• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 312 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Still looks new. Get compliments on cleanliness

By on Friday, September 12, 2014

Pros: "appearance--great pickup--5 cylinder better than 6"

Cons: "transmission--cooling system--engine problems"

"Transmission failed at 65K miles. Replaced radiator at 30K Replaced "mass air flow sensor" at 68K miles. People say you can drive this car for 200K miles. Not so! Car gets scheduled service at Volvo dealer. Great winter car. Transmission has W setting for snow--keeps you in third gear."

Love it and hate it

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and definitely enjoyed the luxury."

Cons: "To many small but expensive mechanical failures."

"This 2000 Volvo S-80 T6 is a fun luxury car that has all the bells and whistles. It drives like a sports car. The powerful 6 cylinder twin turbo engine has as much pep as a V8 engine in a similar size car. There are luxury features such as heated memory power seats for both driver and front passenger. It has a nifty trip computer, for fuel economy and current mpg. Leather seats and power sliding sun roof. It even has wipers for the headlights. The not so good things are that it has given me lots of headaches. It seems that just as I get finished making one repair another problem pops up. It's not the engine, that runs beautifully, Over the 2.5 years that I have owned this car, I have replaced the timing belt(as scheduled maintenance item not a mechanical failure), alternator, radiator, numerous leaking hoses. I still like the car, just not the expense that it is to own it. You have to be able to appreciate Volvo for making a great car but I think they were still trying to get all the bugs out of this new model that was only on the market since 1999. I've owned 2 Volvo's & this one has been fun to drive and enjoy, but hated it when so often something would go wrong. So if you don't mind the price of expensive minor repairs, you can enjoy a nice used luxury car for a low initial purchase price, when you consider this is Volvo's flagship luxury car. Today they run in the upper 40 K's to purchase brand new."

Very dependable & comfortable vehicle.

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Handles well; quiet; fuel efficient"

Cons: "lights burn out frequently"

"We have owned our Volvo S80 since it was new. It has been a very comfortable & dependable car. Paint has held up very well and I am amazed at the hits the windshield has taken and not been damaged. Build quality and mechanical items have been relatively trouble free. Now that the vehicle is getting some age on it, I believe the electronics are beginning falter. My biggest complaint has been that the lights frequently burn out. Volvo designs the car to have the lights on 100% of the time the engine is running so they are always on. LED headlights and "position" lights would eliminate this complaint but their use was limited in 2004. I have no intention of replacing this car anytime soon."

Love this car! Solid reliable car!

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "fast, durable, safe, fun to drive, good MPG"

Cons: "none!"

"I have really loved this car! I had this car and ended up getting a really bad accident where we were hit by a car and this car was so solid and protective. Probably one of the things i love most about this car is how safe you are in them. But i also love how it drives so I ended up buying another one. This car is awesome especially with the turbo in it. Driving on trips is so nice going up hills or passing other cars cuz the turbo gives it the power it needs but it is still pretty decent on gas due to the 5 cylinders."

Had car for about 6 months

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

"I love driving it , fast and so pretty.So far no problems"