2003 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 321 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Love,Love,Love this car!!

By on Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 S80 2.9 brand new in Aug., '01. Many minor issues and a couple "medium" issues yet, nothing major. I am 38 and have owned 14 autos in my life. This one was the 13th. I can't get used to any other car now. It's been my absolute favorite. I've even tried to dislike it and I just can't! Purchased a brand new Lexus(S80s repair and upkeep are why I bought the Lexus) and I still can't wait to drive my S80 after! Have to admit that the repair and maintenance bills are HIGH and it is VERY hard to find anyone besides the dealership to do proper work on it. I've even slept in the car(in safe places, of course) as opposed to staying in a hotel because it so comfortable, safe and sound. Please do your homework before buying any Volvo though. They aren't for everyone. The upkeep on these vehicles is extremely expensive. I've respectfully listened to and have read ALL current reviews on this car, from '99 'til now (ending '08) and have to say, I have ZERO tolerance for BIG car repair/issue bills, so, I hope that my "baby" doesn't disappoint me in the future. Buy a Volvo, if you can afford it. Specifically the S80, if it suits all your needs. I only have 46,000 miles on it! Reviews are scaring me a little!!"

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

"This is now my 10th car-have owned everthing under the sun over the years. I bought my S80 used with 60,000 miles and it has never given me trouble. It now has 135,000 on it. I am an architect and do a ton of driving-The Volvo-is the car most found in the parking lot of the our firm-Smart Architects buy this car. The S 80 is so comfortable on long drives. The sound system is superior. The build is true volvo-There is a web site called my volvo saved my life-The construction is superior and well built. At 135K I am torn-trade it in? Next car-you guessed it-S 80..."

A joy to drive, expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, fun to drive, great gas mileage, even in the city"

Cons: "leather seats wear out and moon roof tends to rattle"

"We picked this vehicle up at the factory in Sweden and have had it for 11 years. It is smooth drive, very responsive and takes to the highway like a dream. It is however, expensive to maintain as parts and mechanics are not the easiest to find. The leather seats quickly wore out and we ended up with cloth covers to hide the wear and tear, and the moon roof rattles in high winds. This is probably because it is an older vehicle, but has put me off any kind of hole in the roof for future vehicles. The main reason we continue to hold onto this car is the mileage....this older, large car (it is considered a luxury vehicle in the insurance world)still manages to achieve over 26 miles to the gallon! Something that in any economy is worth the ownership. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a luxury vehicle that still gets great gas mileage."

Very Dependable

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my 1999 s80 for $3,500 with 132,000 on it a few years ago. I now have over 200,000 on it and have put very little money into it. The suspension finally needs to be replaced but I cant complain. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone I know."

A service nightmare with no end...

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Got this car from a deceased relative in 2006. Thought I had it made. 2 months later the transmission was gone and it cost me 3700. Less then a year after that had to have it replaced again. 4 years later and over $11,000 in repair bills, I have had enough."