• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2003 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Not like the ole school volvos

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

"I had to rebuild the Transmission at 112K and the Engine at 190000 which was overdue. I had an experience with a Volvo Dealer just like the other guys' review. Lights on after the Tranny Rebuilt so the Transmission guy said the tires are low in air and he filled them and allll the lights went off. I had already paid Volvo Dealer for diagnostic and they said it needed several sensors when in reality all it needed was proper air level. The Volvo dealer said they will come back on sooner or later but it's been 3yrs since the Tranny work and they never did come back on... what a shameful diagnostic by Volvo!"

VERY GOOD CAR FOR ME

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "GREAT SOUND SYSTEM, VERY COMFORTABLE FOR TRAVEL, VERY STYLISH"

Cons: "DOESN'T HOLD IT'S VALUE WELL"

MY BABY

"I purchased my S80 in 2006 it is a 2002 an had 67,000. I hav looked @ the othr reviews on this vehicle and I am sorry the other people have had such bad experiences. My volvo has been very good 2 me I hav had it goin on 6 years now an the only major thing I've had 2 do is replace both catalyc converters. I hav had 2 do suspension an brakes but that is expected of a used vehicle. My only other issue is that it doesn't hold it's value well. Oh an I hav an excellent mechanic. Overall it gets a thumbs up."

MY BABY

day to day problems costly

By on Monday, May 18, 2009

"This car makes you feels afe and handles well on the road, however, it is very expensive to maintain and the most random things that occur cost a lot. Tires are alwyas 1000, brakes, 1000, many problems with the STC sensor and the ABS sensor which goes off all the time. It will cost about 1200 to repair the module, which only costs about 200, the rest is labor. It is worth it if you want a safe car, but be prepared to pay aobut 1000 per year just to maintain it. ALso, be aware the the oil changes at 5000-7500 miles is for synthetic oil changes. Most oil places do not know this and will mess you up. I found out the hard way after 3 years of waiting the 5000-7500 miles only to have problems. Finally, this car will not last long in areas wher eit is used for stop and go or short distances. It was made for long driving. Instead of lasting 250000 miles, you might get 150000 before any drive train issues. when getting repairs, go to the dealer. Most foreign auto shops are not trained on s80'sand they end up calling the dealer to trouble shoot."

Don't buy

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"I have had my 02 S-80 since new. Needed new transmission at 45000 miles(neighbor's replaced at 22000miles).Uncomfortable to drive for a man.Advised needs new brakes at 55000 miles but must also replace rotors. Weather stripping falling off. Will not buy another."

2003 S80T6 repair costs!

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"I bought this car after a three year lease, looked great, did some digging and found out it was owned by a 50+ year old male. So I bought it with around 45,000 miles on it and loved it at first site. Luckily, I opted for a mid grade warranty. I soon found out, its a nice car with tons of nice bells and whisltes. Those bells cost alot to fix. I had my car in the dealer over 6 times for a window actuator which kept freezing my passanger window from moving. It was fixed with no problem and luckily hasnt since. Word of advice, if you didnt know already, the most expensive place to go is to a dealer for anything! But nice they were, a brake pad swap costed me over $500, did it with a buddy cost me $100. The moral is find a good mechanic and have him do it all. Around the 90k mile mark coasting on the highway, my tranny locks in 3, or 4th gear. They reset the pc, all set....two weeks later the tranny blew. Had a private tranny company fix it for $2800. Not to mention the 7.3 qrts of syntheic it needs to run that little powerplant. All in all, great looking, running, fast car. But, any 25 or under drivers beware, i understand cars break but make sure you have the wallet to afford it! Hope this helps."