• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2004 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 314 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Great car, if you can afford to maintain it

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Solid car, no rattles, very comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain and repair, bad gas mileage"

My S80

"I purchased a used 2004 Volvo S80 2.9L with 90k miles two years ago. It currently has 107k on it. Previous owners took care of it and I think that has helped. My experience has been mostly positive but, I have sunk serious money into mine like others have. Steering box developed issues last year and cost $2500 to replace at the dealer. Had pieces of the exhaust replaced due to rust, which is normal for any car of it's age. The only time it left me stranded was when the ignition cylinder failed a few months ago, preventing me from turning the key. Had to be towed to the dealer and cost me $400 to fix. Dealer is expensive but, they have been nice and always perform good repair work. It's an extremely comfortable car and I suppose it does get decent gas mileage for it's size, although it's still could be improved (19 city/29-30 highway). Knock on wood, it hasn't leaked anything or burned oil yet, nor have I had any problems with the interior. The S80's safety record is still excellent, even by today's standards, which is a big plus. This car feels like a tank. Even though it has required some expensive repairs, it does NOT feel like it will die anytime soon... Still runs very strong and tight."

My S80

best year this car was made

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "turbo can't imagine getting on the expressway wit"

Cons: "not an suv"

"I have a 2004 Volvo and I've loved it since the day I bought it. I would like to have a SUV just because of grandkids and dogs but I can't bear to part with it. I have 149k miles on it and never had any issues. It was diffidently a good year this car was made."

ok car but exspensive to fix trans sticky and turo

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reason: trans

"good car just needs to be maintained properly"

Seeing is believing.

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, cost efficient, easy to maintain"

Cons: "few cupholders, maint. can be pricey"

"I am 16 years old, and this is my first modern car, my other being a classic. I love this car, and you have to own one to understand. Mine is a 2005 2.5 Turbo, that we purchased with 48900 miles on it in February, 2012. We paid less than $10,000 for what in '05 retailed for $42,000. This is a wonderful driver for someone like me, and I feel safe as well as comfortable. The turbo is peppy and the cabin is luxurious. The only issue I have had is the maintenance. I have had to take it in only twice in a year for about $1000 of maintenance, but the problems were unrelated and happened by chance. I have read reviews about how hard these cars are to maintain, how much it costs, and how you can only get it done at the dealer. You can't buy a luxury car without expecting high maintenance prices, but there is a shop in my neighborhood specializing in Volvo. Independent shops are not so hard to find. One overly critical review I read was about how hard it was to change the headlight bulb and how it cost $200 at the dealer, and how Volvo makes it impossible to replace it on your own. I work on cars as a hobby, mostly classic cars, and I replaced both bulbs in my driveway in 15 minutes. I paid $25 for the pack of 2 bulbs. It isn't that hard. The same review stated that even a "simple oil change" was impossible, thanks to Volvo. Took me 45 minutes on a lift. Overall I love every aspect of this car, minus the minor reliability concern. Maintenance costs are not an issue if you can find a reliable shop or know someone who works on cars."

European class luxury and performance

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "excellent styling and power, extremely comfortable"

Cons: "reliability is an issue"

"I purchased this car when it was 2 years old, and I have put over 130,000 miles on it myself. The T6 is wonderfully powerful and so comfortable. It makes long trips effortless and fun. The only bad thing about the car is...it simply will eat you alive on maintenance once things start to go wrong. Coil packs are a particular item it consumes with wild abandon, to the cost of about $400 per visit. If you are prepared to spend some money now and then, and have some decent mechanical skills to where you can do some of the work yourself, this car is awesome. Otherwise, pass...pass...PASS!"

I love my car..

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, very safe looks great still"

"that's why I have kept it for 10 years... minimum issues. one recall ,,I have kept all maintenance records and appointments."

Love hate relationship

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable nice drive and size - SAFETY"

Cons: "high cost to own and must be repaired by dealer"

"Drives and handles nice. Definitely feel safe in this car. No rattles solid feel. Expensive to get serviced, never under $700.00. Under warranty several items repaired only to pop up again after warranty over. Paint blistered and peeled (never had a car do this before). Just waiting for the next $2000.00 repair bill. Definitely selling."

would never buy a volvo again!!!!

By on Sunday, September 09, 2012

Pros: "seating & pick up"

Cons: "cost of repairs"

"I have a 2006 S80 with 56,000miles for about a year.Never owned a volvo before and never will again. In today's market and the price of repairs this is not the car to buy.I took it in for a head light blub cost me over 200.00 dollars.This is really something that a consumer could have done but volvo makes it impossible to do the simplest repair even to change the oil.Makes me worry on what will be next and the cost!!!!!Also does not hold its value."

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"

Fun to Drive But......

