• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2004 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Sweet Ride

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I love my S-80. It is the best car I have ever owned. It is truly a touring car. When I am driving my Volvo, it is like we are one. The acceleration is super. I don't have to wait to change lanes. It responses so quickly and is a classy ride."

Comfort first

By on Saturday, June 13, 2009

"I have had 4 volvos, a 1970 for 15 years, a 1980 for 9 years, and a 1988 for 12 years. Now I got this one. Comfort has jumped far more than expected in my newest model. I thought I got a fairly good deal, but two weeks after I got it, the electronic throttle control malfunctioned. The only way you knew was the digital readout on the dash. I took it to the dealer to repair; it was 1 K, so I guess the deal got less favorable. It runs beautifully, and is exceptionally comfortable, but I am worried about the reliability. The cv joints were repacked, too, another 1/2 K. I did not need all these expenses after just purchasing it, but who knew? I guess things can happen without a great deal of warning. I expect to have it for awhile, and maybe put money into it more favorably than initially. The other three required repairs, too, but not big chuncks usually."

Pricey

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"It's a GREAT car but when things go wrong it's expensive to fix. It hasn't had much go wrong with it but when it does get ready to get your wallet out!"

First & LAST Volvo(LEMON) that....

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

".....I will ever own. What a LEMON this Volvo became once it hit about 30k miles. I have spent $9k keeping this piece of junk running the last 4 years. I just kept thinking the last problem would be it. But no...the problems just coming. It would take $1,000+ EVERY time I showed up for service. It was a good comfortable performer but what a waste of money and time keeping it going. DO NOT buy a Volvo...Ever. New or used."

Love,Love,Love this car!!

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 S80 2.9 brand new in Aug., '01. Many minor issues and a couple "medium" issues yet, nothing major. I am 38 and have owned 14 autos in my life. This one was the 13th. I can't get used to any other car now. It's been my absolute favorite. I've even tried to dislike it and I just can't! Purchased a brand new Lexus(S80s repair and upkeep are why I bought the Lexus) and I still can't wait to drive my S80 after! Have to admit that the repair and maintenance bills are HIGH and it is VERY hard to find anyone besides the dealership to do proper work on it. I've even slept in the car(in safe places, of course) as opposed to staying in a hotel because it so comfortable, safe and sound. Please do your homework before buying any Volvo though. They aren't for everyone. The upkeep on these vehicles is extremely expensive. I've respectfully listened to and have read ALL current reviews on this car, from '99 'til now (ending '08) and have to say, I have ZERO tolerance for BIG car repair/issue bills, so, I hope that my "baby" doesn't disappoint me in the future. Buy a Volvo, if you can afford it. Specifically the S80, if it suits all your needs. I only have 46,000 miles on it! Reviews are scaring me a little!!"