2005 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Comfortable, lots of room but unreliable

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"This car is in the shop all the time. I have never had a car that has more rattles, squeaks, or noises in general. There is a horrible grinding noise in one of the rear wheel wells when you make a turn and it has been to the shop many times for this. Finally, a Volvo dealer said that this was a "design defect" and they could not fiz it. This car had been in production multiple years before my 2002, how did Volvo not catch this? Do not buy this car unless you would like to be the most loyal customer at your local Volvo service department. On the positive side, the turbo is great and the gas mileage is good for a vehicle of this size/power."

2002 S80 2.9

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"The S80 is a smooth-riding almost-luxury sedan, on a par with a similar year's Lexus, Audi, etc. A little less sporty than a Saab, a little less prestigious than, say, a Mercedes (though the 2001-2003 Mercedes are notoriously bad cars). Very comfortable, very safe, very reliable. Cold AC with dedicated vents for the rear passengers, plenty of room front and back, nice driving position, intuitive control layout. Decent accelleration from the 2.9L engine, much nicer than and smoother all around than the S40. Also, I hate to disagree with Decky from Jax, but there are no GM parts on a Volvo. GM owns Saab. Ford is partnered with Volvo. Anyway, for the price at which you can now obtain a mid-mileage S80, I think they are a great value."

Fantastic Four

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I love this car! Have three kids and they all fit comfortably in the car. Smooth ride, great handling, strong engine and awesome gas mileage. I consistently avg 24 mpg between highway/city driving of 35%/65%. A minor vibration sound on front inside door panels occassionally due to their design is the only "quality" issue I had. Handles great in the snow with FWD. AWD doesn't improve wet/snow traction that considerably for the price difference."

European class luxury and performance

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "excellent styling and power, extremely comfortable"

Cons: "reliability is an issue"

"I purchased this car when it was 2 years old, and I have put over 130,000 miles on it myself. The T6 is wonderfully powerful and so comfortable. It makes long trips effortless and fun. The only bad thing about the car is...it simply will eat you alive on maintenance once things start to go wrong. Coil packs are a particular item it consumes with wild abandon, to the cost of about $400 per visit. If you are prepared to spend some money now and then, and have some decent mechanical skills to where you can do some of the work yourself, this car is awesome. Otherwise, pass...pass...PASS!"

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"This is now my 10th car-have owned everthing under the sun over the years. I bought my S80 used with 60,000 miles and it has never given me trouble. It now has 135,000 on it. I am an architect and do a ton of driving-The Volvo-is the car most found in the parking lot of the our firm-Smart Architects buy this car. The S 80 is so comfortable on long drives. The sound system is superior. The build is true volvo-There is a web site called my volvo saved my life-The construction is superior and well built. At 135K I am torn-trade it in? Next car-you guessed it-S 80..."

Reliable, Very fast.

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "Fast Fun Great looking car"

Cons: "Dont keep its value as other jap cars"

"This is my third volvo i've owned and boy isnt it the best. The only problem was the check eng light came on occasionally but it was all about the fuel cap and that was the only repair i've did to it ($9)yes Nine dollars thats all what i paid on the car since i've owned it, if you are thinking about buying one of these go with the T6 model i had the 2.9 s80 and i didnt like it at all it was really slow and under powered comparing to the T6 and there is no difference in the MPG at all"

Worst Car Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

"The quality just doesn't exist in this vehicle. With everything from the headlight wipers, driver side mirror, moon roof tracks, seat heaters, computer modules, relays, and side marker lights going bad and very high priced repair costs, this vehicle is one to avoid. This was my first and last Volvo. A person is much better off dealing with similar repair costs for a more reliable Japanese car or less expensive repairs (though less reliable) for a domestic car. There's no way I would recommend a Volve to anyone."

Love to Drive it

By on Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Bought used with 20,000 miles, was a rental car. Love the power of the turbo and gets great gas mileage. Not had problems with it."

Volvo for life

By on Friday, September 25, 2009

"This was my first Volvo we purchased and we love it we have always owned Honda, sorry Honda we have upped the ante. Hondas last but Volvos laaaaasssssttttt forever. We will buy another Honda when my son graduates if he wants a Volvo he will have to admire ours or buy his own. I love this car."

Swedish Beauty

By on Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Attractive car inside and out, and one of few cars in its category that accommodate a 6' 3' with headroom to spare. Biggest issue is Volvo as a company/dealer network does address what an independent mechanic will tell you are known and predictible service problems, and instead charges unconscionable prices for parts to address problems that are related to faulty design"