2004 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

day to day problems costly

By on Monday, May 18, 2009

"This car makes you feels afe and handles well on the road, however, it is very expensive to maintain and the most random things that occur cost a lot. Tires are alwyas 1000, brakes, 1000, many problems with the STC sensor and the ABS sensor which goes off all the time. It will cost about 1200 to repair the module, which only costs about 200, the rest is labor. It is worth it if you want a safe car, but be prepared to pay aobut 1000 per year just to maintain it. ALso, be aware the the oil changes at 5000-7500 miles is for synthetic oil changes. Most oil places do not know this and will mess you up. I found out the hard way after 3 years of waiting the 5000-7500 miles only to have problems. Finally, this car will not last long in areas wher eit is used for stop and go or short distances. It was made for long driving. Instead of lasting 250000 miles, you might get 150000 before any drive train issues. when getting repairs, go to the dealer. Most foreign auto shops are not trained on s80'sand they end up calling the dealer to trouble shoot."

Don't buy

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"I have had my 02 S-80 since new. Needed new transmission at 45000 miles(neighbor's replaced at 22000miles).Uncomfortable to drive for a man.Advised needs new brakes at 55000 miles but must also replace rotors. Weather stripping falling off. Will not buy another."

2003 S80T6 repair costs!

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"I bought this car after a three year lease, looked great, did some digging and found out it was owned by a 50+ year old male. So I bought it with around 45,000 miles on it and loved it at first site. Luckily, I opted for a mid grade warranty. I soon found out, its a nice car with tons of nice bells and whisltes. Those bells cost alot to fix. I had my car in the dealer over 6 times for a window actuator which kept freezing my passanger window from moving. It was fixed with no problem and luckily hasnt since. Word of advice, if you didnt know already, the most expensive place to go is to a dealer for anything! But nice they were, a brake pad swap costed me over $500, did it with a buddy cost me $100. The moral is find a good mechanic and have him do it all. Around the 90k mile mark coasting on the highway, my tranny locks in 3, or 4th gear. They reset the pc, all set....two weeks later the tranny blew. Had a private tranny company fix it for $2800. Not to mention the 7.3 qrts of syntheic it needs to run that little powerplant. All in all, great looking, running, fast car. But, any 25 or under drivers beware, i understand cars break but make sure you have the wallet to afford it! Hope this helps."

Used '01 S80

By on Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I bought this car with 65K on it for 12,000. It had bad struts and needed new tires which I knew going in to the deal. With those items fixed it has been a fabulous car, reliable and excellent for road trips. 3 adults of medium size fit comfortably in the back. My only major complaint it the turning radius. I was used to my '83 Volvo DL and was completely spoiled. The S80 has a terrible turning radius. Would I buy this car again - yes but I like the newer models better."

Very Solid Car

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Smooth Ride, Decent Mileage, Comfortable Interior"

Cons: "Repairs at the dealership are can get expensive"

"I purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 about five years back with miles. It replaced a 1994 Volvo 850 SE 2.5 with over 190k miles on it. Around this same time I began commuting more than 500 miles/week for work so it was important to have another practical and comfortable vehicle. The S80 certainly excels in both of these categories. Needless to say, I have had very good luck with this car. It has consistently delivered a smooth and quiet ride day after day. The interior of the car is very well designed and functional. Admittedly I do use mid-grade gas, change the oil religiously with full synthetic and flush the coolant and transmission regularly, which probably added to its reliability. At 100k miles I replaced timing belt, drive belt, water pump, etc. which was a bit costly. Other than that, issues have been limited to slightly broken/worn trim pieces and necessary suspension/front end repairs (mostly due to very rough New England roads). Fuel economy averages at 27 MPG which is not terrible (much better than what it's rated for). Certainly better suited for highway driving but fine on rural roads and in the city. For a FWD its surprisingly good in snowy conditions with the right tires. Compared to other cars in its class from 2000, I feel the S80 is still fairly stylish and modern looking. I would certainly recommend this vehicle, or any other Volvo I've driven, to anyone looking for a very solid car."