2004 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 319 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.5/10

A service nightmare with no end...

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Got this car from a deceased relative in 2006. Thought I had it made. 2 months later the transmission was gone and it cost me 3700. Less then a year after that had to have it replaced again. 4 years later and over $11,000 in repair bills, I have had enough."

Pricey

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"It's a GREAT car but when things go wrong it's expensive to fix. It hasn't had much go wrong with it but when it does get ready to get your wallet out!"

I love driving this car!

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"I bought this car a year and three months ago with 123,000 miles on it from a small local dealer. I agonized briefly because I had read bad reviews about the 1999 model year. This is not the turbo model. When I bought it, it was not perfect. There were many imperfections, dings, nicks, etc. but it drives like a dream and I no longer enjoy driving any of our other cars. We now have 159,000 on the vehicle, and we have had a few quirky problems - key sticks in lock on occasion and we have to wait to get it out, a side light fell out and we had to glue it back on, the side part of the headlight fell out recently and we had to duct tape it in place until we have the time/money to get it replaced (the duct tape works well for now). Most likely the rubber around the side headlight is worn. As you can see, we can put up with less than perfect cosmetic features. The car is quiet and driving this car is the most restful experience that I have ever had with a vehicle. The one major problem that we did have, but that most likely comes with age, is that we had to replace some front and rear bearings/struts. The cost was around $1,500. Other than that, no major repair and regular oil changes at Prompto. The electric windows tend to squeak on occasion when you roll them down. The steering seems to grind when you make hard turns while getting in and out of a driveway or parking lot, but the Volvo service rep told me not to worry - that this has to do with the age of the vehicle - that the "stops" are worn - but not a concern at all. What's also nice is that if you forget to close the sunroof, the interior does not get wet. So, some of you may say - hmmmm.... lots of imperfections. This car has impressive safety features - 6 airbags, decent fuel economy (26 to 28 mpg average for combination city and highway with regular fuel), plenty of room for five people, large trunk, quiet interior, good acceleration, elegant styling and details, solid front end and sides panels. It is a perfect car for enjoying the road! The quality and serenity of the driving experience is the reason why I love this car."

Don't be deceived

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"This car may look appealing, but is heavy maintenance and questionable reliability. I'm having to ditch mine due to the ongoing issues. It has been a highly dissatisfactory experience to own a volvo, 2000 S80. I would not recommend this vehicle or a volvo to anyone. My wife was right, it's a piece of junk."

2001 S80

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I was so excited to buy my 2001 S80, it was used with only 29,000 miles. I have been horribly disappointed. I will never buy another Volvo. It has been in the shop with major mechanical problems more times than I can remember. Also, now small "extras" are falling apart in the interior and are not covered under the warranty - cubby hole sliding cover, cigarette lighter, cover for moonroof, weather stripping on doors, etc. So much for a luxury car."

Comfortable, lots of room but unreliable

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"This car is in the shop all the time. I have never had a car that has more rattles, squeaks, or noises in general. There is a horrible grinding noise in one of the rear wheel wells when you make a turn and it has been to the shop many times for this. Finally, a Volvo dealer said that this was a "design defect" and they could not fiz it. This car had been in production multiple years before my 2002, how did Volvo not catch this? Do not buy this car unless you would like to be the most loyal customer at your local Volvo service department. On the positive side, the turbo is great and the gas mileage is good for a vehicle of this size/power."

2004 S80 AWD - BUY USED

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I purchased the car used 3 years ago with 48,000 miles from a local individual with all maintenance records. I paid 1/3 the original sticker price with every option Volvo offered. You get a lot of car for not a lot of money. I now have 85,000 miles registered, and I've driven the car from Mexico to Oregon in 100 degree weather to 3 feet of snow. The car is extremely comfortable, reliable, great gas mileage - for a large four door sedan (I drove the car from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ on a tank of gas), and handles superbly in winter conditions (AWD). I've replaced brakes, rotors, and tires, which is standard for any car (you can purchase all the OEM parts for half the price on ebay and have the Volvo dealership install them). I'm disappointed in the faux wood trim and cup holder, but that is my only complaint. My friends made jokes about me driving a Volvo, but after they drove the car from Southern California to Lake Tahoe for a ski trip, they all fell in love with it. Seats 4 comfortably with all your luggage. Dealer mechanic told me the AWD 2.5T was the best and most reliable engine in the S80 series."

2002 S80 2.9

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"The S80 is a smooth-riding almost-luxury sedan, on a par with a similar year's Lexus, Audi, etc. A little less sporty than a Saab, a little less prestigious than, say, a Mercedes (though the 2001-2003 Mercedes are notoriously bad cars). Very comfortable, very safe, very reliable. Cold AC with dedicated vents for the rear passengers, plenty of room front and back, nice driving position, intuitive control layout. Decent accelleration from the 2.9L engine, much nicer than and smoother all around than the S40. Also, I hate to disagree with Decky from Jax, but there are no GM parts on a Volvo. GM owns Saab. Ford is partnered with Volvo. Anyway, for the price at which you can now obtain a mid-mileage S80, I think they are a great value."

Fantastic Four

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I love this car! Have three kids and they all fit comfortably in the car. Smooth ride, great handling, strong engine and awesome gas mileage. I consistently avg 24 mpg between highway/city driving of 35%/65%. A minor vibration sound on front inside door panels occassionally due to their design is the only "quality" issue I had. Handles great in the snow with FWD. AWD doesn't improve wet/snow traction that considerably for the price difference."

European class luxury and performance

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "excellent styling and power, extremely comfortable"

Cons: "reliability is an issue"

"I purchased this car when it was 2 years old, and I have put over 130,000 miles on it myself. The T6 is wonderfully powerful and so comfortable. It makes long trips effortless and fun. The only bad thing about the car is...it simply will eat you alive on maintenance once things start to go wrong. Coil packs are a particular item it consumes with wild abandon, to the cost of about $400 per visit. If you are prepared to spend some money now and then, and have some decent mechanical skills to where you can do some of the work yourself, this car is awesome. Otherwise, pass...pass...PASS!"