2003 Volvo S80

7.2

Based on 317 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.4/10

Pricey

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"It's a GREAT car but when things go wrong it's expensive to fix. It hasn't had much go wrong with it but when it does get ready to get your wallet out!"

First & LAST Volvo(LEMON) that....

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

".....I will ever own. What a LEMON this Volvo became once it hit about 30k miles. I have spent $9k keeping this piece of junk running the last 4 years. I just kept thinking the last problem would be it. But no...the problems just coming. It would take $1,000+ EVERY time I showed up for service. It was a good comfortable performer but what a waste of money and time keeping it going. DO NOT buy a Volvo...Ever. New or used."

Love,Love,Love this car!!

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 S80 2.9 brand new in Aug., '01. Many minor issues and a couple "medium" issues yet, nothing major. I am 38 and have owned 14 autos in my life. This one was the 13th. I can't get used to any other car now. It's been my absolute favorite. I've even tried to dislike it and I just can't! Purchased a brand new Lexus(S80s repair and upkeep are why I bought the Lexus) and I still can't wait to drive my S80 after! Have to admit that the repair and maintenance bills are HIGH and it is VERY hard to find anyone besides the dealership to do proper work on it. I've even slept in the car(in safe places, of course) as opposed to staying in a hotel because it so comfortable, safe and sound. Please do your homework before buying any Volvo though. They aren't for everyone. The upkeep on these vehicles is extremely expensive. I've respectfully listened to and have read ALL current reviews on this car, from '99 'til now (ending '08) and have to say, I have ZERO tolerance for BIG car repair/issue bills, so, I hope that my "baby" doesn't disappoint me in the future. Buy a Volvo, if you can afford it. Specifically the S80, if it suits all your needs. I only have 46,000 miles on it! Reviews are scaring me a little!!"

I love driving this car!

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"I bought this car a year and three months ago with 123,000 miles on it from a small local dealer. I agonized briefly because I had read bad reviews about the 1999 model year. This is not the turbo model. When I bought it, it was not perfect. There were many imperfections, dings, nicks, etc. but it drives like a dream and I no longer enjoy driving any of our other cars. We now have 159,000 on the vehicle, and we have had a few quirky problems - key sticks in lock on occasion and we have to wait to get it out, a side light fell out and we had to glue it back on, the side part of the headlight fell out recently and we had to duct tape it in place until we have the time/money to get it replaced (the duct tape works well for now). Most likely the rubber around the side headlight is worn. As you can see, we can put up with less than perfect cosmetic features. The car is quiet and driving this car is the most restful experience that I have ever had with a vehicle. The one major problem that we did have, but that most likely comes with age, is that we had to replace some front and rear bearings/struts. The cost was around $1,500. Other than that, no major repair and regular oil changes at Prompto. The electric windows tend to squeak on occasion when you roll them down. The steering seems to grind when you make hard turns while getting in and out of a driveway or parking lot, but the Volvo service rep told me not to worry - that this has to do with the age of the vehicle - that the "stops" are worn - but not a concern at all. What's also nice is that if you forget to close the sunroof, the interior does not get wet. So, some of you may say - hmmmm.... lots of imperfections. This car has impressive safety features - 6 airbags, decent fuel economy (26 to 28 mpg average for combination city and highway with regular fuel), plenty of room for five people, large trunk, quiet interior, good acceleration, elegant styling and details, solid front end and sides panels. It is a perfect car for enjoying the road! The quality and serenity of the driving experience is the reason why I love this car."

2001 S80

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"I was so excited to buy my 2001 S80, it was used with only 29,000 miles. I have been horribly disappointed. I will never buy another Volvo. It has been in the shop with major mechanical problems more times than I can remember. Also, now small "extras" are falling apart in the interior and are not covered under the warranty - cubby hole sliding cover, cigarette lighter, cover for moonroof, weather stripping on doors, etc. So much for a luxury car."

A joy to drive, expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Smooth ride, fun to drive, great gas mileage, even in the city"

Cons: "leather seats wear out and moon roof tends to rattle"

"We picked this vehicle up at the factory in Sweden and have had it for 11 years. It is smooth drive, very responsive and takes to the highway like a dream. It is however, expensive to maintain as parts and mechanics are not the easiest to find. The leather seats quickly wore out and we ended up with cloth covers to hide the wear and tear, and the moon roof rattles in high winds. This is probably because it is an older vehicle, but has put me off any kind of hole in the roof for future vehicles. The main reason we continue to hold onto this car is the mileage....this older, large car (it is considered a luxury vehicle in the insurance world)still manages to achieve over 26 miles to the gallon! Something that in any economy is worth the ownership. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a luxury vehicle that still gets great gas mileage."

Very Dependable

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I bought my 1999 s80 for $3,500 with 132,000 on it a few years ago. I now have over 200,000 on it and have put very little money into it. The suspension finally needs to be replaced but I cant complain. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone I know."

A service nightmare with no end...

By on Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Got this car from a deceased relative in 2006. Thought I had it made. 2 months later the transmission was gone and it cost me 3700. Less then a year after that had to have it replaced again. 4 years later and over $11,000 in repair bills, I have had enough."

2004 S80 AWD - BUY USED

By on Friday, May 29, 2009

"I purchased the car used 3 years ago with 48,000 miles from a local individual with all maintenance records. I paid 1/3 the original sticker price with every option Volvo offered. You get a lot of car for not a lot of money. I now have 85,000 miles registered, and I've driven the car from Mexico to Oregon in 100 degree weather to 3 feet of snow. The car is extremely comfortable, reliable, great gas mileage - for a large four door sedan (I drove the car from Orange County, CA to Phoenix, AZ on a tank of gas), and handles superbly in winter conditions (AWD). I've replaced brakes, rotors, and tires, which is standard for any car (you can purchase all the OEM parts for half the price on ebay and have the Volvo dealership install them). I'm disappointed in the faux wood trim and cup holder, but that is my only complaint. My friends made jokes about me driving a Volvo, but after they drove the car from Southern California to Lake Tahoe for a ski trip, they all fell in love with it. Seats 4 comfortably with all your luggage. Dealer mechanic told me the AWD 2.5T was the best and most reliable engine in the S80 series."

Don't be deceived

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"This car may look appealing, but is heavy maintenance and questionable reliability. I'm having to ditch mine due to the ongoing issues. It has been a highly dissatisfactory experience to own a volvo, 2000 S80. I would not recommend this vehicle or a volvo to anyone. My wife was right, it's a piece of junk."