2004 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

I am impressed with the performance

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "Great value for a used auto"

Cons: "Get a warranty on older models if possible . . ."

"I did have to put a new transmission and front end on it at the 50K mark but other than that, Peaches and Cream. The good thing is that I had purchased a warranty and it was all covered!! I am going to purchase a C70 in a few months so overall, I am obviously pleased with the Volvo brand."

do not buy an s80

By on Monday, May 09, 2011

"I dreamed of owning a lovely reliable rugged volvo. I got an awful car that just was a complete waste of money. Buyer beware. After being in the shop for 2 months, trying to get it fixed I find out that it seems that this era s80 is just problemmatic! horrible car. Bought it and put is new computer etc - $2500. transmission went, replaced, went again. Crankcase needed cleaned. catalytic converters X 3. Engine blown out.. Leather seats cracked and worn, trim coming off. Most comfortable seats I have ever sat in! Terrible car, wasted $7000 on this vehicle. In the end the volvo dealership advised me just to give up. Do not buy an s80."

Solid Luxury Sedan

By on Friday, December 31, 2010

"I bought our S80 about 2 years ago with 72K on it. I wanted a vehicle that was luxury and at the same time sporty, economical, and a classy. I test drove a variety of sedans (including newer S60's), and once I drove this car, I knew it was perfect. It is a heavy car that I felt safe with my kids in, and at the same time had the Volvo reliabilty. The interior is well layed out with plenty of cabin space. It is has had regular oil changes, and has proven to be an excellent choice. My only complaint is the leather in the front seats had deteriorated rather quickly."

Volvo S80

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"This car rides like a luxury car and functions like a tank in storms. It's solid! Gives you feeling of security. I love the safety features and the comfort of the car overall. Of all the Volvo's, this model is my favorite and worth every penny."

Stay far away from this car

By on Saturday, July 17, 2010

"After I had to replace the tie rods, got 2 sets of $400 tires, and 2 transmissions at $4000 a piece, I finally got smart and got rid of this piece of junk. I will never, ever buy a Volvo again."

Bang for the Buck

By on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Many people complain about the reliability of this car. I can not say for the T6, but the 2.9L non turbo gets great gas mileage, it is smooth/quiet, and just an all around really nice car. I bought mine with over 100K miles on it, but it was serviced at the Volvo dealer every 5K miles. I put synthetic Amsoil in the engine and transmission right after I bought it, and it runs like a top. It's not as fun to drive as my BMW before it, but for what it is, I can't complain one bit. Buy one that has been serviced and taken care of, and you shouldn't be dissapointed."

2003,s80

By on Friday, April 09, 2010

"Bought this car new..2003,s80,2.9 non-turbo,57000 on it,great so far,light bulbs,trunk lock,motor mounts,o2 sensors,rear rotors..that's all + regular upkeep,oil change,new tires,coolant..as mentioned above..stay away from 1999/2000 models..comfy ride,fast,great seats,22/28mpg mixed driving"

Do Not Buy!

By on Monday, November 09, 2009

"I purchased my volvo in 2005 and it had 26k miles on it. I thought this was a smart buy all considering...That has not been the case at all. I have spent over 10K in repairs in just 40k miles of use, ugh! If you are considering buying a used Volvo, don't..My cost comparison shows me I should have just bought a new one, it would have cost less overall...Buy new and let Volvo fix it, and in addition only do a 5 year loan. that way its paid off and you can trade it in before you have to start paying out of pocket..."

A Lemon's "lemon"

By on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

"After the birth of our child, my wife and I sold our two Toyotas (Camry and Corolla) to purchase a slightly used Volvo S80 because of its SAFETY RATING. The $39K sticker price was lowered to $28K because it had been used as a demo and had 7500 miles on the odometer. Seven years later, more than two dozen trips to the dealer or independent mechanic for work, three recalls, a dozen or more bulbs replaced, the vehicle is sitting in our driveway "gathering dust." The last breakdown was the final one: the timing belt tensioner bolt broke away from the block, taking a piece of the block with it! Three local mechanics--with a cumulative total of 65 years in the business--said they'd never seen a vehicle's block broken by a tensioner! The engine in this "lemon's" lemon is an "interference" engine according to Volvo, which means that if the timing belt breaks, slips, or is otherwise "interfered" with, the valves shoot into the heads, damaging themselves, the head, and the pistons. Bottom line, with 133K (and I DID replace the timing belt at 100K), the vehicles was only worth $2,500 in trade had the engine not been destroyed; now it's worth $275 in scrap metal. I hope some engineer's or die caster's ears at Volvo are burning. Worst investment I ever made. Will NEVER, ever consider another Volvo product."

not impressed

By on Wednesday, July 08, 2009

"several mechanical problems occured after 50,000 miles. The European ride and handling takes some getting used to. Great seating once you get your seat adjusted and loaded into memory. Wouldn't recommend use in the snow belt areas without 4 good winter tires."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Monday, June 01, 2009

"I loved this vehicle I bought it used with 125,000 miles. All I did was brakes & replaced the battery which I found out was the original, it lasted 9 yrs, Amazing!! I never tuned it up & it drove like a champ. I said Loved because my husband got into an accident & he walked away without a scratch. Both Airbags deployed & I think the insurance co. is going to total it out. Hoping they just fix it. I LOVE MY VOLVO!!"

what next...

