to replace at the dealer. Had pieces of the exhaust replaced due to rust, which is normal for any car of it's age. The only time it left me stranded was when the ignition cylinder failed a few months ago, preventing me from turning the key. Had to be towed to the dealer and cost me $400 to fix. Dealer is expensive but, they have been nice and always perform good repair work. It's an extremely comfortable car and I suppose it does get decent gas mileage for it's size, although it's still could be improved (19 city/29-30 highway). Knock on wood, it hasn't leaked anything or burned oil yet, nor have I had any problems with the interior. The S80's safety record is still excellent, even by today's standards, which is a big plus. This car feels like a tank. Even though it has required some expensive repairs, it does NOT feel like it will die anytime soon... Still runs very strong and tight."

My S80

I love my car..

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, very safe looks great still"

"that's why I have kept it for 10 years... minimum issues. one recall ,,I have kept all maintenance records and appointments."

Hot ride

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, with the T-6 it gets up and GOES"

Cons: "Some things could have been made a little sturdier"

"This is a sweet car for any professional. I loved the styling and the seats designed by chiropractors are awesome for long trips. It's a well designed car and thanks to Volvo sticking with it's designs for so long is still current and modern."

Sweet Ride

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I love my S-80. It is the best car I have ever owned. It is truly a touring car. When I am driving my Volvo, it is like we are one. The acceleration is super. I don't have to wait to change lanes. It responses so quickly and is a classy ride."

Comfort first

By on Saturday, June 13, 2009

"I have had 4 volvos, a 1970 for 15 years, a 1980 for 9 years, and a 1988 for 12 years. Now I got this one. Comfort has jumped far more than expected in my newest model. I thought I got a fairly good deal, but two weeks after I got it, the electronic throttle control malfunctioned. The only way you knew was the digital readout on the dash. I took it to the dealer to repair; it was 1 K, so I guess the deal got less favorable. It runs beautifully, and is exceptionally comfortable, but I am worried about the reliability. The cv joints were repacked, too, another 1/2 K. I did not need all these expenses after just purchasing it, but who knew? I guess things can happen without a great deal of warning. I expect to have it for awhile, and maybe put money into it more favorably than initially. The other three required repairs, too, but not big chuncks usually."

Pricey

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"It's a GREAT car but when things go wrong it's expensive to fix. It hasn't had much go wrong with it but when it does get ready to get your wallet out!"

First & LAST Volvo(LEMON) that....

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

".....I will ever own. What a LEMON this Volvo became once it hit about 30k miles. I have spent $9k keeping this piece of junk running the last 4 years. I just kept thinking the last problem would be it. But no...the problems just coming. It would take $1,000+ EVERY time I showed up for service. It was a good comfortable performer but what a waste of money and time keeping it going. DO NOT buy a Volvo...Ever. New or used."

Love,Love,Love this car!!

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 S80 2.9 brand new in Aug., '01. Many minor issues and a couple "medium" issues yet, nothing major. I am 38 and have owned 14 autos in my life. This one was the 13th. I can't get used to any other car now. It's been my absolute favorite. I've even tried to dislike it and I just can't! Purchased a brand new Lexus(S80s repair and upkeep are why I bought the Lexus) and I still can't wait to drive my S80 after! Have to admit that the repair and maintenance bills are HIGH and it is VERY hard to find anyone besides the dealership to do proper work on it. I've even slept in the car(in safe places, of course) as opposed to staying in a hotel because it so comfortable, safe and sound. Please do your homework before buying any Volvo though. They aren't for everyone. The upkeep on these vehicles is extremely expensive. I've respectfully listened to and have read ALL current reviews on this car, from '99 'til now (ending '08) and have to say, I have ZERO tolerance for BIG car repair/issue bills, so, I hope that my "baby" doesn't disappoint me in the future. Buy a Volvo, if you can afford it. Specifically the S80, if it suits all your needs. I only have 46,000 miles on it! Reviews are scaring me a little!!"

I love driving this car!

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"I bought this car a year and three months ago with 123,000 miles on it from a small local dealer. I agonized briefly because I had read bad reviews about the 1999 model year. This is not the turbo model. When I bought it, it was not perfect. There were many imperfections, dings, nicks, etc. but it drives like a dream and I no longer enjoy driving any of our other cars. We now have 159,000 on the vehicle, and we have had a few quirky problems - key sticks in lock on occasion and we have to wait to get it out, a side light fell out and we had to glue it back on, the side part of the headlight fell out recently and we had to duct tape it in place until we have the time/money to get it replaced (the duct tape works well for now). Most likely the rubber around the side headlight is worn. As you can see, we can put up with less than perfect cosmetic features. The car is quiet and driving this car is the most restful experience that I have ever had with a vehicle. The one major problem that we did have, but that most likely comes with age, is that we had to replace some front and rear bearings/struts. The cost was around $1,500. Other than that, no major repair and regular oil changes at Prompto. The electric windows tend to squeak on occasion when you roll them down. The steering seems to grind when you make hard turns while getting in and out of a driveway or parking lot, but the Volvo service rep told me not to worry - that this has to do with the age of the vehicle - that the "stops" are worn - but not a concern at all. What's also nice is that if you forget to close the sunroof, the interior does not get wet. So, some of you may say - hmmmm.... lots of imperfections. This car has impressive safety features - 6 airbags, decent fuel economy (26 to 28 mpg average for combination city and highway with regular fuel), plenty of room for five people, large trunk, quiet interior, good acceleration, elegant styling and details, solid front end and sides panels. It is a perfect car for enjoying the road! The quality and serenity of the driving experience is the reason why I love this car."

2001 S80

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I was so excited to buy my 2001 S80, it was used with only 29,000 miles. I have been horribly disappointed. I will never buy another Volvo. It has been in the shop with major mechanical problems more times than I can remember. Also, now small "extras" are falling apart in the interior and are not covered under the warranty - cubby hole sliding cover, cigarette lighter, cover for moonroof, weather stripping on doors, etc. So much for a luxury car."

A joy to drive, expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, fun to drive, great gas mileage, even in the city"

Cons: "leather seats wear out and moon roof tends to rattle"

"We picked this vehicle up at the factory in Sweden and have had it for 11 years. It is smooth drive, very responsive and takes to the highway like a dream. It is however, expensive to maintain as parts and mechanics are not the easiest to find. The leather seats quickly wore out and we ended up with cloth covers to hide the wear and tear, and the moon roof rattles in high winds. This is probably because it is an older vehicle, but has put me off any kind of hole in the roof for future vehicles. The main reason we continue to hold onto this car is the mileage....this older, large car (it is considered a luxury vehicle in the insurance world)still manages to achieve over 26 miles to the gallon! Something that in any economy is worth the ownership. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a luxury vehicle that still gets great gas mileage."

Very Dependable

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my 1999 s80 for $3,500 with 132,000 on it a few years ago. I now have over 200,000 on it and have put very little money into it. The suspension finally needs to be replaced but I cant complain. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone I know."