2004 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 321 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"

2003 S80T6 repair costs!

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"I bought this car after a three year lease, looked great, did some digging and found out it was owned by a 50+ year old male. So I bought it with around 45,000 miles on it and loved it at first site. Luckily, I opted for a mid grade warranty. I soon found out, its a nice car with tons of nice bells and whisltes. Those bells cost alot to fix. I had my car in the dealer over 6 times for a window actuator which kept freezing my passanger window from moving. It was fixed with no problem and luckily hasnt since. Word of advice, if you didnt know already, the most expensive place to go is to a dealer for anything! But nice they were, a brake pad swap costed me over $500, did it with a buddy cost me $100. The moral is find a good mechanic and have him do it all. Around the 90k mile mark coasting on the highway, my tranny locks in 3, or 4th gear. They reset the pc, all set....two weeks later the tranny blew. Had a private tranny company fix it for $2800. Not to mention the 7.3 qrts of syntheic it needs to run that little powerplant. All in all, great looking, running, fast car. But, any 25 or under drivers beware, i understand cars break but make sure you have the wallet to afford it! Hope this helps."

Sweet Ride

By on Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"I love my S-80. It is the best car I have ever owned. It is truly a touring car. When I am driving my Volvo, it is like we are one. The acceleration is super. I don't have to wait to change lanes. It responses so quickly and is a classy ride."

Comfort first

By on Saturday, June 13, 2009

"I have had 4 volvos, a 1970 for 15 years, a 1980 for 9 years, and a 1988 for 12 years. Now I got this one. Comfort has jumped far more than expected in my newest model. I thought I got a fairly good deal, but two weeks after I got it, the electronic throttle control malfunctioned. The only way you knew was the digital readout on the dash. I took it to the dealer to repair; it was 1 K, so I guess the deal got less favorable. It runs beautifully, and is exceptionally comfortable, but I am worried about the reliability. The cv joints were repacked, too, another 1/2 K. I did not need all these expenses after just purchasing it, but who knew? I guess things can happen without a great deal of warning. I expect to have it for awhile, and maybe put money into it more favorably than initially. The other three required repairs, too, but not big chuncks usually."

Would recommed ONLY for dependability

By on Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pros: "Very dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "Sererely lacks Power"

"Bought my 2001 S80 at an auction with 118000 miles on it for $5,500. I had driven Cadillac's ( STS, Eldo ETC ) for over 10 years. I was disappointed with the performance of the S80!! No power at all. It now has 228,000 miles on it. I had to have the tranni rebuilt at 157,000 miles. I had to do the suspension over at this time also. I did it myself so it was inexpensive to do. Other than that all I had to do was replace a couple of coil packs. I can't complain about the tranni popping at 157,000. So, over all the car was dependable. On road trips the car got 27 MPG. around town it got 18 MPG. If it were not for the lack or power I would have been completely satisfied...."

Love,Love,Love this car!!

By on Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 S80 2.9 brand new in Aug., '01. Many minor issues and a couple "medium" issues yet, nothing major. I am 38 and have owned 14 autos in my life. This one was the 13th. I can't get used to any other car now. It's been my absolute favorite. I've even tried to dislike it and I just can't! Purchased a brand new Lexus(S80s repair and upkeep are why I bought the Lexus) and I still can't wait to drive my S80 after! Have to admit that the repair and maintenance bills are HIGH and it is VERY hard to find anyone besides the dealership to do proper work on it. I've even slept in the car(in safe places, of course) as opposed to staying in a hotel because it so comfortable, safe and sound. Please do your homework before buying any Volvo though. They aren't for everyone. The upkeep on these vehicles is extremely expensive. I've respectfully listened to and have read ALL current reviews on this car, from '99 'til now (ending '08) and have to say, I have ZERO tolerance for BIG car repair/issue bills, so, I hope that my "baby" doesn't disappoint me in the future. Buy a Volvo, if you can afford it. Specifically the S80, if it suits all your needs. I only have 46,000 miles on it! Reviews are scaring me a little!!"

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"This is now my 10th car-have owned everthing under the sun over the years. I bought my S80 used with 60,000 miles and it has never given me trouble. It now has 135,000 on it. I am an architect and do a ton of driving-The Volvo-is the car most found in the parking lot of the our firm-Smart Architects buy this car. The S 80 is so comfortable on long drives. The sound system is superior. The build is true volvo-There is a web site called my volvo saved my life-The construction is superior and well built. At 135K I am torn-trade it in? Next car-you guessed it-S 80..."

A joy to drive, expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, fun to drive, great gas mileage, even in the city"

Cons: "leather seats wear out and moon roof tends to rattle"

"We picked this vehicle up at the factory in Sweden and have had it for 11 years. It is smooth drive, very responsive and takes to the highway like a dream. It is however, expensive to maintain as parts and mechanics are not the easiest to find. The leather seats quickly wore out and we ended up with cloth covers to hide the wear and tear, and the moon roof rattles in high winds. This is probably because it is an older vehicle, but has put me off any kind of hole in the roof for future vehicles. The main reason we continue to hold onto this car is the mileage....this older, large car (it is considered a luxury vehicle in the insurance world)still manages to achieve over 26 miles to the gallon! Something that in any economy is worth the ownership. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a luxury vehicle that still gets great gas mileage."

Very Dependable

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my 1999 s80 for $3,500 with 132,000 on it a few years ago. I now have over 200,000 on it and have put very little money into it. The suspension finally needs to be replaced but I cant complain. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone I know."

A service nightmare with no end...

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Got this car from a deceased relative in 2006. Thought I had it made. 2 months later the transmission was gone and it cost me 3700. Less then a year after that had to have it replaced again. 4 years later and over $11,000 in repair bills, I have had enough."