• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Nobody Ever Said Volvo Is Cheap To Maintain

By on Saturday, October 03, 2009

"We have owned this vehicle since March 2006 and have only had to perform regular maintenance. I own 2 Volvo's; this '06-S80 & an '02-V70. My wife & I feel Volvo has good safety, quality and reliability. Volvo is not inexpensive to maintain, so don't be misled. Labor costs are more than that of domestic makes. So, do your homework before buying and you'll know what you're getting into. I am not trying to down-play -OR- encourage buying a Volvo. Some people have unpleasant car experiences... and I know I have too but, our experience with Volvo has been very good. Properly maintained, these vehicles will last at least 12 years. The safety provided by Volvo far outways the cost. This S80 has performed very well. Good handling, performance, responsiveness, styling and, comfort. This vehicle seats 4 adults very comfortably with all your luggage and the styling is quite desirable. The rear seat folds down if extra cargo room is needed even though the trunk space is very generous in size. Once the driver's seat has been adjusted properly and you're strapped-in, one feels snug and in control. A couple of inconsequential rattles - 1 in the back support of front passenger seat and 1 in the dash are the only reason I rate quality lower. My wife is 5'-4" and says that she finds it difficult to find comfort while driving due to the contour of the headrest (which has no adjustment). She feels that people under 5'-6" will not find this vehicle as desirable. The sticker says 21/30 mpg and has been pretty accurate, although I typically get 22/29. I have gotten as high as 33 on the highway. Oh, just to reiterate... maintaining your vehicle will optimize performance !... so you're better off not buying this make vehicle if you can't afford to maintain it."

No major problems, but an expensive car to own

By on Monday, February 23, 2009

"I bought my 2000 T6s80 from a Volvo dealer with 20k miles on it, just as it came off lease in 2002. It was an auto executive's company car and it was (and still is) just like new. I paid half of its new car sticker price (in cash). We have enjoyed the car very much, especially the comfort and feeling of security on long trips. I also have three tall sons (6'+) and this is the only luxury sedan (we test drove them all) where they can all fit into the back seat with ease. I still get complements on how sharp it looks and the on-ramp acceleration is still unbelievable. It has over 85k now on it and I just got 34mpg hwy (at 70mph) during a 1500 mile road trip. I think those reviewers who complained about a harsh ride need to get a different style tire; I went to a taller less 'performance rated' Michelin (still $200 each) and I got a great improvement in ride without any loss of 'performance' handling. But its too heavy to be driven like a 'sports car' anyway, although the turbo boost, the quick handling, and the excellent brakes can make it feel like one. I think some of the reliability problems that other owners have had is that they have driven their s80 too hard, and by this I don't mean too fast. This car is designed to go 160 mph on the Autobahn (as a friend of mine did in his German brother-in-law's stock s80; he said it rode like they were only going 70mph). All this said, this is not a car for someone who is on a budget. The repair costs are frequent and high. I have been fortunate to find a non-dealer Volvo specialist who takes good care of it without robbing me blind. I also made sure I got the 100k/10 year extended warrantee when I bought it. Now that I have over 85K on it I am ready to trade it in (reluctantly) while it is still well covered. My wife and I have enjoyed the car very much, but I believe it qualifies in all ways as a luxury car. If you can afford the upkeep you will love it, but otherwise don't buy one."

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"

2003 S80T6 repair costs!

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"I bought this car after a three year lease, looked great, did some digging and found out it was owned by a 50+ year old male. So I bought it with around 45,000 miles on it and loved it at first site. Luckily, I opted for a mid grade warranty. I soon found out, its a nice car with tons of nice bells and whisltes. Those bells cost alot to fix. I had my car in the dealer over 6 times for a window actuator which kept freezing my passanger window from moving. It was fixed with no problem and luckily hasnt since. Word of advice, if you didnt know already, the most expensive place to go is to a dealer for anything! But nice they were, a brake pad swap costed me over $500, did it with a buddy cost me $100. The moral is find a good mechanic and have him do it all. Around the 90k mile mark coasting on the highway, my tranny locks in 3, or 4th gear. They reset the pc, all set....two weeks later the tranny blew. Had a private tranny company fix it for $2800. Not to mention the 7.3 qrts of syntheic it needs to run that little powerplant. All in all, great looking, running, fast car. But, any 25 or under drivers beware, i understand cars break but make sure you have the wallet to afford it! Hope this helps."

Used '01 S80

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I bought this car with 65K on it for 12,000. It had bad struts and needed new tires which I knew going in to the deal. With those items fixed it has been a fabulous car, reliable and excellent for road trips. 3 adults of medium size fit comfortably in the back. My only major complaint it the turning radius. I was used to my '83 Volvo DL and was completely spoiled. The S80 has a terrible turning radius. Would I buy this car again - yes but I like the newer models better."