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "The Depreciation Rate makes for a great deal"

Cons: "Expensive repairs, lose a lot of value very quick"

"I purchased my volvo s80 (2004) back in 2011 with just under 100k miles on it. The vehicle is so much fun to drive - when all the pieces work cohesively. One thing you should know up front, never take it to a volvo dealer for service. I had several error messages popup on my vehicle and promptly took to the dealer to have addressed. I was quoted over 4k to have this that and the other replaced, when in all reality, it just needed a new battery and a code reset (250 dollars). The power steering fluid pump must have a leak because it drains empty every 5k miles, the turbo is nice but does have slightly more lag than some comparable vehicles (saab/mbenz). I have owned many cars in my lifetime and few are as comfortable to drive as this, and few have the get up and go that this boat of a car has - which is a fun driving dynamic. Overall for what I paid (under 10k) it was a pretty good value, but from a headache perspective I will likely go for a more mainstream vehicle next time with more features (loaded accord/loaded taurus/etc.)."

By on Monday, May 21, 2012

Pros: "Cornering/ Suspension, Safety"

Cons: "Small useless cup holder, Leather Cracks"

"I recently purchased a 2000 Volvo s80 2.9 (previously owned a 2001 s80 t5) and really like this car. It was a trade in that i bought wholesale (it had a few issues) for 3,750. It had 131 K miles, good paint, all in all good interior shape (despite some cracks in the seat leather and wear on the shift and hand brake gaiters. It also idled rough The check engine and service lights were on when i got it. took it home and did an oil change (pretty easy the filter is on the front right corner of the engine), and found a video on you tube on how to clean the ETCM (electronic throttle control module) I went to the store got 40$ in supplies (wire brushes, carb cleaner, towels, a deep socket set in mm sizes) and in just over 2 hours I had taken off the ETCM, cleaned it and put it back together, car runs great, this is the easiest FWD engine ive ever worked on, everything is right there. For just about 500 bucks and a little labor i got this car running great, i spent just over 4 grand for a car that will run for many years to come."

Money Sucker!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and very comfortable."

Cons: "Horrible turning radius"

"It is a comfortable ride and the turbo gives it some great pick up, but I have put more money into the car than I ever could have imagined. The leather has also worn down quickly, and started to show signs of wearing down as early as 5 years."

Total lemon.

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"This car has been the biggest lemon. Thank god we bought the extended warranty."

Poor city gas mileage

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "Unknown, purchased used."

Cons: "Gas mileage in city.k"

"I love it's style, and great hwy gas mileage,. What is not so great is the complexity of the radio and the not so great gas mileage in the city,"

Very reliable car with lots interior room.

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

"For an owner who is 6'3" there is plenty of interior space and comfort. For a bigger car I get great mileage on regular gas! Turbo provides lots power and car hardly feels like it is shifting gears. With a 155k miles the car feels like it can go on forever and although it is 8 years old everything still works the way it is supposed to!"

Owned for about a year now

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, looks, performance, comfortable"

Cons: "warning lights come on for no reason"

"The only thing i have had to replace involve the fuel filter, air filter, tires, and cooling fan. This has been an awesome car for me the whole time i have had it. Has lots of power and is FUN to drive!"

Strong

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "luxurius, fan to drive,"

Cons: "expensive if it brakes down"

"Perfect if you have kids. Very strong frame and confortable inside -no more that 2 kids :-)"

Best car I've owned

By on Tuesday, February 07, 2012

"I have driven this car for 13 years with no major problems. It still looks good (interior"

Comfort and Style!

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "The pick up is awesome with the turbos!"

Cons: "Not reliable (transmission)"

"Comfortable, but and bit loud on the road. Have had a great experience with this car until now (76,000 miles), the transmission is slipping...$3,800 bill coming soon! Oh the joy! My only other gripes are the wide turning radius and the blind spot."

Great Car!!

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

"I have had my S80 for 8 years with no problems. I would highly recommend this model and year of Volvo."

This is my 2nd Volvo they make great cars

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fast Car, smooth quiet ride"

Cons: "pedals too close together"

"The biggest problem I had with this car was that the break pedal and the gas pedal are too close together"

This car is great

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "nice ride, great stereo system, love it, great car"

Cons: "it requires gas lol"

"Bought this car and its awesome :D love it you might have to replace parts on the car but what car dosnt require work :P"

Love love love this car.

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "smooth, comfortable ride,extremely reliable, safe"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I absolutely love my Volvo S80. It is reliable, comfortable,smooth, and I feel very safe in it. The only complaints I have are poor gas mileage (avg 19-20 mpg) and wide turning radius compared to my old car (Nissan Maxima). Many people complain/ worry about the higher maintenance costs associated with Volvo's, but in reality, I believe the extra cost of maintaining a Volvo is completely worth it because repairs/ oil changes/ parts last much longer than they do with normal cars. For example, and oil change cost approx 70 bucks instead of 25, but the oil only needs to be changed every 7000 miles instead of 3000 which makes it much easier to keep up with."

Excellent car. 3rd one owned, hard to beat

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Rides great, very comfortable. Very safe."

Cons: "Repair costs"

"Excellent car. Runs great. Very safe and comfortable. I have not found a comparable car that I like better. Only drawback is that repairs and parts are expensive."

good car

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cons: "Front passenger seat not adjustable"

"Ok"