By on Sunday, April 05, 2009

"hello, my wife and I have owned our volvo for 2 years now and its been nothing but problems. We got it with 70,000 and it was a one woman owned vehicle with all service records from new. The head lights burn out about once every three months, we have replaced power steering rack and pump, alternator, tie-rods inner and outer, CD player, and now the crank shaft bearing went out and they are going to have to pull the motor and replace the bearing, water pump, belt tensioner, and timing belt, the estimate came back over 2,000k... this car has been nothing but problems and a burden to our family i would never recommend an S80 to anyone in fact with this expierence i wouldnt even recomend any volvo pre-ford ownership. oh i forgot the SRS airbag light came on a while back and we had to replace the airbag sensors... and the car was never wrecked. just dont understand..."

By on Saturday, March 07, 2009

"I love my S80. It is extremely comfortable, gets excellent gas mileage on the highway, and has great styling. I get compliments on it all the time. I bought it used over a year ago and other than a few oil changes, no problems thus far. I don't drive a lot of miles so I'm hoping this car lasts a long, long time!"

Stay Away!!

By on Tuesday, September 09, 2008

"The mechanical repairs on the is vehicle have been outrageous!!! I've have nothing but problems (struts, 02 sensors, power windows, front end problems, steering rack, etc. etc. etc.) Stay away from this vehicle... Rather than sink more $$$$ into this vehicle, I'm taking what I can for a trade-in and buying something else..."

Great ride

By on Saturday, September 06, 2008

"Had the 1999 S80 T6 for about 5 years. Bought it with 86,000 already on it. Now has 175,000 miles on the clock. Factoring in the cost of repairs (expensive) it still is a good value. Twin turbo has tons of power, but also gets great gas mileage. Wife wants me to buy another one now."

faithful Volvo

By on Thursday, March 20, 2008

"This is the 5th Volvo I have owned since '79 and I have kept all of the previous ones at least 10 years. I do practically all my own work, so I am basically immune to outrageous dealer service pricing. I bought my T-6 with 76K on it and did virtually nothing on it until it got close to 100K, at which time the suspension and brakes were due for attention, like any vehicle. I love the performance and feel it is very comfortable to drive. I plan on having it for quite a while. Volvos age gracefully."

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Repairs are expensive, but that was expected. Excellent Vehicle."

Great car

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Bought new S80 in 2001, it's been a good car, going strong at 217k miles. Held up well, no major problems. The only major problem was a sensor issue but they covered it under warrenty. Other than that just normal wear and tear. The only negative is repairs and upkeep can be expensive when done at the dealer, no surprise, but I found a local shop that does great work for 1/3 to 1/2 less."

Don't ever buy this car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Bought 1999 as lease return with 36,000 miles. Although it has a lot of power and a relatively smooth ride, it has left me and my family stranded on two road trips from a sensor failing in one case, and the fuel pump going out in the other. In addition, repairs for this car have totaled over $10,000 over the 5 years I've owned it (maybe a third of that was covered before the warranty expired). This Volvo is definitely the worst car I have ever owned."

Great Car!

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"I have owned my car for a year now, and I'm very happy with my purchase. I bought a 2003 Volvo S80 2.9L. It handles very well, especially when negotiating turns and curves. It has excellent acceleration. I really enjoy the sound system. I wish the gas mileage was a little better, but overall I would happily recommend this car to a friend. I like the style and comfort best."

Fun to drive, avg reliability

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"My 2000 Volvo S80 was my first 'nice' car. It has a great speaker system and is really fun to drive, especially for a sedan. My family of 4 can ride comfortably on a long trip and the trunk is huge. It takes curves really well and goes fast. The suspension is tight which doesn't always work well on bumpy streets with potholes. Reliability is so so. I have spent money on the suspension, ABS breaks and new struts. Nothing too major but it does get expensive."

1999 S80 improves w/age

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2007

"I love Volvos. This is my 4th. I have had a ton of trouble with it but since I passed 90,000 nothing much goes wrong. Had horrible experiences that were covered under the extended warranty, ETM, sunroof, front brakes locking, oil leaking into the computer...rats! BUT now she's running great, got 120,000 on it. Love the look of the car, love room, seats r awesome, at the resale probably a good one to look at. Would consider a newer one and will probably keep this now. Typically my Volvos go over 200,000. I'll give it to my college son. Also quite excellent with 4 studs in Colorado snow!"

Quality Car

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"I bought my used 2001 S-80 2.9 with 50k miles on it. I also purchased an extened warrany with the car which i strongly recommend. I only have had to do minor maintenance/ repair on it and it was covered by the extended warrany.Which saved me thousands of dollars. The only thing I find quite expensive are replacing the brake pads and rotors. I drive around 20-25k a year with no problems. Driving in and around NYC can be demanding however, this car is up to the task. The tires take the beating from the horrible streets (1 flat in 3 yrs). Very happy with the car for the price I paid."

Nice car drives like a wet sponge

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Bought the car used and have had it for a year. No problems to report after 26k of driving. Grreat handling AWD is nice but rarely used. Only compliant is the acceleraton at highway speeds...lets just say cruising is good but if you need the horsepower to pass someone (anyone) try a different car, or give this thing a wide birth. The turbo lag is horrendous. BUT value wise, this car is a bargain used. Fit and finish in the interior is nice. Firm leather doesn't really crack or show age badly, unlike some of the softer leather out there. The gas mileage is nice even though you have to use premium. Definitly recommended i drive 20,000 + a year so far this car has never missed a beat."

2003 S80 T6

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I am really impressed with the 2003 S80 T6. It is very roomy, luxurious, yet sporty, Very reliable, and super quiet. I will say for Volvos flagship sedan, 0-60 mph in under 6.5 sec says enough about the performance. As quiet as it is, one would never suspect that this car packed a twin turbo inline 6. AC is very cold, rain sensing wipers, and a his and hers transmission, this car the perfect example of performance luxury. I forgot to mention the 4 disc in dash CD changer, with the 10 speaker sound system, and the full glove soft leather interior. You will not be disappointed with this car."